PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger found dead in apartment...

MikePizzoff
22-Jan-2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/22/heath.ledger.dead/index.html

Jesus, he was so young. Brad Renfro last week now Heath Ledger.

kidgloves
22-Jan-2008, 09:07 PM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/

kidgloves
22-Jan-2008, 09:10 PM
Snap.
Shocking news :(:(:(

Mike70
22-Jan-2008, 09:18 PM
the new york post is reporting this as well:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01222008/news/regionalnews/heath_ledger_dead_916418.htm

and so are ABC, the CBC, and MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22788914/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/23/2144369.htm

so i guess this is for real.

from an apparent drug overdose. surprise. surprise.

Moon Knight
22-Jan-2008, 09:23 PM
He was gonna blow up big after The Dark Knight. sad news.

Mike70
22-Jan-2008, 09:25 PM
looks like a drug overdose. damn too bad.

bassman
22-Jan-2008, 09:26 PM
No way, dude. That sucks.

This may sound kinda rude....but he still had to be The Joker in the third batman movie.:(

Good actor. He'll be missed.

acealive1
22-Jan-2008, 09:27 PM
well,looks like they have to get a new villain for the third batman film :(:(

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2008, 09:33 PM
Is the Dark Knight in full Post production, meaning no re-shoots needed? This is sad news. I have been a fan of heaths for years, I still watch A Knight's Tale at least once a month.

slickwilly13
22-Jan-2008, 09:35 PM
I saw it on the news while at the bank just a few minutes ago. Some people just can't handle it.

CoinReturn
22-Jan-2008, 09:45 PM
Unbelievable. I think his role as the Joker will be legendary. RIP.

ProfessorChaos
22-Jan-2008, 09:50 PM
*shocked*

i gotta agree, his role as the joker would have been a defining moment in his career, and given his acting abilities, i'm confident he would've been on of the greatest actors of his generation.

such a loss.

i know this sounds horrible, but i'm glad that they were done with the filming of the new batman flick, so we won't have another brandon lee-type incident, a la crow.

slickwilly13
22-Jan-2008, 10:03 PM
The Crow kicked ass, too bad the sequels sucked.

mista_mo
22-Jan-2008, 10:07 PM
so wait.

he's dead

but Britney spears is still alive? Why would God let such an event happen?
seriusly, she's useless, and I liked Heath.

clanglee
22-Jan-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, just read about this. He was a really phenominal actor, its a real shame. At least he finished Batman first.

3pidemiC
22-Jan-2008, 10:46 PM
Terrible news. And TDK comes out next month(?) so I'm pretty sure that everything is finished with it.

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2008, 11:59 PM
its been a couple hours now since the news broke and I sat there watching A Knight's Tale as a last Hurrah in memory of Heath, and when it was over I still couldn't believe he is dead.

Such a shame. He is truly going to be missed by this avid movie fan. :(

bassman
23-Jan-2008, 12:09 AM
Terrible news. And TDK comes out next month(?) so I'm pretty sure that everything is finished with it.

July 18th

kortick
23-Jan-2008, 12:40 AM
Hmm wonder what drug it was?

same one as Brad Renfro?

Such a shame too, cuz I read an interview with him
in rolling stone and he was a real cool guy
very humble and seemed like he was ok with
the whole crazy lifestyle.

R.I.P. Heath

Its always the ones you least expect
when you least expect it.

Mike70
23-Jan-2008, 12:48 AM
Hmm wonder what drug it was?

same one as Brad Renfro?

i've heard scuttlebutt about brad renfro that the coroner is of the opinion that it was a lethal combination of xanax and alcohol (that'll certainly get it done) that killed him. i don't know what the M.E. is basing this on though -most likely evidence found at the scene, just like in heath ledger's case.

MaximusIncredulous
23-Jan-2008, 02:28 AM
A shame. Heath was a very good actor with a great deal of potential. He was the only thing that made A Knight's tale worth watching.

ProfessorChaos
23-Jan-2008, 02:41 AM
i gotta agree with mo on this one....how is it possible that in a world of worthless imbeciles (chris crocker, brittney spears, danny bonaduce, etc) one of the finest actors under 30 is the one to die...there's like two dozen celebs who this should've happened to...:(

Mike70
23-Jan-2008, 02:43 AM
i gotta agree with mo on this one....how is it possible that in a world of worthless imbeciles (chris crocker, brittney spears, danny bonaduce, etc) one of the finest actors under 30 is the one to die...there's like two dozen celebs who this should've happened to...:(

you forgot amy winehouse in your list- she is certainly on a fast spiral to overdose/suicide.

Terran
23-Jan-2008, 03:34 AM
He was the only thing that made A Knight's tale worth watching.

Was that sarcasm.....?

If I was handed a million dollars for watching that movie this is what I would say right afterwards.....

"Wow that was awsome!!! I just got a million bucks!....though its a shame that the movie sucked so bad"

Nonetheless its a shame he died....he was a capable and talented actor....(but that doesnt make Knights Tale anywhere close to watchable:barf:)

MoonSylver
23-Jan-2008, 05:02 AM
i've heard scuttlebutt about brad renfro that the coroner is of the opinion that it was a lethal combination of xanax and alcohol (that'll certainly get it done) that killed him. i don't know what the M.E. is basing this on though -most likely evidence found at the scene, just like in heath ledger's case.

Just read in a crawler in TV that police believe drugs may have played a role due to prescription medications found at the scene & another container of pills in the bathroom. So it may have been an accidental sleeping/painkiller &/or alcohol OD.

Damn shame either way.

MaximusIncredulous
23-Jan-2008, 06:13 AM
Was that sarcasm.....?

If I was handed a million dollars for watching that movie this is what I would say right afterwards.....

"Wow that was awsome!!! I just got a million bucks!....though its a shame that the movie sucked so bad"

Nonetheless its a shame he died....he was a capable and talented actor....(but that doesnt make Knights Tale anywhere close to watchable:barf:)

I got sucked into seeing it with friends who should've known better yet Heath's performance made the film tolerable but only for one viewing.

capncnut
23-Jan-2008, 06:59 AM
I just this minute woke up with the news being read on my radio and now I feel like s**t. This has to be the most important actor death in the last ten years and it might buck up these striking actors into sorting their lives out. I'm hearing that with playing The Joker in The Dark Knight, he was getting two hours sleep a night on average and has been taking pills to combat this; I highly doubt it was suicide. The world has lost a potential 'great' and I'm sure there are many weeping girls out there this morning. R.I.P.

"You gotta approach every day as if it's your last." ~Skip, Lords Of Dogtown

Danny
23-Jan-2008, 08:10 AM
thats a damn shame he was a good actor that wasnt pidgeon holed or typecast, thats a rare thing nowadays.

Neil
23-Jan-2008, 09:07 AM

If it's an overdose there's surely only one person to blame?

capncnut
23-Jan-2008, 10:09 AM
If it's an overdose there's surely only one person to blame?
Things aren't as simple as that, it could've been completely accidental. Low metabolism combined with a couple of pills that wouldn't ordinarily kill a person. I guess we'll have to wait and see later today when the post mortem results are in.

bassman
23-Jan-2008, 12:57 PM
In a round about kind of way, the role of The Joker my have played a part of Ledger's death. I'm a pretty big batman fan and have been following the production of The Dark Knight since it started last spring. In many different interviews Ledger would state that he got so mentally and physically into the role of The Joker that he developed insomnia and lack of apetite.

That could explain the sleeping pills that were found near his body. And if you look at recent photos of him he had really lost a bunch of wait. He didn't look too healthy.

I wonder how this will effect the future of Nolan's Batman trilogy. The marketing campaign around The Dark Knight has focused exclusively on The Joker up until this point. Nolan has stated that The Joker would not be killed off like in Burton's 1989 film......so how now is Nolan going to continue the series? Surely it would be extremely hard to recast Ledger in the role that many people are saying could be the first comic book adaptation to receive an Oscar nomination. I'm going to try and find one of the few signed Joker photographs on Ebay. There can't be that many...

Anyway....my Batman geekness aside, he was a great actor. I think he was only beginning to rise up in the acting chain of command, so to speak.

vissionaerie
23-Jan-2008, 01:49 PM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(....WOW!!!...i just found out abut it this morning listening to my sirius radio...i actually got teary eyed...I thught he was a great actor...it's ashame about his little girl...now she's going to grow up not knowing him....but only by his movies...i feel bad for her....

Neil
23-Jan-2008, 01:53 PM
Things aren't as simple as that, it could've been completely accidental. Low metabolism combined with a couple of pills that wouldn't ordinarily kill a person. I guess we'll have to wait and see later today when the post mortem results are in.

Yes, you are right of course!

MinionZombie
23-Jan-2008, 02:31 PM
I came down from playing some STALKER last night and came in about 15 minutes after the news had been broken. Really took me by surprise cos you don't associate Ledger with drugs, or any kind of socialite living.

He'll be a huge loss to the world of acting. He was great in Lords of Dogtown, and Brokeback Mountain was an absolutely superb film in which Ledger was jaw droppingly good. A real shame and an actual loss. Was it someone on here saying why couldn't it be one of these wasters who just flash their knickers and drink a lot - while I don't feel comfortable with wishing harm on people - I know what you mean, this is a real loss of a talented young actor. :(

It's gonna be really weird now with The Dark Knight, a dark film is now even darker. Maybe the 3rd film won't have the Joker at all ... right now it's hard to see it re-cast, but there's a long time to wait until the third Nolan Batman flick, so...

Anyway, point being, a sad loss. :(

Chic Freak
23-Jan-2008, 03:13 PM
I heard he killed himself because his wife was leaving him... will make the story of the Joker losing his family and going mad more poignant I guess :( RIP.

CornishCorpse
23-Jan-2008, 03:49 PM
Damn poor guy, sorry to hear about his death. Its going to be creepy watching the joker now..I always thought heath ledger was a light hearted sorta guy ( watching his choice of roles whoops ) but now wow..

bassman
23-Jan-2008, 03:56 PM
His autopsy was inconclusive. It will be about 10 days before they get all the results.

I read that when told of Ledger's death, Jack Nicholson said "I warned him".:rockbrow:

capncnut
23-Jan-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes, you are right of course!
You know what gets me all angry? Lowlife f**kholes like Pete Druggerty and Amy Winebinge doing drugs 24/7 and the folks that don't deserve death die before their prime! :mad:

I read that when told of Ledger's death, Jack Nicholson said "I warned him".:rockbrow:
Sheesh! With all the photos that's been taken of him with coke dregs up his nose, he's in no position to talk.

Kaos
23-Jan-2008, 05:10 PM
Threads merged.

Neil
24-Jan-2008, 12:39 PM
Spotted this comment by someone on the BBC website:-

Hopefully Warner Brothers will see sense and shelve The Dark Knight permanently, since to release a film featuring Heath in such a demonic role (and a role in which, as villain, he presumably dies) would be insensitive in the extreme.

I think maybe he should see some sense first :rolleyes:

bassman
24-Jan-2008, 12:46 PM
Spotted this comment by someone on the BBC website:-

I think maybe he should see some sense first :rolleyes:

The Producer of The Dark Knight, Charles Roven, has already stated that they're continuing with post production and the release date will remain the same.

Why would they put the film off entirely??? With a role that Ledger supposedly put so much thought and time into, do you honestly think he wouldn't want it released? Not to mention that someone had already died DURING the production of the film when testing a stunt...

And as if Warner Brothers would shelve a 150-200 million dollar COMPLETED film.:rolleyes:

Neil
24-Jan-2008, 02:07 PM
The Producer of The Dark Knight, Charles Roven, has already stated that they're continuing with post production and the release date will remain the same.

Why would they put the film off entirely??? With a role that Ledger supposedly put so much thought and time into, do you honestly think he wouldn't want it released? Not to mention that someone had already died DURING the production of the film when testing a stunt...

And as if Warner Brothers would shelve a 150-200 million dollar COMPLETED film.:rolleyes:

Exactly...!

Mike70
24-Jan-2008, 02:14 PM
to add a bit - the dark knight isn't coming out until july 18th (bassman is that right?) so these comments about deep sixing it are even more non-sensical. there will be plenty of time for folks to get used to the idea he is gone and i think that people will want very much to see his last bit of completed film work.

brandon lee and vic morrow were both killed on set and those movies were both released.

to shelve this movie not only wouldn't make financial sense, it would be a huge insult to this guys memory. the dark knight ought to be viewed as an elegy.

bassman
24-Jan-2008, 02:18 PM
to add a bit - the dark knight isn't coming out until july 18th (bassman is that right?) so these comments about deep sixing it are even more non-sensical. there will be plenty of time for folks to get used to the idea he is gone and i think that people will want very much to see his last bit of completed film work.

brandon lee and vic morrow were both killed on set and those movies were both released.

to shelve this movie not only wouldn't make financial sense, it would be a huge insult to this guys memory. the dark knight ought to be viewed as an elegy.

Yeah, that's right.

It's kind of a shame for the film, really. Now instead of making it's profit and standing on it's own merits, many people will probably see it because it was Ledger's last film.

Not that this is a bad thing, but the film already looked to be one hell of a ride. Hopefully there won't be alot of school girls that are obsessed with "10 Things I Hate About You" sitting next to me crying when I see it.:|

Surely Nolan and Co. will have some sort of quick behind the scenes thing with Ledger, as well as the stuntman that died. If not that, AT LEAST an "In Memory Of...." at the end. I suspect there will be a documentary focused on them on the DVD, as well.

Danny
24-Jan-2008, 03:07 PM
granted the dude was a great actor, but i was at the pub yesterday at around... 11pm , drinking coke of course;) , and a freind of mine got talking about the dark knight and i mentioned heath ledger dying and he didnt know, so i told him the story on the news and a woman in the booth behind us left crying and her chav boyfreind said "how could you bring that up you insensitive bastard".

no.joke.

Mike70
24-Jan-2008, 03:09 PM
wow. since it was a chav you are probably lucky not to have to go fisticuffs with the dude over the slight to his "lady's" emotional stability.

Danny
24-Jan-2008, 03:12 PM
actually with chavs its the other way round, its the cahvs that are all mouthbut the cahvettes, or "kappa slappers" are the ones more likely to knife you.
in the news the other day an 8 month pregnant cahvette smashed a beer bottle in another womans face for absolutely no reason other than becuase she was white trash, both of them were though, so even though the irony was there, they didnt know what irony was to appreciate it.

bassman
24-Jan-2008, 04:50 PM
I've been reading that police believe that it was an accidental overdose because Ledger was prescribed to Ambien for his sleep problems, Xanax for anxiety, and possibly Vicodin. They're saying that there is no real indication that the lethal combination was taken intentionally, but of course nobody will know for sure until the autopsy tests are completed.

It's good to hear that they think it was an accident at this point. I was hoping it wasn't on purpose.

Mike70
24-Jan-2008, 04:53 PM
ambien, xanax, and vicodin is a pretty potent combination. i wonder if he had seen different doctors for different problems and neglected to tell them he was one or the other of these things. taking all three of these together is not really a good idea. now you add a bit of alcohol(i am not saying he had been drinking- just a conversation bit) into the mix here and you have a perfect receipe for an accidental overdose.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jan-2008, 07:26 PM
This makes me sick.

A few weeks ago I grabbed this poster and a few extra copies for $24.95 a piece, now these jackals want as much as $100 for the poster.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C6&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=The+Dark+Knight+Poster+Teaser+B&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=20874&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fgtp=

Warner Brothers announced this poster would cease production out of respect for Heath Ledgers Memory.

bassman
24-Jan-2008, 07:38 PM
I don't see why they would stop making the posters because of his death. Are they going to digitally remove him from the movie as well?:mad:

Oh well. I got a pretty cool Heath-Joker shirt from Hot Topic that I plan on wearing when I see the film.

bassman
06-Feb-2008, 05:49 PM
It WAS an accident.

The autopsy results have concluded that it was an accidental overdose due to the combination of medications we was taking. He didn't really take too many, just the combination of them all did him in.

They say he was on oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.

SOURCE (http://www.wnbc.com/news/15224103/detail.html?treets=ny&tml=ny_break&ts=T&tmi=ny_break_1_09260402062008)

DjfunkmasterG
06-Feb-2008, 05:49 PM
Per TMZ.COM
The NYC medical examiner has finished the toxicology report following the death of Heath Ledger, and has just ruled that the actor's death was caused by acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.

bassman
06-Feb-2008, 05:50 PM
I JUST posted this in one of the few existing threads on Ledger....

Moderator Note: Thread merged.

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2008, 05:52 PM
It WAS an accident.

The autopsy results have concluded that it was an accidental overdose due to the combination of medications we was taking. He didn't really take too many, just the combination of them all did him in.

They say he was on oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.

SOURCE (http://www.wnbc.com/news/15224103/detail.html?treets=ny&tml=ny_break&ts=T&tmi=ny_break_1_09260402062008)
Which makes it all the more tragic, due to it being a complete accident.

Wouldn't a doctor have known about the conflict of his prescriptions, or are these over-the-counter stuff? I duno about drugs and such.

Still a damn shame, meanwhile Paris Hilton is still sucking dick in a really boring manner. :(

bassman
06-Feb-2008, 06:08 PM

Wouldn't a doctor have known about the conflict of his prescriptions, or are these over-the-counter stuff? I duno about drugs and such.

Still a damn shame, meanwhile Paris Hilton is still sucking dick in a really boring manner. :(

I read somewhere that he was getting prescriptions from different doctors around the globe. Maybe he failed to mention what all he was taking?

DeadJonas190
06-Feb-2008, 07:56 PM

From what I read, 3 of his prescriptions were from a doctor in the US and 3 were from a doctor in Europe, so I guess he didn't mention the other drugs he was on or it was a horrible thing that was overlooked.

kortick
07-Feb-2008, 02:58 AM
oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.

Are you kidding me?

that is Percocet, Vicodin, Valium, Restoril, Xanax, and Unisom!!

The sad truth is, he was a drug addict.

2 of them were synthetic heroin,
3 of them were benzodiazapines,
and 1 was an over the counter anti-histamine.

no sane doctor would prescribe valium, restoril and xanax
to the same patient
and no sane doctor would give percs or vikes to one as well

plus the unisom is used on the streets to kick in
the effect of these drugs and it says on the box
do not take with sleeping meds.

Im sad he has died.
And this is not to slam him.

But it is more than obvious that he was
in plain terms, a junkie, as all those pills
are highly addictive.

If it was you or me whos naked body was
found dead on hotel room floor with that
combo of narcotics in our system, thats
what they would call us.

But don't believe me, call your family doctor
and ask him or her would they describe a person
taking all those pills as someone with a major drug problem.

One for pain, one for sleep, any more is to get high.
I've have been in rehab, I know.

I dont think he planed on killing himself that day
but using drugs like that, this was bound to happen.
He died of suffocation. Thats what happen to you
when you OD on these types of pills.

Still, R.I.P. Heath, you went too early.

Its scary all these doctors would give him
all these pills without checking on his safety.

capncnut
07-Feb-2008, 09:52 AM
Percocet, Vicodin, Valium, Restoril, Xanax, and Unisom!
Lucky bastard. :stunned:

But how else did Heath get prescriptions for these drugs? A quack hadda be involved in it somehow.

major jay
07-Feb-2008, 10:14 AM
oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.

Are you kidding me?

that is Percocet, Vicodin, Valium, Restoril, Xanax, and Unisom!!

The sad truth is, he was a drug addict.

Well put Mr Kortik. That amount of drugs could kill an elephant.

Mike70
07-Feb-2008, 01:36 PM
taking percocet and vicodin together is pretty hardcore and taking them along with all of the others is not a very good idea at all.

MikePizzoff
07-Feb-2008, 01:59 PM
That ridiculous combination is no "accidental overdose" in my eyes... he was gettin F'd up and went a little [a lot] too far.

capncnut
05-Aug-2008, 05:30 PM
Thread resurrection!

Federal investigators want to question actress Mary-Kate Olsen about how Heath Ledger got two powerful pain-killers that contributed to his accidental overdose death, but she wants immunity or she won't talk, a law enforcement official said Monday.

Click (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/people/1091184,CST-FTR-olsen05.article) for article.

bassman
05-Aug-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah. Because that's not suspicious.

That's like that school kid thing of "I know....but I'm just not going to tell you!".

Stuck up, talentless bitch...

capncnut
05-Aug-2008, 05:49 PM
I agree Bassman and why does she want immunity? Surely this will only make the police want to quiz her more?

MinionZombie
05-Aug-2008, 06:07 PM
I agree Bassman and why does she want immunity? Surely this will only make the police want to quiz her more?
Stinks of sh*t to me lads, that scrawny thing is rubbish anyway.

Aye, I mean that's a classic example of making something look proper shifty, I mean that's a rookie mistake right there.

The masseuse discovered Ledger's body on Jan. 22. Police say she spent nine minutes making three calls to Olsen before dialing 911 for help, then called the actress a fourth time after paramedics arrived. At some point during the flurry of frantic calls, Olsen, who was in California, summoned her personal security guards to the apartment to help, police said.

That's a bit shady innit.

slickwilly13
06-Aug-2008, 02:00 AM
Great news. They are going to make that bitch testify.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/mary-kate-to-be-subpoenaed-in-ledger-investigation/11639?nc

Bub666
06-Aug-2008, 03:21 AM
Great news. They are going to make that bitch testify.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/mary-kate-to-be-subpoenaed-in-ledger-investigation/11639?nc

That is great news.

sandrock74
06-Aug-2008, 04:48 AM
Methinks she has something to hide. Why all these phone calls to her as opposed to 911?? I wonder if he had anything else in his system that hasn't been publicly released?

And I agree with bassman311, she is a talentless bitch...and her sister too!

horrormad
06-Aug-2008, 10:27 PM
This Is really sad news he didnt deserve to die so young.:(

Danny
06-Aug-2008, 11:05 PM
you've just heard?

SRP76
06-Aug-2008, 11:28 PM
Who gives a damn about the Olsen bitch?

Ledger took all that crap of his own accord; nobody put a gun to his head. How he came by it is irrelevant. Just another attempt to shift blame and responsibility off a drug abuser when they croak.

bassman
07-Aug-2008, 12:12 AM
Who gives a damn about the Olsen bitch?

Ledger took all that crap of his own accord; nobody put a gun to his head. How he came by it is irrelevant. Just another attempt to shift blame and responsibility off a drug abuser when they croak.

Ever heard of the DEA? They care. Look into that.

SRP76
07-Aug-2008, 12:29 AM
Screw the DEA. They're not worthy of investigating a case of jock itch.

Bub666
07-Aug-2008, 02:03 AM
Methinks she has something to hide. Why all these phone calls to her as opposed to 911?? I wonder if he had anything else in his system that hasn't been publicly released?

And I agree with bassman311, she is a talentless bitch...and her sister too!

I think we can all agree that both of the Olsen twins have no talent.

SRP76
07-Aug-2008, 02:28 AM
And it doesn't matter after all:

Federal investigators drop Ledger drug inquiry
Published: 8/6/08, 10:05 PM EDT
By TOM HAYS
NEW YORK (AP) - Federal prosecutors have decided not to pursue a criminal case into how Heath Ledger obtained the powerful painkillers that contributed to his overdose death this year, a law enforcement official said Wednesday.

Prosecutors in the U.S. attorney's office in Manhattan had been overseeing a Drug Enforcement Administration probe into whether the painkillers found in Ledger's system were obtained illegally. But the prosecutors have bowed out "because they don't believe there's a viable target," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because no charges have been filed.

The decision comes after recent reports that actress Mary-Kate Olsen was demanding immunity before answering questions about the startling death of her close friend and his drug use. Authorities say she was the first person called by a masseuse who found the 28-year-old "Dark Knight" actor's lifeless body in his Manhattan apartment.

The DEA had obtained a subpoena that could have forced Olsen if she continued to hold out. But the subpoena, issued in April, is no longer valid because it was contingent upon prosecutors pursuing the case, the official said Wednesday. The official added that the case could still be revived if evidence of a crime emerges.

Rebekah Carmichael, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office, said it's the office's policy to "neither confirm nor deny the existance of an investigation." There was no immediate response to a message left for Olsen's attorney, Michael C. Miller.

DEA investigators suspect the painkillers found in Ledger's system, oxycodone and hydrocodone, were obtained with phony prescriptions or other illegal means. Oxycodone is sold as OxyContin and hydrocodone as Vicodin.

Miller insisted this week that Olsen, a former child star on the sitcom "Full House," had already told the government she "does not know the source of the drugs Mr. Ledger consumed."

Other potential witnesses apparently answered questions voluntarily, including doctors, Ledger's ex-girlfriend Michelle Williams and people in his apartment around the time of his death.

Other drugs taken by Ledger, including anti-anxiety medication and sleeping pills, were prescribed legally by doctors in California and Texas.

The medical examiner's office wouldn't say what concentrations of each drug were found but made clear he was killed by the combination - not an excess of any one drug in particular. It's common for the DEA to investigate an overdose death with so many different drugs involved, a DEA spokesman said last month.

The masseuse discovered Ledger's body on Jan. 22. Police say she spent nine minutes making three calls to Olsen before dialing 911 for help, then called the actress a fourth time after paramedics arrived. At some point during the flurry of frantic calls, Olsen, who was in California, summoned her personal security guards to the apartment to help, police said.

Ledger died after filming "The Dark Night," the latest movie in the "Batman" series, in which he has earned rave reviews for playing a maniacal Joker. The film had taken in more than $400 million domestically as of Monday.