PDA

View Full Version : *ahem*, **** GUITAR HERO 3!!

Danny
22-Dec-2007, 11:14 PM
so it whent like this, i whent doon tha' toon with my gran to help her with the christmas shopping and for doing so (and given the fact i told my mom for the last 5 christmasses to take the money she was going to use on my presents for any bills, i know, i rock as a son, but i balance it out by being bone idle) and she got me guitar hero 3.
So right off the bat the controllers out of synch with the game, so whilst me and my blogcast co host get ready to record a new one whilst playing ti 2 player we cant, so thats out the window, i unlock everything in 1 go on easy, ive had little to no fun other than dragonforce. then the notes start to go down the screen slower or faster during play for no reason, but the music and keys stay at the same rate, so its therefore unplayable.
yesterday i pop it in to give it another try adn the disc wont read and when i try the controller in guitar hero 2 its constantly trying to scroll down the menu when its not being touched.
yes, both the disc AND controller were broken, so i head back into the city, get my cash back adn get a 1gig mp3 player for 20 quid and a **** load of cheap anime dvd's (bite me ned ya commie!, anime rocks!:lol:)

MikePizzoff
23-Dec-2007, 03:17 AM
The problem with it being out of synch can be fixed in the options menu. Other than that, you just got a faulty copy and there's no reason to say the game sucks because of it.

Also, easy is exactly just that... easy. Of course you're going to be able to fly through that "tour" and there isn't much of a challenge. Try playing hard and expert and then you'll whistle a whole different tune.

DeadJonas190
23-Dec-2007, 06:56 AM
As Mike mentioned, the out of sync can be fixed in the menus and also the controler problem can be fixed. If you turn your system on when any of the buttons or the fret bar are pressed or moved then it will throw off the controler settings. All it really takes is a reset while making sure your guitar is sitting flat on the floor face up to fix that problem.

At the same time, it looks like you got a lot of cool stuff anyway.

Danny
23-Dec-2007, 11:39 AM
the synch thing didnt work, hence part of the problem, but my point is if you can unlock damn near everything in just easy mode whats the point of replaying it 4 times when youve seen all there is too see? and it was really unbalanced, i could play through the fire and the flames on hard but not on medium yknow?. and ive been playing guitar hero 2 every other day for a year, its probably one of my all time favourite games, but if your new to the series this random difficulty can ruin the whole experience of just pick up and playabilitie the games predecessors had.
Its not bad per say, just a mediocre attempt by another company to continue a popular franchise that falls short, id definatley say go for rock band instead.

....when it finally makes it over here in 3 bl'addy months!:mad:

MikePizzoff
23-Dec-2007, 02:43 PM
if you can unlock damn near everything in just easy mode whats the point of replaying it 4 times when youve seen all there is too see?

Well, because playing on easy and medium isn't NEARLY as much fun (and frustrating) as playing through on hard and expert. I find playing on easy extremely boring now, actually.

Danny
23-Dec-2007, 02:56 PM
i know its the same with me. though i guess in part the song list wasnt as good, at least in my opinion as the last one, in 2 there were loads that were fun to play, like iggy and the stooges or kiss or, well damn near all of them except for insitutionalized, in this there was the slipknot one, the dragonforce one, the pat benitar one and the kaiser chiefs one, i enjoyed them but none of the others were fun to play they just felt like chorse to get through to unlock the next set of songs y'know?

CoinReturn
23-Dec-2007, 03:48 PM
Mike, did you download any songs from Live yet? They just put up a free Christmas song, "We Three Kings", its tough! Also, they put out individual songs for 200 points each."Ernten Was Wir Saen" and “So Payaso” are the best two of those...There is a great Mastadon song, but its grouped in with Linkin Park and The Used for 500 points, so I passed.

And hells, Guitar Hero doesn't get fun until you get to at least Hard. The note charts actually get interesting and finishing tough songs becomes more rewarding.

Edit: Online play is pretty damn fun too, I find myself battling and playing co-op more than playing Slayer in Halo 3 lately.

Danny
23-Dec-2007, 04:06 PM
ive gotten bored of halo 3 as well, it was fun for a while but the noveltys worn off, bioshock on the other hand im still playing as its so much fun, and no matter what all the halo 3 fanboys are vlogging about on youtube it did desreve the title of game of the year.

CoinReturn
23-Dec-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, Bioshock is friggin' amazing man. I've yet to finish it, though I just downloaded the free pack of new plasmids, so I should be through it soon. I love Halo 3, but I don't think it should be a GOTY candidate simply because its a sequel, and id didn't bring anything really fresh to the table, it just refined its gameplay to near perfection.

You should check out Mass Effect when you get the chance, its my personal game of the year.

Danny
23-Dec-2007, 05:47 PM
right now im after the legendary edition of bioshock that gamestations got back in, though when i do i cant play it becuase of my damn huskie eating my scart lead.

Andy
23-Dec-2007, 05:55 PM
I got bored of halo 3 within a week... seriously..

Bioshock surpassed it in everyway except multiplayer, and CoD4 surpassed it on that.

Mass effect on the other hand is awesome, playing through it again on hard now and loving every minute of it :D

Danny
23-Dec-2007, 05:58 PM
how long is it?, and did it hold up to the "explore a galaxy and discover planets" system it stated was available, like can you land on a planet and explore it all or what?

Andy
23-Dec-2007, 06:05 PM
how long is it?, and did it hold up to the "explore a galaxy and discover planets" system it stated was available, like can you land on a planet and explore it all or what?
Kinda, there is alot for you to do if you dont wanna do the storyline straight away, but it isnt freedom of the dead rising league..

Most of the planets just come up with a quick survey and some useless infomation when you click them..

CoinReturn
23-Dec-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm 20 hours in and I'm not even half way through. I've heard of people finishing it within 20 hours though, so it all depends on how fast you move through the universe. You get a codex, and every time you find a new story arc, piece of equipment, information on an alien species, etc, you can listen to a whole load of information about them.

The script and codex are masterfully written, so you won't get bored reading about how Alliance ships are classed, what a Mass Relay is, and what the life of a Turian is like. The most mundane subjects are very, very interesting if you take the time you enjoy the universe that Bioware created.

capncnut
25-Dec-2007, 06:19 PM
how long is it?
I did it in about 18 hours with most of the side quests done. I actually clocked it by mistake cos I had no idea the mission I was on was the last one.

mista_mo
25-Dec-2007, 11:47 PM
use the guitar hero 2 guitar.

I heard that the one they ship with number 3 isn't responsive enough.

i've had some issues with it as well, but i haven't been arsed to try and fix it in the options menu.

DeadJonas190
26-Dec-2007, 03:13 AM
i know its the same with me. though i guess in part the song list wasnt as good, at least in my opinion as the last one, in 2 there were loads that were fun to play, like iggy and the stooges or kiss or, well damn near all of them except for insitutionalized, in this there was the slipknot one, the dragonforce one, the pat benitar one and the kaiser chiefs one, i enjoyed them but none of the others were fun to play they just felt like chorse to get through to unlock the next set of songs y'know?

You know what the difference between 2 and 3 is? Harmonix sold the franchise to Activision and didn't work on it. Instead they created Rock Band, hence the reason Rock Band seems to be better.

Danny
26-Dec-2007, 11:55 AM
damn straight adn 3 months till it comes out over here, ive got 4 freineds i reaally got into guitar hero over the last few months so ill buy the full set and test it out with them, i want to try the drums myself.

CoinReturn
26-Dec-2007, 08:09 PM
Its pretty simple:

Single player: Guitar Hero III > Rock Band

Multiplayer: Rock Band > Guitar Hero III

The note charts are way more varied and interesting in Guitar Hero, but that doesn't really matter for Rock Band, seeing as jamming with your friends is what its all about.

Oh, and manually setting the video lag calibration to 20ms in GHIII will fix most response problems (that's what I have mine set at).

then the notes start to go down the screen slower or faster during play for no reason, but the music and keys stay at the same rate, so its therefore unplayable.
That would be a tempo change. Sorta throws you off when you aren't expecting it.

Danny
26-Dec-2007, 08:24 PM
no its not, the song continues, the screen psyichally lags, the whole thing, including the back ground slows down to a jittery frame rate and yet the notes continue, but you cant see on screen the match. the game was just faulty, i dont get why everyone ive mentioned this to goes all plumber on me with the "ah now what you problem is" line, i tried different ratios, different tvs regular adn hi def, different controllers, different playstations, every possible permutation i tried, the game was just faulty end of.

CoinReturn
26-Dec-2007, 10:23 PM
Its just weird, that's all. I've noticed occasionally a half-second of lag when you activate some characters star power on the 360 version, but this is the first case I've heard of game breaking jitters.

MikePizzoff
26-Dec-2007, 11:49 PM
no its not, the song continues, the screen psyichally lags, the whole thing, including the back ground slows down to a jittery frame rate and yet the notes continue, but you cant see on screen the match. the game was just faulty, i dont get why everyone ive mentioned this to goes all plumber on me with the "ah now what you problem is" line, i tried different ratios, different tvs regular adn hi def, different controllers, different playstations, every possible permutation i tried, the game was just faulty end of.

Exactly, you shouldn't have written it off altogether; you should have exchanged it for a working copy and tried to enjoy it that way!