PDA

View Full Version : Superbad

Neil
21-Jan-2008, 08:40 AM
What a let down :(

Was enjoyable in parts, but so many bits just felt like they were ad libbing with dialog just wondered around.

Found the last half basically just dull to be honest...

Danny
21-Jan-2008, 09:20 AM
are you schnerious?!?:stunned:

that was the funniest film ive seen in years, sure those two protagonists sucked but the cops made that movie from start to finish.

Neil
21-Jan-2008, 09:22 AM
are you schnerious?!?:stunned:

that was the funniest film ive seen in years, sure those two protagonists sucked but the cops made that movie from start to finish.

I just found the second half slow and dull TBH :( Much of the dialog sort of felt like an improv session...

I much prefered Harold & Kumar :)

Danny
21-Jan-2008, 09:28 AM
I just found the second half slow and dull TBH :( Much of the dialog sort of felt like an improv session...

I much prefered Harold & Kumar :)

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2008, 11:17 AM
I'll join you with the full stop onslaught...

You what, Neil?!

Evidently you were designed for Superbad then ... perhaps a smidge old for it, not quite in the right generation for it? Not calling you an old fart, but I duno, I get the impression that Superbad is kind of an 'under 30's' thing.

The Apatow-related films are ensemble cast films, and they're very much about ad-libbing and freedom with the lines.

There was definitely a lot of talk and build up about it, which is a problem - you're best ignoring that or leaving it a while until that dies down and then watch it on your own terms.

I thought Jonah Hill was f*cking hilarious.

Neil
21-Jan-2008, 11:28 AM
I thought Jonah Hill was f*cking hilarious.

Yes, there was some great dialog in places, but a lot of other places just seemed to meander around. That or I'm old!

I really did have to fight to stop just ejecting the DVD about 3/4 way thru I was getting so bored...

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2008, 12:00 PM
In that case, you're too old for this movie. :D

Out of interest, what did you make of 40 Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up?

Neil
21-Jan-2008, 12:04 PM
In that case, you're too old for this movie. :D

Out of interest, what did you make of 40 Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up?

Must be the case...

Not seen them...

It's interesting, over at IMDB, page after page of reviews say people were disappointed with it... Yet, people rate it as the best comedy in 10yrs... Maybe there's two version of this film!

What did you think of Harold and Kumar?

ProfessorChaos
21-Jan-2008, 12:19 PM
i liked harold and kumar up until they got on the cheetah. after that, i finished the film and haven't watched it since. overall, it had some good stuff, but that cheetah bit was soooo retarded it ruined the entire movie.

i enjoyed superbad, and can't wait for pineapple express!:thumbsup:

Danny
21-Jan-2008, 01:05 PM
ive yet to see them but knocked up looks funny adn its had no negative reviews to my knowledge, but superbad easily outdid competitors like hot fuzz for comedy of '07, like i said the cops ("warp speed, enage!") stole it for me but the "what ,like a man dick?" scene was genius.

"YOU JUST COCK-BLOCKED MCLOVIN'!":lol:

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2008, 05:50 PM
"YOU JUST COCK-BLOCKED MCLOVIN'!"

You just can't say "cock block" without smirking, it's just too funny a phrase.

Anyway, hell yeah for Pineapple Express.

Hard & Kumar, I enjoyed it, but it was overly daft - although that was the point - it's far from a quality stoner movie though to be honest, and it doesn't have any heart - unlike the Apatow-blessed films of recent years, which are heart-felt and contain the funniest genitalia jokes out there (aside from Kevin Smith, of course).

H&K had some moments I rather enjoyed, the scene in the toilets with all the OTT sharting, but I've seen that done funnier elsewhere. I liked the stuff best when they're just hanging around, and I wanted their friends (also a double-team of stoners) to be involved more...at times they seemed funnier than the eponymous leads.

It was alright, decent, not a load of sh*te, but not great either. Very throw away I thought - but no heart, nor the greatest potty mouth.

Knocked Up - I probably liked 40YOVirgin more, but Knocked Up is still just as good. I prefered the extended cut because there was more of Rogen's character's mates in it, but it was still rather funny and full of heart...and it had the balls (in the unrated version that is) to show a baby's head coming out of a vagina ... something I haven't seen since Year 7 biology class. *goes a bit wobbly*

*deep breath...thinks about STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl* okaaaaay...fine again. :D

Neil
21-Jan-2008, 06:03 PM
You just can't say "cock block" without smirking, it's just too funny a phrase.

Hard & Kumar, I enjoyed it, but it was overly daft - although that was the point - it's far from a quality stoner movie though to be honest, and it doesn't have any heart - unlike the Apatow-blessed films of recent years, which are heart-felt and contain the funniest genitalia jokes out there (aside from Kevin Smith, of course).

H&K had some moments I rather enjoyed, the scene in the toilets with all the OTT sharting, but I've seen that done funnier elsewhere. I liked the stuff best when they're just hanging around, and I wanted their friends (also a double-team of stoners) to be involved more...at times they seemed funnier than the eponymous leads.

It was alright, decent, not a load of sh*te, but not great either. Very throw away I thought - but no heart, nor the greatest potty mouth.

Knocked Up - I probably liked 40YOVirgin more, but Knocked Up is still just as good. I prefered the extended cut because there was more of Rogen's character's mates in it, but it was still rather funny and full of heart...and it had the balls (in the unrated version that is) to show a baby's head coming out of a vagina ... something I haven't seen since Year 7 biology class. *goes a bit wobbly*

*deep breath...thinks about STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl* okaaaaay...fine again. :D

Well, I couldn't watch a good portion of Superbad again... It just dragged too much for me... The first 3rd was good fun, but it just seemed to get lost then...

MikePizzoff
21-Jan-2008, 06:08 PM
You're crazy, I thought Superbad was quite possibly the funniest movie since the 80's.

I had never seen an audience react to a movie like when I saw that; the entire place was erupting in genuine hysterical laughter every like 30 seconds... so much that they had to turn up the sound in the theatre after about 5 minutes.

SoCalLoco
21-Jan-2008, 06:57 PM
I'll join you with the full stop onslaught...

You what, Neil?!

Evidently you were designed for Superbad then ... perhaps a smidge old for it, not quite in the right generation for it? Not calling you an old fart, but I duno, I get the impression that Superbad is kind of an 'under 30's' thing.

:lol:

Neil
21-Jan-2008, 08:08 PM
You're crazy, I thought Superbad was quite possibly the funniest movie since the 80's.

I had never seen an audience react to a movie like when I saw that; the entire place was erupting in genuine hysterical laughter every like 30 seconds... so much that they had to turn up the sound in the theatre after about 5 minutes.

I'll watch it again... Maybe it just caught me at a really bad moment...

As a reference, I'd gladly watch Team America World Police a dozen times before going back to Superbad :)

slickwilly13
21-Jan-2008, 08:13 PM
Did you watch it sober? That might be the problem. *L*

MikePizzoff
21-Jan-2008, 10:34 PM
As a reference, I'd gladly watch Team America World Police a dozen times before going back to Superbad :)

Well then that could be the problem; we have different sense of humor. I didn't really like Team America at all... in fact it kind of annoyed me.

Neil
22-Jan-2008, 09:19 AM
Well then that could be the problem; we have different sense of humor. I didn't really like Team America at all... in fact it kind of annoyed me.

I LMAO at Team America (& South Park)! The Team America sex scene is quite possible the most I've ever laughed at anything!

Try not to smile at these Team America quotes:-

Spottswoode: Remember, there is no "I" in "Team America".
Intelligence: [pause] Yes, there is.

Gary Johnston: Jesus, this is a nice limo.
Spottswoode: Yes, it is. Now suck my cock.

Spottswoode: From what I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.N.C.E has gathered, it would be 9/11 times 100.
Gary Johnston: 9/11 times a hundred? Jesus, that's...
Spottswoode: Yes, 91,100.
Chris: Basically, all the worst parts of the bible.

Kim Jong Il: You are worthress, Arec Barrwin!

Gary Johnston: I promise.
Gary Johnston: I will never die.

Joe: Your plan will fail! You'll never keep the world leaders distracted here for 9 hours!
Kim Jong Il: Oh no? I've got Arec Barrwin!
Joe: Dear God!

Chris: [not moving] I was nineteen years old when the musical Cats came to our town.
[Gary stops and listens]
Chris: I couldn't wait to see it. After the show I was asked if I wanted to go meet some of the performers backstage. Man, I was thrilled. But when I got back there, they were drunk and out of control. Rumpus Cat and Macavity kept feeling up my leg. I tried to leave, but, Rumpleteazer held me down, and... I was raped by Mr. Mistoffelees.

Chris: Let's get one thing straight, actor. I don't trust you. And if you betray us, I'll rip your ****ing balls off and stuff them up your ass so that the next time you ****, you'll **** all over your balls, got it?
Gary Johnston: What's your problem with me?
Chris: Yeah, you wanna go?
Joe: Guys, guys, guys! Don't you see this is just what the terrorists want us to do? The war is out there, man! Out there! Now, pull it together!

Kim Jong Il: Now you see, the changing of the worrd is inevitabre!
Lisa: I'm sorry, it's what?
Kim Jong Il: Inevit, inevitabre.
Lisa: One more time.
Kim Jong Il: [shouts] Inevitabre! Things are inevitabrey going to change!
Goddamnit, open your ****ing ears!

Gary Johnston: OK, a limosine that can fly. Now I have seen everything.
Spottswoode: Really? Have you seen a man eat his own head?
Gary Johnston: No.
Spottswoode: So then, you haven't seen everything.

Chris: I'll drill two holes through your dick so that when you pee it shoots out in all different directions.

Guy in Bar: See, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to **** all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes, Chuck. And all the assholes want us to **** all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get ****ed by dicks. But dicks also **** assholes, Chuck. And if they didn't **** the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in ****!

Spottswoode: Attention. Attention, everyone. All you in the audience should go to your homes now. Your countries need you, but the world will be safe, thanks to a brilliant actor named Gary Johnston.
[Crowd applauses as Gary kisses Lisa]
Spottswoode: Let me explain to you the kind of man Gary is. He's a man who knows that when you put another man's cock in your mouth, you make a pact. A bond that cannot be broken. He's a man so dedicated that he will get down on his knees and put that cock right in his mouth.

Kim Jong Il: It will be 911 times 2356.
Chris: My God, that's... I don't even know what that is!
Kim Jong Il: Nobody does!

Joe: ****! I've got five terrorists going southeast on Bakalakadaka Street!

Matt Damon: MATT DAMON!

Danny
22-Jan-2008, 09:59 AM
i didnt grin...till the matt damon one, team americas TOO retarded i watche dit ..twice i think then had no desire for a rerun.
superbad however i bought yesterday and it was still a riot.

MinionZombie
22-Jan-2008, 10:21 AM
*sigh* laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame...Team America was AWESOME!

And I loved Superbad.

Team America was superb, still is. Have you seen the unrated version of the sex scene, Neil? Apparently they filmed stuff they never wanted to include anyway, just so they had something to cut out because they knew the MPAA would be asses over that scene - it's funny, but gross ... but yeah, it's pretty funny ... but the normal version of the sex scene is funnier I think.

Jeremy Clarkson referenced Team America on Top Gear a while ago, when he was driving the Caparo T1 saying he'd do the Team America sign for help or whatever if it all went wrong - which of course is panicked flailing of your arms. :lol:

DERKA DERKA! MUHAMMED JIHAD!! :lol:

Neil
22-Jan-2008, 10:22 AM
*sigh* laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame...Team America was AWESOME!

And I loved Superbad.

Team America was superb, still is. Have you seen the unrated version of the sex scene, Neil? Apparently they filmed stuff they never wanted to include anyway, just so they had something to cut out because they knew the MPAA would be asses over that scene - it's funny, but gross ... but yeah, it's pretty funny ... but the normal version of the sex scene is funnier I think.

DERKA DERKA! MUHAMMED JIHAD!! :lol:

Oh yes :)

M..A..T..T....D..A..M..O..N..!

Let's get one thing straight, actor. I don't trust you. And if you betray us, I'll rip your ****ing balls off and stuff them up your ass so that the next time you ****, you'll **** all over your balls, got it?

mista_mo
22-Jan-2008, 10:27 AM
super bad was pretty much the worst movie i've seen. I don't understand why people think it's funny...

it's better then that bs that's american pie however, jesus christ, why do people like ****ty movies?

Team America, on the other hand, is classic.

Neil
22-Jan-2008, 10:45 AM
super bad was pretty much the worst movie i've seen. I don't understand why people think it's funny...

it's better then that bs that's american pie however, jesus christ, why do people like ****ty movies?

Team America, on the other hand, is classic.

Some what harsh I feel... I really like some part of it (mainly in the first third), but as I said. I just felt there were large portions of it that just felt a bit 'lost'. As such I had to fight to stop myself ejecting the DVD and giving up in the latter half/third...

Gary Johnston: OK, a limosine that can fly. Now I have seen everything.
Spottswoode: Really? Have you seen a man eat his own head?
Gary Johnston: No.
Spottswoode: So then, you haven't seen everything.

EDIT: Oh and the puke scene - LMAO!!

MinionZombie
22-Jan-2008, 05:32 PM
Neil - exactly, the dialogue in Team America is just hilarious, random things you'd never think of, such as the "own head" thing, which was supoib.

Also, the bit where one says to Gary that he'll poke two holes in his dick so that when he pees, it shoots out in all different directions. :lol:

Parker & Stone are comedy writing geniuses.

And Superbad is still awesome. McLOVIN!!!!!!!! :cool:

acealive1
22-Jan-2008, 05:58 PM
saw it saturday,not bad

clanglee
22-Jan-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah I have to say Superbad was pretty awesome. Funniest movie I've seen in a while. But I did notice one little thing, There was some sort generational( i don't wanna say gap, makes me way too old) fissure (sounds skinnier) that kept the movie from being as funny as it could have been. One of the first movies that I have ever noticed it on. A lot of stuff I saw how it WAS funny, but it just didn't knock me on my ass like it would have years ago. Maybe it's the lack of Pot in my system now. Maybe the more grey hair I get the less funny things seem, I dunno.

one more thing. . . .

"America. . . F*ck Yeah!!"

bassman
13-Feb-2008, 12:08 PM

Not sure how long it will be up, but here is a red band trailer for Pineapple Expresss. It's a red band, so that means it's NSFW, folks...

gWJGaga0sxI&rel=1

acealive1
13-Feb-2008, 03:32 PM
let down for sure, AGREED

not bad

but still a let down. maybe i thought this would be not just another teen movie,but i was wrong. same formula for the last 30 years

Danny
13-Feb-2008, 04:12 PM
Not sure how long it will be up, but here is a red band trailer for Pineapple Expresss. It's a red band, so that means it's NSFW, folks...

gWJGaga0sxI&rel=1

ive yet to see a seth rogan flick that sucked so im sold on this one allready.

MikePizzoff
13-Feb-2008, 05:01 PM

gWJGaga0sxI&rel=1

Looks pretty good.

Danny
14-Feb-2008, 06:29 PM
since the trailers been taken down (boo ala hiss) i googled it adn found a 5 minute scene form the flick: http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=908&item=0

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2008, 06:53 PM
Is that the scene with Rogen and thingamy from Spider-Man? If so, it was on the Superbad DVD, rather ruddy funny.

Gonna see if I can track down that trailer elsewhere...

ProfessorChaos
15-Feb-2008, 05:33 AM
"wow...so this is the product of baby fu(kin;...":lol::lol::lol:

seth rogen is the man...easily the funniest dude in movies in the last decade.

can't wait for this one.

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2008, 10:02 AM
I watched that 5 minute preview scene again on the Superbad DVD, funny sh*t alright. But damn, can't find the trailer anywhere. :(