PDA

View Full Version : I need help from Tennesseans

dannoofthedead
02-Jan-2008, 04:50 AM
I need some help, especially from any other Tennesseans, with a book I'm working on. I'm from the Davidson/Rutherford county area of middle TN and am doing some research on local folk lore/mythology in the area. Excluding the Bell Witch (because there are so many books and articles already on her) I am trying to find out about other legends and bits of what could more or lessbe paranormal phenomena in the region. I'm not even sure where I'm heading with it all, if it will be fictionalized stories based on these accounts or if I'll actually try to document them. I've heard a lot of ghost stories so far but most of it is from East and West TN. Ghosts, goblins, monsters, madmen and things that go bump in the night are what I'm trying to locate if there are any. I'd really appreciate any help.

rightwing401
03-Jan-2008, 06:31 AM
You're probably better off just doing a quick online search for local legends and lore. I'm sure if you just type in the area you live in and add folklore/mosters, you'll probably find something.
We've got a few yarns ourselves down here in louisiana. My personal favorite is the monster(s) that live in the swamps of the south and southeastern portions of the state. The locals, mostly coon asses (hicks if you didn't understand that), call it the loup garou, though they pronounce it loo garoo. I remember asking one time if they ment loup garou, french for werewolf, and they swear up and down that it's loo garoo. And just like bigfoot, damn near anybody who ventures into the swamps comes out claiming to have run into the damn thing, though none of them claim to have actually seen it, or bring back anything to verify their tales. Like anywhere else people will say anything to get attention.

dannoofthedead
03-Jan-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, i actually hadn't thought about that with the online search. I've been asking a lot of the old timers here in town and they all seem pretty much stumped by the question. Aside from the Bell Witch we don't seem to have much folk lore right around here that I've found yet.

I've always wanted to go to Louisiana. I've always heard a lot of cool stories from out there.

Relic
03-Jan-2008, 07:27 PM
Google is amazing, and I'm not trying to be ass here. It's amazing what 30 minutes with several search engines will do for fiction research.

We have our own "spook" here in the southwest corner of Missouri. Called the Spook Light. I've seen it. Damn to hell know what it is. But it's been seen since the 18th Century, and it's "spooky" as hell.

Google is amazing, and I'm not trying to be ass here. It's amazing what 30 minutes with several search engines will do for fiction research.

We have our own "spook" here in the southwest corner of Missouri. Called the Spook Light. I've seen it. Damn to hell know what it is. But it's been seen since the 18th Century, and it's "spooky" as hell.