PDA

View Full Version : Script Review: World War Z

Geophyrd
17-Dec-2007, 03:29 PM
Ok, well, despite the misspellings in the review, below is a quote that says it all. Remember, screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski and (if I remember right) optioned by Brad Pitt's production company.

"World War Z, as a screenplay, is the greatest handling of the living dead since Romero’s quadrilogy." (http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3947&Itemid=99)

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2007, 05:57 PM
Sounds good to me, I finished the book recently and it was bloody good so hopefully this will be the in-depth, big budget, intelligent, far-seeing, globally-minded zombie film we've all been dying to see.

I just hope it doesn't get trendified to suit a bunch of PG-13 wankers. You simply cannot do World War Z at anything less than an "R" rating, it's just not possible - certainly not if you wanna make a good film anyway!

*fingers crossed* for a great zed film.

bassman
19-Dec-2007, 09:04 PM
Sounds good. Hopefully the fact that Brad Pitt is producing will keep it from being PG13. After all....he was Tyler Durden.:p

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it was PG13 as long as it's good. None of this recent trendy stuff...

wyvern1096
19-Dec-2007, 09:45 PM
Just finished the book a couple of days ago. I would love to see this as a movie, if it is done well. I can't see it having anything less than an R rating or being less than about three hours.

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2007, 10:16 AM
Indeed, it's gotta be a meaty film, at least 2 hours and definitely no lower than an "R". Some of the zombie descriptions and aftermath descriptions are very graphic, certainly not trendy old PG-13 material.

Plus, it's just much more intelligent and considered than your average zed flick (GAR's aside of course).

Neil
20-Dec-2007, 10:32 AM
Ok, well, despite the misspellings in the review, below is a quote that says it all. Remember, screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski and (if I remember right) optioned by Brad Pitt's production company.

"World War Z, as a screenplay, is the greatest handling of the living dead since Romero’s quadrilogy." (http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3947&Itemid=99)

Can't wait!!

Of course it'll never happen (the studios wouldn't allow it), but it would be bizarre to see Romero direct it...

I've just ordered the book and am looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about :)

Geophyrd
20-Dec-2007, 01:17 PM
I've actually heard that the Audiobook is better than the regular book. They got some stars (Alan Alda, John Turturro, Rob and Carl Reiner, Henry Rollins and more) to record the different perspectives. It looks like zombies are becoming respectable!

Oh, and I did read the book. Its REALLY good, so if the audiobook is supposed to be better, imagine how good the movie could be!

kidgloves
20-Dec-2007, 02:28 PM
I've just ordered the book and am looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about :)

Whats taken you so long Neil? This is one of those books which paints a perfect picture of a global zombie epidemic to a scale that has never been done before. Some of the chapters/events are stunning to say the least and would look spectacular on the big screen if the budget is there. Its a must read for everyone on this forum.

I've actually heard that the Audiobook is better than the regular book. They got some stars (Alan Alda, John Turturro, Rob and Carl Reiner, Henry Rollins and more) to record the different perspectives. It looks like zombies are becoming respectable!

Oh, and I did read the book. Its REALLY good, so if the audiobook is supposed to be better, imagine how good the movie could be!

I heard the audiobook after i'd read the book (twice) and as its abridged i personally didn't find it anywhere near as good. I'd recommend listening to the audio first then read the book.

Legion2213
21-Dec-2007, 12:43 AM
I haven't read the script/treatment in the OP's post, but having recently read the book....wow, an accurate movie of this excellent novel would be highly welcome.

I even like the original names of "Zacks" & "G's" that they gave to the deads.

BTW Wyvern is spot on, you simply cannot do this movie in the standard 90 minutes, a trilogy of 90 minute movies would be able do it justice and give it the scope it deserves though.

Ridley Scott for director? You know he'd turn out an epic!

Neil
21-Dec-2007, 06:38 AM
Whats taken you so long Neil? This is one of those books which paints a perfect picture of a global zombie epidemic to a scale that has never been done before. Some of the chapters/events are stunning to say the least and would look spectacular on the big screen if the budget is there. Its a must read for everyone on this forum.

I heard the audiobook after i'd read the book (twice) and as its abridged i personally didn't find it anywhere near as good. I'd recommend listening to the audio first then read the book.

So you definately recon audio first and then book... Not just book :)

Fecunditatis
21-Dec-2007, 10:40 AM
The audiobook is quite enjoyable. Some performances, though, sound a bit wooden. Others are great: Mark Hamill, for example, did a wonderful job with one of the most intense chapters in the book.
It's certainly worth the trouble to check it out. I just wish some of my favourite stories didn't get dumped in the abridgement.

MinionZombie
21-Dec-2007, 10:50 AM
I can't be arsed with audio books, and I'm a lazy reader...so that's gotta say something.

I say just read the book, get the full experience for the first time straight off the bat. It's a great book, basically every chapter has a really kick ass cool idea behind it, like communities at sea, or the Chinese bloke in a block of flats (I won't spoil it) or the whole Yonkers thing.

Ah mate a trilogy would really pack the punch the book does, but that's very unlikely. At least 2 hours, or preferably 2.5 hours would do to get the main things in. Obviously you can't just film the book 'as is', you have to make it workable in a new medium. But aye, 90 minutes and PG-13 is an absolute no-no for this film.

I hope it's given proper balls and proper brains and a proper treatment, instead of just copping out and pooping out a bag of crap inside another bag of crap covered in shiite.

Legion2213
21-Dec-2007, 10:57 AM
The audiobook is quite enjoyable. Some performances, though, sound a bit wooden. Others are great: Mark Hamill, for example, did a wonderful job with one of the most intense chapters in the book.
It's certainly worth the trouble to check it out. I just wish some of my favourite stories didn't get dumped in the abridgement.

Is the downed female pilot story in the audio book? That's one of my faves.

And does everybody with the audio book and the actual novel recommend getting the audio book?

Oh, and are any UK sites stocking this (play & Amozon UK don't have it, Amazon US does though).

Neil
21-Dec-2007, 10:57 AM

So which way round would you suggest (audio->book, book->audio, or just book)... I'm tempted by the audio book as I can listed to a CD a week to/from work...

ProfessorChaos
21-Dec-2007, 02:01 PM
i gotta go with mz's opinion, which is just get the book first. an amazing read...only took me three days to finish it. this movie has a lot to go off of, but a lot to live up to. let's hope they do it right.

kidgloves
21-Dec-2007, 06:18 PM
So you definately recon audio first and then book... Not just book :)

Thinking about it. I agree with the others, forget the audiobook, go straight for the book for maximum impact.

MinionZombie
21-Dec-2007, 06:35 PM
Thinking about it. I agree with the others, forget the audiobook, go straight for the book for maximum impact.
Perzactly, go for maximum impact - go for the book first. :cool:

Fecunditatis
22-Dec-2007, 12:25 PM
Is the downed female pilot story in the audio book? That's one of my faves.

I think it was. I listened to it a few months ago. I remember it didn't include some favourites of mine: the one about the smuggler, for example.

I read the book first and got the audiobook later. I don't know if that's the best choice. Probably, it is. Anyway, I would really recommend both: in the book you get the whole thing, and in the audiobook, something that feels, at its best, like a very creepy radio adaptation.

suicide22
22-Dec-2007, 03:28 PM
It's a really good idea, and will be a fun-filled zombie movie. This movies going to be a masterpiece adding a new take on the genre -- ben hur with zombies. It's got a cool title too `World War Z' I am defiantly going to pay & see this flick!:):cool: :D

Wyldwraith
27-Dec-2007, 04:52 AM
This movie has to be R,
The themes are simply too mature. Take for example one of the primary facets of humanity surviving in the book, aka "The Decker Plan". The deliberate and premeditated sacrifice of tens of thousands to save hundreds of thousands. How the heck do you retain the impact of that, and the consequences to the Plan's creator in a PG-13 format?

This movie has so much potential its simply mind-boggling. World War Z is one of the most amazing horror stories I've ever read.

Mike70
27-Dec-2007, 04:56 AM
The deliberate and premeditated sacrifice of tens of thousands to save hundreds of thousands.

as G'kar said in Babylon 5, "some must be sacrificed, if all are to be saved."

this is would be no different than WWII when millions died to defeat both the scumsucking nazis and the nasty bastards in japan.

wyvern1096
27-Dec-2007, 10:00 PM
Doing this movie as PG-13 would be like trying that with Schindler's List. It just would not work.

EvilNed
30-Dec-2007, 01:17 PM
After hearing you guys talking about it, I'm gonna buy this book the first thing I do when the stores open again.

Legion2213
30-Dec-2007, 01:53 PM
After hearing you guys talking about it, I'm gonna buy this book the first thing I do when the stores open again.

You won't regret it - Fantastic book.

Trencher
30-Dec-2007, 05:09 PM
MESSAGE FROM MODERATOR - PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH SPOILERS!!I got the impression that they sacrificed the most of the population to save the rich and their servants, but the rich learned a lot from the servants so it was okay to sacrifice the icky middleclass anyway. Where did it say that they sacrificed tens of thousand to save hundres of thousand? In anycase if they wanted to create a diversion for the zombies it would have been more usefull to use a much smaller number of soldiers. Also the soldiers could escape when the evacuation where complete.

capncnut
30-Dec-2007, 06:38 PM
I guess I'm the only one who was disappointed by WWZ, I think it's incredibly overrated. That said, it's gonna be interesting to see how they turn it into a movie.

Trencher
31-Dec-2007, 05:57 AM
I guess I'm the only one who was disappointed by WWZ, I think it's incredibly overrated. That said, it's gonna be interesting to see how they turn it into a movie. No you are not, and if the movie is all action and less interview it might be good.

capncnut
31-Dec-2007, 11:24 AM
Seriously though, how are they gonna turn it into a script? Honestly, the only way out is to snag a chapter or two and base it around that.

Legion2213
31-Dec-2007, 03:29 PM
I guess I'm the only one who was disappointed by WWZ, I think it's incredibly overrated. That said, it's gonna be interesting to see how they turn it into a movie.

Simple movie formula - interviewer introduces subject, subject starts story, we are then pitched into the story they are telling with some voice over narration if it's needed.

I think it could be good.

BTW, I don't think it's overrated, I do think that some of the accounts/tales are a bit weaker than others.

blind2d
13-Feb-2008, 02:56 PM
Greatly anticipated. The best possible Zed flick I've heard of in a long time. Even if Romero doesn't do it, it'll still be good (I hope!)

DubiousComforts
13-Feb-2008, 05:26 PM
Greatly anticipated. The best possible Zed flick I've heard of in a long time. Even if Romero doesn't do it, it'll still be good (I hope!)
Romero mentioned at the NYC DIARY screening that he would have handled World War Z differently had he written the book.

Personally, I think the guy is burned out on everyone and their brothers collectively pitching different apocalyptic living dead scenarios. I certainly am.

Neil
13-Feb-2008, 06:15 PM
Romero mentioned at the NYC DIARY screening that he would have handled World War Z differently had he written the book.

Personally, I think the guy is burned out on everyone and their brothers collectively pitching different apocalyptic living dead scenarios. I certainly am.

Of course he would... Does mean it'd be better or worse though...

DubiousComforts
13-Feb-2008, 08:55 PM
Of course he would... Does mean it'd be better or worse though...
I think it was simply meant as a nice way of saying that he doesn't care for it.

hadrian0117
14-Feb-2008, 02:12 AM
Simple movie formula - interviewer introduces subject, subject starts story, we are then pitched into the story they are telling with some voice over narration if it's needed...

Yeah. The movie will actually consist of several different segments, each with different characters and each a complete story that's also part of a larger whole. Some segments from the book won't be filmed at all (that's a given) and there will most likely be a new segment or two written just for the film.

blind2d
20-Feb-2008, 12:36 PM
I hope they leave that Japanese guy in... He was awesome. :)

Legion2213
20-Feb-2008, 05:54 PM
I hope they leave that Japanese guy in... He was awesome. :)

Yeah, the blind blind fellow and the computer nerd-come-uber samurai are cool.:cool:

Neil
17-Jun-2009, 08:18 AM
Slightly worrying... So over a year on and we're hearing:-

...the script for World War Z still requires a lot of writing and development, and is "still far from realization."

I thought the script was pretty much a done deal beginning of last year... :(

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/World-War-Z-Hits-Delays-13583.html

Rancid Carcass
17-Jun-2009, 12:26 PM
...the script for World War Z still requires a lot of writing and development, and is "still far from realization."

That just sounds like a director wanting to take all the glory to me - he will do it but only if he's allowed to shoot his own script. I'm get the feeling that if he was attached to the project he'd pretty much bin Straczynski's script. You know the type "It will only be perfect if you do it MY way because I'm the director and MY way is better and if you don't do what I say then I'll scream and sceam and stamp my little foot!" I'm all for directors following their artistic vision, but sometimes they just need a good slap to bring 'em back to reality!

As for Romero, I doubt he would direct it, I believe he was offered ROTLD but he declined. I don't think he wants the public to confuse his franchise with the others. I could be wrong of course...

Yojimbo
17-Jun-2009, 04:56 PM
As for Romero, I doubt he would direct it, I believe he was offered ROTLD but he declined. I don't think he wants the public to confuse his franchise with the others.

I don't know if this is the reason, but if it is I certainly don't blame him and I am saying this as a ROTLD fan.

EvilNed
19-Jun-2009, 12:09 PM
I hope Mel Brooks directs it.

Skippy911sc
19-Jun-2009, 01:43 PM

I could see this working... :lol:

Neil
19-Jun-2009, 01:53 PM
I could see this working... :lol:

Right up until 70 mins of the films is dedicated to zombies breaking wind :rolleyes:

clanglee
19-Jun-2009, 11:10 PM
A Zombie Sheriff?!?!?!?

Rancid Carcass
20-Jun-2009, 12:31 PM

World War Z - Dead And Loving It!

Neil
17-Jul-2009, 04:26 PM
...back to square one! New script writer!

http://fangoria.com/home/news/9-film-news/3240-new-screenwriter-takes-on-world-war-z.html

Mike70
17-Jul-2009, 04:34 PM

http://fangoria.com/home/news/9-film-news/3240-new-screenwriter-takes-on-world-war-z.html

the chances of this movie being good have just been cut in half with straczynski out of the picture.

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2009, 04:51 PM

But is it a new script from scratch, or working from what's already been written?

I quite enjoyed The Kingdom (although it wasn't especially memorable), never saw Lions For Lambs (don't want to either), and I've heard good (or indeed very good) things about State of Play.

So we'll see I guess.

My main things are:

1) No bloody runners - the book didn't need them, so the film won't either - the 'hard' work of making slow ones scary and a force to be reckoned with has all been done by Max Brooks.
2) Don't dumb it down.

AcesandEights
17-Jul-2009, 04:59 PM
My main things are:

1) No bloody runners - the book didn't need them, so the film won't either - the 'hard' work of making slow ones scary and a force to be reckoned with has all been done by Max Brooks.
2) Don't dumb it down.

Hear, hear! I don't mind runners so much, but the book didn't have them and a well done movie version would not need them...would, in fact, be spoiled by their inclusion.

EvilNed
17-Jul-2009, 05:21 PM
If the film has runners, it'll be ruined, like almost every other film with them in.

blind2d
17-Jul-2009, 08:38 PM
True that. Fingers crossed.

MikePizzoff
21-Jul-2009, 04:49 PM
The book didn't have trackstar zombies so they had better not even mention them in WWZ.

Skippy911sc
21-Jul-2009, 08:17 PM
It has been a while since I read the book...does it specifically state they are slow or shamble...just curious??

I thought the Kingdom was pretty good, Lions for Lambs was OK, decent battle /war scenes and this movie would require those, fo sho!

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2009, 09:44 AM
It has been a while since I read the book...does it specifically state they are slow or shamble...just curious??

I thought the Kingdom was pretty good, Lions for Lambs was OK, decent battle /war scenes and this movie would require those, fo sho!
Yes, World War Z features 100% shamblers.

*glares at Hollywood* Hollywood ... you'd better be paying attention. :|

Wyldwraith
22-Jul-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes,
Just referencing the blind Japanese man's scenario. The zombies *invariably* moan once they sight food (ie: living people) and shamble slowly in a straight line towards that food. The old Japanese guy explains that in clear-cut detail.

Runners in a WWZ movie would turn it into a crapfest worse than the DotD remake, or House of the Dead.

Yojimbo
22-Jul-2009, 04:44 PM
The book didn't have trackstar zombies so they had better not even mention them in WWZ.
I agree. My fear, though, is that some punk-ass executive producers will have a quorum and determine that in order to maximize their demographic appeal they will make the film with runners, add an mtv soundtrack, lots of digital eye-candy, reduce cursing to a single utterance of "shit" so that they can get a PG-13 from the MPAA, and add a preteen romance angle with Zack Effron and some equally vacuous girl. There will also be a promo tie in at Burger King, featuring the "WWZ-Burger" combo with fries, and a kid's meal featuring a WWZ figurine. Also, the zombies will utter "Braains" in-between bouts of tool use, velociraptor screeches, and grunting communication. The majority of the movie will be shot first person, with a video camera, following Zack and his girlfriend as they attempt to survive to the rocking beat of the Jonas Brothers. Snyder, the other Zack, will be slated to exec-produce, and he and Max Brooks will appear in a media blitz where they proceed to jack each other off on camera.

MoonSylver
22-Jul-2009, 10:18 PM
I agree. My fear, though, is that some punk-ass executive producers will have a quorum and determine that in order to maximize their demographic appeal they will make the film with runners, add an mtv soundtrack, lots of digital eye-candy, reduce cursing to a single utterance of "shit" so that they can get a PG-13 from the MPAA, and add a preteen romance angle with Zack Effron and some equally vacuous girl. There will also be a promo tie in at Burger King, featuring the "WWZ-Burger" combo with fries, and a kid's meal featuring a WWZ figurine. Also, the zombies will utter "Braains" in-between bouts of tool use, velociraptor screeches, and grunting communication. The majority of the movie will be shot first person, with a video camera, following Zack and his girlfriend as they attempt to survive to the rocking beat of the Jonas Brothers. Snyder, the other Zack, will be slated to exec-produce, and he and Max Brooks will appear in a media blitz where they proceed to jack each other off on camera.

You missed your true calling in life Yoji: Big Time Hollywood Movie Producer.

Slain
23-Jul-2009, 02:43 AM
I think whether or not the zombies in World War Z are runners or shamblers is the least of this movie's problems (if it ever gets filmed that is). The whole WW-Z story sounds like a rehash of the Great Patriotic War between the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany, with the American Rockies standing in for the Ural Mountains of Russian. My guess is the budget for WW-Z will get cut to the point where it's like the flick Red Dawn with zombies.

clanglee
23-Jul-2009, 03:57 AM
Red Dawn with zombies.

Which sounds completely Awesome!!!!!

sandrock74
23-Jul-2009, 04:44 PM
My guess is the budget for WW-Z will get cut to the point where it's like the flick Red Dawn with zombies.

WOLVERINES!

Heck, make it "Red Dawn: Zombies: starring Wolverine"

Yojimbo
23-Jul-2009, 04:53 PM
Which sounds completely Awesome!!!!!

Agreed. I'd buy that for a dollar!

You missed your true calling in life Yoji: Big Time Hollywood Movie Producer. Dude, that's one step away from saying I should have been a pimp! But at least pimps, however contemptible they might be, still have some sense of dignity unlike a hollywood producer.

Thanks all the same, but I'd rather be an undertaker than a suit. :)

Danny
23-Jul-2009, 05:03 PM
Agreed. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Dude, that's one step away from saying I should have been a pimp! But at least pimps, however contemptible they might be, still have some sense of dignity unlike a hollywood producer.

Thanks all the same, but I'd rather be an undertaker than a suit. :)

-plus they take lessons from the big daddy cain school of style :lol:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/JAMESLIPTONPIMP.jpg

YOJIMBO IRL

Yojimbo
23-Jul-2009, 06:02 PM
-plus they take lessons from the big daddy cain school of style :lol:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/JAMESLIPTONPIMP.jpg

YOJIMBO IRL
Yeah, all this guy needs is a bluetooth and an assitant bringing him a special starbucks order and he would be all but indistinguishable from any random producer or movie exec in my town!:)

Danny
25-Jul-2009, 07:08 AM
Yeah, all this guy needs is a bluetooth and an assitant bringing him a special starbucks order and he would be all but indistinguishable from any random producer or movie exec in my town!:)

i know right?, harvey wienstien like a beeyotch.

MinionZombie
25-Jul-2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/16868

Marc Forster's out - they're looking for a new director.

kidgloves
26-Jul-2009, 10:20 PM

Pheeew. Thank fuk for that.
Go on Sam Raimi. You know you want to.

Rancid Carcass
27-Jul-2009, 12:36 AM
Pheeew. Thank fuk for that.
Go on Sam Raimi. You know you want to.

I believe he's just signed on to do World Of Warcraft, pretty sure he won't be doing WWZ.

MinionZombie
27-Jul-2009, 09:31 AM
I believe he's just signed on to do World Of Warcraft, pretty sure he won't be doing WWZ.
Even still, a zombie fan can dream.

If someone like Raimi was on board, I'd be happier ... but as it stands, it's in a bit of a pickle at the moment ... not looking good thus far. :shifty:

clanglee
27-Jul-2009, 11:53 PM

AWWWWWwwww. . sonovabitch!! This movie is never gonna get made

Bone Daddy
28-Jul-2009, 02:37 PM
I've read the book twice and listened to the audio CD twice. I was hoping for a substantive film adaptation,but hope is being battered like an undead horde at a barricaded farmhouse door.

New here,btw- Howdy.

Skippy911sc
28-Jul-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't think Rami would be my first choice for this movie. I enjoy his films, but not the right vibe I was looking for in this film. I would like to see Alfonso Cuarón give it a try...I loved children of men and think that sort of overall depressed feeling would be great in this movie.

Bone Daddy
28-Jul-2009, 03:17 PM
I too would prefer someone with a more darker, for lack of a better and over-used word, gravitas, than Raimi.

blind2d
29-Jul-2009, 02:15 AM
Exactly. Raimi does good goofy horror, but the serious tone of it in general would be better served by someone else. Maybe Del Toro?