PDA

View Full Version : PS3 games in 720p??? Why??!

SymphonicX
12-Jan-2008, 01:56 PM
I dont' understand...why do games like Resistance: Fall of Man, and Unchartered: Drake's fortune run only in 720p? Isn't this supposed to be a next gen console? Why only go halfway to next gen when the console can clearly run in 1080i, 1080p etc? is this something the 360 also does but doesn't tell anyone? Someone explain to me because I'm very annoyed!!

CoinReturn
12-Jan-2008, 04:54 PM
Most next gen games are rendered in 720p, that's just the way it is. And honestly, the difference between 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are negligible. Would you rather have a game with worse graphics and unstable framerate, or a game that plays smooth, looks good, but is rendered at a bit lower resolution? Halo 3 is a great example. It's only 640p, but it looks great, is a constant 30fps, and has amazing lighting and physics. There are just some sacrifices that a developer has to make in order to get a game running smooth. Unless you're TV is 50+ inches, its tough to tell a difference between the 3. Just be happy you can enjoy your games in HD :)

SymphonicX
12-Jan-2008, 05:53 PM
my TV is 42 inches and I blatantly notice the difference...and you've just disheartened me!!! lol

Halo 3 is DODGY graphically....looks terrible in some places - case in point: Tsavo highway - just look at the grass....!! BOOOO

CoinReturn
12-Jan-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, but the lighting is insane, and the textures are really, really sharp. View a saved film, and watch in slow-mo how a plasma grenade lights up the ground and walls around it, or fire a rocket at at a vehicle and see how it explodes and tumbles like you'd expect it to. At first glance, it looks like Halo 2 HD, but when you take a closer look, its a very crisp and clean looking game.

The same can't be said for COD4. Black and brown are the dominant color scheme, and the textures are really blurry when you walk up to them. The object and body physics aren't nearly as complex, either. But, on the other hand, it runs at a rock solid 60 frames per second, which is quite an achievement with all that action.

Its up to the developers as to which route they want to take as far as resolution vs. graphical scheme.

Danny
12-Jan-2008, 06:35 PM
its true. i posted a pick on here from my legendary campaign a while back ,with a fuel rod cannon zooming past my ingame shoulder, its got a stream of flame, and a brute in the distance in light, whilst im in shadow, looks pretty dern' striking.

SymphonicX
12-Jan-2008, 06:45 PM
In all fairness, looking at anything in slo mo on a saved film in halo 3 is certainly very impressive indeed....seeing how many frames of action on an explosion is great...

so if I run a game in 1920 x 1080 on my pc, its running at that res right? Probs is with that I get a ****ty framerate!!!

PJoseph
14-Jan-2008, 04:18 PM
Hmm, that's a good question. I'll ask my producer and get back to you!

pJ