http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7150644.stm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35108

bassman
19-Dec-2007, 12:06 PM
ugh. I wonder how reptitive and overly drawn out these films will be.:dead:

Neil
20-Dec-2007, 09:35 AM
Can't wait...

Will be interesting to see what the 2nd one is about...

Bad news is Jackson is NOT directing...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Peter-Jackson-Is-Not-Directing-The-Hobbit-7261.html

DjfunkmasterG
20-Dec-2007, 11:08 AM

Ditto :D

We can get afriggin hobbit movie, but Ghostbusters 3 will never happen, WTF!

bassman
20-Dec-2007, 12:25 PM
Ditto :D

We can get afriggin hobbit movie, but Ghostbusters 3 will never happen, WTF!

Dude....don't get me started.:elol:

Neil
20-Dec-2007, 12:57 PM

Well, if the LOTR was anything to go by - which only benefitted from the extra footage/time on the DVD versions - not at all, and not at all :)

bassman
20-Dec-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, if the LOTR was anything to go by - which only benefitted from the extra footage/time on the DVD versions - not at all, and not at all :)

I'm not saying they weren't good films, they just felt drawn out by about the middle of the second film. And don't even get me started on the 1,000 endings to Return of the King.

I think Randall said it best in Clerks 2:

Those f*cking hobbit movies were boring as hell. All it was, was a bunch of people walking.....three movies of people walking to a f*cking volcano.:lol:

DjfunkmasterG
20-Dec-2007, 01:51 PM
Dude....don't get me started.:elol:

But I want to see you get started. :elol:

Skippy911sc
20-Dec-2007, 02:00 PM
ugh. I wonder how repetitive and overly drawn out these films will be.:dead:

Hehehehe

I thought the other films were ok to good...but the devotion these films received was unbelievable. Well Jackson will not be directing this film and I did enjoy the Hobbit more than the lord of the rings so I will wait and see...reserve judgment.

Mike70
20-Dec-2007, 03:52 PM
can't wait to see this. hopefully nothing causes it to fall through.

Neil
20-Dec-2007, 06:39 PM
Hehehehe

I thought the other films were ok to good...but the devotion these films received was unbelievable. Well Jackson will not be directing this film and I did enjoy the Hobbit more than the lord of the rings so I will wait and see...reserve judgment.

The LOTR films were probably some of the best produced pieces of film work ever (IMHO)... An utter work of love by all involved at all levels...

The Hobbit is a damn good romp, but will most likely be 'lighter' than LOTRs so let's hope it's not too nicey-nicey!

Mike70
20-Dec-2007, 06:59 PM
The LOTR films were probably some of the best produced pieces of film work ever (IMHO)... An utter work of love by all involved at all levels...

agree 100%. the LOTR films are the kinds of movies that most other film makers wish they had the ability to do.

bassman
20-Dec-2007, 07:05 PM
agree 100%. the LOTR films are the kinds of movies that most other film makers wish they had the ability to do.

Put the viewer to sleep in the middle of the second film?:lol:

Like I said, they're not bad films. They're put together well, acted well, etc, etc, but at the end of the day I could have watched Fellowship and the last 45 minutes of Return and it would have been a complete film...

Fellowship was a great film but the other two really slack off. I get really angry when I think about the endingS to Return. WTF was Jackson thinking? I almost gave up and quit watching after the fourth or fifth perfectly plausible ending.

I'm just glad that I waited to see them on DVD and didn't have to sit through eight hours of walking...

Neil
20-Dec-2007, 09:58 PM

Like I said, they're not bad films. They're put together well, acted well, etc, etc, but at the end of the day I could have watched Fellowship and the last 45 minutes of Return and it would have been a complete film...

Fellowship was a great film but the other two really slack off. I get really angry when I think about the endingS to Return. WTF was Jackson thinking? I almost gave up and quit watching after the fourth or fifth perfectly plausible ending.

I'm just glad that I waited to see them on DVD and didn't have to sit through eight hours of walking...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this...

I loved them at the cinema... And enjoyed the extended DVDs even more...

DjfunkmasterG
20-Dec-2007, 10:26 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: nice.

Glad I am not the only one that sees them for what they are...

a cure for insomnia.

Neil
21-Dec-2007, 06:41 AM
Why do some people repeatedly post over and over for no other reason than to moan? Come on guys, if you didn't enjoy the film(s) fine, but we got it the first time, the second time and even the third time you posted your issue(s)...

Be happy for the rest of us who really enjoyed the films, that we get another helping!

DjfunkmasterG
21-Dec-2007, 11:29 AM
Ok we are happy for you. :lol:

*runs around corner and snickers*

Relic
25-Dec-2007, 03:49 AM
Kevin Smith -- the most overrated, overbloated piece of crap to splatter Hollywood in a long, long time.

Just my opinion! ;)

But Chasing Amy was decent...

Mike70
25-Dec-2007, 03:55 AM
Kevin Smith -- the most overrated, overbloated piece of crap to splatter Hollywood in a long, long time.

Just my opinion! ;)

yeah boi!

i like hearing this guy tell stories at conventions but cannot stand most of his movies. a one trick pony, despite the snappy dialouge. when this dude can make a decent movie without two foul mouthed losers, whom i wouldn't throw a quarter at if i met them on the street, i might change my opinion.
chasing amy, in my not so humble opinion is the worst of the lot. although i will admit that my total dislike of joey lauren adams, whose voice sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, might just be effecting my judgement.

the reaper pilot is the best thing kevin smith has directed in ages.

i am now fortifying myself against djfunkmaster's inevitable assault upon this post.

EvilNed
25-Dec-2007, 05:18 PM
Both Kevin Smith and Lord of the Rings are overrated. But if Sam Raimi is directing the Hobbit, and does it with his charming style he often uses, then perhaps it'll be worth watching.

I was always more of a Matrix fan. And I find the Lord of the Rings to be some of the most overrated pieces of snores I ever saw. Glad they're losing popularity now. I remember that people used to cream their pants everytime a new piece of McDonalds merchandise was released.

Danny
25-Dec-2007, 05:35 PM
I was always more of a Matrix fan. And I find the Lord of the Rings to be some of the most overrated pieces of snores I ever saw.

IRONY

Neil
25-Dec-2007, 06:57 PM
I was always more of a Matrix fan. And I find the Lord of the Rings to be some of the most overrated pieces of snores I ever saw.How is that a comparison at all... Matrix? Lord of the Rings? - One is a taylor made sci-fi action film series, and the other is a much revered work of fantasy... Completely different genres, styles and background...

Like complaining that you don't like Shrek because you prefer the Godfather... :rolleyes: :)

DjfunkmasterG
26-Dec-2007, 06:19 PM
Kevin Smith may not be the greatest filmmaker in the world but at least his films are funny. I think Dogma is his best work. Clerks is 2nd. I like Chasing Amy, I LOATHE MALLRATS and Clerks 2.

The single most overhyped director in the industry is in my humble opinion... PETER JACKSON. Besides Braindead and Heavenly Creatures, the only good film he has ever made was The Frighteners. I am sorry, but a 9 nine hour mini series filmed epic about Hobbits and Rings doesn't exactly scream must see entertainment for me, however, I am not into the fantasy films like LOTR. While I found the new Star Wars flicks to be the most god awful mess, I would still rather sit through them then even let a LOTR disc touch me DVD player.

I did read the book, The Hobbit as a child, but I have zero interest in seeing a movie. Bring on Frighteners 2.

Danny
26-Dec-2007, 07:02 PM
peter jackson most over hyped?, on no dear sir, that title must surely go to tim burton, king of the emo's.

bassman
26-Dec-2007, 07:33 PM
This thread is quickly turning into a film/director love/hate argument.:confused:

Neil
26-Dec-2007, 07:54 PM
This thread is quickly turning into a film/director love/hate argument.:confused:

I concur... Amazing how some people suffer from 'the higher they are, the more they must fall syndrome'...

Oh well.. I'm pleased... I'm sure many other's are as well...

EvilNed
27-Dec-2007, 03:21 PM
How is that a comparison at all... Matrix? Lord of the Rings? - One is a taylor made sci-fi action film series, and the other is a much revered work of fantasy... Completely different genres, styles and background...

Two film trilogies that were released around the same time. Meh, maybe not the best comparison I know, but I prefer Matrix over Lord of the Rings. Maybe because the Matrix films are good, and the Lord of the Rings films are dull.

Neil
27-Dec-2007, 07:12 PM
Two film trilogies that were released around the same time. Meh, maybe not the best comparison I know, but I prefer Matrix over Lord of the Rings. Maybe because the Matrix films are good, and the Lord of the Rings films are dull.

IMHO the second two Matrix films crashed and burned a fantastic first film... Yes, they were watchable and visually pretty, but they lacked the intelligence and solid base the first one offered...

Anyway... Let's stick to Hobbits :)

ps: If you look at the IMDB scoring of the films we're talking about. The Matrix rightly comes VERY high (about number 30 odd in the top 250 films)! It was a mini-scifi revolution! But the two sequels to it are rated well below this (not in the top 250), which is unsurprising... The LOTR films all sit in the top 30 films I think, which for sheer production gusto and great story telling isn't unfair IMHO...

EvilNed
27-Dec-2007, 09:06 PM
I believe all Matrix films to be vastly superior to their LOTR counterparts. I know that IMDb ranks LOTR high, which is all part of why these average and somewhat clichéd, (as well as dull) films are so tremendously overrated. The Matrix films are none of that. The Matrix films are ten times as original and groundbreaking than the LOTR films are, few would deny that.

While I'm sure alot of hard work went into LOTR (as with Matrix and as with Pirates), the end result is just something that was meant to appeal to as many people as possible. I know that in the end it all boils down to opinions. But you have to admit that the LOTR trilogy has gained a tremendous amount of unwarranted praise. Especially the very last film, which was the weakest IMO, and won 11 oscars! That's ludicrous.

Danny
27-Dec-2007, 09:06 PM
even though id take rings over the matrix, the rings trilogy was written over a good few years when tolkein was even in the trenches of WWII so its going to be a little more epic, though yeah the origional matrix was fantastic, but take the effects away and the sequels?, not so much. "yeah so machines are drilling to kill us, so lets get throwing shapes!":rolleyes: