PDA

View Full Version : Goofy Catholics

Terran
07-Dec-2007, 08:46 PM
More schools to pull 'The Golden Compass'
Updated Wed. Dec. 5 2007 8:54 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Calgary's Catholic School Board is pulling "The Golden Compass" from school shelves -- a children's fantasy novel that criticizes strict religious dogma and encourages readers to keep an open mind.

A board spokesperson said the book has not been banned, but will be placed under review after the Christmas break.

"At this point, as a precaution, we've removed it from the shelves out of respect for the parents who have expressed concern," Judy MacKay told CTV Calgary.

The book's author, Philip Pullman, is an atheist.

The award-winning book was first published in 1995 and is part of a trilogy, but a movie version starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig is opening this Friday.

"The Golden Compass" had apparently been available at the board's school libraries for several years, but no parents had complained until recently.

Ontario's Halton Catholic District School Board yanked the novel from its library shelves about two weeks ago.

However, Halton students can still obtain the book by request.

Bishop Fred Henry of Calgary has said the board shouldn't be pulling the novel, with Catholics facing more pressing issues than a children's book.

The Catholic League in the United States has urged a boycott of the movie.

Some of Pullman's detractors think his work is either anti-religion in general or anti-Catholic in particular. Others merely say it's anti-establishment.

Britain's Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, head of the Anglican Church, has supported Pullman's books and counts himself as a fan.

The storyline of "The Golden Compass" describes the adventures of a 12-year-old English girl named Lyra who ends up going to the Arctic and then the edge of another universe where she engages in a battle of good versus evil.

In June, an online vote selected "The Golden Compass" as the best children's book of the last 70 years. The other competitors were also winners of the Carnegie Medal for children's literature.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071205/golden_compass_071205/20071205?hub=CTVNewsAt11
My favorite is the Boycott part....

Why werent people boycotting The Chronicles of Narnia because it might make kids christians....but apparently this is worth boycotting because it might make kids atheists....:rolleyes:

Danny
07-Dec-2007, 08:50 PM
to be fair if youve read them all you can see why, the final one has god as a feeble ,frail old invalid dying- remembering i think all religion is insane bollox i can still see why that would be offesnive to some people, though all librarys should have a sign outside saying "FREEDOM OF SPEECH - SUCK IT!", you dont have to like it but its not preaching its a fantasy tale adn thats that. thats all ive gotta say.

- oh and before anyone else does , yeah that joke about the bible being another fantasy tale got stale about 20 years ago, just fyi as i know someones sure thats still funny, its not, its older than the cake being a lie gag.

AcesandEights
07-Dec-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, at least they haven't started burning them (yet). :|

Khardis
10-Dec-2007, 12:16 AM
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071205/golden_compass_071205/20071205?hub=CTVNewsAt11
My favorite is the Boycott part....

Why werent people boycotting The Chronicles of Narnia because it might make kids christians....but apparently this is worth boycotting because it might make kids atheists....:rolleyes:

How DARE someone boycott something that offends their religious beliefs!!! Right? I mean... holy hell, the Catholic Church should be banned as an institution because they have those dreaded... beliefs EWWWWW.

Well, at least they haven't started burning them (yet). :|

You're thinking of Muslims I think.

acealive1
10-Dec-2007, 01:07 AM
the local catholic diocese in town got all up in arms about the movie,yet a father of a church here was accused of murdering a nun and got life for it like 30 years later. also theres been a rash of abuse claims on fathers and priests,but yea lets get to the important stuff and talk about a fictional movie :rolleyes::rolleyes:

they have issues better than a movie and they wont address them

AcesandEights
10-Dec-2007, 02:01 AM
You're thinking of Muslims I think.

Nah, if it was Muslims who were pissed, there'd be rioting and murder :barf:

kortick
10-Dec-2007, 02:54 AM
Well i am catholic
and we gotta have some fun.

Father Reillys a fairy but it dont bother Mary

You gotta keep in mind that a lot of these incidents
are local preists deciding these things
and are not orders from the Holy See (the Pope)
im sure the Pope isnt wasting his time reading
the golden compass, and only if he decrees something is it catholic law
not if some priest somewhere does

besides the title reminded me of a joke i heard at church of all places

mickey mouse was in court. The judge said "mickey, I cant grant you
a divorce from Minnie because you say she is mentally imbalanced."
Mickey look at him and says "Your honor, I didn't say she was crazy,
I said she was f*cking Goofy"

But in all honesty, people make fun of the catholic church,
I was visiting a friend in jail today, and a young man who was doing his first bid, and was cut off from his family called for his priest, and the priest came down and visited him and comforted him. thats more important than any sillyness about a book. being there for someone when they need you badly is
the real thing.

Terran
10-Dec-2007, 05:54 AM
I feel like I should just add a little clarification....Its no secret that Im "not a fan" of religon....but not in the sense that dislike material influenced by these beliefs...The mythologies surrounding various religions make great fodder for fiction...I think the 9th Gate is an awsome movie (though some really seem to hate it)...Likewise the whole satan angle in Paradise Lost is really awsome and I think would make a killer movie (or did they already do that with Bladerunner?)....I read the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe books as a kid and enjoyed them quite a bit.... I love the movie Jesus Christ Superstar, it rocks man

...The point Im trying to make is that it seems very silly to organize boycotts against fiction or remove fictional books from libraries based upon what influenced the work...Im not saying these groups shouldnt be able to boycott stuff or remove books from their private libraries....

Im just saying it makes them look ridiculous...
Is their confidence in the realistic sensibilities of their faith so fragile that they need to censor anything that questions it?

Additionally I like to point out(if it wasnt already obvious), I didnt mean all Catholics are goofy in relation to this article.....Im sure there are far more Catholics who do not care in the slightest whether this movie or the novels promotes atheism.....

This is the conversation I imagine in my head:

Some Guy: Did you hear that this Golden Compass book thingy supposively promotes atheism?
Regular Catholic: Really?...I just thought it was a kids movie with like fantasy crap all in it...
Some Guy: Well people are like protesting it because they claim it promotes atheism to kids....
Regular Catholic: Well I dont care, Im Catholic

capncnut
10-Dec-2007, 05:08 PM
Is their confidence in the realistic sensibilities of their faith so fragile that need to censor anything that questions it?
Mmm, don't get me started man...

DubiousComforts
12-Dec-2007, 11:53 PM
I mean... holy hell, the Catholic Church should be banned as an institution because they have those dreaded... beliefs EWWWWW.
Now that you mention it, yes, religious fundamentalists should be banned from forcing their beliefs on others. My religious freedoms end when I begin to infringe on the next person's beliefs. At least this is what I was always taught as a Catholic, though it's obvious others that share my faith have a difficult time living up to that ideal. What would Jesus say about the bad example they set for everyone?

People boycott products that are manufactured in a harmful or dangerous way for the sake of saving a few cents. So what is to be accomplished by boycotting a work of fiction? Political posturing seems the most likely answer. The Church has always sucked at politics and should stay out of it.

Legion2213
13-Dec-2007, 12:24 AM
"Britain's Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, head of the Anglican Church, has supported Pullman's books and counts himself as a fan."

Which sort of makes want to side with the Catholics - Rowan Williams is a dick, I can't stand the man....he's a new age hippy and shouldn't be anywhere near the church.

Anyways, if Catholics don't wish to have these books on their premisis, that's fine by me. As others have said, at least they haven't placed any fatwahs on the writer or started burning copies on the streets whilst threatening "massacres of those who insult the church"

And no, I 'm not religious

Khardis
13-Dec-2007, 02:30 AM
Nah, if it was Muslims who were pissed, there'd be rioting and murder :barf:

And fires, check out Paris.

I feel like I should just add a little clarification....Its no secret that Im "not a fan" of religon....but not in the sense that dislike material influenced by these beliefs...The mythologies surrounding various religions make great fodder for fiction...I think the 9th Gate is an awsome movie (though some really seem to hate it)...Likewise the whole satan angle in Paradise Lost is really awsome and I think would make a killer movie (or did they already do that with Bladerunner?)....I read the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe books as a kid and enjoyed them quite a bit.... I love the movie Jesus Christ Superstar, it rocks man

...The point Im trying to make is that it seems very silly to organize boycotts against fiction or remove fictional books from libraries based upon what influenced the work...Im not saying these groups shouldnt be able to boycott stuff or remove books from their private libraries....

Is their confidence in the realistic sensibilities of their faith so fragile that they need to censor anything that questions it?

Additionally I like to point out(if it wasnt already obvious), I didnt mean all Catholics are goofy in relation to this article.....Im sure there are far more Catholics who do not care in the slightest whether this movie or the novels promotes atheism.....

This is the conversation I imagine in my head:

Some Guy: Did you hear that this Golden Compass book thingy supposively promotes atheism?
Regular Catholic: Really?...I just thought it was a kids movie with like fantasy crap all in it...
Some Guy: Well people are like protesting it because they claim it promotes atheism to kids....
Regular Catholic: Well I dont care, Im Catholic

Boycotts aren't censorship, maybe thats where you are getting yourself confused. Boycotts are a very capitalist way of expressing dissatisfaction and raising awareness of a certain product that a group finds objectionable to their beliefs. The Boycott isn't meant to keep YOU from seeing the film, its meant to send a message to the producers etc of the film to say "we don't want this, we refuse to buy this, don't try to sell us this". And the producers make an informed decision there based on wether or not there is a large enough people out there who will feel that way. Clearly there isn't, so the film is going to make money. Where is the censorship?

Now that you mention it, yes, religious fundamentalists should be banned from forcing their beliefs on others. My religious freedoms end when I begin to infringe on the next person's beliefs. At least this is what I was always taught as a Catholic, though it's obvious others that share my faith have a difficult time living up to that ideal. What would Jesus say about the bad example they set for everyone?

People boycott products that are manufactured in a harmful or dangerous way for the sake of saving a few cents. So what is to be accomplished by boycotting a work of fiction? Political posturing seems the most likely answer. The Church has always sucked at politics and should stay out of it.

What is being accomplished?

Gee lets go down the checklist:

1. They are registering their dissatisfaction with the product on the grounds that it offends them morally.

2. They are raising awareness with fellow members of their group.

3. They are making an informed decision as consumers of products the producers of said film put out. Do you think the next time a movie like this will come out that its producers will take into account the sensibilities of Catholics or whoever might be offended? If they are businessmen they damned better if they don't want to lose money.

This is no different than all the groups of do-gooders out there who boycott cigarettes, Rap music, or Trans fats.

What do YOU care if these people don't want to give their money to a company that has offended them? They aren't stopping YOU from giving them your money are they? The minute that happens its no longer a boycott.

Speaking of boycotts, look up Rosa Parks and the Bus company boycotts at the time. Same story different elements.

"Britain's Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, head of the Anglican Church, has supported Pullman's books and counts himself as a fan."

Which sort of makes want to side with the Catholics - Rowan Williams is a dick, I can't stand the man....he's a new age hippy and shouldn't be anywhere near the church.

Anyways, if Catholics don't wish to have these books on their premisis, that's fine by me. As others have said, at least they haven't placed any fatwahs on the writer or started burning copies on the streets whilst threatening "massacres of those who insult the church"

And no, I 'm not religious

EXACTLY! They are simply using a legal right as consumers to raise awareness and not buy into a product. If we ban Catholics from doing that, when do we get to ban all the asshole anti smoking nazis who boycott big tobacco?

DubiousComforts
13-Dec-2007, 05:01 AM
If we ban Catholics from doing that, when do we get to ban all the asshole anti smoking nazis who boycott big tobacco?
Gee, an extreme pro-Christian, right-wing nutjob viewpoint. Big soo-prise.

clanglee
13-Dec-2007, 05:19 AM
Woah!!! I didn't see his statements as pro-cristian or right wing. He's simply saying that Religious nuts aren't the only ones who do this. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and all that. When you resort to calling someone a nutjob for laying out a well argued statement, it makes you look like an idiot.

Legion2213
13-Dec-2007, 05:45 AM
This is religious extremism...

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.image?id=6941

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41298000/jpg/_41298296_protest2-ap-203x300.jpg

And when I see Catholics acting like this I will be the first to condemn tham as extremist, nut-job right-wingers...until then, I will see them as folk who are excercising their legal right to boycot something in a free, democratic society.

clanglee
13-Dec-2007, 06:10 AM
Word!

mista_mo
13-Dec-2007, 01:21 PM
Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Khardis 100%. He has stated his side of the argument very well, and it makes perfect sense.

What do YOU care if these people don't want to give their money to a company that has offended them? They aren't stopping YOU from giving them your money are they? The minute that happens its no longer a boycott.

This however, I'm going to chalk up too a general anti-religious attitude.

but as has been allready said in this thread, at least the catholics aren't acting like religious extremeists. Check the post below mine (Legion2213s) for an example of religious extremism, and compare that to the general attitude the people who are boycotting the film are showing.

Also, as pointed out earlier, it isn't the church itself, it is the Catholic League, while the christian film and television commission, as well as the Roman Catholic church in England are waiting to see what happens.

either way, all of the controversy is probibly going to end up attracting a bigger audience.

Khardis
13-Dec-2007, 01:41 PM
Gee, an extreme pro-Christian, right-wing nutjob viewpoint. Big soo-prise.

Very mature response. Couldn't hack it with he logic so you had to resort to name calling eh? Figures.

Graebel
13-Dec-2007, 04:42 PM
Just think of how well the same attempt worked on JK Rowling. She's now one of the richest women in the world.

kortick
13-Dec-2007, 05:04 PM
People
pay attention

the pope has not come out to condemn this book

the catholic church IS NOT against it

some priest somewhere is. this is his doing
it is not sanctioned by the vatican
it has nothing to do with the catholic church itself.

its like saying a manager at walmart doesnt want
a certian product sold in the store he manages
means that the entire wal mart chain is boycotting this product.

vissionaerie
20-Dec-2007, 06:31 PM
my sons' father won't let me take the kids to go see it...he's a born again christian..

my children aren't allowd to do anything....they aren't allowd to watch harry potter, anything that deals with magic and anything that questions the faith

they aren't allowd to watch Pirates of the caribean because of the magic and all that is is a curse...

they can't play final fantasy or kingdom hearts...

my ex tells them they can watch something and then makes them feel guilty for it...if they decide to watch it now they just don't so they don't have to hear their father...most of the time

now when they are with me they can pretty much watch anything that i approve of ... granted it sounds hypicritical but i give them the choice of what they want to do...but i draw the line at extreme violence and language and sexual content..

they want to watch harry potter go for it

and the sad thing is they no fantasy from reality....

anyway the point i'm trying to get at is

the more people say something is bad(including my kids father)
the more kids are going to rebel when they get older and the more their going to lose faith in the faith...because one day they will realize how hypocritical faith can be....

major jay
20-Dec-2007, 10:00 PM
Taking religous ideals to an extreme always creeps me out. Maybe you can balance things a bit for them.

Neil
21-Dec-2007, 09:32 AM
Why is it all so one sided... My child has to go to school and get religious education etc etc... YET, it seems it's completely unfair for there to be material questioning religion?

Why is it so bad to get both sides of the argument and let the individual choose...? Is their faith so weak it's can't take questioning?

Mike70
23-Dec-2007, 06:24 PM
Why is it all so one sided... My child has to go to school and get religious education etc etc... YET, it seems it's completely unfair for there to be material questioning religion?

Why is it so bad to get both sides of the argument and let the individual choose...? Is their faith so weak it's can't take questioning?

yeah boi!

i'll second, third and fourth all those sentiments.

why is that mormons can come to my door pestering me with their inanity (to the point that i actually called the police) ; charlatan "preachers" can foul up the airwaves begging for money, priests can molest children while the high and mighty church covers their asses BUT YET you dare not question "beliefs."

beliefs bespleefs. just because you believe something does not in anyway, shape or form make it true. if a billion people believed with all of their hearts and minds that 2+2=5 would that make it true? would they be anything other than simply wrong and ignorant of the truth? would the attempt to show them 2+2=4 be labeled as heresy and the espousers of said heresy be persecuted, insulted, even killed? i think that is very much likely.

EvilNed
23-Dec-2007, 06:46 PM
Just another example of why religion is bad all-around.

Infact, a very dear friend of mine once said: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the Opiate of the people. "

Chic Freak
23-Dec-2007, 06:49 PM
Agreed. I'm suspicious of people who seem to get so freaked out at the idea of people reading/ viewing/ listening to something that could question what they believe in. Surely if they know what they believe is true, they don't have to worry so much about their faith being shaken?

If it's not so much the questioning as it is what they believe to be an insulting tone, then I can totally understand boycotting as a method of peaceful protest. Also, it's up to you to decide what your kids can and can't have access to.

I think what is totally our of order is saying what everyone else should do. Saying, "NO-ONE should read this book" is like saying "everyone MUST read this book" (and not in the enthusiastic book critic way, I mean in the "make it a law" way).

Terran
23-Dec-2007, 09:20 PM
Like I said earlier

Is their faith so weak it's can't take questioning?

:rolleyes:

Whatever.....

Thats why my responce was "Goofy ----"