PDA

View Full Version : The Missing Piece of the Puzzle

SRP76
05-Dec-2007, 11:31 PM
There is something different that the early days of a Dead/Stand-type apocalypse would have, but I never thought of it until last night.

You see, I had a wacky-assed dream last night. In it, I found a pretty cool "survivor subset" for early days.

Let me tell you about it :D:

I was alone, on foot. Walking the streets of a city (I have no clue which). I only knew that walking sucks, and it would be great to have a car with me.

Just then, a van pulls up. A regular, older-model van, no frills. ide door opens, and I'm offered a ride. What luck!

Inside, is a group of 5 potheads. No problem, I'm not a DEA agent.

We ride around awhile (the blunt makes the rounds), getting to know one another. Suddenly, it occurs to us that we could use some quick money (since we are all broke).

My first thoughts are: daily labor, daily pay places. I'm figuring we're going to go to one of those places that will send us out to do a day of construction work.

Nope.

So, I figure: we're going to sell blood. Technically, plasma (they give you back your blood cells).

Nope.

Grasping at straws, I think: sperm donation? I'm going to beat for Benjamins?

Nope.

As it turns out, there is a new "first come, first hired, no questions asked" form of employment: Body transport!

Seems the world is backed up with dead bodies, so a little extra "pay as you go" manpower is needed. Cool.

We end up at a shipyard dock (or something that seems like one), where we find a heap of bodies, and a foreman. We are to take the dead bodies to a refrigeration unit across town. Easy money.

There are many people lined up for this work, so the limit is two bodies per group at a time. We wait in line, as other groups take their two bodies apiece and leave.

We get our two stiffs, stuff them in trashbags, and stick them in the back of the van. Payment is 20 bucks a stiff.

And, after dumping them, we can come back and take another two (it's only a two-stiff limit per visit; you can keep coming back).

We dump the bodies, each of us gets 3 bucks, and we put 2 in the gas tank. We then go back for more.

At this point, some assclown doesn't like our group coming back for more money, and tries to stab me. All hell breaks loose. Oddly, this is the only part of the dream that makes sense: it's like bums fighting over a panhandling spot. He wanted to make bank on the body trade.

...........ANYWAY......

The point of this:

I believe this kind of subculture would arise in the early days of any mass death/plague/last man on Earth type of scenario.

As far as I know, it has never been really explored yet, though. Might be an interesting little something to focus on, for all you writers out there.

Legion2213
06-Dec-2007, 09:04 AM
It's more likely that you'd find yourself doing stuff like this for a bowl of dodgy looking stew, with a gun at your back in a zombie outbreak.

The soldiers and law enforcement would be killing shamblers while shady militia types kept the proles earning their living.

I don't think their is a country on the planet who's "elected leaders" wouldn't welcome an event like this with open arms...

Constitution: Suspended. Civil Rights: Suspended. Human Rights: Suspended.

Martial Law: The rule of the day.

Mike70
06-Dec-2007, 02:36 PM
It's more likely that you'd find yourself doing stuff like this for a bowl of dodgy looking stew, with a gun at your back in a zombie outbreak.

The soldiers and law enforcement would be killing shamblers while shady militia types kept the proles earning their living.

I don't think their is a country on the planet who's "elected leaders" wouldn't welcome an event like this with open arms...

there would be one problem with this scenario in the USA. the population over here is armed to the teeth and has a willingness to use said armament. i think organized control would shatter- definitely at the local level. and i think that politicians being about as smart as your typical box of hand rubbed rocks would fart around until things were so far gone that it would be everyman for himself. i say good. let it shatter. hopefully there would be some survivors who might be able to start over and take a path that doesn't lead to deathwishland.

on another aside:

if there were a zombie outbreak, i think the police would be virtually erased very early on- being the first people exposed to these things and at a time when simply shooting them in the head on sight might not be "politically" acceptable - i think the police would suffer such tremendous casualties that they would be ineffective after a very short time- especially in places like britian where a lot of police are not equipped with shooting irons.

major jay
06-Dec-2007, 09:01 PM
Even in the worst of times there's an oppurtunity to make some money.

sandrock74
07-Dec-2007, 12:46 AM

I know this isn't from a Dead film, but in the novelization of Resident Evil : Extinction, it mentions how Detroit is one of the only big cities that didn't fall to the zombies, looters or general panic due to Martial Law being declared in the early days of the T-Virus outbreak. The Detroit Police, National Guard and the Umbrella Corps. own security personel in the city were under orders to shoot to kill anyone found in the streets after dark until morning. The results were that the zombie population was kept in check and any potential looters were too afraid to go out at night.
End results = city saved.
I thought that was cool since I do live in the Metro-Detroit area. With the bad reputation Detroit always gets, it's nice to see that somewhere, we did something right!

Detroit, where the Undead are shot in the head on sight. No questions asked.

SRP76
07-Dec-2007, 01:04 AM
Well yes, in a walking dead outbreak, it would be absolutely neccessary. Forget "freedom", your LIFE is on the line!

"Oh, I'd rather get eaten, dying in the most painful manner possible, than just stay in my house tonight". NO PITY!!

Not to mention the stupidity factor. If you know that you will be shot dead if you go outside, and you go outside anyway, that's choosing suicide. You knew you would be capped; by going out, you said, "shoot me, please". Once again, no pity.

The only way to save the world is to not allow panicky sheep to add massive numbers to the undead army.

Shadowofthedead
07-Dec-2007, 04:36 AM
that still doesnt account for the mutates that might venture into detroit.:elol:

sandrock74
07-Dec-2007, 04:51 AM
that still doesnt account for the mutates that might venture into detroit.:elol:

Eh, we'll kill them too.

Legion2213
08-Dec-2007, 05:49 PM
Eh, we'll kill them too.

Nemesis may kill you, you may not kill Nemesis. :D

http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/nemesis.jpg