PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice...

mista_mo
28-Jan-2008, 05:12 AM
Basically, I don't know what to do in the situation I'm in..

Today, I came into work at 11:23pm (I work nights) and no one was there at all. I waited until about 11:30, and the cleaner let me in. I asked where the night leader was, and he said at home, and he'll be here soon. I punched in, and waited. At 11:50, there was only one person there with me (one of the other part timers) and I told him I wasn't staying. I had waited more then 20 mins for the leader to show up (he's supposed to be there for approximately 11:30), when I got fed up and left, and told the other part timer to tell the manager that i'd phone him in the morning.

Our leader is constantly late, anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour, and when we are late, we can't punch into the clock, so we have to sign the board. If we sign the board for the time we actually got into the store at, the leader comes along and tears the page out and tells us to write down we were on time (so he won't get in ****). I get home about 15 minutes ago (12:45) and my mom tells me he phoned, and sounded upset (as he can get in alot for **** for this).

Heres my main issue...it is a bit of a moral one. I like the guy, I like him alot. He's a great guy, and i'd count him as a friend tbh. He's done alot for me at the store, helped me go higher, and was part of the reason i got my raise, and He's taught me alot about the place. He can get in alot of **** if I tell the manager that he showed up 30 mins late again, and that he does this constantly. He could lose his job over it. I just can't do this anymore, i shouldn't have to wonder if my boss is going to show up for work, i shouldn't have to worry if he is drunk coming in (he's an alcoholic who is getting treated sometime next month).

I really don't know what to do. Should I bite the bullet and put up with a job that I hate, or should I tell the manager about whats going on? I truly am, for one of the first times in my life, completely unsure of what I should do. I'd feel VERY guilty if he lost his job over this, or if he got in assloads of ****, but at the same time, it's his fault for doing this. I'm also going to ask the manager if I can go back to days, but be guarranteed at least 30 hours a week (I have 40 or so now, and lord knows me and my mom need the cash). I asked my mom, and she told me that sometimes, the right thing to do is the hardest thing to do.

Thanks for any adice you have, i really appreciate it.

SRP76
28-Jan-2008, 05:25 AM
Just look for another job, while you continue on with the one you have. Once you get hired someplace else, you don't have to worry about this anymore.

Remember, YOU are the only person in the world that you absolutely can not do without. Take care of your needs first, because you can damn well bet that nobody else is going to.

acealive1
28-Jan-2008, 05:27 AM
i'd quit if he's gonna be a dIck about u showing up on time and he's ur MANAGER and shows up late. way to lead by example on his part,eh? :rolleyes:

it goes to show you that the dumb asses always get the top tier jobs

mista_mo
28-Jan-2008, 05:34 AM
yea, he's the night crew leader. He's been given **** about this before, he almost got fired. He would just disappear and not show up for work, but they Kept him. I just don't want to have it on my conscious that I caused someone to lose their job.

I'm going to goto Ottawa soon too look for a nice job...I ned something better you know? Theres very little here in my town jobwise (that pays what I make now, which is only 10.55 an hour at that).

Remember, YOU are the only person in the world that you absolutely can not do without. Take care of your needs first, because you can damn well bet that nobody else is going to.

I really like this, I'm going to think over this little snippet alot. Thank you very much SRP.

i'd quit if he's gonna be a dIck about u showing up on time and he's ur MANAGER and shows up late. way to lead by example on his part,eh?

pretty much. The thing is though, I can't afford to just quit. I can't afford to go back down to minimum wage either. We need the cash right now, and thats part of why i am having a hard time thinking this through.

SRP76
28-Jan-2008, 05:51 AM
As long as you have free time (which everyone has, no matter what they say), you can jobhunt without raising any suspicions.

It's important that your current employer doesn't know about it, though. The instant they find out that you're looking for another job, they always start to make your life miserable. Why they do this, I don't know, but it always happens.

As long as you can keep them from catching on, you'll have all the time you need to find a good job, rather than desperately grabbing the first thing that comes along.

Chic Freak
28-Jan-2008, 09:24 AM
You say he's getting treated for alcoholism sometime next month- will he even be in at work at all then?

Either way, it generally sounds like it couldn't hurt to start looking around for a new job.

slickwilly13
28-Jan-2008, 03:25 PM
Dude, find another job. You're young and jobs like that are a dime a dozen. This sort of reminds me of my frat. Them peckerheads lectured us, pledges for the longest time about being on time for meetings. They wanted us to show up at least 10-15 minutes early. I am the only one who does this. Our meetings last semester started every Weds night at 8:30. Then no one would show up, until 8:45-8:50. They cannot even start a f#cking meeting on time.:mad:

kortick
28-Jan-2008, 07:46 PM
Mo
I know I see things different from most people.

But actually I think you need to not be so upset.

If you can get there on time and punch in
and get paid for the time you are there
whether you are working or not,
or whether he is there or not
then its not really a problem for you.

you are still getting paid

so, you sit on your ass and get paid for doing nothing
until mr dipwad shows up.

besides it seems like its only a matter of time he
gets fired
management usually knows more than they let on.

just go to work on time
punch in, get your hours in
and let the situation with the manager get
handled by the people whose job it is to do so.

don't let his lateness make you have to cut your hours
its not your fault what he does

do what your job requirements are:
show up on time and punch in and be ready to work.

I like you Mo
I don't want you taking this guys problems on as your own.

Tied2thetracks
28-Jan-2008, 09:59 PM
Ok, you consider him a friend, I don't condone throwing friends under the bus. Your biggest gripe right now is that you get paid for sitting around and he covers you if you are late. Narcing him in my opinion make you look like a punk to your co-workers and not really help your situation.

Again on teh friend note, you say hes going into treatment, is insurance paying for this? I wouldn't want a friend to lose the chance to get help and at the same time give him more reason to drink.

I may not have to popular opinion but it is the one I stand by.

acealive1
28-Jan-2008, 10:14 PM
Dude, find another job. You're young and jobs like that are a dime a dozen. This sort of reminds me of my frat. Them peckerheads lectured us, pledges for the longest time about being on time for meetings. They wanted us to show up at least 10-15 minutes early. I am the only one who does this. Our meetings last semester started every Weds night at 8:30. Then no one would show up, until 8:45-8:50. They cannot even start a f#cking meeting on time.:mad:

agreed.

Legion2213
28-Jan-2008, 10:31 PM
No offense Mr Mo, but you say he's helped you out, got you a raise and helped you up the ladder...and you are thinking of snitching on him for his lateness...that's not good mate, not good at all IMHO

As others have said, you are still getting paid for the hours you work. Let it go.

If he gets busted or caught out by others, that's his own fault, but you don't don't need to be helping things along, the guy sounds like he needs some friends right now, not people stabbing him in the back.

That's just my opinion...sorry to sound harsh, but you asked.

Yojimbo
29-Jan-2008, 12:10 AM
Yes, brother. I would not go out of my way to snitch on your workmate -- he sounds like a flake and will probably get fired on his own.

I realize that you feel that you owe him some slack because he has looked out for you in the past. In this regard, I think the fact that you are putting up with a lot of his nonsense is payback enough.

Again, I would not narc to management, but I also would not do anything to jepordize my own position. In a way, this dude is doing exactly that - risking your position due to his incompentence. So in this regard, you COULD in fact narc him out and be justified karma-wise. All the same, I would not do this and instead let him screw himself out of his job.

I agree with those who have said that the best thing to do would be to go and look for another position. I would do this right away.

clanglee
29-Jan-2008, 03:20 AM
Yeah, I have to agree on the latter half of the people on this. Who cares if he is late? It makes you look all the better. He's your friend, why snitch? It doesn't benefit you to do so. Just let things be. Besides, when he goes to rehab, It could give you an opportunity to shine in his absence. Take up some of the slack, and management may notice, and you may benefit later. Basically, you are worrying way too much about it.