PDA

View Full Version : Things no one mentions!!

SymphonicX
12-Jan-2008, 12:07 PM
Things no one on this board mentions....(as far as I know)

peter shooting the gun from Blades' hand....(just before "upstairs, c'mon...let's go....woooohoohoooo oh you mother!!") How did they do that??!

The "goofs" page for Dawn on IMDB - blank firing mechanisms on all the M16s? Untold weapons goofs in fact....and Roger refuels the 'copter wrongly?

John Amplas being in Day...john Amplas rules!!!

Savini's awesome bike stunt through the plate glass window in Dawn...

The awesome dive into the fountain that the fat zombie in Dawn does...amazing!!!

Romero kills the hare krishna....but lets the nun go?? Discuss!!

Yojimbo
12-Jan-2008, 11:02 PM

peter shooting the gun from Blades' hand....(just before "upstairs, c'mon...let's go....woooohoohoooo oh you mother!!") How did they do that??!

Was that a gun he shot out of Blade's hand? I always thought it was a walkie talkie. But then, I guess, if it was a walkie talkie then who's was it?

As far as the IMDB goofs page goes a lot of the info they pointed out, while entertaining, is not exactly correct. Example: I see no "blank adapters" on the M-16s, in spite of the assertion. Futhermore, the guns used in the film are not training models, but specifically .22 caliber M-16 type rifles built for collectors and enthusiasts.

I agree, though, that it is a bit funny that they kill the Krishna, but do not kill the Nun.

SRP76
13-Jan-2008, 04:54 AM
I always thought it was just because the Hare Krishna was in the hideout, about to eat Fran, while the nun was not an immediate threat.

Sometimes there isn't a "secret meaning".

SymphonicX
13-Jan-2008, 11:39 AM
If you watch the documntary on the DVD of Dawn, Gaylen Ross specifically points out that it was the intention to kill the nun but Romero refused to do it!

bd2999
13-Jan-2008, 02:27 PM
Why obsessed with the nun zombie living? I don't even remember seeing it except for after Fran let it go from the door and since they were taking care of all of them at that point I had guessed they just did not have time to show them all be destroyed.

Not sure if I remember that comment either. Really to me I wanted the nurse and a few of the others to go down. I don't really think it ment anything that specific. In his films Romero seems to view organized religon the same way he does the government. Not that religon is bad but that the groups have become corrypt.

SymphonicX
13-Jan-2008, 02:30 PM
Well he's a catholic apprently, from what I've heard he sounds quite devout but I've no doubt he casts his cynicism in the same direction of organised factions...I just found it interesting that he wrote the hare krishna zombie in and killed it off yet when it came to killing the nun which was also in the script he decided to let her go..! Anyway obsession is a bit of a strong word, its just a noteworthy point...

So was it a gun or a walkie talkie?

thxleo
13-Jan-2008, 02:38 PM

That was the seltzer bottle that he used to squirt zombies in the face with earlier. I assume they used a sling shot to break it, or a tiny charge.

dracenstein
13-Jan-2008, 03:24 PM
I thought it was a beer bottle!

Yojimbo
13-Jan-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I looked at the films (Euro and Cannes) again over the last weekend, and though I used to think that it was a walkie talkie, I still cannot reconcile who's it would have been since Peter never loses his and Stephen most certainly has his in the elevator sequence where he gets munched. So it is probably a seltzer bottle or beer bottle as had been said.

What is strange is I thought that Savini/Blades says a line to the effect of "Hey look at this" right before the "thing" in his hand explodes, though I didn't catch it as the Euro or Cannes cut I reviewed did not have this line. Maybe it is on the theatrical cut, or maybe I'm mistaken. So my question is, does anyone else recall this line being spoken, and if so, why would he be saying that if he was holding a seltzer or beer bottle?

SymphonicX
13-Jan-2008, 03:49 PM
Only time I can think of him saying that is with the comb/switch blade "you ever seen one of those?"

Hmm..I always thought it was a gun....

Yojimbo
13-Jan-2008, 06:26 PM
Why obsessed with the nun zombie living? I don't even remember seeing it except for after Fran let it go from the door and since they were taking care of all of them at that point I had guessed they just did not have time to show them all be destroyed.

Not sure if I remember that comment either. Really to me I wanted the nurse and a few of the others to go down. I don't really think it ment anything that specific. In his films Romero seems to view organized religon the same way he does the government. Not that religon is bad but that the groups have become corrypt.

I wouldn't say that anyone is obsessed with the nun not getting killed, but I had heard that Galen Ross wanted to shoot the nun and that Romero nixed it, saying that it was not acceptable to shoot a nun. So in that sense it is funny, since in Romero's mind it's ok to show the Krishna zombie getting dispatched, but would be unacceptable in the case of the nun.

Only time I can think of him saying that is with the comb/switch blade "you ever seen one of those?"

Hmm..I always thought it was a gun....

Funny thing is, I noticed that line (Blade's) for the first time last night when watching the euro cut. Love that cut for the extra lines and extended scenes!

SymphonicX
13-Jan-2008, 07:48 PM
Totally, I love the alternate takes too - some dodgy delivery of certain lines there, very interestnig!!

Yojimbo
13-Jan-2008, 08:03 PM
Totally, I love the alternate takes too - some dodgy delivery of certain lines there, very interestnig!!

Some of them don't work as well and I can see why Romero cut them, or used other takes, but overall it is really cool to see this whole new take on the film, soundtrack notwithstanding. Could Argento be any more heavyhanded with his use of the Goblin Soundtrack?

SymphonicX
13-Jan-2008, 08:04 PM
yeah totally, he really ramped it up for that...but the gunshots were much better....

Legion2213
13-Jan-2008, 08:24 PM
Could Argento be any more heavyhanded with his use of the Goblin Soundtrack?

No.

It was a bloody mess, very distracting IMO.

IRA_LCPL
13-Jan-2008, 08:57 PM
Being Catholic I understand no shooting th nun even though it is Just a movie it is a HORRID blasphemy of sorts. The whole Krishne thing I would have (if in thier position) Gone out of my way to shoot it cause they are so Damn annoying and also he was pretty F-ing ugly LOL

DubiousComforts
13-Jan-2008, 09:07 PM
Being Catholic I understand no shooting th nun even though it is Just a movie it is a HORRID blasphemy of sorts.
It simply made the film more interesting not to shoot the nun-zombie. For the same reason, Fran doesn't shoot the little league zombie, but I don't believe that any sort of deep statement was being made about amateur baseball.

Now the hare krishna zombie was being a pest, so it was mandatory that he be put down! :D

IRA_LCPL
13-Jan-2008, 09:30 PM
It simply made the film more interesting not to shoot the nun-zombie. For the same reason, Fran doesn't shoot the little league zombie, but I don't believe that any sort of deep statement was being made about amateur baseball.

Now the hare krishna zombie was being a pest, so it was mandatory that he be put down! :D

Pest like playing Tamborenes in the Airport???

LOL

SymphonicX
13-Jan-2008, 09:42 PM
leave 'em alone, they're actually pretty cool people really...kinda like a cross between Buddhists and Jehovas Witnesses...lol

DubiousComforts
13-Jan-2008, 09:45 PM
Pest like playing Tamborenes in the Airport???
Absolutely! The least he could have done was offer Fran a flower. :D

Ironically, the SNL parody of NIGHT called Night of the Moonies pre-dated DAWN by almost two years.

jim102016
13-Jan-2008, 10:54 PM

The "goofs" page for Dawn on IMDB - blank firing mechanisms on all the M16s? Untold weapons goofs in fact....and Roger refuels the 'copter wrongly?

The awesome dive into the fountain that the fat zombie in Dawn does...amazing!!!

Watched the movie a thousand times, never saw a gun get shot out of Blade's hand. I always thought Peter shot or shot close enough to make Blade drop the seltzer bottle they sprayed the bearded dead guy with a few minutes before.

DEAD BEAT
13-Jan-2008, 11:01 PM

Fuuck the hare krishna! christianity rules!!!

Get a real hair do!:D:moon:

Yojimbo
14-Jan-2008, 12:02 AM
leave 'em alone, they're actually pretty cool people really...kinda like a cross between Buddhists and Jehovas Witnesses...lol

They are nothing like the Buddhists, I've got to say.
Well, with the exception of the chanting and the unique clothing. :lol:

SymphonicX
15-Jan-2008, 02:09 PM
Fuuck the hare krishna! christianity rules!!!

Get a real hair do!:D:moon:

Xtian's are NOT known for their good hair, let me tell you!!!

Skippy911sc
15-Jan-2008, 03:43 PM
Didn't they kill them all...I mean they killed everyone in the mall they just didn't show it on screen.

IRA_LCPL
15-Jan-2008, 09:48 PM
In the Euro version it wa the Seltzer Bottle tha got shotYou hear glass shatter then see the glass on the floor and he has the Tap off the top in his hand for a second afterwards. They Probably shot it with an air rifle from off screen to break it and then Dubbed in some of those AWSOME gun shot SFX (dont get me wrongI LOVE dawn but the sound is Abissmal

Legion2213
16-Jan-2008, 03:14 AM
Didn't they kill them all...I mean they killed everyone in the mall they just didn't show it on screen.

She may have sneaked out at some stage....like "escalator zombie" did....he and "gun stealing zombie" have some serious luck, they escaped the mall masacre and the biker gang carnage.

Griff
16-Jan-2008, 06:45 AM
She may have sneaked out at some stage....like "escalator zombie" did....he and "gun stealing zombie" have some serious luck, they escaped the mall masacre and the biker gang carnage.

They had a really good hiding spot so they just laid low.

Infact, "gun stealing zombie" used to go for risky late-night shambles, when the noisy ones (as he liked to call them) weren't around, much to "escalator zombie"'s chagrin...

Then, once the mall was re-opened to the public and the bikers had left, they just blended in undetected with the rest of the zombs. They never did have to spend a night in the cold.

Ah, those were the days.

MikePizzoff
16-Jan-2008, 05:21 PM
That was the seltzer bottle that he used to squirt zombies in the face with earlier. I assume they used a sling shot to break it, or a tiny charge.

I find it odd that you and I are the only ones to realize that. I figured it was pretty obvious.

jim102016
16-Jan-2008, 09:29 PM
I find it odd that you and I are the only ones to realize that. I figured it was pretty obvious.

You're far from alone

IRA_LCPL
16-Jan-2008, 09:44 PM
yeah man read my last post