PDA

View Full Version : Speilberg - War of the Worlds extended version?

Neil
03-Jan-2008, 11:51 AM
Wasn't there talk of an extended version? I found the original/cinema version a bit choppy in places, and hoped an extended version might smooth/help it out a bit!?

bassman
03-Jan-2008, 11:59 AM
Im not 100% sure, but I don't think there will be. I seem to remember hearing that Spielberg filmed WOTW very quickly because he was finishing work on Munich and WOTW was due the next summer.

From what I recall, there are only two or three deleted scenes because he made most of the film with digital pre-vis before filming began.

Neil
03-Jan-2008, 01:02 PM
Im not 100% sure, but I don't think there will be. I seem to remember hearing that Spielberg filmed WOTW very quickly because he was finishing work on Munich and WOTW was due the next summer.

From what I recall, there are only two or three deleted scenes because he made most of the film with digital pre-vis before filming began.

Oh! :( Shame... It could have been a bit better!

DjfunkmasterG
03-Jan-2008, 02:52 PM
Plus... Spielberg gets final cut in his contract, so whatever version we see is pretty much his directors' cut.

Neil
03-Jan-2008, 03:28 PM
Plus... Spielberg gets final cut in his contract, so whatever version we see is pretty much his directors' cut.

Not necessarily...

'Director Cuts' are a financial tool as well now... They must certainly help DVD sales!

bassman
03-Jan-2008, 04:18 PM

Are you sure? I ask because I just bought the new SE of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and it has three different versions. Including a director's cut.

There's also a SE cut of E.T., if i'm not mistaken.

Tricky
03-Jan-2008, 05:39 PM
I thought it started brilliantly,the scene with the first tripod was awesome,and the sound they made would chill me to the bone if it was real!the ending was absolute cod sh!t though,how the hell did that kid manage to survive that massive battle even though the military were wiped out,and even worse he was just sat at home without so much as a scratch at the end,typical spielberg ending,ruined what could have been a classic re-telling of the story :rolleyes:

DjfunkmasterG
03-Jan-2008, 05:39 PM
Back then Spielberg wouldn't have had Final Cut... that was the 70's, but you can bet with his string of hits in the last 30 years he has it now.

capncnut
03-Jan-2008, 08:09 PM
I hope he doesn't release an extended version, the original was bad enough. In my eyes, it shat on the grave of H.G. Wells. :dead:

Legion2213
04-Jan-2008, 04:19 AM
I thought it started brilliantly,the scene with the first tripod was awesome,and the sound they made would chill me to the bone if it was real!the ending was absolute cod sh!t though,how the hell did that kid manage to survive that massive battle even though the military were wiped out,and even worse he was just sat at home without so much as a scratch at the end,typical spielberg ending,ruined what could have been a classic re-telling of the story :rolleyes:

Good call! That trumpeting sound the walkers made would scare the sh!t out of anyone.

And yes, the ending was very disappointing...everybody lives, hurrah! :bored:

Rottedfreak
06-Jan-2008, 02:58 PM
there were scenes planned where after the ferry scene namely:
- Ray, Robbie and Rachel walk through the woods and find red weed.
- They have a run in with black smoke and climb a tree to escape it.
- Find a new housing estate called Camelot they witness Tripods collecting humans from inside houses and the run alongside some residents that are fleeing them through the street the Tripods open fire on them forcing the trio to enter a store packed with people, once everyone outside is dusted the Tripod tears the store apart to get them.