PDA

View Full Version : New forms of currency

kortick
25-Jan-2008, 06:52 PM
this would be hysterical if some of it wasnt actually true

you will find this funny if you are not a fan of this administration

http://blip.tv/file/520347.

For the record I am not a Bush hater.
I hate all of the government Democrats included.

Mike70
26-Jan-2008, 10:24 PM
:lol:

that was great. operation enduring coma with larry king and liz taylor.:lol: that killed me.

:thumbsup:

Tricky
27-Jan-2008, 12:08 PM
On the subject of coins,Gordon clown has decided to remove all british symbolism from our currency over here,such as the britannia one which has been on british currency for 300 years :rolleyes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=510614&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

can we pleeeeeeease get this absolute arse out of office :mad:

Chic Freak
28-Jan-2008, 09:30 AM
lol @ Daily Mail :rolleyes:

Although am I the only one who thinks that having a big cannabis leaf on the back of our 50p coins would be kind of cool?

On a serious note, if the design on the back of your 50p changing genuinely shakes your sense of having "British values" (as the article puts it), you need to get a grip on yourself.

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2008, 10:25 AM
I heard about this coin crap on t'news t'other t'day...:p...anyway...

Why meddle with this? Why trot out the "British" line every chance you get, while lambasting the British public for not being patriotic enough (*ahem* Queen's 50th, anyone? *ahem*), and then seek to change our coins by removing a slice of history from them?

Why not just, I duno, leave it alone? Why bother meddling with something that's perfectly fine as it is. I'd hate to think how much this garbage will cost if it happens, surely the money could be put to better use? (Kinda ironic, considering the subject matter, but hey...:D)

Then they say it'll make a return on the coins in the future - WHY CHANGE IT AT ALL THEN YOU NUMPTIES???!!! :rolleyes: "Wasted money" much?

Symbols mean a lot to people, so I think it's important. It's a shame that it has to take an affront to British symbolism to bring out the patriotism ... something we as a nation use selectively and with reserve.

I wonder if Gordon Clown's (nice one, Tricky :D) idea of 'proper' (to him) patriotism is for us all to wear nothing but Union Jacks and march around all day as if it was the Coronation - even if not, he clearly doesn't understand British sensibilities.

I do wonder, with him being a Scot (a presbyterian as well isn't it?) if he's not just dissing England at any chance he gets, keeping things like this hidden and behind closed doors ... you do wonder, if the Northern Rock thing had happened to a bank in the South, would the same government clout be behind it? ... and this is coming from me - I'm Scottish for crying out loud!

And as a Scot, let me say that Darth Clown is an utter affront to Scotland.

Or in really simple terms, I think Darth Clown is a c*nt. :D

Chic Freak
28-Jan-2008, 10:31 AM
...he clearly doesn't understand British sensibilities.

What are British sensibilities? I agree that there is no point in changing the design of the coin, but I don't see why it's such a big deal.

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2008, 01:56 PM
What are British sensibilities? I agree that there is no point in changing the design of the coin, but I don't see why it's such a big deal.
To you maybe, but clearly it is to many people.

It's a symbol of Britain, and disrespecting a symbol by getting shot of it is an affront to those who invest in said symbol, to those who depend on it to be there as, well, a symbol.

It's hard to explain, but it's also a dangerous precedent. The slippery slope kind of thing, if you just poo-poo the symbol and don't care about it, then what, the flag, the currency itself, then you might as well say the entire globe be governed under one identical set of laws and we all become one big samey blob of purplish-brown-with-red-streaks (like when you smush paint together).

It's like with religion, I don't see the point in it, and I don't like religion for the most part. But I understand why it's a big deal to those who have faith, I get the importance of it.

And my sensibilities comment, I was trying to say that Darth Clown doesn't have the foggiest idea what the British public think and feel. He's a right plonker.

Mike70
28-Jan-2008, 03:11 PM
so if understand MZ, tricky and if i read tricky's link right this would be rather like removing the eagle from the back of the quarter along with the words e. pluribus unum (although while the state quarters are being issued that is on hiatus but is still the classic, default design) permanently and replacing with some modern "interpretation" thereof.

does anyone have any idea of what this "modern" desgin is going to be?

the article says it is part of a redesign by the royal mint but what i don't understand is why the radical departure? the US dollar was completely overhauled but you can still easy recognize all of the classic features of each bill.

Staredge
28-Jan-2008, 03:38 PM
Y'all gonna be Muslim here pretty soon anyway. Wouldn't worry too much about it. :eek:

I have a long and enduring love for the British Empire. (My family were Loyalists) Until just after WWII. Seems like y'all keep forgetting where you come from. Embarrassed by Empire?? Why? Accept that there were some negative effects, be proud of the good parts. Don't just dustbin the whole thing. (Don't get me started on the whole EU thing)

I've rolled my eyes a few times at some of Minion's posts, but you hit it spot on this time. Too many people can't figure that out, and these days a vocal minority with enough indignant outrage trump the majority.

If you really can't understand, know this. A WHOLE lot of good young men died to defend that "symbol" and what it stood for. You may not agree with them, but they died so that you COULD disagree with them. They deserve to have a voice in this argument.

Will

SoCalLoco
28-Jan-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a long and enduring love for the British Empire. (My family were Loyalists)

You know where the door is, pal. Get to stepping. How can you call yourself American in good faith and claim to be a loyalist?

Your ancestors should have been tarred, feathered and ran out of town on a milk cart.

kortick
28-Jan-2008, 06:06 PM
God SoCal,

I'll admit I agree with a lot of the things you say.

But not the insulting way you say it.

Staredge didnt do anything himself to have his family
be slammed like that.

And yes I know, you are well within your rights to
say what you feel.

But sometimes the sledge hammer isnt always needed.

You have pounded on Mo, Chic, and now Staredge
all really good people.

Nobody insults you, why do you do it to others?

Mike70
28-Jan-2008, 06:09 PM
ummm guys weren't we talking about changing currency?

seems like yet another thread going off the deep end...

oh and kortick i've decided to stop responding to a certain persons posts. i don't think we should give him anymore ammunition. he has a nasty way of saying things and we all know it. so silence might be the best reply until he proves he can spend at least ten minutes of everyday in a rational manner.

Staredge
28-Jan-2008, 06:23 PM
You know where the door is, pal. Get to stepping. How can you call yourself American in good faith and claim to be a loyalist?

Your ancestors should have been tarred, feathered and ran out of town on a milk cart.

I didn't claim to be a loyalist. I said my family were loyalists. There's a difference. Get over it. (although it does make my long & undying admiration for the Founding Fathers a bit uncomfortable)

And they didn't have to get run out.....they went to Canada. Came back during WWII. So there. :moon:

Will

Oh yeah (where's that 'beating a dead horse' smiley again???) by the way.....

my family on my Mother's side fought for the Union during the Civil War, even though they were from Tennessee. Little more respect oughta be poppin' up there slappy.....might not even BE a USA to throw me out of if it wasn't for my family.

Mike70
28-Jan-2008, 06:29 PM
oh well if it is going to happen anyway might as well enjoy it.

let me get comfortable here:

http://alicia-logic.com/capsimages/gq_021FredFlies.jpg

Staredge
28-Jan-2008, 06:33 PM
oh well if it is going to happen anyway might as well enjoy it.

let me get comfortable here:

I'm sorry. I should know better than to feed the trolls. :o

But I kinda like it.

Mike70
28-Jan-2008, 06:44 PM
no problem. your not the first person to be antagonized by a certain poster- and unfortunately probably won't be the last.

i think that about half of fred's appearances involve snits started by him.

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2008, 06:59 PM
I've rolled my eyes a few times at some of Minion's posts

:confused: Bit confused, you've only just joined. What posts inspire your eyes to run in circles? :eek::shifty:

Kaos
28-Jan-2008, 07:28 PM

Have a nice vacation. His post clearly said that his ancestors are loyalist, yet you ask him to leave because he is a loyalist. Too broad of a jump in logic to come off as anything but baiting. Tons of Americans love the UK. Asking them to leave here or the U.S. is harassment.

Mike70
28-Jan-2008, 07:30 PM
Have a nice vacation. His post clearly said that his ancestors are loyalist, yet you ask him to leave because he is a loyalist. Too broad of a jump in logic to come off as anything but baiting. Tons of Americans love the UK. Asking them to leave here or the U.S. is harassment.

does this mean that i need to get one of my gift baskets prepared for you?:D i see that it does - a round of applause for kaos everyone!

Staredge
28-Jan-2008, 07:40 PM
:confused: Bit confused, you've only just joined. What posts inspire your eyes to run in circles? :eek::shifty:

:D I don't remember right off hand. I've been reading the forums for a couple of months now, just never got around to joining. Prob'ly something political!!!! :stunned:

Wow. Someone got banned on my account??????

HOW COOL IS THAT??????????:D:thumbsup::hyper::lol::elol::evil:

I haven't done that in a long time!!!!!!

Mike70
28-Jan-2008, 07:45 PM
this thread has obviously come completely off the rails, even with the joyful occasion it has prompted.

i'd like to suggest that it be locked. i don't think anything more can come out of it.

Kaos
28-Jan-2008, 07:47 PM
this thread has obviously come completely off the rails, even with the joyful occasion it has prompted.

i'd like to suggest that it be locked. i don't think anything more can come out of it.
Sounds good to me. Kortick, let me know if you want it re-opened.