PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Mechanics

sammylou
23-Jan-2008, 02:47 AM
I know I sound stupid for asking this, but the question has been bugging me.

When someone dies in a Romero-universe outbreak due to natural causes, (i.e. a heart attack, stroke, gunshot to the heart or chest, etc...) do they reanimate? Because if this was the case, the city in LOTD would be done for, as people die naturally all the time, and then there would zombies attacking from the inside.

Some reasons disproving the idea...

Proving that everyone doesn't reanimate...

- When Dr. Logan gets filled with lead by Rhodes in Day, he never gets shot in the head but still doesn't reanimates.

-The bikers in DOTD that are shot by Ben and Stephen do reanimate

But do they not reanimate because not enough time has passed since their death? Please help me here!

SRP76
23-Jan-2008, 02:51 AM
All dead bodies with no brain injuries reanimate.

Cholo and his crew take care of this. That's the garbage they're taking out.

Mike70
23-Jan-2008, 03:07 AM
When Dr. Logan gets filled with lead by Rhodes in Day, he never gets shot in the head but still doesn't reanimates.!

i've wondered about that a bit too. does dr. logan, when he is ventilated by rhodes damage his brain by impacting the concrete he falls on?

thoughts, opinions on this??

SRP76
23-Jan-2008, 03:15 AM
It wouldn't have been a "tear-jerker" scene if Bub found a shambling flesheater. Therefore, Logan hadn't reanimated.

jim102016
23-Jan-2008, 03:25 AM
All dead bodies with no brain injuries reanimate.

Cholo and his crew take care of this. That's the garbage they're taking out.

Along with the so-called "enemies of the state" as Kaufman identified and Cholo so quietly dispatched and disposed of.

It wouldn't have been a "tear-jerker" scene if Bub found a shambling flesheater. Therefore, Logan hadn't reanimated.

Maybe he did later. I always thought a quick shot of a re-animated Frankenstein at the end during the "feast scenes" would have been icing on the cake.

SRP76
23-Jan-2008, 03:33 AM
Along with the so-called "enemies of the state" as Kaufman identified and Cholo so quietly dispatched and disposed of.

Maybe he did later. I always thought a quick shot of a re-animated Frankenstein at the end during the "feast scenes" would have been icing on the cake.

Now that you mention it, I just noticed some useless trivia:

Day is the only one of Romero's Dead films in which one of the main characters doesn't reanimate.

clanglee
23-Jan-2008, 03:40 AM
Now that you mention it, I just noticed some useless trivia:

Day is the only one of Romero's Dead films in which one of the main characters doesn't reanimate.

Good Point, Tho Johnny and Karen weren't exactly MAJOR characters, you have an excellent point. There needs to be a zombie trivia board game.

SRP76
23-Jan-2008, 03:52 AM
Good Point, Tho Johnny and Karen weren't exactly MAJOR characters, you have an excellent point. There needs to be a zombie trivia board game.

I forgot about them, actually.:D

I was thinking of Helen Cooper. I think Harry opened his eyes, too, but didn't have a chance to get up.

clanglee
23-Jan-2008, 03:54 AM
I forgot about them, actually.:D

I was thinking of Helen Cooper. I think Harry opened his eyes, too, but didn't have a chance to get up.

:lol::lol:
And i forgot about them.

SRP76
23-Jan-2008, 04:02 AM
Also, Logan's lack of shambling doesn't point to the .....whatever it is....being over, unless it happens all at once.

Major Whatshisface croaked "this morning". A few hours later, Sarah finds him undead-and-kicking in Logan's lab. So, there is ironclad proof that the dead were still reanimating at the start of the movie (which is - what? - 5 days ago).

In addition, if whatever were causing the dead to reanimate suddenly disappeared, all those zombies would cease to operate; they would "drop over", exactly as Rhodes wanted them to. Since they were still a-shamblin' when the movie ended, the dead must have still been reanimating.

Legion2213
23-Jan-2008, 10:15 AM
I know I sound stupid for asking this, but the question has been bugging me.

When someone dies in a Romero-universe outbreak due to natural causes, (i.e. a heart attack, stroke, gunshot to the heart or chest, etc...) do they reanimate? Because if this was the case, the city in LOTD would be done for, as people die naturally all the time, and then there would zombies attacking from the inside.

Some reasons disproving the idea...

Proving that everyone doesn't reanimate...

- When Dr. Logan gets filled with lead by Rhodes in Day, he never gets shot in the head but still doesn't reanimates.

-The bikers in DOTD that are shot by Ben and Stephen do reanimate

But do they not reanimate because not enough time has passed since their death? Please help me here!

Well, Rhodes put about 30 rounds into Logan, it's concievable that one took out his brain or severed his spine.

In the Directors cut of Land, there is a scene where Cholo kills a zombie in "the Green" resulting from a guy who hanged himself...so in "Land", the "zombie plague" or whatever you wish to call it is still active and bringing back undamaged corpses.

paulannett
23-Jan-2008, 12:13 PM
Going by how poor DayOTD was, I'd assume it was a blooper...
:hyper:

I'd like to think GAR did it on purpose, but I find it unlikely.

bassman
23-Jan-2008, 01:06 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but on the commentary for Day, don't they acknowledge the fact that Logan doesn't get shot in the head and that it was an accident on their part?

Maybe i'm imagining that, though....

Skippy911sc
23-Jan-2008, 01:11 PM
I think its just a film making flub...

In Land...I think it might be a deleted scene in which Cholo enters one of the greens apts to find a man that hung himself and he reanimates. As for Logan maybe it just takes a little more time...or maybe they just don;t think about this as much as some of us ;)

Mike70
23-Jan-2008, 01:25 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but on the commentary for Day, don't they acknowledge the fact that Logan doesn't get shot in the head and that it was an accident on their part?

Maybe i'm imagining that, though....

i just popped it in and listened to the relevant parts of the commentary. they don't talk about this at all - at least in the parts where logan is ventilated by rhodes or in the part where bub finds him. doesn't mean they don't talk about somewhere else in the commentary...

bassman
23-Jan-2008, 01:43 PM
i just popped it in and listened to the relevant parts of the commentary. they don't talk about this at all - at least in the parts where logan is ventilated by rhodes or in the part where bub finds him. doesn't mean they don't talk about somewhere else in the commentary...

I was probably thinking of a conversation around here or something else. My bad...

Deadman_Deluxe
23-Jan-2008, 01:55 PM
In regards to Dr. Logan NOT reannimating ... who says he didn't?

We see Dr. Logan briefly, after an undisclosed length of time has passed, still lying dead on the floor, in a cold storage room, but as we all know the reanimation process takes time (somewhere between ten to sixty minutes depending) and was possibly delayed by the fact that he was actually in a cold storage room, ... so maybe he DID come back, only after bub (along with camera crew and storyline) had moved on elsewhere.

Alternatively, the last time we discussed this topic there was also mention of a possible "richochet" or stray bullet which caught him in the back of the head.

Most likely though is that this is a "blooper", but one which could easily be explained by either the "richochet" or stray bullet theory, or even the delay in reanimation due to cold storage location.

Use your own imagination ;)

belial14
23-Jan-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah that just means that there was not that much thought on it. Probably just overlooked. Or o one cared

sammylou
23-Jan-2008, 08:45 PM
In addition, if whatever were causing the dead to reanimate suddenly disappeared, all those zombies would cease to operate; they would "drop over", exactly as Rhodes wanted them to. Since they were still a-shamblin' when the movie ended, the dead must have still been reanimating.[/QUOTE]

I believe that in one of the original drafts of Day, there was a scene after they escaped the base showing one of the soldiers who had been bitten lying dead, implying that the infection was over in a sense and giving hope that Sarah and her crew might have a chance at restarting the world.

Oh, and I saw the directors cut of LOTD and the man hanging himself but I though that maybe he was bitten in a place like the arm or leg where he wouldn't die from the bite, then hung himself before anyone found out. Dumb theory, though, now as I write it...

Yojimbo
25-Jan-2008, 12:52 AM
Dudes, I cannot recall which commentary for which film I heard this one, but it was said by some director, AD, or someone similar that they had an opportunity to speak with GAR on the telephone one night in conjunction with some project and that he had neglected to ask GAR about this. Apparently this dude as a young kid having seen Day had a nightmare about Logan getting up and then being led off into the sunset with Bub, and that Bub began teaching Logan how to "be civil" just as logan had taught Bub. So this guy had always meant to ask GAR, his idol, about what his intentions had been in not shooting Logan in the head, and he was so star-struck that he totally.

So again, can't recall which flick I heard this commentary on. Maybe one of those false memories.

SymphonicX
25-Jan-2008, 06:08 PM
IMDB mentions Logan not reanimating therefore giving "hope" to the lead characters...

I think it was intended as a nod to the problem ceasing to be, but there could be a million reasons why he didn't re-animate....my theory is that he had died like two seconds before Bub walked in, having been unconcious and bleeding to death by the time he got there....maybe all the bullets missed his vital organs ala Naked Gun...:lol:

sandrock74
26-Jan-2008, 04:11 AM
"Luckily the bullets missed all his vital organs and the salt water preserved him." - The Naked Gun
Why in God's name would someone who is going to kill themselves in a situation like Land HANG themselves?!? Especially AT HOME?!? Did that useless guy care so little for his own family that he was content to kill himself and "turn" and eat his family? Geez...

Mike70
26-Jan-2008, 04:24 AM
"Luckily the bullets missed all his vital organs and the salt water preserved him." - The Naked Gun
Why in God's name would someone who is going to kill themselves in a situation like Land HANG themselves?!? Especially AT HOME?!? Did that useless guy care so little for his own family that he was content to kill himself and "turn" and eat his family? Geez...

maybe he thought he was too rich and too special to ever wind up as something as mundane as a zombie.:D:lol:

Legion2213
26-Jan-2008, 06:04 PM

You are thinking rationally, suicide victims tend not to think that way.

blind2d
11-Feb-2008, 02:58 PM
Sad, but true. Watch out, all you homemaker-types!