View Full Version : Clive Barker

Geophyrd
30-Jan-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey all, anyone else here a fan of Clive Barker's? I'm just in the middle of re-reading Imajica and its probably one of the best fantasy novels (as well as any novels) that I've ever read. Its amazing.

So, Clive's been working on a book called The Scarlet Gospels which is the concluding work concerning two separate series, the Harry "I'm Not John Constantine" D'Amour (Scott Bakula in the Lord of Illusions movie) and Pinhead. I've been hearing about it for years now and today went looking for info. Still no publication date, although according to this (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080102.wxbarker02/BNStory/Entertainment/home?cid=al_gam_mostview), the novel stands at 4000 handwritten pages. Nice...anyhow, thought I'd share the link. If you go directly to GlobeAndMail, it demands payment for the article. The link above (and here (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080102.wxbarker02/BNStory/Entertainment/home?cid=al_gam_mostview)) should get you to it for free.

kortick
01-Feb-2008, 03:00 AM
I met clive barker back in oh god 89?
He signed my copy of great and secret show
and some other books i had

he was a really nice guy and took time to
answer a few questions i had about some stories
from the books of blood

and he didnt just give me toss off answers
he looked right at me and listened and then
he explained exactly what i was asking

not at all like some other authors i met
Dean Koontz has the worst wig ever.

I used to manage a book store and we did a lot
of signings and some of them were jerk wads

the only other two who were as cool and laid back
was George Romero and Stephen King when I met
them at the premiere of creepshow way back in time.
Both of them were funny and cool.

Geophyrd
01-Feb-2008, 12:22 PM
to the managers of Clive's website...here's the reply I got this morning:

Hi XXXX - thanks for your note.

You're right, Scarlet Gospels is largely written and just(!) needs Clive to write a final 4,000 page draft.

Last year, Clive found himself rather embroiled in the darkness of the book and needed to take a break from it. Putting it to one side, he wrote a short novel, Mister B. Gone, which was published in October 2007. He has now returned, not to Scarlet Gospels but to the third book in his Abarat series - he is currently on the penultimate draft of that. He plans to go straight into Abarat Book 4 once it this is finished, so Scarlet Gospels remains on the back burner for a little while yet, it seems.

We hope that helps?
All best wishes,

Phil & Sarah
www.clivebarker.info

And I met King some years ago. He's a genuinely nice guy.

Mike70
01-Feb-2008, 02:30 PM
first off i love clive barker's stuff, particularly his short stories. have you heard that books of blood is going to be turned into a film? i haven't heard what stories have been chosen or a lot of details but i will dig the article from fangoria news out in a few and post it.

kortick is right - clive barker is very nice. i've met him twice and we was as cool as the other side of the pillow to everyone.

EDIT: here is the promised link to info about the books of blood film. the stories being done are "book of blood" and "on jerusalem street."

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5743

kortick
01-Feb-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah the books of blood would be like a creepshow type movie

Clive Barker is really wild in his writings and you wonder how
they would pull them off in a movie.
and which stories would they choose?

and scip you seem to like cats so here

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/kortick/1174325578-ZombieKittyStatic_copy_b.jpg

Mike70
01-Feb-2008, 05:08 PM
you wonder how
they would pull them off in a movie.
and which stories would they choose?

see my post just above yours. there is link to a news story about the movie. the stories chosen are "book of blood" and "on jerusalem street."

and you're right i love cats...

Relic
02-Feb-2008, 04:04 AM
Let's hope this movie is better than the other "Books of Blood" story -- Rawhead Rex. Terrible movie.

I *wish* they'd adapt "In the Hills," but that would take some slick special effects.

I rate Barker as one of the best short story writers of the 1980s. His fiction has the same impact on horror in the 80s as Harlen Ellison's short work did sci-fi in the '60s. Until recently, the only long novel I'd read of his was "Damnation Game," which I liked alot. I recently completed "Coldheart Canyon," and was mesmerized by it. Barker, truly, is a gifted writer.

Mike70
02-Feb-2008, 04:17 AM
I *wish* they'd adapt "In the Hills," but that would take some slick special effects.

yeah boi!

in the hills, the cities is my favorite barker thing ever. i not only think that it is one of the best "horror" stories ever i feel strongly that it is one of the best written short stories ever.

and yes it would require some serious special effects.