PDA

View Full Version : living out in the country...

Mike70
21-Jan-2008, 02:36 AM
so for the last 4 years i have lived in a small college town (where the wife teaches) that is way out in the boondocks (and way too frakking close to indiana but that is another subject entirely.) there is a joke out here that throws light on this it goes "all roads may lead to rome but only one of them (US 27) leads to oxford."

i will admit this at least oxford is a very nice place to live (can't believe i just wrote that) but anyway, really beautiful in fact but its remoteness is a bit of a bummer at times - if don't believe me google oxford, ohio - wait i'll save you the trouble http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Oxford,+OH,+United+States+of+America&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title. zoom this out a couple of steps and you'll understand my pain.
the high street is very, very cool (why is it that every college town in america seems to be centered around high street?) and crime here, except for what i would call adolescent idiocy/college hijinxs is pretty much non-existent.

BUT it is 35 miles at least to cincinnati and more like 50 miles to where my parents and old friends live and about 35 miles to dayton (which is a much cooler city than cincinnati could ever be in its wettest dreams- dayton is very, very left leaning while the rest of southwestern ohio is a bastion of conservative idiocy). the distance leads to me feel a bit isolated a lot of the time, since it takes about an hour (the speed limit on US 27 is only 45) to go and visit anyone and if it is the wrong time of year, say early spring or fall, your chances of being stuck behind some huge piece of farm equipment adds to this sense of being out in the middle of nowhere.

after growing up in the suburbs of cincinnati where everything you wanted or were interested in was right within about 10-15 mins, there are times i find this frustrating.

Shadowofthedead
21-Jan-2008, 02:53 AM
well excuse me for sayin but i live further in the country then you my friend and let me tell you i hate oxford. ive grown up around this **** hole my whole life. ive had to many jobs in oxford and know to many people... how come we havent met yet?

Mike70
21-Jan-2008, 03:05 AM
well excuse me for sayin but i live further in the country then you my friend and let me tell you i hate oxford. ive grown up around this **** hole my whole life. ive had to many jobs in oxford and know to many people... how come we havent met yet?

jesus h. christ in a chariot driven sidecar there is another person on here from oxford. i don't really care much for oxford either other than the fact that the high street looks nice and the aforementioned bit about crime. i think the fact that oxford calls itself "a city" when the population without the students is about 5,000-6,000 is one of the most laughable things on planet earth.

dude we need to burn a fat one or drink some alcohol sometime and talk about how much we hate oxford.

damn the fooking world really is a small place.

if you don't mind where are do you live? Camden, trenton, Eaton or someplace else? if you say Riley i might fall out of my chair.

SoCalLoco
21-Jan-2008, 03:07 AM
Cincinatti is a great town. I love King's Island. Ohio is the official home of the amusement park. Back in the 90s, there was nothing cooler than the Vortex at King's Island and the Demon Drop at Cedar Point.

I also used to goto Camden Park a lot too.

Chic Freak
21-Jan-2008, 07:37 AM
I feel your pain in living out in the middle of nowhere, it's f-cking sh-t :dead:

Skippy911sc
22-Jan-2008, 06:15 PM
I really like living in the middle of nowhere...I can walk out my front door and shoot my gun and it is no big deal. I drive to visit the neighbors on a 4-wheeler or UTV...unless its cold...then I take the car. No people to bother you...and it is quiet and you can see the stars at night.

acealive1
22-Jan-2008, 06:22 PM
so for the last 4 years i have lived in a small college town (where the wife teaches) that is way out in the boondocks (and way too frakking close to indiana but that is another subject entirely.) there is a joke out here that throws light on this it goes "all roads may lead to rome but only one of them (US 27) leads to oxford."

i will admit this at least oxford is a very nice place to live (can't believe i just wrote that) but anyway, really beautiful in fact but its remoteness is a bit of a bummer at times - if don't believe me google oxford, ohio - wait i'll save you the trouble http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Oxford,+OH,+United+States+of+America&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title. zoom this out a couple of steps and you'll understand my pain.
the high street is very, very cool (why is it that every college town in america seems to be centered around high street?) and crime here, except for what i would call adolescent idiocy/college hijinxs is pretty much non-existent.

BUT it is 35 miles at least to cincinnati and more like 50 miles to where my parents and old friends live and about 35 miles to dayton (which is a much cooler city than cincinnati could ever be in its wettest dreams- dayton is very, very left leaning while the rest of southwestern ohio is a bastion of conservative idiocy). the distance leads to me feel a bit isolated a lot of the time, since it takes about an hour (the speed limit on US 27 is only 45) to go and visit anyone and if it is the wrong time of year, say early spring or fall, your chances of being stuck behind some huge piece of farm equipment adds to this sense of being out in the middle of nowhere.

after growing up in the suburbs of cincinnati where everything you wanted or were interested in was right within about 10-15 mins, there are times i find this frustrating.

tell the wife to trasnfer to toledo,we'll have beer and all that, more to do up this way also

Mike70
22-Jan-2008, 06:41 PM
tell the wife to trasnfer to toledo,we'll have beer and all that, more to do up this way also

:lol: plus it would cut our drive to go visit her parents in london in half.:D

acealive1
22-Jan-2008, 06:54 PM
:lol: plus it would cut our drive to go visit her parents in london in half.:D

BRILLIANT!! cmon it'd be nice. we got FOUR wal marts :lol::lol:

MinionZombie
22-Jan-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't exactly live in the hills with the eyes, but well ... I live in a village a couple of miles outside of town ... which is half an hour from the nearest city on a good traffic day.

I like the quiet, the lack of townies and chavs, the ability to see stars at night and well...it's just nice.

I don't like the spiders in the summer though, that sucks.

Mike70
22-Jan-2008, 07:29 PM
I like the quiet, the lack of townies and chavs, the ability to see stars at night and well...it's just nice.

most of the younger townies (if you don't know this term it is used by university folks-students/faculty and their families in college towns to refer to the locals) in oxford are totally chavtastic and trying to pretend they live in the over-the-rhine section of cincinnati rather than out in the country.

please don't take offense shadowofthedead, i know you grew up in oxford.

SoCalLoco
22-Jan-2008, 07:31 PM
Ohio isn't necessarily country. I lived there for three years. It's the home of the rollercoaster and birthplace of David Allan Coe. It's kinda country, kinda urban.

Country is Wyoming. It's so rural there isn't any speed limit there on state roads. I moved around a lot and have lived in eleven different states and went to six different schools in my life. Ohio certainly isn't the boonies. It's a typical "rust belt" state.

No matter where you live in Ohio, you're within an hour of a city, whether it's Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo or Cincinatti.

I'll take "country" over where I live at now. It has a 5 to 1 latino to white ratio and about a 2 or 3 to 1 black to white ratio. And people say whites are the majority. Gimme a break. I'm just waiting when affirmative action applies to white males.

Mike70
22-Jan-2008, 07:37 PM
true socal but when you have grown up in a city and lived in one for most of your life lots of places feel like they are out in the boondocks.

mista_mo
22-Jan-2008, 07:43 PM
I remember visiting nova scotia back when i was 12 or so. I was visiting my step dad, and took the ferry from new brunswick. He lived way out, nearest neighbour was a short drive (read drive) away. It was beautiful, easily the most beautiful place i've ever been. The night sky had so many stars, something i'm not really used to seeing. WE drove out to the beach, and i saw the shoreline to the Atlantic ocean, and by God, it was wonderful. Nothing but water to see, and, i thought that if I stared hard enough, I could make out anouther land mass lol.

How I miss those days.

wyvern1096
22-Jan-2008, 09:02 PM
It's all relative. I've moved a similar distance away from Louisville, KY (into S. Indiana) and actually like being the heck away from the city. I still work there, and if I need anything specific it's only like 30-40 minute drive. I've lived in the south for years so being "up north" seems odd, but I've gotten used to it.

As far as isolation goes, I've lived in backwoods Alabama and the middle of nowhere in Nevada. It has its perks and its downsides.
If someone was creeping around a neighbor's house where I used to live in Alabama they would be met with a 12 gauge and a question. When I was in Louisville someone stole a bunch of stuff out of our garage. One of our neighbors saw it but didn't call the police because "it wasn't her business".
But, I was driving 65 miles one way to work in Birmingham--nothing in my immediate area paid decent wages. The closest gas station was 5 miles, the nearest hospital was 25, etc.

ProfessorChaos
22-Jan-2008, 09:19 PM
i much prefer the rural life compared to the hustle and bustle of larger urban areas. i don't like where i live now, as there are too many shopping centers, traffic signals, imbeciles, and not enough fields, trees, etc.