PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Books

millsaps05
16-Jan-2008, 08:28 PM
I was wondering which Zombie Novels and Comic collections you guys would recommend.

I have The Walking Dead books and World War Z. I was looking to find some more fiction and non-fiction written about Zombies / Zombie Apocalypse. I wanted to know what the fans of the genre would recommend.

Is the Autumn series good?

Thanks

SRP76
16-Jan-2008, 09:22 PM
I would recommend Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain, and Twilight of the Dead.

Monster Island and Monster Nation are also readable, but Monster Planet took a turn for the stupid in my opinion.

FoodFight
17-Jan-2008, 01:15 AM
So.....it's fiction you're wanting? http://www.permutedpress.com/uzbl/

clanglee
17-Jan-2008, 01:51 AM
I quite liked Dead Sea. The Book of the Dead by Skip and Spector is great. Cell, by Steven King starts out great.

Legion2213
17-Jan-2008, 02:10 AM
Day By Day: Armageddon.

I read the first chapter here...

http://www.tacticalunderground.us/

...and I was sold!

I ordered the actual novel before Christmas but it's still not shown up yet...I'm assuming that it's an import (to the UK) hoping it turns up soon. :(

MikePizzoff
17-Jan-2008, 03:15 AM
Reign Of The Dead
City Of The Dead
Cell
Zombie Survival Guide
The Rising

I know of more but can't think of them right now.

rightwing401
17-Jan-2008, 05:00 AM
If you're looking for action, I wouldn't recomend Autumn, or at least the first book in the series. The visualization and mood setting was astonishing, but aside from that, the rest of the book went really slow with next to nothing happening after the world dies and the dead rise.

Stay away from Xombies, it's only good until page 100, then it just gets really stupid and slow.

The Rising is very good. Very depressing situation with next to no hope set in the mood.

ProfessorChaos
17-Jan-2008, 05:03 AM
gotta say the dead anthologies by skipp and spector are the pinnacle of zombie fiction...or most of the stories, at least.

there's already been like 3 threads devoted to this topic, though, so check out the search feature.:thumbsup:

dannoofthedead
17-Jan-2008, 07:09 AM
so far as fiction goes, definitely world war z and the zombie survival guide.

non fiction i'd recommend the serpent and the rainbow by wade davis. its gives a pretty good insight into voodoo and "real" zombies and the religious/narcotic origins of the creatures.

wyvern1096
17-Jan-2008, 09:09 PM
The Night Boat by Robert McCammon.

sandrock74
17-Jan-2008, 11:24 PM
I would recommend the novelizations of the Resident Evil video games by S.D. Perry. If your a fan of the games, they make for great reads...lots of background info on characters and she does her best to explain stuff that may not have made too much sense in the games. Much zombie gore too!

bd2999
18-Jan-2008, 01:09 AM
The Rising is very good. Very depressing situation with next to no hope set in the mood

True, but considering the situations in the book there was not supposed to be. There was hope, but it is not where you expect it to come from. It was an interesting take on the zombies too. that and City of the Dead are two of the best books that I have read in a while to be honest.

clanglee
18-Jan-2008, 02:19 AM
Whew, Rising had too much of a cliff hanger ending for my tastes. City of the Dead was just plain depressing at the end. But, yeah, they were pretty good.

Shadowofthedead
18-Jan-2008, 06:53 AM
any body want the rising and city of the dead by brian keene and also zombie survival guide? if you pay the shippin they are yours. i think we should start something like this... someone reads a book and ships it to the next person and vise versa. any takers?

Craig
18-Jan-2008, 09:01 AM
Day by Day Armageddon, Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Strain and World War Z are my top three.

Fecunditatis
18-Jan-2008, 09:28 AM
This may be hard to find for most of you, but the book which inspired "Cemetery Man", Tiziano Sclavi's "DellaMorte DellAmore" is a masterpiece. Even weirder than the movie, by the way. Sclavi wrote some great living dead entries in his classic comic series, "Dylan Dog". Particularly, the very first issue ("L'alba dei morti viventi", which means "Dawn of the Dead"), "Orrore nero" (a crossover between "Cemetery Man" and "Dylan Dog") and "Morgana", one of the most fascinating comics I've ever read. Some of those were published by Dark Horse in the States, if I'm not mistaken.
Warning: it's not exactly "survivalist horror". If you have seen "Cemetery Man", I guess you know what I'm talking about.

capncnut
18-Jan-2008, 10:06 AM
I can recommend this. :)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n44/n220703.jpg

More info here (http://www.abaddonbooks.com/main.php).

dracenstein
19-Jan-2008, 03:57 PM
The above, The Words of their Roaring, and also in the range is Death Hulk.

The Morningstar Strain by Z A Recht.

Reign of the Dead by Len Barnhart.

Roses of Blood on Barbwire Vines by D L Snell, which also has the bonus of vampires in it.

The Night Boat by Robert R McCammon.

Monster Island & Monster Nation by David Wellington

and, of course,

Dawn of the Dead novelisation by George Romero & Susannah Sparrow.

Skippy911sc
19-Jan-2008, 06:00 PM
I just started world war z and can hardly put it down...it is Fantastic!!!

I would definitely recommend this book!!!Not that it hasn't been recommended b 4

DeadJonas190
20-Jan-2008, 04:44 AM
Besides all the books already mentioned, I enjoyed Return of the Living Dead, the original book not the movie novelization. The movie novelization is decent, it gives you a lot more back story into where the barrels come from and what happened, but the original book reminds me a lot of Night of the Living Dead and has a similar feeling to it as far as being trapped and the isolation.

By the way, here is a link to the original Dawn novel http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-of-the-Dead-HC-book-George-Romero-zombies-Argento_W0QQitemZ160199815877QQihZ006QQcategoryZ37 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

clanglee
22-Jan-2008, 03:51 AM
any body want the rising and city of the dead by brian keene and also zombie survival guide? if you pay the shippin they are yours. i think we should start something like this... someone reads a book and ships it to the next person and vise versa. any takers?

Sounds great, but I horde my books. Sorry.

sammylou
23-Jan-2008, 11:47 PM
A must read! It's awesome

Legion2213
25-Jan-2008, 10:05 AM
A must read! It's awesome

My copy has finally been mailed out to me...can't wait to get stuck into it after reading the first chapter online...sequel coming soon as well. :)

Danny
25-Jan-2008, 02:14 PM
autumn: if your looking for mindless gore look eslewere, this is about the people being isolated in an impossible situation.
highschool of the dead: a great zombie manga
black gas: from what ive read it was good.
world war z audio novel: the book doesnt do the tale nearly as much justice s this, actors like mark hamil shine in these roles, totally worth getting.
s.d perrys resident evil novels are fantastic, the ones by that bloke however should eb avoided like a bad fan fiction.

Legion2213
26-Jan-2008, 04:56 PM
Got my copy of "Day By Day Armageddon" this morning. :thumbsup:

I know what I'll be doing Sunday evening. :)

Staredge
27-Jan-2008, 02:43 AM
world war z audio novel: the book doesnt do the tale nearly as much justice s this, actors like mark hamil shine in these roles, totally worth getting.

For those of you with iTunes, you can download 10 or 11 chapters for free. Just look up World War Z in the podcasts.

Will

Eve of the Dead
27-Jan-2008, 04:52 AM
Check out Eve of the Dead by Nathan Tucker

capncnut
27-Jan-2008, 06:39 AM
Very sneaky... :D