PDA

View Full Version : proof that eddie van halen did not invent or introduce...

Mike70
18-Jan-2008, 02:46 AM
fretboard tapping into rock music. at about 3 mins 41 sec, steven hackett (one of the greatest guitar players ever) launches into an utterly hot, way ahead of its time solo that features fretboard tapping. this was 1972.

i am tired of hearing people go on and on about how eddie van halen (a great guitar player, don't get me wrong) invented this style of soloing. on another tip, the dude in diamonhead (can't remember his name just now and am too lazy to wiki it) was doing this at about the same time as eddie van halen.

oh and by the way this is what genesis used to sound like when peter gabriel and steven hackett were in the band- a far frakking cry from abacab.

W35wtfcByIY

axlish
18-Jan-2008, 04:03 AM
Not in the same fashion, but Jimi Hendrix used fret tapping as well.

To give Eddie some credit, I don't believe he ever stated that he was the originator. Lets get real, he probably started doing it before noticing anyone else doing it, and thus flipped it up and made it his own. Cheers. All others are blatantly copying Eddie's techinique of fret tapping. Also, Eddie is the only person in the world who can do a fret tap solo and get away with it ;)

DubiousComforts
18-Jan-2008, 04:51 AM
Many guitarists used tapping techniques before Eddie Van Halen (check out Frank Marino or Alan Holdsworth, for example), but that doesn't take away from all that he's accomplished as a musician. I'm not a Van Halen fan, but you have to give him a lot credit for pushing his own abilities into diverse areas. It's too bad the rest of Van Halen could never quite keep up with him.

Great quote in your signature, scipio. :thumbsup: