PDA

View Full Version : Rare DAWN photo?

DubiousComforts
16-Dec-2007, 07:49 PM
Found what I believe is a rare behind the scenes DAWN photo in an ebay auction for a custom 12" plaid zombie figure (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-of-the-Dead-custom-12-inch-airport-Zombie-Romero_W0QQitemZ170177271789QQihZ007QQcategoryZ747 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/cb/3a/e267_12.JPG

What's going on here? It looks like they're filming a scene with the plaid zombie outside the airport office. All the plaid zombie scenes took place inside the office, filmed from the doorway. I'd love to see those outtakes!

jim102016
16-Dec-2007, 10:46 PM
What the hell?

ash
17-Dec-2007, 12:09 AM
What makes you think it was taken outside?

DubiousComforts
17-Dec-2007, 12:46 AM
What makes you think it was taken outside?
Is it an outdoor or indoor shot? It looks outdoors to me, but I could be wrong. It doesn't look like anything that's seen in the film, which is why I'm asking about it.

doubled77
17-Dec-2007, 01:25 AM
Since I visited the Monroeville Airport recently... :) http://flickr.com/photos/21285907@N06/sets/
I'm pretty sure that this picture was took just outside, behind the airport cabin... Also, I'm pretty sure that the white things on the left just over Michael is a crew van.

Look the attach picture...

Et voilą!

Danny

DubiousComforts
17-Dec-2007, 01:45 AM
Look the attach picture...

Et voilą

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103&d=1197858784

Ah-ha, so you're thinking this shot was filmed near the corner by the white tank? If so, the photo could have been snapped from the door. This would put the plaid zombie out behind the airport building, perhaps filming when it first rises. Good eye, Danny. :)

doubled77
17-Dec-2007, 02:06 AM
Exactly!!!

and by the way, how do I get a picture inside a post? I was only able to sort of get a link to it...

Thanks!

DubiousComforts
17-Dec-2007, 02:25 AM
and by the way, how do I get a picture inside a post? I was only able to sort of get a link to it...
In the reply window, click on the Insert Image button (looks like this--->http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/images/editor/insertimage.gif) and paste in the link to your image. Instead of a link, the image will appear in your post.

Legion2213
17-Dec-2007, 03:05 AM
They must have had a shot of him sneaking around the side of the cabin before he confronts Peter...cool. :)

DubiousComforts
17-Dec-2007, 03:36 AM
They must have had a shot of him sneaking around the side of the cabin before he confronts Peter...cool. :)
Yeah, maybe an establishing shot similar to the Jim Krut zombie wandering around when the chopper first gets his attention. It was smart to leave it out because the plaid zombie just popping into the doorway adds to the intensity of the scene. I'd still like to see that cut footage, though.

doubled77
17-Dec-2007, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the information about inserting an image in a post...
The little window ask for an URL... what about an image on my computer?

Thanks!

MikePizzoff
17-Dec-2007, 03:47 AM

Doesn't make sense, though... this photo is obviously taken at night. That scene was during the day.

Legion2213
17-Dec-2007, 03:48 AM
Yeah, maybe an establishing shot similar to the Jim Krut zombie wandering around when the chopper first gets his attention. It was smart to leave it out because the plaid zombie just popping into the doorway adds to the intensity of the scene. I'd still like to see that cut footage, though.

Yeah me too, nice little find anyways, that picture is new to me.

Doesn't make sense, though... this photo is obviously taken at night. That scene was during the day.

Is there a possibility that GAR planned to film the whole scene at night (like the police dock), maybe have our heroes trying to avoid places during the day?

DubiousComforts
17-Dec-2007, 04:00 AM
It looks like they were filming a close-up, so maybe they tried lighting it for "day." It could also have been cut because of this (shot still looked like night).

On one of the DVD commentaries, Romero mentions that they must have been losing sunlight because the shot through the doorway of the plaid zombie is dusky blue. Of course, when Peter stomps out of the airport office right after that, it's normal daylight again, so that must have been filmed earlier. Either way, they were probably fighting to get all of the planned shots before nightfall.

Thanks for the information about inserting an image in a post...
The little window ask for an URL... what about an image on my computer?
Thanks!
It doesn't work for an image on your computer. You first need to upload to a free photo site like http://www.imageshack.us/.

MikePizzoff
17-Dec-2007, 06:48 AM
It looks like they were filming a close-up, so maybe they tried lighting it for "day." It could also have been cut because of this (shot still looked like night).

Ah, I didn't think of that. Good point; probably the case.

Griff
17-Dec-2007, 07:57 AM
Interesting picture and a terrific find!

Yojimbo
17-Dec-2007, 06:14 PM
Cool photo Dubious. Never saw that one before!

capncnut
17-Dec-2007, 08:00 PM
That photo is baffling to look at but you can definitely tell it's shot at night. It did fool me though, good find Dub.

MaximusIncredulous
17-Dec-2007, 09:22 PM
Can anyone figure out what that object is plaid zombie is moving? Looks like a drawer????

thxleo
17-Dec-2007, 09:38 PM
That photo was taken by still photographer Katherine Kolbert. It appeared in a magazine named "Questar", which was a short lived sci-fi/fantasy magazine published in the late '70's. The co-publisher was none other than Bob Michelucci, who played the "scope zombie" in DOTD. "Questar" was published in Pittsburgh by MW Communications, who also put out the DOTD posterbook. The issue it appeared in was the August 1979 issue, number 4 which featured on the cover of a story by Forrest Ackerman called "Just Imagine Jeanie". The issue has an interview with George Romero and Tom Savini about DOTD. It also has another really cool rare photo of Romero and Mike Gornick shooting the scene where you can see a close up of a bike raiders hand shooting at Peter running on the upper level of the mall...the hand is Romero's. I bought this magazine years ago from a company called Fantaco that advertised in Fangoria.
As for the scene itself, I've always thought that it was just a quick establishing shot of the airport zombie before he walks in. I guess Romero thought it was uncessary. In fact it works better with him just appearing at the door like it is in the film.

twistbud
17-Dec-2007, 10:15 PM
That photo was taken by still photographer Katherine Kolbert. It appeared in a magazine named "Questar", which was a short lived sci-fi/fantasy magazine published in the late '70's. The co-publisher was none other than Bob Michelucci, who played the "scope zombie" in DOTD. "Questar" was published in Pittsburgh by MW Communications, who also put out the DOTD posterbook. The issue it appeared in was the August 1979 issue, number 4 which featured on the cover of a story by Forrest Ackerman called "Just Imagine Jeanie". The issue has an interview with George Romero and Tom Savini about DOTD. It also has another really cool rare photo of Romero and Mike Gornick shooting the scene where you can see a close up of a bike raiders hand shooting at Peter running on the upper level of the mall...the hand is Romero's. I bought this magazine years ago from a company called Fantaco that advertised in Fangoria.
As for the scene itself, I've always thought that it was just a quick establishing shot of the airport zombie before he walks in. I guess Romero thought it was uncessary. In fact it works better with him just appearing at the door like it is in the film.

BAM.....Mystery solved. Thank you sir.

DubiousComforts
18-Dec-2007, 01:08 AM
That photo was taken by still photographer Katherine Kolbert. It appeared in a magazine named "Questar", which was a short lived sci-fi/fantasy magazine published in the late '70's. The co-publisher was none other than Bob Michelucci, who played the "scope zombie" in DOTD.
Cool, thanks for the info. I have the Questar issue with the NIGHT retrospective. I must say, though, that's a pretty weak photo for having been shot by Katherine Kolbert (unless it's just a poor quality scan of a scan). A majority of her DAWN stills are top notch.

Griff
18-Dec-2007, 03:48 AM
Can anyone figure out what that object is plaid zombie is moving? Looks like a drawer????

Looks like he's got ahold of the old gas tank. You can see in the contemporary photo that there's a coupla new gas tanks in exactly the same place.

DubiousComforts
18-Dec-2007, 04:29 AM
Looks like he's got ahold of the old gas tank. You can see in the contemporary photo that there's a coupla new gas tanks in exactly the same place.
Is that like a propane tank, used to heat the building?

(Sorry, I am ignorant when it comes to propane and propane products.)

C5NOTLD
18-Dec-2007, 05:48 AM

http://www.imageshack.us/.

I agree. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

Griff
18-Dec-2007, 08:59 AM
Is that like a propane tank, used to heat the building?

(Sorry, I am ignorant when it comes to propane and propane products.)

That's what I imagine but then we don't need to heat buildings all that much where I'm from so I could be wrong.

(We refer to propane and such as 'gas' down here, too, which is why I called it a 'gas tank'. Sorry for any confusion!).

MaximusIncredulous
18-Dec-2007, 08:17 PM
If that's a gas tank, I'm reminded of Big Daddy from Land. Maybe Plaid Zombie was an early attempt at that concept and, thankfully, scrapped.

doubled77
18-Dec-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm far from being sure that he's trying to move the " thing "...