PDA

View Full Version : any other john cassavetes fans on here?

Mike70
18-Jan-2008, 03:35 AM
this guy was one of the greatest directors ever - period. he damn near single handedly invented independent film in america.

faces
the killing of a chinese bookie (best mob movie ever-frak the godfather)
shadows
a woman under the influence

are all complete masterpieces of american cinema and cinema in general.

capncnut
18-Jan-2008, 09:50 AM
Cassavetes is an all round talented mofo. Not only was he a great director but also a fine actor, especially in Rosemary's Baby, which is one of my all-time favourite films.

The only two movies I saw of his as a director, was A Woman Under The Influence and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and both were top efforts. I could wholeheartedly recommend Chinese Bookie to anyone here, Ben Gazzara was awesome as Vitelli. An overlooked gem as one might say. :cool:

Mike70
18-Jan-2008, 05:41 PM
Cassavetes is an all round talented mofo. Not only was he a great director but also a fine actor, especially in Rosemary's Baby, which is one of my all-time favourite films.

yeah boi!

rosemary's baby is not only maybe the greatest horror film ever it is also one of the greatest films ever of any genre. if there is a movie ending out there that can top rosemary's baby, i've yet to see it.

i have watched rosemary's baby on halloween night for like the last 20 years or so.

capncnut
18-Jan-2008, 10:54 PM
In Rosemary's Baby, Cassavetes is such a red herring to begin with because he seems so charming and likeable. Ruth Gordon is absolutely killer btw, it's easy to see why she won Best Supporting Actress for that role.

if there is a movie ending out there that can top rosemary's baby, i've yet to see it.
"Hail Adrian!" :evil: