PDA

View Full Version : What's the story with Bill Hinzman?

Purge
08-Dec-2007, 03:47 PM
I heard from several people that he and Romero had some sort of falling-out, and that his Revenge of the Dead was a sort-of "shove off" to the crew of the original Night. Anyone?

Dawg
15-Dec-2007, 09:47 PM
Are you referring to the 1985 film, 'Return of the Living Dead', which actually had nothing to do with Russo's 1973 novel, 'Return of the Living Dead'. (He also wrote the 1985 film adaptation of 'Return of the Living Dead', a completely different book than the first one!)

There was a 1983 film called, 'Revenge of the Dead', directed by Pupi Avati.

To answer your question though, I believe Russo just wanted to go his own way, don't know the whole story off the top of my head.

:dead: Dawg

DubiousComforts
16-Dec-2007, 05:39 AM
Are you referring to the 1985 film, 'Return of the Living Dead', which actually had nothing to do with Russo's 1973 novel, 'Return of the Living Dead'. (He also wrote the 1985 film adaptation of 'Return of the Living Dead', a completely different book than the first one!)
No, he's actually refering to Revenge of the Living Zombie, which was more recently released on DVD as Flesheater by Media Blasters. The story essentially revolves around Hinzman reprising his role as the cemetery ghoul from NIGHT. It's an abysmal movie, made even moreso by the obvious rip-off ending in which Vince Survinski reprises his role as a gung-ho posse member. He mistakens not one, but two lead characters as zombies, guns them down and then laughs about it. In his film, Hinzman got to burn down the farmhouse (a barn), which is the ending that Romero actually envisioned for NIGHT though he was made to settle for a regular bonfire. The burning barn adds nothing to Hinzman's film, trust me.

The original NIGHT filmmakers/investors were granted rights to produce spin-offs from the original film, most likely agreed upon following the split of both Image Ten and The Latent Image. That didn't prevent a lawsuit (Dawn Associates v. Links), however, which apparently had to do with Dawn's advertising campaign being infringed by one of Russo's properties.

Griff
16-Dec-2007, 12:31 PM
When I got to meet Hinzman (nice chap, by the way) he recounted the time that Romero turned up with this unknown Rubinstein guy and announced that they were gonna make movies together. Hinzman had worked with Romero on everything up to and including THE CRAZIES at the time, took a look at Rubinstein, and asked him what his credentials were. Of course, Rubinstein hadn't made a damn thing by that stage so Hinzman opted to go his own way.

As far as I know, there isn't any bad blood between Hinzman and the original NIGHT gang.

DubiousComforts
16-Dec-2007, 04:52 PM
Rubinstein hadn't made a damn thing by that stage so Hinzman opted to go his own way.
Rubinstein was a money guy. He didn't need any other filmmaking credentials than bringing in the cash. Not that I'm a huge Rubinstein fan, mind you, but apparently he was pretty good at his job.

Griff
16-Dec-2007, 08:08 PM
He didn't need any other filmmaking credentials than bringing in the cash.

Yes, which he hadn't done yet.

Not that I'm a huge Rubinstein fan, mind you, but apparently he was pretty good at his job.

Indeed. He helped get George out of a million dollars in debt by doing 'The Winners' series and later, having co-financed MARTIN out of his own pocket, got the man making movies again.

But I guess to Hinzman back in '73, he was just a nobody that liked to talk big.

DubiousComforts
16-Dec-2007, 10:59 PM
But I guess to Hinzman back in '73, he was just a nobody that liked to talk big.
Was Hinzman an investor in Image Ten? Given the times they'd been burned, any reluctance to believe in big talkers is understandable, but apparently all they'd ever bitched about prior to DAWN was lack of money.

I'm just glad that we got Mike Gornick out of the deal. :D

Mike70
21-Dec-2007, 03:20 AM
I'm just glad that we got Mike Gornick out of the deal. :D

mike gornick is a great cinematographer and it is a shame that he hasn't done anything in ages.

C5NOTLD
21-Dec-2007, 12:01 PM
Was Hinzman an investor in Image Ten? Given the times they'd been burned, any reluctance to believe in big talkers is understandable, but apparently all they'd ever bitched about prior to DAWN was lack of money. :D

Yes - Hinzman was one of the original investors.