View Full Version : Wanna lease Laurel's old office?

thxleo
11-Jan-2008, 12:29 AM
http://www.kgoldsmith.com/main.asp?id=2

247 Ft. Pitt blvd...only $600, plus electric! :thumbsup:

SymphonicX
12-Jan-2008, 10:07 PM
that equates to about £300 a month...I could afford that...!! maybe I could clone a mini romero from left over DNA....

Yojimbo
12-Jan-2008, 11:14 PM
Pretty cool! I wanna live there!

I had heard that they filmed the Mall Hideout sequences there and have been looking through the photos to see if anything matched. Has anyone figured out if this is featured?

DubiousComforts
13-Jan-2008, 01:48 AM
I had heard that they filmed the Mall Hideout sequences there and have been looking through the photos to see if anything matched. Has anyone figured out if this is featured?
The roof of this building served as the roof of the tenement building in Dawn. And while the elevator interiors were filmed in JC Penney, the elevator shaft was actually in this building, too. The basement of this building also doubled for the cellar in Night.

The mall hideout and the air duct were sets built at the Laurel office, so nothing in the photos will match. If I recall correctly, the Latent Image was on the fifth floor of this building, and the Laurel hq may have been the same, so the space being rented is probably not the Laurel offices.

Bob Wolcott and The Animators, who did the credit sequences for Night and Martin also had their offices in this building. Anyone know if Bob Wolcott is still around?

axlish
13-Jan-2008, 12:12 PM
The roof of this building served as the roof of the tenement building in Dawn. And while the elevator interiors were filmed in JC Penney, the elevator shaft was actually in this building, too. The basement of this building also doubled for the cellar in Night.

Correct. The stairwell that Martinez and his cohorts exit out of was also used in the trailer for Martin, it is the stairwell that he is sitting on while talking to the camera.

The mall hideout and the air duct were sets built at the Laurel office, so nothing in the photos will match. If I recall correctly, the Latent Image was on the fifth floor of this building, and the Laurel hq may have been the same, so the space being rented is probably not the Laurel offices.].?

I've heard folks say that the the loft scenes were filmed there, but from talking to other cast members, it was almost certainly not.
I keep hearing about some warehouse/historical district. Also, there is no skylight at the office that is anything close to the loft. Find the skylight, and find the loft set.

As for the air duct scenes, who knows.

thxleo
13-Jan-2008, 01:58 PM
If I recall correctly, the Latent Image was on the fifth floor of this building, and the Laurel hq may have been the same, so the space being rented is probably not the Laurel offices.

Laurel used more than just one floor. You can stand outside one of the entrances on Ft. Pitt blvd and see the name Laurel still on a door(at least you could 2 years ago). John Harrison created the soundtrack to "Day of the Dead" in that bottom floor office. In the book "The zombies that ate Pittsburgh", Paul Gagne writes in the chapter on Day of the Dead, "While Day of the Dead was being edited, John Harrison surrounded himself in a downstairs room at Laurel's Pittsburgh offices with synthesizers, a piano, and an electric drum machine and proceeded to compose the film's musical score." The advertisement says that it would be perfect for a photography or recording studio.

DubiousComforts
13-Jan-2008, 02:42 PM
I've heard folks say that the the loft scenes were filmed there, but from talking to other cast members, it was almost certainly not. I keep hearing about some warehouse/historical district. Also, there is no skylight at the office that is anything close to the loft. Find the skylight, and find the loft set. As for the air duct scenes, who knows.
On the LD & DVD commentaries, it's said that the hideout was filmed at the offices, but they also state that a warehouse was used for the interior helicopter scenes with grips uncovering lights to provide "poor man's process." So they definitely shot in a warehouse, it makes sense that the loft was constructed there.

It's also mentioned in the commentaries that when they're looking through the mall skylights, they're looking down into "nothing" and the actual hideout set didn't have a skylight. While that may be true, it still doesn't mean that the set was built at the Laurel office.

The air duct was said to be a single T-shaped set which they filmed from different angles in order to look vast. What's really intriguing is the shot from inside the duct that looks out into the elevator shaft. Gornick must have crammed himself into the real air duct within the elevator shaft to pull that off.

Laurel used more than just one floor. You can stand outside one of the entrances on Ft. Pitt blvd and see the name Laurel still on a door(at least you could 2 years ago). John Harrison created the soundtrack to "Day of the Dead" in that bottom floor office.
That's cool, they expanded over the years. I remember reading about when Savini was hired for Martin, he said the elevator opened right into George's office. For how long did Laurel occupy that space? Maybe SymphonicX has a shot at finding that DNA. :D

axlish
14-Jan-2008, 12:30 AM
It's also mentioned in the commentaries that when they're looking through the mall skylights, they're looking down into "nothing" and the actual hideout set didn't have a skylight. While that may be true, it still doesn't mean that the set was built at the Laurel office.

The Mall roof is where they used the fake skylight, to match the real skylight that was at the loft set. So think about it like this. In the ending scene, Peter climbs up the ladder (at the loft set), and out the fake skylight (at the mall). All of the zombies, lead by the sweater vest, follow Peter up the ladder (at the loft set) and then out the fake skylight (at the mall). All of those zombies must have been squatting down in that fake skylight, waiting to come out.

DubiousComforts
14-Jan-2008, 02:39 AM
The Mall roof is where they used the fake skylight, to match the real skylight that was at the loft set. So think about it like this. In the ending scene, Peter climbs up the ladder (at the loft set), and out the fake skylight (at the mall). All of the zombies, lead by the sweater vest, follow Peter up the ladder (at the loft set) and then out the fake skylight (at the mall). All of those zombies must have been squatting down in that fake skylight, waiting to come out.
Now I get it. I misunderstood the commentary; it seemed as though they were claiming there was no skylight at the loft set, just a dropped ceiling with a ladder leading to nothing.