PDA

View Full Version : Went on an HD-DVD buying binge this week.

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2008, 12:19 PM
I spent about $400 scooping up HD-DVD's this week. With the news that Warner went the way of the Blu I figured I might as well stock up on what I felt was the better format, especially since a lot of thte titles were dirt cheap since everyone is having a fire sale.

New additions:

Terminator 2 (French Import) Gotta love no region coding for HD-DVD
Resident Evil (Japanese Import)
Resident Evil: Apocalypse (German Import)
Full Metal Jacket
Smokey and The Bandit
Transformers
Pan's Labyrinth
Clerks II
Batman Begins
Constantine
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Cinderella Man
Hot Fuzz
The Big Lebowski
Flags of Our Fathers
Backdraft
Carlito's Way
The Bourne Saga
Blade Runner (Gift Set)

bassman
11-Jan-2008, 12:24 PM
Man...that's a lot of money. Especially for a format that's supposedly lost this whole war thnig. That's what I've been reading, anyway...

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't care if it did lose because they are making and selling duo format players so I might as well reap the benefits of cheap movies instead of paying full price for the inferior BR version.

I look at it as I am saving some cash, most of the films didn't cost me over $15.00 shipped. It was the imports that get pricey.

bassman
11-Jan-2008, 12:36 PM
How is Blu Ray inferior? I heard they're both the same. It can't be THAT inferior if it's winning....

capncnut
11-Jan-2008, 04:28 PM
It makes as much sense as rushing out and buying a load of Betamax tapes...

Danny
11-Jan-2008, 05:09 PM
im inclined to agree with the majority tard vote man, why run out and buy en masse a format wich has been recently declared to be the loser?

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2008, 05:49 PM
HD-DVD has features BR is still trying to implement.

PiP (Won't be available until Blu-Ray 2.0)
DTS-HDMA (not available on low end Blu-Ray players)

Like I said once Blu_ray has been declared the winner, these movies won't stop working. Plus a duo format player will play both HD-DVD and Blu-ray, and why pay $40 for the Transformers B-R when it comes out when I can get it for $15.00.

Most Blu-Rays still use MPeg2 as the main video encoder.

I still save money and still get to use the disc even if HD-DVD goes dead because of the duo format players. to me I am saving money.