PDA

View Full Version : Review at AICN

Neil
26-Jan-2008, 12:32 PM
Shame the guys carriage return wasn't working!!

So let us get right into it. First, I caught a screening of George A Romero's Diary of the Dead. It would be impossible to not want to think it's Cloverfield with zombies, but really DOTD has very little in common with Cloverfield other than the cameraman constantly saying things like "I'm just going to keep on filming so someone can see what REALLY happened". The plot is pretty simple with Diary of the Dead, some students are making a movie for their class at Pitt University, and the zombie apocalypse goes down. Well, most of the crew wants to find their loved ones and they start off in a RV to do so. From there everything goes down the crapper. But do you care about the story or the kills. Before the movie started, I said to my brother who went with me, "As long as there are three good zombie kills, then I'll be happy." Well, there are more than three and I don't want to spoil any of them, but let me say this: Amish zombie warriors should be in every zombie movie ever made from now on. As a hu! ge hater of Romero's Land of the Dead, which I looked forward to from conception, I was wary that he would continue on his downward trajectory. Well, fellow haters, I would say that Diary of the Dead is a huge step up from Land of the Dead. Going back to a smaller budget and a smaller story was a wise choice, and I say that I would gladly pay to see the sequel.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35408

3pidemiC
26-Jan-2008, 07:14 PM
Always good to hear! I can't wait!

Dead Hoosier
26-Jan-2008, 09:20 PM
Awesome:D

Mike70
26-Jan-2008, 10:28 PM
Amish zombie warriors should be in every zombie movie ever made from now on.

if anything has ever made me want to see a movie, it is this statement.:D

agree about the carriage return issue. nice review but if it had been much longer i might have gone cross-eyed.

Danny
26-Jan-2008, 10:56 PM
bring it the.****.on.

this, cloverfeild, dark knight and rambo are the must see movies for me this spring.

Zombie Snack
27-Jan-2008, 11:08 AM
cant wait for it

DjfunkmasterG
27-Jan-2008, 07:42 PM
Well it is nice to read that someone who loathed Land of the Dead says this is a huge step above LAND. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, which may mean that our beloved George is back.

clanglee
28-Jan-2008, 09:28 AM
Well it is nice to read that someone who loathed Land of the Dead says this is a huge step above LAND. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, which may mean that our beloved George is back.

exactly what I was thinking.:D

bassman
28-Jan-2008, 12:03 PM

He never went anywhere.:p

clanglee
28-Jan-2008, 07:35 PM
Yes he did, he went down a dark and terrible path that many of us were unwilling to follow him down. :p

bassman
28-Jan-2008, 07:50 PM
It is unfortunate that you guys don't wish to see it for the decent movie that it is.:hyper:

Seriously though.....even though I like Land, it does have it's flaws and I'm glad to hear that Diary is moving up a notch. Always good to have Romero back at his roots.

Trin
28-Jan-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm planning to keep my expectations low and not judge anything for 20 years. :hyper: :p

Legion2213
28-Jan-2008, 10:55 PM

Damn straight. Bring it on!

Yojimbo
29-Jan-2008, 12:22 AM
I am looking forward to this one and plan to be there on opening day.

Yeah, I knew that since Cloverfield came out first that there would be the inevitable comparisons. Glad to hear it is a step up from LAND, though unlike many fans I didn't hate LAND though freely admit it was not GAR's best work for whatever reason. (Just my opinion, no need to restart the flame war, I can respect those who thought Land was the best film or the worst film ever!)

Danny
29-Jan-2008, 12:39 AM
man id just be excited to see a romero flick intheatres, i missed out on land.

Moon Knight
29-Jan-2008, 07:57 PM
I simply cannot wait for this flick! :D

Doc
29-Jan-2008, 09:46 PM
UH OH! I think I'm getting my exceptions high now.....that's bad:annoyed:

hadrian0117
30-Jan-2008, 12:10 AM
if anything has ever made me want to see a movie, it is this statement.:D

agree about the carriage return issue. nice review but if it had been much longer i might have gone cross-eyed.

Finally, after all the zombie films set in Pennsylvania we get Amish zombies!