PDA

View Full Version : One thing that's always bothered me about Dawn...

SymphonicX
06-Dec-2007, 04:59 PM
Weren't there three entrances to the mall? Roger got bitten on the second entrance....didn't he?

I swear after they block the first one Peter says "Come on baby, three more! Three more!" Surely Roger wouldn't be walking after being bitten...??

Legion2213
06-Dec-2007, 05:59 PM
There are 5 entrances according to the map that is included in the UE box set, 3 at the front and 2 at the back.

We should just assume that Roger gritted his teeth and got the job done. :)

SymphonicX
06-Dec-2007, 06:19 PM
maybe the other entrances were less populated....but...I mean he had some of the muscle bitten out surely, it certainly wasn't a flesh wound cos he couldn't stand later on....unless he took over as driver and peter somehow magically taught himself to hotwire it....? peter wasn't "too sure of this thing" - but I guess he learned quickly perhaps?

Legion2213
06-Dec-2007, 06:25 PM
Just one of those "movie" things I guess.

I can see how Peter could've helped him get out of the truck, and into another one at the truck place to hotwire them (where there were only a few zombies), I suppose it came down to Peter then parking trucks in front of the doors and legging it back to the shuttle truck and repeating that a few times.

Edit: DOH!!! I've just realised the flaw in my plan...two trucks were needed all the time.

MinionZombie
06-Dec-2007, 06:28 PM
Roger just gritted his teeth and got on with it I say. The bite wasn't massively deep, be it intentional or just the limitations of the effects at the time, but getting a huge chunk out would be rather tough to yank out, so a near-the-surface bite would be more likely, surely.

The way he was saying "you've got a lot to do before you can afford to lose me" to Peter demonstrates that fact I say. Peter was ready to stop, but Roger said to keep going and just got on with it. Once he was getting patched up he didn't look tooooooo bad, emotionally and physically I mean.

I think in the cab it's the shock and realisation of being bitten that made it all look worse than it was...well, worse in terms of the bites...it's bad no matter what, he's gonna zed-up in "no more than 3 days", so ... anyway, that's my view.

SymphonicX
06-Dec-2007, 06:48 PM
yeah its always the conclusion I drew but sometimes it just seems a bit outlandish that there were that many zombies and he was having trouble without the bite, let alone with it - in a way it would've been interesting to see what happens...
I always took the "more to get done" line about them locking the doors from inside and clearing the zombies out though....

bassman
06-Dec-2007, 06:52 PM
There are 5 entrances according to the map that is included in the UE box set

Map? What map? My UE didn't have a map.:rockbrow:

Legion2213
06-Dec-2007, 07:15 PM
Map? What map? My UE didn't have a map.:rockbrow:

Sorry, I should've been more accurate, the booklet that comes with the UE has a map of the mall in it.

BTW, is it just me or is the forum "all messed up" today...like, real slow and stuff?

bassman
06-Dec-2007, 07:42 PM
Sorry, I should've been more accurate, the booklet that comes with the UE has a map of the mall in it.

BTW, is it just me or is the forum "all messed up" today...like, real slow and stuff?

I don't remember the booklet having a map either. In fact, I don't remember there being a booklet except for the comic book. You are talking about the R1 four disk ultimate edition, right?

Legion2213
06-Dec-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't remember the booklet having a map either. In fact, I don't remember there being a booklet except for the comic book. You are talking about the R1 four disk ultimate edition, right?

Yep, there is a three page fold out thingy with the DVD contents on it and a little map/groundplan of the mall.

SRP76
06-Dec-2007, 11:20 PM
Fran: "You'll never make all four entrances"

There are FOUR entrances to the mall in the movie.

They blocked the second one, Roger got chewed on. They needed two more with Roger's bum leg.

Obviously, he toughed it out, hobbling between the trucks. At that point, it was just a wound; he wasn't totally crippled yet. He wasn't going to be running any marathons, but they only had a little left to do with Roger.

The script actually addresses this:

Roger: I WON'T BE ABLE TO WALK ON THIS AT ALL IF WE WAIT.

Peter: CAN YOU WALK ON IT NOW?

Roger: YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT, I CAN...DAMN RIGHT, I CAN!

jim102016
07-Dec-2007, 12:24 AM
Fran: "You'll never make all four entrances"

There are FOUR entrances to the mall in the movie.

They blocked the second one, Roger got chewed on. They needed two more with Roger's bum leg.

Obviously, he toughed it out, hobbling between the trucks. At that point, it was just a wound; he wasn't totally crippled yet. He wasn't going to be running any marathons, but they only had a little left to do with Roger.

The script actually addresses this:

Roger: I WON'T BE ABLE TO WALK ON THIS AT ALL IF WE WAIT.

Peter: CAN YOU WALK ON IT NOW?

Roger: YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT, I CAN...DAMN RIGHT, I CAN!

Maybe Roger hot wired three trucks when they got back truck yard so that he could be the pick up man as Peter had on the first two trips.

sandrock74
07-Dec-2007, 12:36 AM
I had always worked with the assumption that either Roger toughed it out (which is perfectly in the realm of believeability) OR they used Steven to shuttle them back to the truck place for the last two. Either way, it is all irrelevant to the overall pacing and end results of the movie...why waste time with it?

jdog
07-Dec-2007, 06:42 AM
roger just sacked up and got it done. it would be kewl to see how it went down but i always imagined it myself. thats what i love about GAR his movies get the imagination going and your mind fills in the gaps. at least for me it does.

jim102016
07-Dec-2007, 06:35 PM
I had always worked with the assumption that either Roger toughed it out (which is perfectly in the realm of believeability) OR they used Steven to shuttle them back to the truck place for the last two. Either way, it is all irrelevant to the overall pacing and end results of the movie...why waste time with it?

No detail is irrelevant when it comes to these forums!

Trin
07-Dec-2007, 07:02 PM
My Dawn came with a map too. By that I mean my most recent purchase of a newly packaged "ultimate" Dawn. How many times must I buy the same movie to get that one extra cut or one extra scene? :mad:

I also assumed he toughed it out. I think that's the most obvious explanation and what they hinted at when he said he was dealing with the leg.

ProfessorChaos
07-Dec-2007, 08:02 PM
i'm currently re-reading the novelization...can't remember how they address that in the book. i'll post it when i get that far.

btw, i always assumed roger just manned up and got sh!t done.

SymphonicX
10-Dec-2007, 02:43 PM
Hmm, I guess its not so feasible that the zombie took anything out of the muscle....but then if it was a flesh wound, why try to stop the bleeding with tearing a strip out of the seat? Maybe he was just bandaging it to stop the superficial bleeding....yeah....must've been less worse than it looked but considering that even the smallest bite from the undead causes you to get infected and die, makes sense...

dracenstein
10-Dec-2007, 05:13 PM
I assumed the bite wounds weren't too bad at the time, whilst his adrenalin was pumping him up, and he only needed one truck to hotwire, Peter blocked the third door and scrambled over to Roger's truck, then they used that truck to block the fourth door and Peter helped Roger onto the roof of the truck and Flyboy picked them up.

Hmmm. Obvious flaw with that is the helicopter blades on the mall wall. Ok, a fifth truck to go to a zombie-free zone for a lift back.

Or scramble into the middle of the car park on foot. A three legged race against a horde of zombies.

I vote for a fifth truck.