PDA

View Full Version : quantum entanglement...

Mike70
29-Nov-2007, 01:29 AM
set your brains to frizzle fry.

quantum entanglement has been a known fact for quite some time. the gist is two particles can become "entangled." this means that whatever effects one instantaneously effects the other-without any information (or anything else for that matter) passing between the two. distance has no bearing on this. it works at 10 feet, 10,000 miles or from one side of the galaxy to another. einstein was very spooked by it. it is possible to create naturally entangled particles in the lab (see the book "the god effect" by brian clegg) which opens a whole realm of tech applications- for instance, computers that could do so many tasks/calculations per second that they would make the most advanced supercomputers in the world look like commodore 64s and radios that could communicate across any distance without a time lag. well new research suggest that entanglement functions on much larger scales than ever before. here is the article from new scientist:

http://www.biophysica.com/quantum.htm

Neil
29-Nov-2007, 08:47 AM
set your brains to frizzle fry.

quantum entanglement has been a known fact for quite some time. the gist is two particles can become "entangled." this means that whatever effects one instantaneously effects the other-without any information (or anything else for that matter) passing between the two. distance has no bearing on this. it works at 10 feet, 10,000 miles or from one side of the galaxy to another. einstein was very spooked by it. it is possible to create naturally entangled particles in the lab (see the book "the god effect" by brian clegg) which opens a whole realm of tech applications- for instance, computers that could do so many tasks/calculations per second that they would make the most advanced supercomputers in the world look like commodore 64s and radios that could communicate across any distance without a time lag. well new research suggest that entanglement functions on much larger scales than ever before. here is the article from new scientist:

http://www.biophysica.com/quantum.htm

Shame the hyperthetical example of the entangled pair and either side of the Universe is nothing more than that... ie: The particals have to become entangled by the two being next to each other to start off with, so you'd then have to 'move' them to the ends of the Universe which of course is rather difficult :)

None-the-less I can understand why it is considered 'spooky'...

Kaos
29-Nov-2007, 01:09 PM
Shame the hyperthetical example of the entangled pair and either side of the Universe is nothing more than that... ie: The particals have to become entangled by the two being next to each other to start off with, so you'd then have to 'move' them to the ends of the Universe which of course is rather difficult :)

None-the-less I can understand why it is considered 'spooky'...
Well kind of... they can now entangle particles via teleportation. It is a component of the quantum computers in development.

AcesandEights
29-Nov-2007, 01:41 PM
That was a cool article! I know so little about this end of science and your summary was actually quite helpful and interesting.

DeadJonas190
30-Nov-2007, 02:44 AM
I own that book and have read it. The theory is spooky, but the things that could be accomplished through quantum entanglement is phenomenal.

Have any of you seen Southland Tales? It actually uses quantum entanglement in the story line.

Mike70
30-Nov-2007, 02:58 AM
I own that book and have read it. The theory is spooky, but the things that could be accomplished through quantum entanglement is phenomenal.

i think the spookiest thing in the book is the fact that a radio capable of instantaneous transmission would be capable, under certain circumstances, of actually sending a message that travelled backwards in time.