PDA

View Full Version : under rated lines in Dawn?

SymphonicX
24-Dec-2007, 01:58 PM
We all hear ourselves repeating classic lines like "we got this baby, we got this by the ASS!" and "When there's no more room in hell..." and whatnot but what in your opinion is the most under rated line in Dawn of the Dead?

I think it goes firmly to the "director's cut" (ie: rough cut) when Stephen takes a picture of Fran and she bitingly says to him

"Great, when you've finished the roll we'll drop it off at the drugstore"

That's classic to me, it highlights the emotional frustration of the four characters, it sort of demonstrates their descent into madness, how they have no real hope even though they've surrounded themselves in a little haven....to me its so cynical, so dark that I reckon that one line should've been left in the movie for sure....its either between that line or Fran's speech to Stephen about how the mall is "so bright and neatly wrapped that you can't see its a prison too"

MikePizzoff
24-Dec-2007, 05:00 PM
I've always loved that part, too, especially Flyboy's reaction to it.

Minerva_Zombi
24-Dec-2007, 06:39 PM
"Blow all their little Puerto Rican and nigger asses right off!"

acealive1
24-Dec-2007, 06:49 PM

nice line........ :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mike70
24-Dec-2007, 06:54 PM
I think it goes firmly to the "director's cut" (ie: rough cut) when Stephen takes a picture of Fran and she bitingly says to him

yeah boi

that is a great line and i a bit pissed that you've already posted it:p. when i saw this thread that is the first line that came into my head.:moon::lol:

since you've already pinched the best one, here is another one from fran:

"i'm not going to play den mother for you guys."

Danny
24-Dec-2007, 07:15 PM
that "by the ass" line i swear ive heard it before, either in an angry videogame nerd video or a kevin smith film, anyone know what?

sandrock74
24-Dec-2007, 07:22 PM
"We got this by the ass!" as uttered by Roger...it still makes me laugh every time I hear it!

MikePizzoff
24-Dec-2007, 08:11 PM

You consider that line under rated? Oh boy...

acealive1
24-Dec-2007, 09:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THSL5wO7oAM

MikePizzoff
24-Dec-2007, 10:06 PM
That vid doesn't work, Ace.

DubiousComforts
24-Dec-2007, 10:10 PM
Oops, meant to begin a new thread.

acealive1
24-Dec-2007, 10:20 PM
That vid doesn't work, Ace.

damn youtube:mad::mad::mad:

SRP76
24-Dec-2007, 11:41 PM
"Get its head up, man!!"

acealive1
25-Dec-2007, 12:27 AM
"Get its head up, man!!"

NO!

*fires gun as music swells* :lol::lol:

Minerva_Zombi
25-Dec-2007, 06:42 AM

It is... Its powerful in a not trying to be powerful way. its real. People talk like that. Especially people like Wooley. Romero could have gone the easier route but he didn't. It was raw. Its such a great line that kind of sums up the whole idea of what Romero's dead searies is all about. We're not fighting the zombies. We're fighting each other. And thats why we're losing the war.

Legion2213
25-Dec-2007, 11:13 AM
I like it when Roger is pre-empting the chiefs lines at the apartment complex..."there are no charges against you" etc

You understand that he and his squad have been doing this for too long, seen too many zeds and too many shattered people who don't understand what is going on and what has to be done...it nicely set's up the reasons for him deciding to run.

Trin
25-Dec-2007, 03:20 PM
Cameraman - "Our responsibility is finished."

I always thought that line underscored the entire movie. The delivery was perfect. He had the complete look of someone willing to believe the problem was someone else's, even as the world was crashing down around him. Everyone thought the problem was someone else's. In the end no one took care of it.

Zombie Snack
25-Dec-2007, 09:41 PM
I agree the "Our responsibility is finished" line was spot on perfect.

Griff
25-Dec-2007, 10:50 PM
Everyone's heard it and its got a nice ring to it - but it also speaks volumes:

"When the dead walk, Senores, we must stop the killing or lose the war."

All the infighting is only creating more and more zombies.

I also like the line from the good doctor that goes:

"This isn't the Republicans versus the Democrats where we're in a hole economically or... or we're in another war. This is more crucial than that. This is down to the line, folks, this is down to the line. There can be no more divisions among the living!"

SRP76
26-Dec-2007, 12:27 AM

Which DVD is this on? Is this only one the "Ultimate Edition"?

I saw an "extended version" (which I assume is the European version) that had more than the U.S. theatrical, but this particular scene wasn't in it.

....it would be great if the movie had ONE version, not half a million different cuts....:mad:

DubiousComforts
26-Dec-2007, 02:11 AM
Which DVD is this on? Is this only one the "Ultimate Edition"?
It's from the extended Cannes cut (Disc 2 of the Ultimate set). The theatrical version (Disc 1) does not have this dialog. Romero considers the theatrical cut to be "the version" of DAWN.

SymphonicX
26-Dec-2007, 07:59 AM
It's from the extended Cannes cut (Disc 2 of the Ultimate set). The theatrical version (Disc 1) does not have this dialog. Romero considers the theatrical cut to be "the version" of DAWN.

I do too, I think its better paced, the longer version can be kinda tiring especialy to someone who's never seen Dawn before...

major jay
26-Dec-2007, 10:16 AM
Keys to the kingdom.

SymphonicX
26-Dec-2007, 02:01 PM
Grab the walkie talkies!

DubiousComforts
26-Dec-2007, 04:39 PM
Cameraman - "Our responsibility is finished."

I always thought that line underscored the entire movie. The delivery was perfect. He had the complete look of someone willing to believe the problem was someone else's, even as the world was crashing down around him. Everyone thought the problem was someone else's. In the end no one took care of it.
Excellent observation, I'd never thought of it quite like that. It's even more perfect when you consider that he was part of the crowd screaming at Foster just a minute earlier.

I do too, I think its better paced, the longer version can be kinda tiring especialy to someone who's never seen Dawn before...
For years, the theatrical version was all that anyone saw in the USA, so I just think of the other cuts as a bonus.

Philly_SWAT
26-Dec-2007, 11:46 PM
I have mentioned this before, but this thread is a good time to mention it again. I think the most underrated line/lines in Dawn is when our group of 4 goes into Pennys, getting ready to enter the mall to close the inner doors. Flyboy and Fran go to hardware to look for propane torches, and Peter takes Roger down the elevator, since Roger is in the wheelbarrow.

Peter says "Look here man, I, uh..."
Roger replies, "I know, shut up, will ya."

To me, this is a great exchange. It illustrates the bond that Roger and Peter have forged between them, and how they love each other, in a totally non-gay way. But as SWAT tough guys, society has taught them as men to not express their feelings, and even in the middle of a zombie outbreak, with the world almost literally going to hell, they dare not expose themselves to be human beings with feelings and emotions. Seeing as his friend is sure to die soon, Peter feels this is his last chance to tell his buddy what he means to him, but even then, stutters and stammers over his words..."Look here man, I ..uh...". Roger, knowing exactly what Peter is trying to say, since he feels the same way about him, but not wanting to have there "manhood" broken down in front of each other, says "I know", but instead of following that with a line like "I feel the same way" or something, he says "Shut up, will ya", still clinging to a societies views of how men are "supposed" to act, even though that society is crumbling before their eyes.

SymphonicX
27-Dec-2007, 04:48 PM
I always thought it was more Roger not wanting to face up to his own death and not have to go through an inevitable conversation about it...?

Trin
27-Dec-2007, 09:20 PM
I also interpreted it less as an emotional moment and more of an acknowledgement of the situation. Peter brooching the issue that Roger has no hope and Roger making it clear he's already concluded as much.

If it were to be looked at as a more emotional non-gay love moment, I would submit that it wasn't that they were inhibited from expressing their feelings but that they had a bond that was beyond the need to do so.

Minerva_Zombi
29-Dec-2007, 07:42 AM
i just thought it was a comedic touch cuz it cuts from fran and steve running down the stairs to him in the elevator. he was annoyed that he was kind of a handicap to peter now that he has to be wheeled around and can't slide down escalators. lol

SymphonicX
29-Dec-2007, 08:05 AM
haha that's an interesting way to see it, but I never laughed during that moment!!

"look man, I..uh...I'm sorry I couldn't push the wheelbarrow down the escalators.."
"I know, shut up will ya?"

DubiousComforts
31-Dec-2007, 04:45 PM
i just thought it was a comedic touch cuz it cuts from fran and steve running down the stairs to him in the elevator. he was annoyed that he was kind of a handicap to peter now that he has to be wheeled around and can't slide down escalators. lol
Hahaha--you know, Peter could have just dumped Roger down the escalator for old-time's sake. :D

I think it sounds as if Peter is about to apologize before being cut off. Rather than saying "I told you so," when someone you care about makes a fatal mistake, you feel guilty and helpless at their predicament. Peter feels badly for being harsh with Roger over his cavalier attitude, and having to use the elevator (instead walking) simply magnifies this feeling. At this point, the silence is uncomfortable between them because they both realize that Roger will pay the ultimate price for having lost his head earlier.

kidgloves
01-Jan-2008, 06:10 PM
My favourite is in my sig which i think is from the script and Directors/Cannes cut.

It sums the whole movie up for me. Mankind is facing extinction unless something is done NOW.

jim102016
02-Jan-2008, 01:20 AM

Ah, the rantings of a lunatic. Not so sure it's under rated, but Wolly sure was one crazy bastard! When I heard him utter this while watching Dawn for the first time, I just knew his mind was gone and he was going to flip out if he successfully entered the building.

major jay
11-Jan-2008, 12:44 AM
Masks for gas.

Ivarr
11-Jan-2008, 03:12 AM
As much as I really don't like that word I do think it summed up who Wooley was and how far he had degenerated.

He illustrated how fast we all can degenerate into a bunch of blood thirsty savages.

He was that segment of civilization loosing its mind and snapping.

runcible
11-Jan-2008, 05:43 PM
It is... Its powerful in a not trying to be powerful way. its real. People talk like that. Especially people like Wooley. Romero could have gone the easier route but he didn't. It was raw. Its such a great line that kind of sums up the whole idea of what Romero's dead searies is all about. We're not fighting the zombies. We're fighting each other. And thats why we're losing the war.

When I saw your first post, I thought, "Oh boy... :rolleyes:"

But... yeah, I guess it is kind of meaningful, especially when contrasted with the "There can be no more divisions among the living..." line later in the film.

Also, it's a hint at one of the underlying themes of the entire series. The zombies never actually "win" in any of the films. We always "lose" because we can't get along.

(BTW:First post -I think- for a loonngg time lurker. Greetings all!)

clanglee
11-Jan-2008, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the board. Good group of people here.

Legion2213
11-Jan-2008, 10:28 PM
"We are down to the line people, we are down to the line..."

Oh, and welcome to the new chap "Runcible". Always good to get new blood...and brains, kidneys, livers etc. :blood2:

SymphonicX
12-Jan-2008, 09:53 PM
Legion: you just made me remember a cracker!!

"Feed them? That's what your suggesting, that we should feed them?"
"What else are we supposed to do?"
(man in background) "Why dont' we start a zoo?"

blind2d
11-Feb-2008, 03:28 PM
Aw man, which part is that from? The first scene in the studio? I can't remember now!

Monrozombi
11-Feb-2008, 04:03 PM
Aw man, which part is that from? The first scene in the studio? I can't remember now!

its when Dr. Millard Roush is talking on the tv to the reporter

blind2d
13-Feb-2008, 02:07 PM
Right, in the studio. Man, I need to watch that one again!:(

SymphonicX
13-Feb-2008, 08:06 PM
yeah that's a blinding quote - comes at just the right moment...love it...

my other fav is Tom Savini yelling "wanna see my whirly bird??"

blind2d
20-Feb-2008, 12:38 PM
"These creatures are nothing more than pure motorized instinct."
Ya gotta love the eyepatch!

Mike70
20-Feb-2008, 03:33 PM
"why don't we drop bombs on all the major cities."

lifelikecarcass
21-Feb-2008, 04:05 AM
What about-
"Do you want to abort it? It's not too late, and I know how".

Doesn't seem like home abortions are in the basic skill set for SWAT guys.
How in the hell did he just come across the knowledge on how to do it?
The way he says it suggests he's done it before.

blind2d
21-Feb-2008, 09:28 AM
Could be he has. Maybe he worked at an abortion clinic before joining the Team.

lifelikecarcass
22-Feb-2008, 04:12 AM
How would you like to be a pregnant teen, and have that dude walk in to do the deed?

SymphonicX
22-Feb-2008, 09:02 AM
well look, his grandad was a priest in Trinidad...those guys can do anything.

Suicycho
24-Feb-2008, 11:32 AM
What about-
"Do you want to abort it? It's not too late, and I know how".

Doesn't seem like home abortions are in the basic skill set for SWAT guys.
How in the hell did he just come across the knowledge on how to do it?
The way he says it suggests he's done it before.

He grew up in the ghetto and probably saw several coat hanger abortions first hand.

jim102016
24-Feb-2008, 12:53 PM
When I was a teenager, there was a handicapped women who used to hang out on the boardwalk in Atlantic City. The rumor was that her mother tried to abort her with a coat hanger, mother was a crackhead. I don't think she had any arms or legs.

Horrible scenerio to think about...