PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts

mista_mo
09-Jan-2008, 06:41 AM
so, i've been thinking about getting healthy again, and I've always had a vested interest in martial arts, so I was wondering if anyone here who actively participates or who has at one time, could tell me what they thought of it?

There are two schools in this area, one that teaches karate, and one that teaches kung fu (which cover Hung-gar, Wing Chun, Dopi, Dragon Tiger, Black Tiger forms, and i've always liked the hung-gar form for some reason) tai chi chuan, and chi kung styles, along with meditation practices.

so, I'm looking for eye witness testimony. Also, how was your level of fitness going into the training, and then coming out?

thanks in advance.

FoodFight
09-Jan-2008, 03:02 PM
I've had two periods in my life where I've been involved with martial arts. First was in my late teens/early 20's when I was involved with karate and judo, then later with hand-to-hand skills in the service (not particularly an 'art', but rather effective). I wouldn't specifically attribute my fitness to the activity at that time as I was involved in many other actions to stay healthy.

The past 3 years I've been exposed to the arts since my little girl is involved in them. The Tae Kwon Do in particular has been beneficial health-wise, but the arnis has many, many more practical self-defense applications.

In your position you should consider comparing both soft and hard styles and decide which you like most. Speeding your reflexes, controlling breathing and such (seemingly) mundane skills as learning to fall correctly will benefit you throughout your life.

slickwilly13
09-Jan-2008, 04:14 PM
I am training to be a pro fighter so ask away. The arts I have trained so far: amateur wrestling, northen style kung fu, judo, Brazilian jui jitsu, boxing, and muay thai.

As for my fittness level, right now I am fit, but not in fight shape. Been slacking off, since I am moving to another house tomorrow. When I was in fight shape I would consider my fittness level as advanced, but not as an elite.

Dommm
10-Jan-2008, 03:32 PM
I have done Tae Kwon do, Thai Kick Boxing, Caporaro. I found the one that most effect my speed, reflexes, muscle, balance general health was caporaro mean while Tae Kwon do most helped balance and breathing and thai kickboxing helped develop power and muscle. Only problem is I have had a few injuries from caporaro whilst never been injured in the rest (cept once in Tae Kwon in a sparring sessions).

Graebel
11-Jan-2008, 05:41 PM
I studied kenpo and muy thai when I was younger and my fitness level was extremely high because I trained with people who with amatuer and semi-pro fighters..... and cause I was kind of nutty about exercising 2-3 times a day.

I just started judo a few months ago and I'm sure its helping fitness wise, although I can't always tell because of the bruises. And since last night was chokes and arm bars, there's parts of my body that are still lacking some feeling. But seriously, my core body strength is improving significantly.

paulannett
15-Jan-2008, 03:15 PM
If you take part in kickboxing two or three times a week you'll be fit as a fiddle in no time. If you can take a beginners course (usually 6 weeks), you'll be eased into both the fitness aspect and the flexibility aspects. Even if your fitness levels are quite low, you should be okay.

Before kickboxing I was reasonably fit, I've always played football (soccer) and I hit the gym 4-5 times a week.

In kickboxing you need a lot of explosive fitness, short bursts of energy with speedy recovery times, so if I were you I'd go for some HIIT (high intensity interval training)...

Sprint to lamp post (A), jog to lamp post (B), sprint to (C), jog to (D) walk to (E) and then repeat!

Oh and last, but not least... UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE UP KARATE! If you're doing martial arts to get fit, you may as well get some useful info to help defend yourself too and karate will not do the job.

kortick
15-Jan-2008, 06:21 PM
I suggest you take up cigarettes and beer.

forget this whole fitness nonsense.

your gonna die anyway.

and if you are worried about
people bothering you, in my experience the same
people you buy your drugs from can usually
get you a gun.

like they say,
"eat healthy, exercise regularly, live wholesome, and die anyway"

I may be going to Hell in a bucket
but at least Im enjoying the ride.

Graebel
15-Jan-2008, 06:44 PM
I suggest you take up cigarettes and beer.

forget this whole fitness nonsense.

your gonna die anyway.

and if you are worried about
people bothering you, in my experience the same
people you buy your drugs from can usually
get you a gun.

like they say,

I may be going to Hell in a bucket
but at least Im enjoying the ride.

:lol::lol::lol:
kortick, that got me wierd looks when I burst out laughing...too funny.... and yet sadly, so true

SoCalLoco
16-Jan-2008, 03:25 PM
Martial arts is lame. I bet most of those UFC fighters and professional boxers have dicks the size of thumb tacks. They're just like the guys who drive fancy italian sports cars. They're over compensating for having little dicks and low self-esteem.

But as for getting fit, i'm sure martial arts is a good way to attain that goal. I think my mother and sis did Tai-bo for a while and they're both pretty skinny.

mista_mo
16-Jan-2008, 03:35 PM
Martial arts is lame. I bet most of those UFC fighters and professional boxers have dicks the size of thumb tacks. They're just like the guys who drive fancy italian sports cars. They're over compensating for having little dicks and low self-esteem.

But as for getting fit, i'm sure martial arts is a good way to attain that goal. I think my mother and sis did Tai-bo for a while and they're both pretty skinny.

umm what?

SoCalLoco
16-Jan-2008, 03:38 PM
umm what?

Did I stutter, bitch?

mista_mo
16-Jan-2008, 03:44 PM
anyway,

I am goign to contact that temple knights thing today, and avoid karate like the plague.

hopefully they'll let me in even with my shoulder that likes to dislocate itself sometimes heh.

SoCalLoco
16-Jan-2008, 03:48 PM
anyway,

I am goign to contact that temple knights thing today, and avoid karate like the plague.

hopefully they'll let me in even with my shoulder that likes to dislocate itself sometimes heh.

Dude, just take Tai-bo. Or you can just Wang Chung tonight. I heard that works too.

slickwilly13
16-Jan-2008, 05:47 PM

Yeah, and I bet you're even smaller, keyboard warrior. I would bet everything I own that you wouldn't last one round against any pro fighter. You would psyche yourself out before stepping foot in the ring. So, think before you post and talk crap.

SoCalLoco
16-Jan-2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah, and I bet you're even smaller, keyboard warrior. I would bet everything I own that you wouldn't last one round against any pro fighter. You would psyche yourself out before stepping foot in the ring. So, think before you post and talk crap.

First of all, I don't have to prove my worth by fighting in a ring. Secondly, good? bad? I'm the guy with the gun. Don't tread on me and you're fine.

And finally, "the whole, I'm big and bad from Texas mantra" doesn't work on me. Neither does your lame ass martial arts resume. No matter how hard I try I just can't take you seriously.

slickwilly13
16-Jan-2008, 11:40 PM
So, what you're saying is "I'm a wuss who would rather hide behind a gun or a computer than be man and fight." Whatever.

As for my pathetic resume, you don't know sh!t about me. And I doubt you could ever do anything to me. You're nothing but a troll, so go back under your bridge.

SoCalLoco
17-Jan-2008, 02:06 AM
So, what you're saying is "I'm a wuss who would rather hide behind a gun or a computer than be man and fight." Whatever.

As for my pathetic resume, you don't know sh!t about me. And I doubt you could ever do anything to me. You're nothing but a troll, so go back under your bridge.

If it isn't worth killing for then it isn't worth fighting for. That's what i'm saying. I stand on principles and liberty, and that's why I don't have to hide behind a gun or a computer. Quite the opposite, in fact. If I do have to fight, I fight for keeps. It won't be a game of grab ass in a cage with another half-naked man.

As for your martial arts resume, I stand on what I said. You're a lame dick. If you want to over-comphensate for your inadequacies as a man by playing grab ass in some homo-erotic competition, be my guest. Just don't get mad at me when I laugh at you because of it.

slickwilly13
17-Jan-2008, 03:23 AM
If it isn't worth killing for then it isn't worth fighting for. That's what i'm saying. I stand on principles and liberty, and that's why I don't have to hide behind a gun or a computer. Quite the opposite, in fact. If I do have to fight, I fight for keeps. It won't be a game of grab ass in a cage with another half-naked man.

As for your martial arts resume, I stand on what I said. You're a lame dick. If you want to over-comphensate for your inadequacies as a man by playing grab ass in some homo-erotic competition, be my guest. Just don't get mad at me when I laugh at you because of it.

Dude, you're a freaking idoit and a prick. If homo-eroticism is all you think about then you have problems. All Mo asked for was some advice and you had to spew a bunch of crap about something you obviously know nothing about. You seem to talk about the 2nd amendment a lot, too. Sounds to me you're the one trying to over compensate.

Andy
17-Jan-2008, 04:05 PM
so, i've been thinking about getting healthy again, and I've always had a vested interest in martial arts, so I was wondering if anyone here who actively participates or who has at one time, could tell me what they thought of it?

There are two schools in this area, one that teaches karate, and one that teaches kung fu (which cover Hung-gar, Wing Chun, Dopi, Dragon Tiger, Black Tiger forms, and i've always liked the hung-gar form for some reason) tai chi chuan, and chi kung styles, along with meditation practices.

so, I'm looking for eye witness testimony. Also, how was your level of fitness going into the training, and then coming out?

thanks in advance.

I Keep myself fit with weight lifting and running, i also do judo which is good experience for work, its mainly locking your oppenent up and defense, which is good for retail security :)

By the way, SoCalLoco and slickwilly13, the argument stops here. if you have some kind of beef with each other then take it up in private messages or off the forums but not in public topics.

Now thats me asking nicely. thankyou.

mista_mo
17-Jan-2008, 04:37 PM
perfect, I hope this doesn't go into ****sville again, This is a very interesting topic, especially based on what everyone is saying about it.

oh yea, what about military training? how would that compare? I'd imagine alot of it would be more practical and brutal.

slickwilly13
17-Jan-2008, 04:48 PM
I was never in the military, so I am unaware of their training in boot camp. I do recommend anaerobic training, instead of aerobic.

mista_mo
17-Jan-2008, 04:58 PM
what types of exercises are classified under that type? I used to know all about this stuff, but yea, i kinda forgot.

slickwilly13
17-Jan-2008, 05:15 PM
Here's the diffrences.

Aerobic would be long distance running at a slow controlled pace.

Anaerobic would be sprinting.

Two diffrent styles of training with diffrent purposes. If you were competing as a sprinter, then you waste your time jogging mile after mile at a slow pace. Instead, you would do sprinting drills. And a marathon runner wouldn't spend many hours on the track doing sprints. Because that's not their goal.

Other type of anaerobic exercises. Bag work, jumping rope at a fast pace, or any *exposive* movement.

kortick
17-Jan-2008, 06:36 PM
Its actually kind of fun to
read this thread while having a
budwieser and a marlboro.

but it is interesting to learn about
the different kinds of exercise

most people i know just work out
at a gym on the machines

oh yeah and mo
tai bo is a thing like
dancing and exercising put together
mostly for overweight housewives
not for you

and everybody should wang chung tonight
why not?

Mike70
17-Jan-2008, 08:26 PM
Its actually kind of fun to
read this thread while having a
budwieser and a marlboro.

agreed. this thread has provided quite of bit of entertainment.

seems like folks have been in an ugly mood here last couple of days and surprise, surprise i haven't instigated or participated in any of it. oh well, i am sure something will set me off sooner or later.

clanglee
18-Jan-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't see most of the previous posts. My enormous gut was blocking the monitor. What was that again? ;)

Debbieangel
18-Jan-2008, 02:48 AM
Let's all exercise...index fingers UP and DOWN...one..two...three!
Sorry, I had to be the wisecracker in the crowd!
Mo, I hope ya find the right exercise or martial arts you are looking for, I hear it is good discipline for your mind and body and spirit.
My Neurologist would like me toget into Yoga and Ti Chai(sp), supposed to be good for the nerves and muscles if that helps ya any? ;)

FoodFight
18-Jan-2008, 04:21 AM
MistaMo said

oh yea, what about military training? how would that compare? I'd imagine alot of it would be more practical and brutal.

Military training is primarily concerned with issued weapons (knives, bayonets, etc.) and readily available items that can be pressed into service as weapons (tent poles, tent pegs, sticks, entrenching tools, helmets, etc.) It also differs in that the standard duty uniform is used instead of a gi, hakama, or what have you. It is indeed brutal, since its' primary purpose is to kill and really isn't an 'art' per se. That is one of the reasons that I'm drawn toward arnis (eskrima, kali, etc.) in which one trains in street clothes and is initially schooled in weapons and is later trained in open hand techniques, which is much the opposite of most arts.

DubiousComforts
18-Jan-2008, 04:35 AM
Wow, this thread got really weird about a page back. Anyhow...

I do recommend anaerobic training, instead of aerobic.
Though I've heard both schools of thought in regards to fitness, a friend who is both an IT guy and a musician by trade (we play in the same band) is the fittest person that I know due primarily to long-distance running, and he's not a string bean, either. Everyone else that I know who is middle-aged and participates in sports such as soccer, basketball or football - well, they all have beer-guts. It obviously helps to eat properly, too.

slickwilly13
18-Jan-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, this thread got really weird about a page back. Anyhow...

Though I've heard both schools of thought in regards to fitness, a friend who is both an IT guy and a musician by trade (we play in the same band) is the fittest person that I know due primarily to long-distance running, and he's not a string bean, either. Everyone else that I know who is middle-aged and participates in sports such as soccer, basketball or football - well, they all have beer-guts. It obviously helps to eat properly, too.

It all depends on what Mo's goals are. If he wishes to train in martial arts and possibly compete, then long distance running will not be practical for him. For example, if he this throwing punches and kicks while constantly moving then he will be using anaerobic movements. He won't be in fight shape if he only trains aerobicly. He'll tank out too quick. It happened to me years ago the first time I ever sparred against a pro boxer. I was in excellent shape from lifting weights and running long distance, but I tanked out after 2 rounds/ 3 minutes per round. I was in great shape, but not fight shape. My body wasn't used to the anaerobic stress and tired out too quick.

Yes, you must eat properly or your just defeating the purpose.

paulannett
18-Jan-2008, 09:05 PM
Slick Willy speaks the truth.

If it weren't for my years of football (soocer to yanks) kickboxing would have killed me. My fitness definitely helped me to improve my kickboxing faster than your average-joe schlub. Just like in every sport, the less you need to worry about fitness, the more you can concentrate on technique and actually getting better at the game.

Mike70
18-Jan-2008, 09:13 PM
i'm with kortick on this. might as well take up smoking and drinking lots of alcohol. everyone will die so might as well enjoy it.

just do enough to keep yourself from getting fat and repugnant.

paulannett
18-Jan-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, I disagree with both of you! Not only do I want to be fighting fit for as long as I can, I may also want to compete (in sports in general) in the future so... And, it isn't as if I'm slacking in experiencing life either. If anything, I think I'm enhancing it. I enjoy a beer, I enjoy eating out, I enjoy clubbing, but I also enjoy feeling and looking my best... I don't remember the last time I was sick, for example. Plus, I guess it helps that enjoys putting myself through the pains of training.

L'Oreal, because I'm worth it. :cool:

Mike70
18-Jan-2008, 09:37 PM
you're just too sexy for this forum i guess...:lol::moon::D

paulannett
18-Jan-2008, 09:40 PM
Not too sexy for this forum, Scip. Just too sexy for you! :lol:

Dommm
21-Jan-2008, 01:44 PM
My Neurologist would like me toget into Yoga and Ti Chai(sp), supposed to be good for the nerves and muscles if that helps ya any? ;)

Yogas also great for flexibility, breath Control and mental focus (great to control pain and emotion)

Tai chi Is great for flexibility, energy levels and mental focus

mista_mo
21-Jan-2008, 02:05 PM
so people, i finally got myself a gym membership, and found i am much weaker then i previusly was.

However, I did something i've never done before- I did pushups with a varying and increasing foot height. Holy **** I loved it! Me and my friend did alot of em, using a step board, and we gradually incraesed the height as we went up. got 6 or so stacked up high before we said screw it (we did triceps that day as well, prior to the push-ups) and then skipping. now that was intense, outta breathe way faster then i ever was whenever i ran.

Danny
21-Jan-2008, 02:32 PM
yeah going to gyms and that with freinds is a lot better than going on your own i think.

mista_mo
21-Jan-2008, 02:46 PM
oh hell yea! you, at the very least, have someone to spot you. At anouther level you have someone to keep you company, and just shoot the **** with.

slickwilly13
21-Jan-2008, 04:55 PM
Try doing handstand pushups. I cannot even do one, yet. Btw, the more you elavate your feet during pushups the more it focuses on your shoulders. I started a new exercise this week. I elavate my feet by place them on a wall at an angle. I building myself up to handstand pushups.

kortick
22-Jan-2008, 03:27 AM
your'e all crazy

heres a clue:

look at your parents or grandparents

some day that will be you.

now do you want to waste your free time with exercise
or having fun?
you see what the end result is. its inevitable.

its like trying to shovel smoke
with a pitchfork in the wind

ahhh....do as you will

and Mo after all that you go and follow MY advice
and join a gym and work out on the machines?

well keep us posted
and remember if you cant afford the fee
for the gym you can get out of overdue bills
by claiming you caught herpes from their place.

good luck Mo (oh and dont think that remark about
rugby in my Pats post went un-noticed you little horror)

paulannett
22-Jan-2008, 07:32 AM
So after joining the gym and paying for a membership, you do press-ups for your workout?!

Hit the free weights, Chicken legs... squat, deadlift and bench inparticular. :D

mista_mo
22-Jan-2008, 07:38 AM
no, i did triceps and back exercises for an hour in the gym (using machines and free weights) then closed with the push up thingy. I think i'm going to do that most days...but alternate between push-ups and sit-ups.

I used to be able to do hand stand push-ups slick, the most ive done at once was 10, and that was before i screwed my arm up, and even after that, i could do em, but had my back against a wall for added support. Yep, the more you elevate your feet, more emphasis on your shoulders. or you can just spread your arms farther apart when doing regular push-ups.

and kortick, you never commented on the the rugby thing, so i assume that you are more of a rugby fan then a football one.

fartpants
22-Jan-2008, 10:38 AM
now now ladies, play nicely....

paulannett
22-Jan-2008, 03:30 PM
no, i did triceps and back exercises for an hour in the gym (using machines and free weights) then closed with the push up thingy. I think i'm going to do that most days...but alternate between push-ups and sit-ups.

I used to be able to do hand stand push-ups slick, the most ive done at once was 10, and that was before i screwed my arm up, and even after that, i could do em, but had my back against a wall for added support. Yep, the more you elevate your feet, more emphasis on your shoulders. or you can just spread your arms farther apart when doing regular push-ups.

There's no point in doing hand-stand push-ups, except for the novelty factor. Instead it'd be best to do military press (barbell for raw strength, dumbbells for more emphasis on control/stabilisation and a greater depth of movement).

How'd you screw your arm up? I've been lucky enough to stay injury free, except for mild niggles/twinges.

What's your routine like? I find triceps/back a weird combination... The typical spilt is usually back/biceps, chest/triceps, legs/shoulders.

It's great to warm up with a few push-ups and just as great to cool down with them, good job closing the work-out with them.

mista_mo
22-Jan-2008, 03:37 PM
shoulder dislocation, 7 or 8 times.

it's quite umm...tender, and it has such a low range of motion now, and i am terrified of over exerting it, because i have never felt so much physical pain in my life then when my shoulder dislocated..

Basically, I mix a major muscle group with a minor group. I used to do chest/triceps, but i decided to change things up a lil bit. What I'm looking for now are some wicked awesome sit-up variations.

slickwilly13
22-Jan-2008, 05:01 PM
I never experienced stress on my shoulders from doing wide pushups. I feel more stress on the pecs. I don't have weights, so bodyweight and floor exercises are the only option for me. I do plan on constructing a sandbag for lifting. It will improve my grip strength as well as my upper body. Towel pullups work for that, too. I received a number of looks at the boxing gym while performing towel pullups. Nothing bad just curious looks. Gym owner described me as being hardcore. :cool: I need to pay them guys a visit soon.

Mutineer
22-Jan-2008, 06:39 PM
WTF is with SoCal Loco ? Dude, you're giving SoCal a bad name. Chill out.

It isn't whether or not we all die one day; it's the qaulity of life you live.

mista_mo
23-Jan-2008, 09:04 PM
I never experienced stress on my shoulders from doing wide pushups. I feel more stress on the pecs. I don't have weights, so bodyweight and floor exercises are the only option for me. I do plan on constructing a sandbag for lifting. It will improve my grip strength as well as my upper body. Towel pullups work for that, too. I received a number of looks at the boxing gym while performing towel pullups. Nothing bad just curious looks. Gym owner described me as being hardcore. :cool: I need to pay them guys a visit soon.

I've always felt it more in my shoulders with a wider grip. i usually go shoulder width as it seems to be a nice middle ground between my shoulders and triceps and chest.

Towel cinups? never heard of em before, what are they good for (grip strength??) do they work the back as well as regular chin ups, and how would you safely do em? something i gotta try next time i'm at the gym.
and btw, i hate decline benchpresses, my shorts kept coming down as i slid down the bench.

slickwilly13
23-Jan-2008, 09:27 PM
I have to correct you on something. Chinups and pullups are diffrent exercises that target diffrent muscle groups.
Pullups: usually a wider grip and palms face out; targets most lats.
Chinups: usually a narrower grip and palms face in; targets arms

Towel pullups: You hang a large towel over the middle of the bar. Grab each end of the towel and pull yourself up. It works the back, but also focuses on the fore arms and grip strength.

EP3Zq0fJ5B8&feature=related

mista_mo
23-Jan-2008, 09:33 PM
it seems that chin-ups and pull-ups are just variations of each other however. I use both anyway, Depending on my mood, I switch my grip so as too work different parts on my back. I had it in my awesome weight lifting/exercise book, but i can't find it.

Good way to get my biceps pumped was to use narrow grip chin-ups, palms facing in towards me. Best bicep exercise i've done, i swear (plus it'd double for my back ones as well).

Is there not a danger of the towel ripping or tearing though when you do towel pull-ups?

and whats your diet like?

slickwilly13
23-Jan-2008, 09:50 PM
Use a bath towel that is in good shape. If necessary, twist the ends so it is like a rope. My diet is fairly clean for the most part. I do not eat fastfood on a regular basis. Maybe 1-4 times per year. In fact, I have never eaten at a Taco Bell. No lie. I used to gorge when I was younger, but no more. I eat to live not live to eat. When I am in serious training I stick with complex carbs and try my best to minimize if not eliminate simple carbs. It gets more complexed, especially, if I am trying to stay within a certain weight class.

mista_mo
23-Jan-2008, 09:55 PM
hmmm, do you take any supplements? like protien or anything?
I am slowly getting my diet on track. Fast food is limited to once a week at most, and instead of munching on chocolate at work, i eat salad. really the only healthy, cheap thing there.

slickwilly13
23-Jan-2008, 10:46 PM
I'll add to this later. I have to attend class.

O.k., I'm back. I took a lot of supplements when I weight lifted years ago. High quality multi-vitamins, whey or egg & whey powders, creatine, L-glutamine, L-tyrosine, and L-arginine. Now days I've chilled on the supplements. I watch what I eat and take multi-vitamins.

paulannett
24-Jan-2008, 12:36 PM
Stick to simple supps, Mo.

Essentials:

Whey Protein
Fish oils
multi-vit
BCAA's (amino acids) (this is, IMO, the most under-used, yet essential supplement...)

Consider throwing in creatine, ZMA and glutamine, though I don't bother with them.

Oh and, not to try to shoot slickwilly down, I'd stay away from variations (like towel pullups) until you were 100% comfortable with standard exercises again...

mista_mo
24-Jan-2008, 12:46 PM
is there a certain time to use em at?
I dunno much about suppliments. And i am going to try towel pull-ups, just to say I can do em..just..not til next week.

paulannett
24-Jan-2008, 08:21 PM
It all depends.

I take my fish oil capsule, multivit and BCAA scoop first thing in the morning.

I have a protein scoop first thing in the morning, right after my workout and before I go to bed.

Before I go to bed, I take a scoop of ZMA (a supposed testosterone booster, but it's a great sleep booster and also gives you ****ed up, but really great dreams).

Mike70
24-Jan-2008, 09:01 PM
It all depends.

I have a protein scoop first thing in the morning, right after my workout and before I go to bed.

Before I go to bed, I take a scoop of ZMA (a supposed testosterone booster, but it's a great sleep booster and also gives you ****ed up, but really great dreams).

paul's kids are gonna be able to say "my dad can beat up your dad" and mean it.:p:D

slickwilly13
24-Jan-2008, 10:03 PM
I have never used fish oils, but have used flax seed oil. But, I also consume a lot of fish.

slickwilly13
14-Feb-2008, 05:33 PM
Ok. Its been a while and hopefully this won't auto merge. I bought a $10 27.5" basketball at my local Sports Authority. A basketball can be used for diffrent things other than playing basketball. Which I do not play. Here are 2 things you can do.

1. assisted one arm pushups: Some people cannot do one arm pushups, but this will help. Place your hand on a basketball to help stablize you. I was doing them last night while watching the fights.

2. diamond pushups on a basketball: More challenging than regular diamond pushups, because you are at an incline and have to balance yourself.

Chic Freak
15-Feb-2008, 09:28 AM
hmmm, do you take any supplements? like protien or anything?

I'm pretty sure protein shakes etc are meant to be bad for you in the long-term... my aim with the diet/ exercise thing has always been more to shrink down that buff up (lol) but I swear I remember reading somewhere that protein supplements eventually screw up your metabolism and make you fat... or something?

Sorry I can't be more specific, I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

PS Cod liver oil etc is good for your brain and skin as well as your joints :thumbsup: But as long as your diet isn't total crap you should only take multivitamin tabs every *other* day to avoid vitamin overdose (e.g. too much vitamin A can actually make you ill).

kortick
15-Feb-2008, 05:48 PM
Here is a true story.
a person was out for thier usual jog
the street had a sign on it that lit up
and read "slow down" when anyone went over 30mph
so he was determined he was gonna run past that sign
for just that short stretch fast enough to make it go on.
he trained and exercised and finally he took off in a sprint
at the sign.
He fell on to the pavement, from a heart attack.
Dead.

He was 14.

I'll smoke a cigarette and have a
shot of scotch over your graves guys.

Mike70
15-Feb-2008, 05:50 PM
Here is a true story.
a person was out for thier usual jog
the street had a sign on it that lit up
and read "slow down" when anyone went over 30mph
so he was determined he was gonna run past that sign
for just that short stretch fast enough to make it go on.
he trained and exercised and finally he took off in a sprint
at the sign.
He fell on to the pavement, from a heart attack.
Dead.

He was 14.

:lol: this kid wasn't very smart either - considering that the fastest humans in the world only make it to 25 mph.

capncnut
15-Feb-2008, 06:38 PM
Haha. <toasts>

slickwilly13
22-Feb-2008, 07:21 PM
I DID IT!!! I FINALLY F#CKING DID IT!!! I can now do one arm pushups! Not many, but I can do them now.

Mike70
22-Feb-2008, 07:38 PM
I DID IT!!! I FINALLY F#CKING DID IT!!! I can now do one arm pushups! Not many, but I can do them now.

excellent.

BUT

can you do them in formal wear with an audience like jack palance?:lol::p

kortick
22-Feb-2008, 07:53 PM
James F. Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution.
In his books and on television talk shows, he extolled the benefits of physical exercise and how it considerably increased the average human being's life expectancy.
Fixx died at the age of 52 of a massive heart attack, after his daily run.

When the author of the Complete Book of Running drops dead from exercise,
I feel fully vindicated in my beliefs.

Live every day like it was your last, cuz one day it will be.

Mike70
22-Feb-2008, 07:55 PM
J
Live every day like it was your last, cuz one day it will be.

damn good words to live by. i'd raise a shot glass to you if it wasn't 3:54pm.
i'll toast this thread later on tonight...

slickwilly13
22-Feb-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, but there's a big diffrence between how I train vs people who push themselves to the point of doing more harm than good. Besides, people die all the time, even those in shape. You hear about it on the news once in a while. A young American football player who is either in jr high, high school, or college dropping dead on the field during practice. Even those numbers are very small compared to those who do not die while playing sports.

Personally, I find it foolish and unpractical to workout in a gym for 8 hours a day.

Eyebiter
23-Feb-2008, 01:59 AM
If your out of practice now start with a low impact workout. Tai Chi is a good way to improve your flexibility and gradually strengthen your legs and knees. You can always move up to a hard style later on.

mista_mo
23-Feb-2008, 12:09 PM
i completely forgot about this thread! Boo urns!

I've allready noticed a huge increase in my energy levels, strength, flexibility, confidence, and overall health just from going to the gym. I'm in love with Jump rope and push-ups.
Lately, I've been trying to try out some new jump rope training moves (such as runnign in place or flipping the rope twice in a single jump) in each set i do. Best cardio/body exercise period I think.

And, I realixed the secret to running....breath control! I jogged for 13 straight minutes (reached about a mile or so before i lost my focus and needed a drink) which is VERY good for me. Wasn't going too too fast, but at a pace that worked for me, and i felt great afterwords.

Still gotta look into an actual martial art however, i keep putting it off, what with messing up my leg and work lol.

*btw slick, that ross training site has been a hot bed of information, and I still appreciate the link*

slickwilly13
23-Feb-2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah, breathing is very important. If you don't control your breathing you will hyperventilate *spelling?* in no time and tire much quicker. And jumping rope is a great substitute for running or jogging.

Ross helped me out when other trainers failed to do their job. His books are worth checking out. I have four of them.

IRA_LCPL
26-Feb-2008, 04:42 AM
It all depends.

they jack you up with so much Aminos and ZMA in the US Military when you are in Basic and Boot you can almost feel it in your body you shave your face in the morning and almost have to do it again that night. Also cool about Aminos if you lift too much and hurt yourself they knit your muscles back quicker

Chic Freak
26-Feb-2008, 09:07 AM
Zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6 gives you f*cked-up dreams? Is it because of the testosterone increase? And does it also increase your libido?

Not trying to be funny, I'm just interested. I haven't really heard much about this before.