PDA

View Full Version : Rambo - Getting good reviews!

Neil
24-Jan-2008, 11:29 AM
AICN has some up - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35390

CoinReturn
24-Jan-2008, 12:23 PM
CHUD (http://chud.com/articles/articles/13366/1/REVIEW-RAMBO/Page1.html) posted their review as well, 8.5 out of 10.

Rambo might end up being the single goriest movie of the year. I know that the attack on the village is meant to be horrifying, but it's really a big wet blast. Body parts are shot off, people are blown up, kids get shot in the chest. Stallone soaks the scene in blood. I applauded.

the final battle in the movie is going to certainly end up going down in history as one of the most violent ever.

Rambo won't end up on any best of lists, it won't win any Oscars, it won't be remembered as a great film. It's a movie that knows what the audience expects and it comes from a filmmaker who is confident in how to deliver that without being boring, cheesy or too silly. Rambo really bridges the gap between First Blood and the sequels, and I couldn't be happier that Stallone moved the franchise into that direction.

Sounds hilariously awesome. I'm going Saturday night with about 5 people, can't wait!

MinionZombie
24-Jan-2008, 04:14 PM
Ever since I saw that early video of various violent clips and saw the AA gun explode a guy sitting directly in front of it, I've been drooling over this movie. :cool:

I'm SO up for Rambo, and Rocky Balboa was awesome - Stallone is certainly back to his best. :)

Legion2213
24-Jan-2008, 04:33 PM
Body parts are shot off, people are blown up, kids get shot in the chest. Stallone soaks the scene in blood. I applauded.

**** yeah! :lol:

I've just realised that I need to get the original "First Blood" on DVD as well.

bassman
24-Jan-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't get it. All this blood splattering and stuff isn't what made First Blood a good film.

I'll definitely see Rambo(eventually), but it sounds like it's straying pretty far from the source material of the original and imitating the lesser sequels...

Danny
24-Jan-2008, 05:05 PM
Ever since I saw that early video of various violent clips and saw the AA gun explode a guy sitting directly in front of it, I've been drooling over this movie. :cool:

ah dude i know, i showed my freinds the trailer the other day and they just shook there heads going "nuh-uh" again and again.:lol:

p2501
24-Jan-2008, 05:14 PM
agreed, ever since the promo reel dropped i've been on for this one. something about vaguely accurate ballistics always suckers me in. and that spot with the .50 cal turning the guy to paint was just epic. I'm planning on catching it Friday.

MinionZombie
24-Jan-2008, 05:32 PM
agreed, ever since the promo reel dropped i've been on for this one. something about vaguely accurate ballistics always suckers me in. and that spot with the .50 cal turning the guy to paint was just epic. I'm planning on catching it Friday.
I hope to see it in the cinema when it finally lands here ... sometime in February I think.

Bassman - but equally, would you actually want First Blood all over again?

I think the point here with Rambo is that it's balls-out-and-swinging-on-some-big-breasted-bimbo's-chin style macho, none of that Die Soft 4.0 CGI shenanigans or whatnot. It's a big burly bloke with a f*cking huge knife causing absolute, adult-rated carnage.

First Blood was an excellent film, but I don't want to see it again with 61 year old Stallone, it was a different time and in a different era. I think in this day-and-age of the internet everybody has seen rather gruesome REAL things, so to be balls-out and - importantly - memorable with the gore, is a good thing.

Rather than just senseless killing, make it an action spectacle like the films from our youths - with really imaginative gags that really stick out, it confirms it's just a movie.

Hopefully the rest of Rambo is as good as the carnage. :)

bassman
24-Jan-2008, 05:41 PM
No, I don't want First Blood all over again. But I definitely don't want "Rambo: First Blood Part II" or "Rambo III" all over again and that's what this is sounding like.

I want a thought provoking story with compelling characters that have a reason to be doing what their doing. I'm not saying that Rambo doesn't have all those things that made First Blood so great, but from what I've read, it sounds more along the lines of the sequels....

Credits open, rambo kills, makes explosions, and jumps off of things for two hours....roll credits. I may of liked that when I was 12, but now I want something alittle more for my $10 at the cinema.

I mean.....this thing is starting to look like Dawn04 to me. Ripping off the original's good ideas only to make it a dumb action flick. Then again...this is all coming from trailers and reviews, so I could be wrong.

MinionZombie
24-Jan-2008, 08:03 PM
And Rambo is neither a remake nor name-rape...and it doesn't have running zombies in it.

Incidently, that half hour video interview with GAR was great. :)

bassman
24-Jan-2008, 08:07 PM
I didnt say it was a remake. Just that it looks like two hours of nothing but action...

paulannett
24-Jan-2008, 08:18 PM
Bassman, you seem to be forgetting that this is RAMBO, not some plot-driven, oscar winning, tear-jerking, half-assed, cgi-action film for kids. This is pure 80's, back to the basics... big muscles, big guns, big explosions, big death-count (all of which the Rambo brand is now synonymous with, despite First Blood). This is a MOVIE... a popcorn churning, coke-guzzling, maltteaser munching , entertaining movie. Not a classy, upmarket film with plenty to say about the world.

"I didnt say it was a remake. Just that it looks like two hours of nothing but action..."

Sometimes it's fun to just disengage the brain, relax and let the magic happen. :)

Rambo, **** yeah!

bassman
24-Jan-2008, 08:29 PM
Bassman, you seem to be forgetting that this is RAMBO, not some plot-driven, oscar winning, tear-jerking, half-assed, cgi-action film for kids. This is pure 80's, back to the basics... big muscles, big guns, big explosions, big death-count (all of which the Rambo brand is now synonymous with, despite First Blood). This is a MOVIE... a popcorn churning, coke-guzzling, maltteaser munching , entertaining movie. Not a classy, upmarket film with plenty to say about the world.

"I didnt say it was a remake. Just that it looks like two hours of nothing but action..."

Sometimes it's fun to just disengage the brain, relax and let the magic happen. :)

Rambo, **** yeah!

There would be no big muscles, big explosions, etc, etc, without the original First Blood. The only one in the original trilogy that's worth a damn. I'm not saying that Rambo is no good - I havent seen it yet. I'm just saying that the trailers and such make it seem like nothing but action, which just isn't my thing. I LOVE action, but I can't love the situation if I don't have a reason to care for the characters. There may be character development, but I haven't seen the film yet.

I'll give Stallone a few points for Rocky Balboa because it had heart even though it was basically a rehash of the original....so time will tell how he does with this franchise.

I know that the TV spots for Rambo are f*cking hilarious..
Rambo running through the woods and shooting guns while that horrible Drowning Pool song plays.:lol:

paulannett
24-Jan-2008, 08:44 PM
This is just an aside!
The following picture could contain what could be construed as spoilers...

It compares the kill ratio of all the Rambo films!

http://i30.tinypic.com/2utm17c.jpg

Neil
24-Jan-2008, 10:14 PM
This is just an aside!
The following picture could contain what could be construed as spoilers...

It compares the kill ratio of all the Rambo films!

Quite possibly the best use of the internet yet! :)

Danny
24-Jan-2008, 10:17 PM

Rambo, **** yeah!

*wipes a tear from his eye and stands up and applauds with the vigour of a man whos just seen the greatest opera in all the turtle supported multiverses*

SRP76
25-Jan-2008, 01:29 AM
Anyone know where Rambo is supposed to be in this film?

Every ad I've seen is all jungle, which points to Indochina again. Just how is that relevant? Hasn't Rambo already done all the jungle asskicking he can possibly do? There shouldn't be any reason for him to be there this time.

Danny
25-Jan-2008, 01:37 AM
i think in his advanced years stallone forgot hed done it allready:lol:

clanglee
25-Jan-2008, 02:53 AM
Maybe Korea? Dunno. . but that would be funny.

SoCalLoco
25-Jan-2008, 03:21 AM
This is completely off topic, but did anyone read the novel First blood? Very, very brutal. The movie made Rambo a sympathetic war hero who isn't treated fairly by the system. The book generally upholds that view, but Rambo is a much darker, less sympathetic anti-hero in it, and is almost psychotic. The end differs greatly from the movie too.

MODS FEEL FREE TO PUT A SPOILER (I don't know how)
Trautman blows Rambo's face off with a shotgun at the end

Anyhow, the new movie seems to show the darker side of Rambo that the previous films never seemed to capture before. For those of you Rambo fans, I definitely recommend reading the book. FANTASTIC.

Anyone know where Rambo is supposed to be in this film?

Every ad I've seen is all jungle, which points to Indochina again. Just how is that relevant? Hasn't Rambo already done all the jungle asskicking he can possibly do? There shouldn't be any reason for him to be there this time.

Myanmar (sp?) or the country formally known as Burma. The synopsis of the movie is, Rambo has to get a bunch of white missionaries from the west out of the country.

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2008, 10:40 AM
I'd heard it was Burma. Stallone asked a mate of his who knows about the world of politics and strife and asked where Rambo would be best suited - Burma was the answer.

So I think that's where the film is set.

p2501
26-Jan-2008, 10:59 PM
It is set in Burma.

Caught it this afternoon, it's easily for me the best one of the series, and a very streamlined film. the violence is disturbingly real, and not at all what the previews make it out to me. it's pretty gorram accurate.

MinionZombie
27-Jan-2008, 12:24 PM
Just after posting my post I read an article in Total Film about it and aye, says he wrote to Soldier of Fortune magazine and they said Burma was the place to go. Seems as though they actually filmed in Burma too, and that certain locals who auditioned for roles had their families 'disappear' on them and such. :eek:

Tricky
27-Jan-2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah stallone said that Burma was chosen because it would be an insult to any of the real serving soldiers of today if a rambo film was set in any of the worlds current hotspots with rambo running around as a one man army & saving the day,i.e. afghanistan or iraq,which is fair enough in my opinion!

But yeah ive heard they have had some pretty tough times filming in burma,some of the actors in the film are real life paramilitarys & theres been threats etc!:eek:

CoinReturn
27-Jan-2008, 02:44 PM
I saw it last night, and Stallone was ****ing awesome. The film exudes a feeling of an 80's action movie; from the jungle locale, to the thin but adequate plot, and to the brutal, over the top violence. I couldn't believe the fact that there were 3 little kids sitting behind me, all under 10. If I saw Rambo when I was their age, I'd have **** my pants.

Anyway, just go see it in the theater. Its a classic example of how to do an action movie right.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Jan-2008, 07:23 PM
I saw it last night, but... eh, I wasn't impressed. The action was top notch, but overly exaggerated in spots. The first half has a lot of forgettable dialog, and the last 35 minutes is just non stop action, no dialog just edge of your seat hard core 80's action, but the film still lacked a lot.

I gave it a 5 out of 10. Its hard to beat First Blood which is the best John Rambo film.

zombie04
28-Jan-2008, 01:35 AM
My thoughts on Rambo, it was everything I wanted it to be. Sure First Blood was a fantastic movie and the immediate sequels were more or less a slap in the face of the entire point the first movie made, but I think Stallone was wise to not do an entire rehash of First Blood. At least this one managed to be entertaining and was of a quality some movies out today strive to achieve (more on this in a bit).

The violence was really the selling point for me. When I heard Rambo 4 was being made, I was skeptical because Rocky Balboa was such a great movie and there was thought in the back of my mind that Stallone was pushing his limits with another long-delayed sequel to one of his most popular characters. But once I saw that advance trailer that was completely blood soaked, I was sold on it because I saw the extreme of Rambo III taken to an even higher extreme and I assumed some of the magic of Rocky VI would carry over to this film as well. I think I started to think more postively of this film as I heard Stallone talk about it. I know he really does care for the characters of Rocky Balboa and John Rambo, and I think these last movies were his way of making an acceptable endnote to the two characters who were connected to him so closely.

But now the bad news. It appears that while Rambo did have a good opening, there was another "film" that managed to outsell it by $600,000 for the weekend. And that "film" is called Meet the Spartans, aka Epic Movie 2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

As much as I love America and most Americans, there really are moments when it becomes undeniably clear that the lowest common denominator has much more free time on its hands.

SRP76
28-Jan-2008, 02:55 AM
But now the bad news. It appears that while Rambo did have a good opening, there was another "film" that managed to outsell it by $600,000 for the weekend. And that "film" is called Meet the Spartans, aka Epic Movie 2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

As much as I love America and most Americans, there really are moments when it becomes undeniably clear that the lowest common denominator has much more free time on its hands.

That's to be expected. As you said, most people are just into the nyuknyuk stupidity of certain movies.

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2008, 09:55 AM
That's to be expected. As you said, most people are just into the nyuknyuk stupidity of certain movies.
What's the rating of Epic Movie 2? If it's lower than Rambo, that'll explain it.

Plus teenagers are retards. :D