PDA

View Full Version : my best movie picks by genre...

Mike70
19-Jan-2008, 06:47 AM
horror - rosemary's baby. hands down. very few movies even come close to this one.

mob flicks- the killing of a chinese bookie. the godfather, goodfellas, etc. are nothing more than crappy, glossy hollywood fabrications compared to this gritty gem.

war movies - tied. the odd angry shot - this one is about australia's involvement in vietnam (yes there thousands of australians in vietnam and they were being drafted too). full metal jacket - has there ever been a movie that showed the degradation of the human condition both by the military (in the boot camp scenes, remember at this time hardly any of the folks were volunteers) and the actual condition of killing other people (the war in vietnam segment) better than this movie? don't really think so.

scifi - tough one here. but i am will go with the original 1950s version of "invasion of the body snatchers." the original version of "the thing from another world" rocks the house as well. "blade runner" would rank way up there on any list as well.

comedy - couldn't really care less about this genre of movie but i really love "galaxy quest" so there you go.

ancient world- hands down to the rome miniseries. i didn't give this to a movie because no movie in the history of film has come even close to this miniseries in portraying what life was really like for people in the ancient world. beleive this is one where i certainly know what i am talking about.

action - another genre that i feel is utterly vacant and not worth much consideration but i will make a choice and go with the road warrior here. serious sci-fi overtones here but still for me an action movie.

drama- pick an ingmar bergman movie as far as i am concerned. i will go with "winter light." "wild strawberries" and "autumn sonata" come in close seconds. bergman had more cinematic skill in his cuticles than 99.99% of other directors would possess had they three bodies.

cop/detective movies - cops all suck and should be hung. i don't care for and try not to watch anything that glorifies the police. that having been said there were some great detective flicks way back in the day. "the maltese falcon" and "the thin man" come to mind. but i'll give this one to the hammer version of "the hound of the baskervilles."

martial arts- "street fighter" starring sonny chiba. this film is one long, violent throwdown and is totally awesome for that reason. "18 fatal strikes" is a close second. if you have never seen this - find it. it is awesome.

Mutineer
19-Jan-2008, 05:05 PM
horror - Halloween

mob flicks - Goodfellas.

war movies - Apacalypse Now

scifi - Aliens

comedy - Young Frankenstein

ancient world- Lord of the Rings III

action - Die Hard

drama- Schindler's List

cop/detective movies - COP LAND

martial arts - Kill BIll V1

MikePizzoff
19-Jan-2008, 05:18 PM
horror - Dawn Of The Dead (duh)

mob flicks - Goodfellas or A Bronx Tale

war movies - I'd pick Band Of Brothers but that was a mini-series... so I'll go with Platoon.

scifi - I'm gonna say The Road Warrior is sci-fi enough.

comedy - Pee Wee's Big Adventure or Better Off Dead

ancient world - Uhhh... no clue, really. I guess Apocalypto.

action - The first 3 Die Hard's.

drama - Schindler's List

cop/detective movies - The Departed

martial arts - I don't watch these so... Mortal Kombat (haha).

CoinReturn
19-Jan-2008, 05:30 PM
Horror - Dawn of the Dead
Mob - Goodfellas
War - Full Metal Jacket
Sci Fi - Terminator 2
Comedy - Wet Hot American Summer
Ancient World - Rome (series)
Action - Hard Boiled
Drama - Shawshank Redemption
Cop/Detective - Infernal Affairs
Martial Arts - The Story of Ricky

Skippy911sc
19-Jan-2008, 06:10 PM
horror - Would love to say Dawn Of The Dead but I think the Exorcist scared me more

mob flicks - The God Father Trilogy...on LD

war movies - Saving Private Ryan... the first 15 minutes just captivated me

scifi - Star Wars Episode IV and New Hope

comedy - Blazing Saddles

ancient world - I though Apocalypto was fantastic however I would have to say Excaliber...I just love this flick

action - Aliens...I have to list that in this catagory because its non stop ACTION!!

drama - Citizen Kane...come on this is an American Classic

cop/detective movies - The Serpico

martial arts - The Killer...maybe not completely martial arts but still a great jon woo flick

Although I think a lot the the movies on your lists are Fantastic.

Danny
19-Jan-2008, 08:21 PM
horror - halloween
mob flicks - reservoir dogs
war movies - r-point
sci-fi - laputa: castle in the sky
comedy - borat or jackass number two
ancient world - braveheart
action - die hard
drama - some japanese flick i caught on bbc2 at 3am, a group of 4 girls in high school one lived in a shack with her poor grandparents and the shack collapsed on them, on of the other girls stole some money off her rich parents and they moved away for a better life, cant remember the name though.
cop movies - dragnet:D, or double indemnity
martial arts - jet li's the one

SoCalLoco
19-Jan-2008, 10:02 PM
Horror - Salem's Lot / An American Werewolf in London / The Return of the Living Dead

Crime/Mob - Scarface / Ice Harvest / The Mechanic

War - Kelly's Heroes / The Dirty Dozen

Sci-Fi - I Come in Peace / Alien / Phantasm / They Live

Comedy - Police Academy / Better off Dead / Can't Buy Me Love

Ancient - 300

Action - Commando / Silent Rage

Western - Unforgiven

Martial Arts - Enter the Ninja! Bitch!

SRP76
19-Jan-2008, 10:17 PM
horror - rosemary's baby. hands down. very few movies even come close to this one.

Now, I can say that I've officially heard it all....

capncnut
19-Jan-2008, 11:09 PM
Horror - Dawn of the Dead (1978 version, not the awful remake)

Mob flick - Performance (Not really a mob flick per se but there's gangsters in it)

War movie - Apocalypse Now (do I need to explain why?)

Sci-Fi - 2001: A Space Odyssey (either you get it or you don't, I most certainly get it)

Comedy - Wet Hot American Summer (this film had me in tears)

Ancient world - Flesh And Blood (maybe Verhoeven's best movie)

Action - Hard Boiled (Tequila time, baby!)

Drama - Irreversible (I came out of the theatre like a brick had been wrapped around my head)

Cop - Bad Lieutenant (everybody's favourite cop)

Martial arts - The Big Boss (such a bitch to choose so I went with my favourite Bruce Lee movie)

SRP76
19-Jan-2008, 11:19 PM
It's tough to stick most movies into just one area, so I'll just cheat.

Horror: Dawn of the Dead

Gangster: The Crew (cheat)

Gangsta: Menace II Society

War: Heartbreak Ridge (cheat)

SciFi: Alien

Comedy: Back to the Future

Ancient World: Conan the Barbarian (cheat)

Action: The Terminator (kind of cheat)

Drama: Rocky

Cop: Dirty Harry

Martial Arts: Kung Fu Hustle (cheat)

Western: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Animated: Transformers: The Movie