PDA

View Full Version : What kind of home theater do you have?

DjfunkmasterG
19-Jan-2008, 04:27 AM
It seems home theater systems are growing and becoming the norm in most households. So my question is, what kind of toys do you view your DVD films on?

Are you rocking Just a TV and DVD player, or are you annoying your neighbors with 1000 watts of blood pumping nuclear brain damage?

My Specs are in my sig.

acealive1
19-Jan-2008, 05:57 AM
i have a 1,000 watt 5 disc panasonic system. it was very cheap to buy but it finally went out after about 10 years. gotta get a new one.

Chic Freak
19-Jan-2008, 08:43 AM
Big-ish telly + cheap "pirate's friend" DVD player (plays everything) and a bunch of different speakers collected from various stereos and computers all hooked up in a cool-sounding but probably fire-hazard sort of way :)

paulannett
19-Jan-2008, 09:03 AM
Sony Bravia 42 inch (maybe 52, I don't know/remember) LCD TV
5.1 surround surround
Sony DVD player
Sky +

axlish
19-Jan-2008, 04:36 PM
32" Tube HDTV Philips (will be getting a 46"-50" LCD in the next year or so)

Sony DVD Player (DVP NS715P) Progessive Scan connected via component to TV (would like something that upconverts, but will wait until next format, since those players upconvert) and connected via optical to audio

Magnavox DVD Player connected via S-Video to TV (used for PAL and other region discs) and connected to audio via coaxial

Pioneer CLD-D406 Laserdisc Player - connected to tv via composite, to audio via optical, plays DTS discs and auto-flips

Motorolla HD DVR Cable Box - connected to TV via HDMI, connected to audio via optical

Sony 7.1 system, 110 watts per channel, 12" sub 200 watts. 4 rears are all 5 1/4" with tweeters, two fronts are 8" w/ two smaller speakers on each, center speaker consists of two 5 1/4"' speakers.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I also have a Panasonic DVD recorder hooked up to the DVR box and the Laserdisc player. I also have a Toshiba pro-drum VCR that keep in the cabinet under the TV, onhooked.

SRP76
19-Jan-2008, 11:58 PM
I've got a 10-year-old mono-only TV with aluminum foil on the rabbit ears.

Legion2213
20-Jan-2008, 01:12 AM
Currently - 32 inch Sanyo TV and a Pioneer DVD player

Planning to buy a 42 inch HDTV & and an upscaling DVD player sometime this year...no desire for all the 5.1 surround gear.

Edit: Those 5.1 surround bars look unobtrussive, so I might be tempted to lay out for one of them at some stage.

Danny
20-Jan-2008, 12:13 PM
a 40 inch tv from the 90's, a perfect cube that weighs about the same as a full grown human and a £10 universal doov'de player from asda.
and all that extra cash that could have gone on big speakers and whatnot have actually gone on stuff to watch on it instead;)

bassman
21-Jan-2008, 01:39 PM
a 40 inch tv from the 90's, a perfect cube that weighs about the same as a full grown human and a £10 universal doov'de player from asda.
and all that extra cash that could have gone on big speakers and whatnot have actually gone on stuff to watch on it instead;)

:lol:

That's pretty much my setup. With the exception that I'm using a 500 dollar DVD player that was one of the first back in the nineties and a decent surround sound system. It's still the best compared to the other's i've bought since then.

I might eventually go to more of a home theater setup, but that will be when the price drops significantly.

Skippy911sc
21-Jan-2008, 04:24 PM
I done gots me a Sony 60 inch sxrd...

I watch discs on either my pioneer 300 disc dvd player or my xbox360...or I rip em onto my modded xbox...

I listen to them through a bitchen' Pioneer elite thx reciever with 7.1 output and 2 count 'em 2 power Subs...I used to shake the door knobs but since moving to the basement I just shake plaster free :)

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2008, 12:43 PM
Pioneer makes a 300 disc dvd changer?

Skippy911sc
22-Jan-2008, 12:57 PM
Pioneer makes a 300 disc dvd changer?

Yes...I think its the DV-F727

Neil
22-Jan-2008, 02:16 PM
As part of our new extention I treated myself to a thinner (Plasma) TV - the old 32" CRT was so deeeep - and also a new audio system as well:-
- TV: Panasonic TH37PX70
- DVD: Philips DVP5960 - upscales and also plays AVIs/DivX etc from USB
- Amp: Yamaha V461 - HDMI and USB connections
- Speakers: Mordaunt Short Avant Premieres
- Audio: And my favourite gizmo of all, a Squeezebox 3. All my CDs are played via this.

The main goal was to make is as subtle as possible. Hence me getting a 37" TV instead of anything bigger. That and it also tends to make standard def pictures look better than bigger ones :)

You can see most of it in this photo, except the amp which is sort of tucked in the cabinet behind the arm of the chair.

http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/41189/2002206224344800270_rs.jpg

You can just about see the Squeezebox on the middle shelf on the cupboard... So that little box allows me to play any of my music without any loss of audio quality :)

SymphonicX
22-Jan-2008, 02:32 PM
Ohh we're at the picture posting stage I see...I will just have to post a pic of mine when i can remember...

but until then, I'll leave you with the specs:

TV: 42" Philips LCD True1080p with 7500:1 contrast ratio
DVD: Either xbox 360 elite (soon to be re-adding the HDDVD add-on) ps3 for blu-ray playback and DVD upscaling
Sound: Pioneer 5.1 audio system (designed to look like xbox 360)
Other: MSI 51pv small form factor PC with Nvidia 8600gts and AMD 2.0ghz dual core processor connected optically to Pioneer system for 5.1 sound in games
Other 2: Sky HD connected optically to Pioneer system.

The whole thing lives between a set of two switchers - one for the HDMI ports as I only have 3x HDMI and actually need 4 (the SFF PC is connected via DVI-HDMI cable into my TV - looks amazing) and a 3 port optical switcher for the ps3, xbox, and PC with the Sky HD going into its own dedicated port on the surround sound.

Hafta say, I do love my set up - I get a great picture, superb sound and the PC is f**king sweet through that massive telly!!

vissionaerie
22-Jan-2008, 04:16 PM
unfortunately i can't tell you the specs because i'm in a truck halfway across the US

but i can tell you the names

i have 5-disc dvd player with the surround sound system

and i have an OYNKO i think that's how you spell it its a surround sound system too... my husband loves the bass he gets off of it ...he plays a lot of concert dvd's on it and i have to consantly turn it down when we're home

i also have 2 Sanyo 32in tv's that i got from walmart for 75$ a piece because the missed priced them...

my dad has one of those dvd Projectors which is my next goal....

Legion2213
23-Feb-2008, 09:41 PM
+++Thread necromancy alert!!!+++

Just got me a "Philips 42PFP5532D" 42" plasma TV - this motherf**ker is MASSIVE!

http://www.pricethat.com/images/extra/products/9822_f70_42PFP5532Dside.jpg

Savin' up for an upscalling DVD player now....I can't wait to throw some of my fave movies and things like Neo Battlestar Galactica on this puppy!

In the words of Frank Black "I am one happy prick!" :D

Kaos
23-Feb-2008, 10:55 PM
I have a Toshiba 57" 1080i HDTV, Toshiba A-2 HD-DVD Player, Sony PS3 (primarily for bluray), a Panasonic 5.1 Receiver. I used to have an Oppo DVD upconverting player. It was very nice for regular DVD's.

I am replacing the Toshiba TV with a 67" Samsung 1080P LED DLP HDTV in June.

Legion2213
23-Feb-2008, 11:32 PM
I am replacing the Toshiba TV with a 67" Samsung 1080P LED DLP HDTV in June.

Mate, that's fricken OBSCENE!!! - It'll take up half a goddam wall!!! :cool: