PDA

View Full Version : Call Of Duty 4

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2007, 02:09 AM
Who on these forums has this game? Just bought it tonight and am loving the crap out of it. Played it for 2.5 hours and ranked up to 7 (Corpral). I wouldn't mind playing with some HPotD members.

Also, this game isn't just great for the multiplayer. I played through 3 levels of single player and it's absolutely amazing. I can clearly see why GameInformer gave this a solid 10. :thumbsup:

Craig
01-Dec-2007, 11:02 AM
I really don't like the CoD games for what they did to the WWII genre but since this is modern warfare I might buy it... Mainly because I don't have many games to play on XBL.

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2007, 12:06 PM
my gf is getting me this for christmas. she said she'd get it early for me, but as i've got a five-page paper due on this upcoming tuesday, i think it'd be best if i waited another few days. i'll let ya know when i get it.

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2007, 01:59 PM
Craig - why don't you like what COD did to the WW2 gaming genre? Surely it only did good, because I'd say it's the pinnacle of the genre.

I've got COD4, but don't have XBL, so can only talk about the single player - and it's superb, it's an awesome game. The Chernobyl/Pripyat level is utterly intense, you'll be on the edge of your seat throughout (unless you don't have a soul). It's balls-out gripping.

The end of the first act is also superb, make sure you move - because you can - but because it means you get to see all the awesomeness of the end of Act 1. No spoilers there, but let's just say it's great.

A SexBox369 without COD4 is like ... well, something cool without something utterly necessary. :cool::):thumbsup:

Tricky
01-Dec-2007, 03:00 PM
Call of duty did quite well for the world war 2 genre i think,apart from the stupid halo style healing method where you could charge an MG42 head on,then just hide for a second while your health miraculously recovered :rolleyes:
I think for a lot of people,if they actually took in what the game was really about,they will have learned a fair bit about world war 2 seen as schools refuse to teach about it these days.Personally,after playing the games,i read up on the battles that the game was based around to see what really happened & how accurate the game was.The battle for pointe du hoc stands out as the finest moment in the CoD world war 2 series,i thought it was great how you fought up the cliffs,through the bunkers & onto the road,then were pushed right back to the start by the german counter attack.I like it in a game where you get beaten back by superior enemy forces rather than just been an unstoppable one man army all the time.Ive just bought this months PC gamer which has a demo of CoD4 so im going to fire it up later,im going to finish crysis before i buy it though :)

slickwilly13
01-Dec-2007, 04:31 PM
I rented and beat the game rather quick, but I believe I played it on PS3 and not the 369. Btw, there's an Easter Egg in the game. I mentioned this on my review. Let the ending credits roll through and you'll see it.

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2007, 05:54 PM
Indeed, a bonus level. Short but pure COD drama.

Tricky - I think you'll enjoy it. It's still got the heal thing, which is better in terms of realism (loose realism :D) than picking up conveniently placed health packs lying around, hehe. But if you're in the bloodshot eye mode you're close to kicking some bucket, and it does take a short while to get away from that, in which time - if you're not somewhere properly safe - you'll be shot, or 'naded.

As for the back-and-forth you liked in Pointe du Hoc, there's a level in COD4 where you are defending against an attack and are pushing back - it's sheer panic - and you get to blow C4 charges. You're pushed right back with your backs against the wall, so-to-speak, then you have to push back against the attacking forces to get not only get back to where you were, but beyond that to get to the waterside for your extraction where a chopper is waiting.

It's chaotic stuff.

I wonder what level the demo will be, probably the ship - which is the first level. A great level, the escape is dramatic alright.

Craig
01-Dec-2007, 06:59 PM
Craig - why don't you like what COD did to the WW2 gaming genre? Surely it only did good, because I'd say it's the pinnacle of the genre.
Well being quite interested in WWII I realised how bad and unrealistic a lot of it (not everything) was. It was completely overshadowed in my mind by Red Orchestra.

But anyway, I probably will get this, because I can also appreciate arcadey shooters as well, as long as they don't try and do WWII.

Is there a demo on marketplace?

Tricky
01-Dec-2007, 06:59 PM
Ive played the demo now,i have to say im mighty impressed with it!the level you play is one where your in a middle eastern city & have to go & rescue a stranded tank,theres a few firefights through buildings,2 tanks to knock out on an overpass (damn,i love that missile launcher)knock out an AA gun & then call in a pair of cobras to blast a building.It looks absolutely beaut on my system,and theres some nice little touches on show,if your stood near someone firing a gun you can see the heat shimmers from the end of the barrel!
I love the dragunov as well,you can knock 'em down with that bad boy!

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2007, 09:55 PM
Ah yes, that'll be "The Bog", one of the levels from the first act - and a superb level in itself. Yeah I loved that level, excellent stuff. And hell yes, I gawped like a teenager at boobs when I saw the heat shimmer from steamy-hot gun barrels too. :cool:

An absolute must-have, you won't be disappointed by the full game. If you loved COD 1 and 2, you'll love COD 4. It's like COD2 turned up to 11, in the modern setting...oh, and you don't really come across a swarm of enemies like on Hill 400 where it was kinda insane...but then again, there's fewer men on the ground in the modern combat field now so...

Wasn't it awesome that you see the laser traces in night vision mode? Did you save your comrade who got into a ruck with a bad guy on the staircase? Save him and it's an achievement on the SexBox...being the good boy I am I saved him straight away. :)

Tricky
01-Dec-2007, 10:10 PM
yeah the night vision looks cool!and i did save the guy on the stairs,yessiree!i like the effect when your aiming down the sights & things in the foreground go out of focus,its pretty sweet!

Maitreya
01-Dec-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't have it, but I've played it at my friends house.

It's incredible, I must say. Shock and Awe and that Gillie suit mission are hands down two of the coolest things I've ever seen in a war game.

ProfessorChaos
02-Dec-2007, 04:05 AM
okay, well, i couldn't hold off. got it tonight, only played it for a few minutes though...still got that damn paper to write. gamertag is in my signature, so send me a friend request if you wanna meet up....but identify yourself as a fellow hpotd freak, cuz there's too many halo brats who wanna buddy up just cuz we win a match together.

MinionZombie
02-Dec-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh it's an excellent game indeed.

I'm trying to resist the urge to play COD4 again now, what with all this talk here, because I've got some editing to do for a job I got at the last minute a couple of days ago - but it's not a huge thing, just a 5 minute thing, so it's no biggie...but it'd be better to get on with it, rather than give in to temptation and splurge out on a COD4 sesh. :)

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2007, 12:58 PM
You know what would be awesome - Call of Duty 5 set in Vietnam.

There's not really been a full on, proper-proper-proper Vietnam FPS game before. The best out there is Battlefield: Vietnam, but it's not really single player minded and has no story.

But take the intensity of the COD franchise and inject that into Vietnam and I reckon you'd get the defining Vietnam FPS game. I'm currently re-watching "Hamburger Hill" and I just got thinking, COD meets Vietnam would be incredible.

Craig
04-Dec-2007, 01:24 PM
There's not really been a full on, proper-proper-proper Vietnam FPS game before. The best out there is Battlefield: Vietnam, but it's not really single player minded and has no story.
What about Vietcong?

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2007, 01:50 PM
I thought it was crap personally. Didn't like it at all, didn't feel nice to play, meh...wasn't for me, but probably currently the best FPS-with-a-story Vietnam game out there.

But far from what could be the best, which would be Call of Duty: Vietnam...now that'd knock some socks off. :D

bassman
04-Dec-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm waiting for this one to go down in price before I get it. I'm definitely going to get it, though...

Wait a tick.....Christmas is coming....
*calls girlfriend to let her know about COD4*:p

MikePizzoff
04-Dec-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm waiting for this one to go down in price before I get it. I'm definitely going to get it, though...

Smart thinking; you can't wait for this one. I generally won't pay full price for games but this one is a must. Also, with it being such a big hit, I don't see the price dropping for quite some time.

ProfessorChaos
04-Dec-2007, 05:38 PM

circuit city has the game for $39.99 this week, at least here in the st. louis area.

sadly, my gf purchased this game for me the day before at best buy for $59.99, but due to their return policy, we got back 110% of the price difference...so that's pretty kick-a$$.

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2007, 05:40 PM
This is definitely a game worth paying the full wedge for, I even got the limited collector's edition as well. :D

Just re-played the Pripyat mission again, bloody good stuff. My heart was in my mouth again and my palms were sweating buckets.

Tricky
04-Dec-2007, 05:49 PM
I enjoyed vietcong,thought it was good for the time & it felt like a 'nam film with the music etc.Its one of those games you can only play through once though

SymphonicX
06-Dec-2007, 02:56 PM
COd4 is spectacular - I love it...so intense...the sniper level where you get chased by hundreds of enemies is simply amazing, so intense....I did it on heroic difficulty (whatever the second from hardest is) and it kept me playing for days....stunning....COD games are so intense, they really know how to create an atmosphere....unfortuanetly my xbox scratched the disk already...argh.

Love that game though, loved COD2 as well, amazing - but COD3 was a bit boring for me....still though I think what really makes this game is the sound, its not just effects laden like MOH, but every bullet, scream, shout and explosion is a direct result of what's happening in the game at that time, its so involving - reminds me of the first time I played MOH Frontline on the Ps2, the Omaha beach level....

I jsut realised how many times I said "so intense" in that post...

ProfessorChaos
06-Dec-2007, 05:44 PM
pretty intense post there....

haven't messed with too much of the story-missions, been busy with the online deathmatches, territories, etc. can't seem to get on for less that ten minutes before i get game invites from my buddies.

gonna have to check this out sooner or later.

MinionZombie
06-Dec-2007, 06:00 PM
The story is great I say, really intense...if I might say so...the previous COD games didn't have a story, and that was a failing - but now we have a story to link up the chaos and intensity, and in turn give it more meaning and more power.

And I still think the end of Act I is the best gaming moment I've had in, at the very least, recent months. Dude, play the story already! :)

MikePizzoff
06-Dec-2007, 08:09 PM
Dude, play the story already! :)

Dude, get XBOX Live, already!

CornishCorpse
09-Dec-2007, 03:29 PM
Graphics are good and the guns have some real kick to it, Im still worming my way through the story campaign but my main focus is the online multiplayer since this weekend is double points. Hoo ha, just got the Desert Eagle :D oh motherfu*in yeah.

I agree with Mike, MZ you need to try the online multiplayer! The perk system works so well and can change the whole of the game, Ive had some properly intense moments with this game. Im a big fan of the claymore, theres nothing like finding a good perch and hearing youre claymore explode on the floor beneath you. Then the second claymore. Jus feels so good to watch three guys storm the room and spray em all down.

Although the perk where you drop a grenade when you die is a real whore, I wish people would turn it off. Its an easy way to level up.

Point of the ramble is the multiplayer is the best Ive played for FPS and Im a big fan of the online parts of CS,BF2,ETQW,HALO 2 and more. Tis truly awesome and I love the holding youre breath for sniping and lung capacity can be increased with a perk.

MikePizzoff
09-Dec-2007, 07:00 PM
Although the perk where you drop a grenade when you die is a real whore, I wish people would turn it off. Its an easy way to level up.

I use that on a couple of my custom classes. I don't think it's cheap like a lot of people say; if you get blown up by a grenade dropped by someone you killed, then it's your fault for not paying more attention. I've learned to pretty much just stay away from bodies for a few seconds after killing them.

My favorite perk might be the one that lets you see enemy claymores. I've saved many team mates by yelling "STOP! CLAYMORE!" as they were running into a building.

This is the best FPS for team work that I've ever experienced. Everyone actually works together, unlike countless other online FPS' that I've played.

CornishCorpse
09-Dec-2007, 08:46 PM
I see where you coming from and alot of people do argue for it like the double jumping in counter strike..Its been put in for a reason. The problem is I have that as you will know the games quite fast paced, so while youre waiting for the nade to go off you will get cut down so you need to keep moving. Usually I managed to avoid it but its just such a b*tch seeing four guys get taken down by someone who is already dead.

You mean the bombsquad tactic? How do you see them? Do they get highlighted through walls or something? Since Ive only been blown up by explosives a few times never bother to turn it on.

Yeah youre right the teamwork is a great perk. Opposed to most FPS where everyone kills whatever they find and screw the rest of the team this game actually works. Theres nothing like looking up from prone position into the face of an enemy and having a buddy unload into em. :D

MikePizzoff
10-Dec-2007, 05:58 AM
You mean the bombsquad tactic? How do you see them? Do they get highlighted through walls or something? Since Ive only been blown up by explosives a few times never bother to turn it on.

It creates this warning icon with a skull/crossbones in it that appears when you're within like 15-20 feet of enemy claymores. Pretty cool and useful.

kidgloves
24-Dec-2007, 11:50 AM
God I love this game. Infinity Ward certainly have their own gameplay style when it comes to shooters. This game is very welcome in my collection after the mess that was COD3. That was a different developer though so its hardly suprising. I hope IW go straight ahead with COD5 and keep it inhouse.
Anyone who hasn't played this online needs there head testing. The game pricetag is worth it for that alone. The graphics, sound and game balance are truly oustanding.
Has anyone managed to get the mile high club achievement on veteran yet? Now that is tough. Just 20 Pts to go for the full 1000.

MinionZombie
24-Dec-2007, 02:38 PM
Ah mate, Mile Hile on Veteran...I tried that about 20 times and failed constantly. About as far as I could get was when the bit of the body blows out and the plane de-pressurises. :rolleyes:

I've heard that COD5 is going to be WW2 again - because it's not going to be Infinity Ward behind it, but rather the lot who did COD3. :rolleyes:

Come on, give it a rest already...also - if it's not by Infinity Ward, it shouldn't be a numerical COD game, in my opinion.

I still want an Infinity Ward COD-in-Vietnam game personally.

kidgloves
24-Dec-2007, 05:38 PM
The rumour about COD5 started because Treyarch who did no3 were advertising for map builders to work on a leading WWII franchise. Nothing confirmed yet but it does seem possible seeing how they staggered the releases of COD2/3/4.
An IW Vietnam game would be outstanding. I can see it now. Intense jungle firefights with Charlie swarming through the line and tracers everywhere.

MinionZombie
24-Dec-2007, 10:22 PM
Treyarch should do their own franchise, or at the very least stick to sub-titled COD games like "Big Red One", stop mixing up the numbers with the official & proper COD which is Infinity Ward.

Still gonna try out COD3 eventually, it's proper cheap these days now, so not much lost if it's total gash...but I'd imagine I'll get a good play out of it at least.

COD meets Vietnam would be awesome, I really hope they do that. It just makes sense.

LoSTBoY
24-Dec-2007, 10:26 PM
You know what would be awesome - Call of Duty 5 set in Vietnam.

MZ, get yourself Vietcong. Had a pretty good story with some good history in between missions. Still CoD could make a kick ass Vietnam game.

MinionZombie
25-Dec-2007, 09:17 AM
MZ, get yourself Vietcong. Had a pretty good story with some good history in between missions. Still CoD could make a kick ass Vietnam game.
Tried it before, didn't like it. :(

But COD would make a far better Vietnam game, with the games they've done thus far, you just know it'd knock the competition (which is very limited in terms of Vietnam FPS games) right outta the water.

It's odd, Vietnam is a very popular war for movies, but not for videogames...odd...maybe it's the inconclusiveness of it, maybe because the Americans didn't win in the end, because it wasn't clear cut like WW2 was.

But with games becoming more and more like interactive movies, you'd think it'd be time to get crackin' with it, mix it up a little.

Just imagine the scale of helicopter involvement from COD4, but with Huey's in 'Nam...having to evac the injured under a hail of gunfire as 'Charlie' comes charging down the hill before a massive napalm strike obliterates the landscape - trees fall and everything.

You could crawl through tunnels and take out secret lairs, blast into cities, hump through the jungle...take Hamburger Hill...oh my.

kidgloves
25-Dec-2007, 11:54 AM
S h i t. MZ. You're onto something there. Quick, email IW

Tricky
25-Dec-2007, 12:37 PM
Tried it before, didn't like it. :(

But COD would make a far better Vietnam game, with the games they've done thus far, you just know it'd knock the competition (which is very limited in terms of Vietnam FPS games) right outta the water.

It's odd, Vietnam is a very popular war for movies, but not for videogames...odd...maybe it's the inconclusiveness of it, maybe because the Americans didn't win in the end, because it wasn't clear cut like WW2 was.

I think the most serious stumbling block for Vietnam games has been the limitations of technology,a living,breathing & realistic jungle is extremely hard to render,vietcong had a fair stab at it i thought,but that was 4 years ago & you were still being pushed through corridors rather than having a spacious jungle to play in (running around like elias in platoon just before barnes shoots him would be cool,when he goes on that one man rampage).Best mission of the original Vietcong game was the one where you are dropped on that outpost to relieve some other troops,and you have to defend the hill from a strong vietcong attack in the pissing rain,its very hamburger hill & a good mission!
If you've played crysis though you'll know the technology is now there to have another stab at a decent vietnam game,its jungles are lush,theres wildlife,branches bend & twang as you walk through the scrub,& if you blast a clip through some bushes you can see each branch & leaf move with the impact,it looks very good,just right for 'nam!

MinionZombie
26-Dec-2007, 10:38 AM
Perzactly, the tech is now there, and with development time it'll only be up for improving. It'd be seriously awesome if IW did a 'Nam FPS war shooter. If they haven't already thought about it and said "that's a great fookin' idea", they're n00bs. :p

ProfessorChaos
27-Dec-2007, 10:23 PM
finally had time to finish the story mode over the holiday break, as my 360 has no internet connectivity back home. good times. gonna start unlocking some of those rare achievments now.