PDA

View Full Version : Transformers - Why the need to 'sex it up'...

Neil
10-Jan-2008, 10:36 AM
Watched about 3/4 of the film last night...

One thing confuses me.. Why the need to 'sex it up'? The film is obviously aimed at kids, so why the need to put in the sexual references?

From a parents point of view I'd love to let my little one watch this (in a couple of years) except for:-
1) One or two violent scenes (maybe?)
2) The unecessary sexual references etc...

Am I a prude or something!?

Danny
10-Jan-2008, 11:34 AM
nope the lead gal was only there for the male gaze factor, i mean that shot were it goes up her legs and back as she lifts up the bonnet?, yeah, thats kid freindly, she couldnt act for ****, only eye candy, plus the "golden shower" bit was unneeded.

Neil
10-Jan-2008, 11:36 AM
Shame they had to taint what is really a kids film in this way :(

bassman
10-Jan-2008, 11:44 AM
It's not exactly a kids film. It's rated PG13 over here. Besides....it's Michael Bay. He's not much of a children's filmmaker. I would say that it's aimed more at the 13-30 male demographic.

My friend has 3 boys ranging from 5 years old to 12 years old and all of them love Transformers and have never even noticed the girl being flaunted around. To them...it's just a movie.

Neil
10-Jan-2008, 12:02 PM
It's not exactly a kids film. It's rated PG13 over here. Besides....it's Michael Bay. He's not much of a children's filmmaker. I would say that it's aimed more at the 13-30 male demographic.

My friend has 3 boys ranging from 5 years old to 12 years old and all of them love Transformers and have never even noticed the girl being flaunted around. To them...it's just a movie.

Hmmm... Sure if I'd put a 5yr thru that film...

Kids pick up on things even at an early age and I'm sure my nugget would pick up on the sexual stuff, but not understand what it's about. I don't want him bothering himself about that sort of stuff yet... ie: Looking at the world in that way yet...

bassman
10-Jan-2008, 12:03 PM
Which is why the film's rated for teenagers.;)

Graebel
10-Jan-2008, 12:29 PM
We let my 6 yr old watch it only because I knew I'd hear about it for the rest of my life if I didn't. Previously the worst movie he's seen for violence was the original Star Wars trilogy.

This was well worth the two hours of seeing his little face light up at the giant transforming robots. And while there was some violence it was very non-graphic.

He thought the one girl was "pretty" but missed most of the connotations. However, my husband completely missed the see-through top the blond was wearing for half the movie. :p So some of the sexing it up didn't even hit the big ones.

CornishCorpse
10-Jan-2008, 12:31 PM
We let my 6 yr old watch it only because I knew I'd hear about it for the rest of my life if I didn't. Previously the worst movie he's seen for violence was the original Star Wars trilogy.

This was well worth the two hours of seeing his little face light up at the giant transforming robots. And while there was some violence it was very non-graphic.

He thought the one girl was "pretty" but missed most of the connotations. However, my husband completely missed the see-through top the blond was wearing for half the movie. :p So some of the sexing it up didn't even hit the big ones.

Lol He missed the see through top or told you he missed it? Big diffrence :D

bassman
10-Jan-2008, 12:53 PM

Wait. See-through top?

Ivarr
10-Jan-2008, 01:39 PM
This double standard is crazy.

Destruction and violence are fine... sex is not?

We are all doomed.

And anyone who thought this file was made for kids has to be fouling themselves. Its not a cartoon, it has very graphic battle scenes and the girl showing off her hot, glistening tight... what was I talking about?

Well, I hope you get my point.

The film was marketed at young adults and not "kids".

It reminds me of standing in line for the first Jurasic Park movie when the theater ower came out and saw all the parents standing in line with small children and he anounced:

"Parents... This is not Barney! This movie is very inapropriate for small children. I repeat... it is NOT Barney!"

I think only one parent took their child out of line. So later we were all treated to crying children who I am sure had nightmares for weeks.

The point being that at least in America, the average parent does not really pay much atention to what a movie is targeted at... they just assume and let fly.

God help us all

Danny
10-Jan-2008, 02:07 PM

We are all doomed.

yes, becuase just the other week i had to throw one of my sneakers at devastator and preceptor having a scrap behind the skatepark at 1am:|

Neil
10-Jan-2008, 03:11 PM

We are all doomed.

And anyone who thought this file was made for kids has to be fouling themselves. Its not a cartoon, it has very graphic battle scenes and the girl showing off her hot, glistening tight... what was I talking about?

Well, I hope you get my point.

The film was marketed at young adults and not "kids".

It reminds me of standing in line for the first Jurasic Park movie when the theater ower came out and saw all the parents standing in line with small children and he anounced:

"Parents... This is not Barney! This movie is very inapropriate for small children. I repeat... it is NOT Barney!"

I think only one parent took their child out of line. So later we were all treated to crying children who I am sure had nightmares for weeks.

The point being that at least in America, the average parent does not really pay much atention to what a movie is targeted at... they just assume and let fly.

God help us all

You're right of course in some respects...

I suspect it's just me seeing ow unecessary the sexing up was... The explosions and violence are part in part with f***** large robots blowing up things. But the sex aspect was just cheep IMHO...

So you're right, but I think I have a point in there somewhere :)

Rottedfreak
10-Jan-2008, 05:14 PM
What they should work on in the next movie is the TFs dialogue and motions, I would have accepted that the good bots speak that way to communicate better with various humans but the Decepticon actiond- mostly the gremlin like Frenzy - destroy it.

MinionZombie
10-Jan-2008, 06:02 PM
I was perhaps a smidge surprised by the sex-ish talk, like the masturbation talk (although I found it funny)...but to be honest, kids have no idea what that stuff means and it flies over their head.

Look at Ghostbusters - that film has LOADS of sex-jokes or sex-related lines in it - they ALL flew right over my head and I didn't even notice them until I was 22! :eek::)

It's a bunch of robots smashing the place up, that's what a kid will see when they watch the film, they won't be paying attention to dialogue or understand any adult jokes. I mean heck, the Aardman Animation films have plenty of adult-aimed jokes in them...be they references only adults would get to films or tv or whatever, or if it's a nude Wallace using a box that says "may contain nuts" on it to hide his shame.

I think there's a bit of prudishness on your part Neil to be honest, but at least you're concerned about what the "nuggets" are viewing...but thinking about the films I'd watch as a kid, and then watching them back again as an adult, there's LOADS of stuff I never noticed or understood back in those days...sometimes it might even be something shown on screen that 'they' would never get away with these days, or something that I know think "blimey, that's a bit rough/scary/violent for a family film"...but to be honest, it's fine.

Heck, Jurassic Park - "that's one big pile of sh*t", the adult relationship jokes, the lawyer getting eaten off the bog.

I think kids are surprisingly resilient to the moving image, and if there's something they don't like or they're scared, they'll flat out tell you or run away or hide, so I think you'd be fine.

But "Transformers" is probably more aimed at the audience bassman was mentioning, it being a Michael Bay film...but then again, I don't see anything wrong with letting a kid see it...they won't understand that robot is essentially giving that guy a golden shower. :lol:

bassman
10-Jan-2008, 06:40 PM
Heh heh. The same happened with me and Ghostbusters. I wish I could have seen the look on my own face when I realized some of the adult jokes.:lol:

But seriously.....it's really up to the parent to decide if the child should see it. Like I said, my buddy let his youngins watch Tranformers. I probably wouldn't have....but it was his decision. And then on the other hand, just as MZ said, kids really won't notice the references. They'll most likely just stare at the screen in a daze and not even listen to the audio.:lol:

And Neil - Did you seriously not know how Transformers was going to be? I think the first official picture released for the film was of the girl bending over looking at Bumble Bee's engine.:rockbrow:

acealive1
10-Jan-2008, 06:41 PM
neil, they need a human story to make the transformers movie work. if it was just them fighting for 2 hours,it'd be boring. imagine all three matrix movies with no story line except them running from agents.

bassman
10-Jan-2008, 06:42 PM
neil, they need a human story to make the transformers movie work. if it was just them fighting for 2 hours,it'd be boring. imagine all three matrix movies with no story line except them running from agents.

Wasn't that the plot of the Matrix sequels?:confused:

Neil
10-Jan-2008, 07:30 PM

Human story doesn't should = cheap titilation... Quite the opposite infact...

ProfessorChaos
10-Jan-2008, 08:02 PM
While we're on the subject of parents letting their kids watch movies that may or may not be too violent/sexual/graphic/etc, I can't help but think of when I went to see Rob Zombie's Halloween and this ignorant woman had two kids with her, and neither could've been any older than eight years old. And it was probably less than eight minutes into the film when the lady was seen scampering her kids out of the theater, trying to hold her hands over their ears, carry their snacks, popcorn, sodas, all the while the kids were whining and crying (whether it was over their shock at the film or the fact they were being drug out, I don't know). I'm pretty sure she went and asked for her money back. Who takes kids too see R-rated films, particularly one such as Halloween, even more so, a Rob Zombie film? What a moron.

acealive1
10-Jan-2008, 08:15 PM
Human story doesn't should = cheap titilation... Quite the opposite infact...

but then it'd be just another homo erotic movie

clanglee
10-Jan-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm mixed on this subject. I was raised on horror movies as a kid. During the drive-in movie days. There would be the family friendly movie first, then a bloody horror movie or bloody action movie. I made sure to stay up for both, whenever possible. My parents, my Mom expecially, were very easygoing on the subject of Scary movies. Never had a problem accessing them, and my Mom loves horror movies so she would take my little sister and I to the movies with them when they couldn't get a sitter. Movies with sexual content were more taboo of course. I find myself acting the same towards my daughter. I will let her watch any action or scary movie she feels she can handle (Not at the theater of course. just in case she freaks) but I'm covering the eyes and ears during any sex scenes. It's just uncomforatable. I'd like to put off that "talk" for as long as possible.:confused:

SRP76
10-Jan-2008, 09:44 PM

No, the exact opposite. This movie can promote underage eye candy, but Megatron can't be a f*cking gun anymore.

This movie made my head spin on a lot of points, not just the sex. The movie sucked in comparison to the real thing.

Just one old, stuck-in-the-80s opinion.

AcesandEights
10-Jan-2008, 11:30 PM
If this movie had been just focused on bringing in children and parents I might agree with you, Neil. However, the film was clearly casting a very large net.

Terran
11-Jan-2008, 12:13 AM
see This Film is Not Yet Rated to learn more about the horrible system we use to rate movies here in America (not sure how similiar or how interelated it is to the UK system)

Though frequently humorous, This Film Is Not Yet Rated should be required viewing for serious film fans, because the MPAA doesn't just affect what gets seen--but what gets made.

MinionZombie
11-Jan-2008, 10:54 AM
Prof - bloody hell, what a flaming moron that woman is. :eek:

As you say - just...why?! :confused:

Neil
11-Jan-2008, 11:19 AM
but then it'd be just another homo erotic movie

No, it would be a film with some reasonable character building... ie: Some realisation that he likes her and some history/depth behind it, rather than the 'oh she's got nice norks, so I'd like to shag her' depth we saw here... It's just cheap and shows poor writing IMHO.

Graebel
11-Jan-2008, 05:33 PM
Or lets just get rid of the double standard. You at least got hot chicks while the women in the crowd got the metrosexual A-Team.

clanglee
12-Jan-2008, 03:45 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Metrosexual A-Team. I can't wait for the pilot episode. That's friggin great.

acealive1
12-Jan-2008, 03:56 AM
No, it would be a film with some reasonable character building... ie: Some realisation that he likes her and some history/depth behind it, rather than the 'oh she's got nice norks, so I'd like to shag her' depth we saw here... It's just cheap and shows poor writing IMHO.

yea. 300 million dollars worth of "bad writing"