PDA

View Full Version : bbfc admits no provable link between games and violence

Danny
27-Nov-2007, 11:57 AM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/bbfc/bbfc-admits-no-proven-link-between-games-and-violence-326738.php

about.damn.time.:rolleyes:

_liam_
27-Nov-2007, 02:50 PM
but then no proof it does is also no proof it doesnt, so i imagine the tedious arguments will continue

Danny
27-Nov-2007, 03:05 PM
true. but this is a decision based on research , not shock mongering like jack thompson.

MinionZombie
27-Nov-2007, 04:00 PM
I think the simple fact that while millions of people play violent video games - and have done for many years - but there aren't millions of lunatics out there, just goes to show there's nothing to worry about.

I read something, to do with the appeal over Manhunt 2 at the BBFC, with some gamer or something saying something along the lines of 'I think gamers would be disappointed with the level of violence' - meaning gamers would not like the game because it's got unnecessary violence - and this is the crazy thing, the only reason the first was so popular was shock value and 'I wonder what this is all about then' purchases - the fuss in 2004 in the UK over it caused the game to fly up the sales charts to #1 again.

Same thing with Manhunt 2, but probably to a lesser extent as it's more of the first one essentially.

But indeed, I've heard a lot of gamers bitch about Manhunt 2, the sort of thing that never gets talked about on any of these reactionary news reports from Fox News or whatever, too busy assuming and mis-profiling the gaming community, rather than sitting down to see how it actually is.

And how it actually is - is violent games are fine and dandy, just like violent movies...and just like movies, they're not everybody's cup of tea.

I think it's such a retarded argument, gamers have to constantly defend themselves and their pastime against a bunch of idiots who refuse to understand the culture properly, if at all.

Danny
28-Nov-2007, 05:45 AM
and in the same week bigger douche than jhon edward, jack thompsons being taken for court about misconduct in his campaign against video games were people die, including the likes of mario and pokemon.
needless to say the nutjobs never won a case about violent videogames so how hes going to defend himself when hes said animal crossing makes you vandalise is beyond me.... and him, so he ****ed.