PDA

View Full Version : Ebook Readers

Geophyrd
28-Nov-2007, 04:29 PM
Has anyone ever read a book with one of these? I'm looking at the Sony Reader and the Amazon Kindle. They look like amazing products. I went to a Sony store yest and played with the reader for a few minutes and found it very cool.

Anyone have any thoughts to share? (And yes, I know. I can read ebooks on my laptop and/or treo. But as a dedicated reader, this technology is pretty nifty)

Danny
28-Nov-2007, 04:37 PM
i only read e books on my monitor, but i prefer the good old feel and smell of a musty old paperback anyday.

MaximusIncredulous
28-Nov-2007, 10:36 PM
i only read e books on my monitor, but i prefer the good old feel and smell of a musty old paperback anyday.

Same here. Nothing like feeling the weight of the book, turning the pages, black print on paper, catching the smell of the pages, especially on a 30 or 40 year old book when they used stinkier paper. Only thing I can't stand are paperback covers that use that plastic layer that peels off from the edges of the cover after a few reads.

MikePizzoff
28-Nov-2007, 11:45 PM
i only read e books on my monitor

? There's somewhere else you can read them from?

kortick
29-Nov-2007, 12:31 AM
http://www.filamentbookclub.com/

when you join the e book club they give you a free reader

check out the site

a friend of mine joined and she is happy with it

if its good for you, I dont know

Neil
29-Nov-2007, 08:56 AM
That reader gets 'mediocre' reviews I believe!?

http://www.webstead.org/eb1150/index.html

Geophyrd
29-Nov-2007, 02:21 PM
I went to a Sony Style store...the Reader is WAY cool, thinner than it looks on the web. Can't go look at a Kindle. I like the way Kindle communicates wirelessly and on the fly, but it doesn't do PDFs or DOCs well.

As to the Irex...that's clearly the best of both worlds but its almost $700. I wish I knew someone who's used either one of them...

Yojimbo
29-Nov-2007, 05:28 PM
Call me old school, but I prefer books. I don't know if I would haul around a reader where I could misplace it, and having misplaced a lot of books in my time in airports, at the beach, on trips, etc., I can say that while that was a bummer, at least I was only out $10.00 at the most. Sure would hate to leave my reader somewhere.

MaximusIncredulous
29-Nov-2007, 10:14 PM
You know if we gets into a Road Warrior or Dawn deal and we have some quiet time, books, where ever they can be found, will be of great help. That Kindle thing won't be worth a damn.

Legion2213
29-Nov-2007, 10:54 PM
I actually read "I am Legend" on my monitor years ago, it was hard on the eyes, I love books for the reasons that others have mentioned...some of my books are older than me. :D

That Amazon kindle does look a bit tasty though, I particularly like the fact that it doesn't have backlighting, so it would be easy on the eyes. Probably a good buy if you travel a lot but also enjoy a lot of reading.

Mike70
29-Nov-2007, 11:18 PM
i find it really hard to read books off of a computer monitor. i am in total agreement with several other folks - nothing beats the feel of a book (at least if your talking about reading).:shifty:

Geophyrd
30-Nov-2007, 12:32 PM
It uses electronic ink. I know it SOUNDS like a monitor, but when it draws the letters, there's no power loss maintaining them. And it really doesn't look or feel much like a monitor, at least not on the Reader. Haven't handled a Kindle yet but PCMag did a comparison and said the screens are the same and very easy on the eyes. I can validate this. When I played with the Reader, it felt good in the hand and read very easily. It also could resize fonts if needed.

What it was, was cool. I'm going to get one, but I may wait a while, see if the prices come down.

Danny
30-Nov-2007, 12:55 PM
I actually read "I am Legend" on my monitor years ago, it was hard on the eyes, I love books for the reasons that others have mentioned...some of my books are older than me. :D

aye i get you, i read that free zombie novel 36 hours, thats a few hundred pages long and i read it in one sitting, me eyes were straining after that and scrolling with a mouse instead of a tablet pens a beeyatch.

- seriously i hate scrolling with a mouse, roll on when my new wacom bamboo tablet arrives next week.