PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a film (DVD) for Friday night...

Neil
23-Jan-2008, 09:28 AM
Got a couple of mates coming over so need a good action, or scifi, or comedy sort of film...

And suggestions?

Danny
23-Jan-2008, 09:48 AM
die hard, terminator 2 or porkys:cool:

MinionZombie
23-Jan-2008, 09:54 AM
Shoot 'Em Up? It's both action and comedy.

capncnut
23-Jan-2008, 10:15 AM
Brokeback Mountain. :D

Neil
23-Jan-2008, 12:15 PM
die hard, terminator 2 or porkys:cool:

Oh cumon! Seen it... Seen it... Seen it!

Mike70
23-Jan-2008, 12:56 PM
galaxy quest, the running man, serenity or maybe tron.

Neil
23-Jan-2008, 01:03 PM
Shoot 'Em Up? It's both action and comedy.

Nice one! I'd forgotten all about! Wanted to see it at the cinema, but it never seemed to arrive :rockbrow:

paulannett
23-Jan-2008, 01:04 PM
Sunshine

Kaos
23-Jan-2008, 01:18 PM
The Devil's Backbone

Skippy911sc
23-Jan-2008, 01:33 PM
The man from earth...Kinda of a thinker

Big Lebowski...can always watch again and again...etc

3:10 to Yuma...ok western flick

Near Dark

Man bites Dog...French flick but pretty cool

Transformers...I know popcorn bubble gum cheese...but sometime you want this

Vampires Kiss...funny flick...nick cage

Titanic...just kidding

Neil
23-Jan-2008, 01:48 PM
Sunshine

Watched it at the cinema... Bit of a let down IMHO... Bit of a poor script...

The Devil's Backbone

Got it... Just not watched it yet... Think it might be a bit too serious for a lads/beer film...

Terran
23-Jan-2008, 01:54 PM

Awesome movie

Hmm....Neil if you like Cronenberg...and liked a HIstory of Violence...and havent seen Eastern Promisses you should pick that up.....Its been released here on DVD I dont know if it has the same release in the UK though...

Danny
23-Jan-2008, 02:09 PM
the green mile, guaranteed to make a group of grown men cry;)

MinionZombie
23-Jan-2008, 02:11 PM
3:10 to Yuma is pretty dern good (and will be getting the DVD free from Total Film as I was this month's featured letter of the month :cool:), but maybe a smidge serious or considered for a ladsy beery nighty in...y :D

History of Violence, as well as Eastern Promises are both good films too (saw the latter quite recently as well), but again, not really beer night fodder.

For beer night fodder, I return to my recommendation of Shoot Em Up, it's daft beyond belief but is loads of fun, plenty of larfs to be had, isn't too long and I think it's ideal beer night viewing. It's got the MinionZombie seal of approval. :)

Neil
23-Jan-2008, 02:12 PM
3:10 to Yuma...ok western flick

3:10 - Got is as a backup!

Man Bites Dog - Might be a bit hard going I think for a 'fun Friday flick' :stunned:

Skippy911sc
23-Jan-2008, 02:16 PM
One more to consider Chronos...

Check that out...I've got it on LD.

MinionZombie
23-Jan-2008, 02:22 PM
Shoot Em Up with 3:10 backup! :)

Neil
23-Jan-2008, 03:25 PM
Shoot Em Up with 3:10 backup! :)

Sounds like a damn good plan!

Chicken Tikka Dansak, with a Chicken Vindaloo backup
Shoot Em Up, with a 3:10 backup

CornishCorpse
23-Jan-2008, 04:04 PM
Damn looks like Im too late! I was going to recommend versus since its usually about £2..Youve got the martial arts, the guns, the zombies, the cheese and its generally a laughable film. Twas what entertained me and my mates at the last guys night.

paulannett
23-Jan-2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe a little "Crank" with Jason Statham...

capncnut
23-Jan-2008, 04:41 PM
Chicken Tikka Dansak...
Yurst, can't beat a Chicken Dansak or a Korai Chicken for that matter.

<smacks lips>

Cor, you're making me hungry Neil. :D

Terran
23-Jan-2008, 05:52 PM
Man Bites Dog - Might be a bit hard going I think for a 'fun Friday flick' :stunned:
I guess that depends on what you consider fun and who your friends are....:blood:

the green mile, guaranteed to make a group of grown men cry;)

:dead:
jeeze I hate that movie....soooo lame.....makes me want to throw stuff at my TV....

Sunshine

I also think thats lame....I hate it when movies try to be serious yet have so many flaws...

MikePizzoff
23-Jan-2008, 06:03 PM
The Lost Boys! It's filled with plenty of comedy, action, and horror.

Graebel
23-Jan-2008, 06:17 PM
The Simpsons Movie!!

Why? Because its a movie about Homer's love for a pig.:hyper:

MinionZombie
23-Jan-2008, 06:32 PM
Sounds like a damn good plan!

Chicken Tikka Dansak, with a Chicken Vindaloo backup
Shoot Em Up, with a 3:10 backup
Bootin' the wife out for the evening eh? Nice. :p

Tricky
23-Jan-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/9/84169-large.jpg
Good russian film about their involvement in afghanistan,well made & plenty of action,subtitles might be a bit much for a lads night in though.

How about a mighty boosh night?pure comedy!

Pink floyd - the wall

Reign of fire

Road trip

The butterfly effect

p2501
24-Jan-2008, 05:18 PM
skip 3:10 it was at best lackluster.

the casting was awesome, but i dunno the film just lacks something.

sammylou
25-Jan-2008, 01:28 AM
criminally underrated. Directed by Danny Boyle, who did 28 Days Later

Terran
25-Jan-2008, 06:53 AM
Like I said earlier....I just cant get over how lame Sunshine is...

paulannett
25-Jan-2008, 07:32 AM
I can't get over how lame you are... I kid, I kid. :P

I really liked it.

Neil
25-Jan-2008, 07:52 AM
criminally underrated. Directed by Danny Boyle, who did 28 Days Later

Sunshine? OK:-
1) Let's wrap ourselves in a blanket and jump thru space... Yeh - right!
2) Oh, we have artificial gravity! Really!?
3) The whole premis of the guy gone mad was very weak! And been done sooo many times before...
4) We're running out of air, oh no we're going to die! - Let's make NO attempt to close off rooms not being used, or use all that air in the bomb bay that's the size of X football fields. And these are the brightest people we could find on Earth? We deserve to die!

The holes in the script were just too big for me... Could have been a great film, but for me it was nothing more than a nicley shot meh!

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2008, 10:51 AM
In a film where a spaceship is strapped to a bomb - a second bomb as well - that is the size of Manhattan, you've gotta suspend your reality.

Event Horizon had a guy dangling out in space, sans blanket, and he was brought back inside.

Artificial gravity - how else are you gonna film something like Sunshine? You can't be fitting all the sets into pokey little planes and keep going up and down up and down to get them weightless for a few minutes. Yes I know Apollo 13 did that, but the entire film wasn't set in space, and what was set in space was set in a pokey little space craft, not a massive space station.

The bomb bay would have to left with air - because as we saw people had to access it, and quite possibly quickly.

I liked the 'guy gone nuts' thing, because it's all about the power of the sun - someone who's been possessed by the power of it essentially, like that guy on the second ship...kinda like a version of him further down the line.

It was beautifully shot, the acting was good, the music was excellent. I felt it was a really powerful film to view, it had me gripped to the point where I could hardly breathe at some points (e.g. the shields scene when they're on there to fix some broken panels). I still get shivers down my spine watching that scene, but when I first saw it I could hardly breathe I was so wrapped up in it all.

Neil
25-Jan-2008, 11:30 AM
In a film where a spaceship is strapped to a bomb - a second bomb as well - that is the size of Manhattan, you've gotta suspend your reality.

Event Horizon had a guy dangling out in space, sans blanket, and he was brought back inside.

Artificial gravity - how else are you gonna film something like Sunshine? You can't be fitting all the sets into pokey little planes and keep going up and down up and down to get them weightless for a few minutes. Yes I know Apollo 13 did that, but the entire film wasn't set in space, and what was set in space was set in a pokey little space craft, not a massive space station.

The bomb bay would have to left with air - because as we saw people had to access it, and quite possibly quickly.

I liked the 'guy gone nuts' thing, because it's all about the power of the sun - someone who's been possessed by the power of it essentially, like that guy on the second ship...kinda like a version of him further down the line.

It was beautifully shot, the acting was good, the music was excellent. I felt it was a really powerful film to view, it had me gripped to the point where I could hardly breathe at some points (e.g. the shields scene when they're on there to fix some broken panels). I still get shivers down my spine watching that scene, but when I first saw it I could hardly breathe I was so wrapped up in it all.

Suspend reality doesn't equate to lazy writing... The hole premis that they were going to run out of air was just utter nonsense! They had like a million cubic feet of air in the bomb area alone!

Gravity? Either (a) you explain it - they had rotating parts of the ship, yet these played no part in the gravity on the vessel(s). (b) - You make weightlessness more a part of the story, (c) you simply design a craft which would have gravity, eg: a bit rotating/spinning doghnut/tube down it somewhere.

I'm not saying it was a bad film, and some parts of it - particularly in the first half - were very good. It's just - somewhat like 28 days later - I felt the second half just got lazy and lowered the quality of the film for me...

Anyway, tonights film is... DRUM ROLL... Shoot Em Up...

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2008, 01:25 PM
You're damn right Shoot 'Em Up! :)

bassman
25-Jan-2008, 03:31 PM
I still haven't seen Shoot Em Up. May have to rent it this evening...