PDA

View Full Version : Grindhouse DVD...

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2008, 04:10 PM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/10773

How come the Japanese are getting this 6 disc affair first? That's rather odd, not to mention annoying...even though discs 1 through 4 are just the two separate two discs editions of each film.

Still, for frig sake, just give me a proper Grindhouse DVD to buy easily you pesky Weinsteins! :eek:

acealive1
26-Jan-2008, 06:48 PM
cuz we're not crap to the movie industry in which the film was made. they want to sell us out to give a foreign market the best stuffa and then wonder why we arent scampering to grab the one disc they give us

ProfessorChaos
26-Jan-2008, 07:50 PM
holy $hit! 6 discs? that seems a little excessive.

i'd be fine if they released a deluxe 3 disc edition here in the states.

MinionZombie
27-Jan-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm confused by the 6 discs as well, judging by the extent of the separate releases extra features, you could have both sets crammed onto one disc, which brings it all down to 5 discs...I duno...

Point is though - give us Westerners a proper release of Grindhouse on DVD, especially us Brits who didn't even get to see the f*ckin' film in the cinemas properly.

Heck, Death Proof was only in my local multiplex for two measily tight-arse weeks, I was planning on seeing it but it was gone no sooner than it had arrived! :(

*grabs placard*

Gimme my deluxe Grindhouse DVD now, you bastards!

capncnut
28-Jan-2008, 07:54 AM
Gimme my deluxe Grindhouse DVD now, you bastards!
I don't miss the film to be honest. If they wont give the proper version a release then why should I buy in any other shape. As far as I'm concerned, if I get desperate to see it then I shall simply download it and they will lose more money, simple as that.

As for a six DVD set, I think a four DVD set would be enough. There's no way I'm coughing up fifty quid to see the proper version, even if it does get released over here.

Cykotic
28-Jan-2008, 09:34 AM
pesky?

i've never heard that word in so long... you're showing your age!

no... wait.... i'm older....

DAMN!

MinionZombie
28-Jan-2008, 09:59 AM
Only by a year or mere months, my friend. :D

Anyway, I was thinking last night. Apparently RR said that there's going to be a 2-disc Grindhouse theatrical Region 1 DVD release...I wonder if that release is going to essentially be discs 5 and 6 from this Japanese 6-disc set?

Because discs 1 through 4 are just what has already been released separately in America - and now in the UK (well, Death Proof at least) - to round it off, they'd just need to pimp out discs 5 and 6 together in a new set.

Still though, it would mean having to buy the separate releases too, for the Grindhouse completists here (e.g. me) ... although indeed, I acquired the extended versions of both because I was holding out for the proper DVD release...but I bet I'll still have to get the separate ones for completion's sake. :rolleyes:

bassman
13-Feb-2008, 12:48 PM
Apparently you folks across the pond may be getting a select few chances to see the film in it's original format. First being hosted by Edgar Wright and then a few other times/places. This is taken from Wright's Myspace:

Because you demanded it, you lucky people in London (or with access to the Old Smoke via plane, train or automobile) can see GRINDHOUSE in its original double bill form at the fantastic Prince Charles Cinema on Saturday March the 8th at 8pm.

That's right. The whole bloody affair, including MACHETE, THANKSGIVING, WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE S.S. and of course my very own DON'T on the big screen where it belongs (ie: not on You Tube).

I will be there, presenting this special preview, that precedes a general release from Momentum around the country from March 28th; either in the form of one day specials or late night screenings.

So you literally have no excuses if you can make it.

PRINCE CHARLES SITE - BUY TIX

See you there. It will be fan-f*cking-tastic.

Edgar

p.s. Comments along the lines of "why isn't this happening in Glasgow / Cardiff or Pencil Bluff, Arkansas" will
be, as ever, ignored. I cannot be everywhere at once as, alas unlike Young Darth or Billy Elliot I am not and will probably never be a JUMPER....

Even if you've seen the two films seperately or "acquired" the original film, I HIGHLY recommend you see this on the big screen. You can't get this experience from a monitor or TV...

capncnut
13-Feb-2008, 01:39 PM
Good stuff, I might look into this.

MontagMOI
13-Feb-2008, 02:52 PM
Apparently you folks across the pond may be getting a select few chances to see the film in it's original format...

I noticed a while ago that Grindhouse had been through the BBFC as a 'whole' on the 11th Jan 08 with a running time of 190m 53s:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/FBA67E575194E726802573D00032C973?OpenDocument

Death Proof had been given an 18 cert on 8th June 07
Planet Terror had been given an 18 cert on 2nd October 07

MinionZombie
13-Feb-2008, 03:07 PM
If this comes to my local mega-cine-plex-house I'll go and check it out, if not then f*ck 'em, I'll be waiting for the proper DVD release ... cinema visit or no.

Good find though bassman. I wonder when this apparenty Region 1 special edition theatrical cut DVD is coming out though.

bassman
25-Mar-2008, 05:50 PM
Some more dates according to Wright:

UK GRINDHOUSE TOUR - FROM 28TH MARCH

Curzon Soho Midnight Movies - Friday 28 March - SOLD OUT
Prince Charles Cinema London - From Saturday 29 March
Ritzy Brixton - From Friday 28 March
Everyman Hampstead - 30 March
Grosvenor Glasgow - 28 & 29 March
Cinema City Norwich - 28-30 March & 3 April
Odeon Manchester Printworks - From Friday 28 March
Odeon Basingstoke - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Cardiff - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Dundee - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Dunfermline - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Kingston - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Lee Valley - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Leicester - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Norwich - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Southampton - 28 & 29 March
Odeon Surrey Quays - 28 & 29 March
Vue Acton - 28 & 29 March
Vue Birmingham Star City - 28 & 29 March
Vue Bristol Cribbs - 28 & 29 March
Vue Cheshire Oaks - 28 & 29 March
Vue Croydon Purley Way - 28 & 29 March
Vue Finchley North - 28 & 29 March
Vue Finchley Road - 28 & 29 March
Vue Fulham - 28 & 29 March
Vue Greenwich - 28 & 29 March
Vue Islington - 28 & 29 March
Vue Leeds Light - 28 & 29 March
Vue Leicester - 28 & 29 March
Vue Plymouth - 28 & 29 March
Vue Portsmouth - 28 & 29 March
Vue Reading - 28 & 29 March
Vue Romford - 28 & 29 March
Vue Shepherds Bush - 28 & 29 March
Vue Swansea - 28 & 29 March
Empire Basildon - 28 & 29 March
Empire Newcastle - 28 & 29 March
Showcase Bristol - From Friday 28 March
Showcase Manchester - From Friday 28 March

More screenings/venues to follow.

More info at Empire Online & Frightfest. co. uk!

And as you can see, there are more dates to follow. Man I hope this happens in the states. There's no way I would miss seeing the whole film in theater again....

axlish
25-Mar-2008, 07:23 PM
The full cut of Grindhouse is on Starz this month, and is on their on demand as well.

bassman
25-Mar-2008, 08:16 PM
The full cut of Grindhouse is on Starz this month, and is on their on demand as well.

You sure? I've seen both films seperately on Starz, but not the whole double bill with the trailers,advertisements,missing reels, etc.

They label them as "Grindhouse Presents: Robert Rodriquez's Planet Terror" and "Grindhouse Presents: Quintin Taratino's Death Proof".:rolleyes: Possibly the most pointless titles EVER....

axlish
25-Mar-2008, 08:31 PM
Positive. They can also be seen separately like you said.

Grindhouse

370 STARZ
Mon, Mar 31, 12:45a - 4:00a
Filmmakers Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez pay tribute to 1970s-era exploitation films with "Death Proof" and "Planet Terror," plus fictitious ads and movie trailers. Image courtesy of 2007 Dimension Films/The Weinstein Company
2007 | R | 195 mins | * * *
Parental Guide17+ yrs

Grindhouse Monday 12:45 AM 370 STARZ Monday 12:45 AM 369 STARZHD Monday 12:45 AM 419 STARZHD Monday 3:45 AM 373 STARZP Monday 9:00 PM 370 STARZ Monday 9:00 PM 369 STARZHD Monday 9:00 PM 419 STARZHD Tue, Apr 01 12:00AM 373 STARZP

bassman
25-Mar-2008, 08:52 PM
Awesome. That's definitely a DVR job right there. Until we get the dvd, that is.:mad:

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2008, 09:09 PM
Awesome. That's definitely a DVR job right there. Until we get the dvd, that is.:mad:
I know! How come the Japanese of all people get the full on 6 disc treatment?! Not racist at all, but it's so bloody random. It's an American film, and yet America doesn't get the bumper set first?! :confused:

Grrr, I just want the full set damnit! This whole Grindhouse release has been one botch after another. :rolleyes:

bassman
11-Aug-2010, 06:44 PM
It's been three years since the theatrical release and we're FINALLY getting a proper dvd/br treatment!

Grindhouse Special Features Include:

Disc 1 - Theatrical Exhibition

Grindhouse Feature: Planet Terror
Intermission Cards
Trailers
Don't
Werewolf Women of the S.S.
Thanksgiving
Grindhouse Feature: Death Proof

Disc 2

Planet Terror

Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Film School
The Badass Babes of Planet Terror
The Guys of Planet Terror
Casting Rebel
Sickos, Bullets, And Explosions: The Stunts of Planet Terror
The Friend, the Doctor, and the Real Estate Agent
Planet Terror Poster Gallery
Death Proof

Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof
Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke
The Guys of Death Proof
Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike
Finding Quentin's Gals
The Uncut Version of "Baby, It's You" performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Introducing Zoe Bell
Double Dare Trailer
Death Proof Extended Music
Death Proof Poster Gallery

Blu-Ray exclusive bonus features

Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Cooking School
The Makeup Effects of Planet Terror
The Hot Rods of Death Proof
From Texas to Tennessee: The Production Design of Death Proof
Trailers
Extended Werewolf Women of the SS trailer (with optional commentary by director Rob Zombie)
The making of Werewolf Women of the SS trailer
Extended Don't trailer (with optional commentary by director Edgar Wright)
The Making of Don't Trailer
Don't storyboard/trailer comparison (with optional commentary by Director Edgar Wright)
Don't storyboards still gallery
Don't poster
The Making of Thanksgiving trailer
New York Times talk with Quention Tarantino and Lynn Hirschberg at Comic-Con 2006 featuring the directors and cast of Grindhouse
Grindhouse Trailer Contest Winner Hobo with a Shotgun

http://joblo.com/dvdclinic/images/news/grindhouse-blu-ray.jpg

Releases October 5th. Just in time for halloween and TWD!:cool:

LouCipherr
11-Aug-2010, 07:15 PM
This whole Grindhouse release has been one botch after another. :rolleyes:

Sorta like the movie, eh? :shifty: :lol:

ProfessorChaos
11-Aug-2010, 09:15 PM
seeing this in theaters was a great experience, really enjoyed it. was likely to get the dvd if it had came out as this the first time, but i really didn't want to buy both film seperately....

both movies are on tv quite a bit, and i've seen both of 'em enough. no thanks, i'll pass....about 3 years too late.:bored:

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2010, 10:38 AM
It's been three years since the theatrical release and we're FINALLY getting a proper dvd/br treatment!

http://joblo.com/dvdclinic/images/news/grindhouse-blu-ray.jpg

Releases October 5th. Just in time for halloween and TWD!:cool:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

DVD gets fucked over AGAIN!

The only thing new in that package is the first disc. The second disc is just the respective second discs from the separate double-disc releases - which I've already got! :mad:

All the new content is on motherfucking Blu-Ray! :mad::mad::mad:

I'm fed up of DVD getting screwed over. The point in BR is the picture quality, not to screw over those buying DVDs. It was the same bullshit with Kick Ass and a whole list of new releases.

It's this kind of bullshit that's going to end up forcing me to get twatting BR - but seeing as I don't have the money to replace my televisions, that won't be happening for a long time.

FUCK BLU-RAY STEALING DVD EXTRAS.

LouCipherr
12-Aug-2010, 12:44 PM
All the new content is on motherfucking Blu-Ray! :mad::mad::mad:

(wait for it.... waaaaaait for it.....)

Now, MZ, shall we discuss this "I don't care about PQ, I want content" shit you're always babbling about when it comes to Blu-Rays? Hmmmm? :lol: :lol: :lol:

j/k dude, but you gotta admit, this is a hilarious coincidence.. :D

The reason DVD is getting screwed is the amount of data than can be held on the discs. Sure, they could put out a 10-12 disc set of Grindhouse on standard DVD so you can get all the extras, but what's the point? The movie was essentially a flop in theaters, so they're not going to invest that kind of $ into a boxset of 10-12 DVD's that they'll have to charge an insane amount of $ for and no one will buy, for a movie that was essentially a failure at the box office... The BR, on the other hand, they can cram so much more on there due to the amount of space the BR can hold and not have to charge as much for it as a standard DVD set.

It's not all about the PQ on BR's, it's also the... <ahem> "content" :lol:

bassman
12-Aug-2010, 01:29 PM
Lou's got ya there, MZ. Much more space on BR. A four disc dvd set can be fit onto one or two blu rays.

But what cool features they are! Didn't expect making of's, storyboards, commentary, etc on the trailers. I'll let ya know how it is.:moon:

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2010, 05:40 PM
*sigh*

At the time of writing this I'm about to create a new thread relating to the Blu-Ray situation ... you'll see what it's about in a few minutes.

UPDATE: Read on here - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?p=239726#post239726

As for 'if it was on DVD' - well they were fine with putting out a 6-disc DVD version in Japan ... no doubt the BR has more stuff than that, a couple of exclusives, but well ... hmmmmmmm. :rockbrow:

darth los
12-Aug-2010, 06:08 PM
*sigh*

At the time of writing this I'm about to create a new thread relating to the Blu-Ray situation ... you'll see what it's about in a few minutes.

UPDATE: Read on here - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?p=239726#post239726

As for 'if it was on DVD' - well they were fine with putting out a 6-disc DVD version in Japan ... no doubt the BR has more stuff than that, a couple of exclusives, but well ... hmmmmmmm. :rockbrow:

You know that it's all about the benjamins baby! :D

:cool:

LouCipherr
12-Aug-2010, 06:10 PM

Perhaps they did, but then we need to investigate how well Grindhouse did in Japan. If it made a lot of money there, it's no wonder they released that stuff on DVD there. Here in the US, we know how well it did, and it's no wonder it's not being released on a massive 6-12 disc box set. ;)

I'm glad you're looking into BR - I'll scoot over to the other thread now and see what you're up to. In all seriousness, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm glad you're looking into BR - I'll scoot over to the other thread now and see what you're up to. In all seriousness, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Maybe ... but it doesn't stop me being disappointed by having to be forced into this monetarily liberal position just so I can keep my Special Feature habit going ... me giving in to Blu-Ray is like giving into the fucking Borg. :p

LouCipherr
12-Aug-2010, 06:28 PM
Maybe ... but it doesn't stop me being disappointed by having to be forced into this monetarily liberal position just so I can keep my Special Feature habit going ... me giving in to Blu-Ray is like giving into the fucking Borg. :p

Hey, when you have bad habits like, for example, Zombie Man does - you have to pay for it... one way or another.. either by $$ or getting on your knees. :lol:

I understand your frustration at being almost "forced" to upgrade - I felt "forced" to get into BR when HD-DVD was the better format and I already had the player and 20 discs, but alas, there isn't shit we can do other than not adpoting it, but it's too late for that now.. too many people have bought into it to stop it now. :(

darth los
12-Aug-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey, when you have bad habits like, for example, Zombie Man does - you have to pay for it... one way or another.. either by $$ or getting on your knees. :lol:

I understand your frustration at being almost "forced" to upgrade - I felt "forced" to get into BR when HD-DVD was the better format and I already had the player and 20 discs, but alas, there isn't shit we can do other than not adpoting it, but it's too late for that now.. too many people have bought into it to stop it now. :(

me giving in to Blu-Ray is like giving into the fucking Borg. :p

Then you already know...

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE ! :elol:

C'mon lou. Howdid you not come up with that one man!?!

You must be sick or something. :lol:

:cool: