PDA

View Full Version : A little write up on the finale of Y the last man (spoiler free)

Danny
31-Jan-2008, 12:36 PM
http://theundergroundslacker.blogspot.com/2008/01/wowjustwow.html

taken from my blog, for once no bitching....and 60% less grammatical errors.

Back in late 2002, when souring the dark back shelves of my local comic book store looking for copies of the walking dead i stumbled upon a comic that has remained criminaly underrated and yesterday printed its finale, after 6 years the story of Yorik, the last man alive came to its long awaited conclusion.
For those who havent heard of it, and shame on you by the way, The story begins with the titular last man, and his monkey companion ampersand, being the only two creatures on planet earth with a Y chromasone who arent suddenly and instantaniously killed off by some unseen plague or cataclysmic event of some kind or another.
I am a big fan of post apocalyptic "what if" type fiction and whilst thats what piqued my interest in this series it is by no means that simple a plot.
now i read a lot of comics and whilst im a fan of such comics as the walking dead i can afford myself to miss a few issues as i can live without knowing what happened. You couldnt do this with Y the last man. It was consistently fantastic from its outings in issue 1 back in 2002 to its finale at issue 60 this month in 2008, we followed yorik on his adventures across the globe dealing with cults, maniacs ,romances and the sheer wieght of the responsibility of being the only way for man to survive.
It was a comic that made you think and thankfully the final issue is no exception to the rule. I was sceptical that 6 years of such a high calibre of comic book could be summed up in one issue but i feel the creators did it with the skill i had come to expect, i was going to post a page or two but this is one issue that should have no spoilers released, you should just wait to read it for yourself. All in all it was a fantastic ending and though i stared at the last page, like a man realising he had said goodbye to a freind for the last time and was never going to see them again, i enjoyed the ride more than any other comic book ive read since the turn of the century.
If youve never heard, nor read this series i cannot strongly impress just how good it is in written verse, i simply recommend you go out and buy the first trade paperback and immerse yourself in one of the greatest storys of the 21st century.

DeadJonas190
04-Feb-2008, 07:02 AM
I couldn't agree more. Every issue that came out was the first I read off of my weekly comic stack.

I really am sad to see it end, but I knew it wouldn't go on forever.

p2501
06-Feb-2008, 02:24 AM
I think it ranks just behind Preacher in terms of satisfyingly epic finales. But yeah, it's a total pisser the series is done now. I think i'm down to Fell. Walking dead, and the punisher as my guaranteed monthly buys...

Danny
06-Feb-2008, 01:10 PM
i dont think i have any now, sure ill download scans of most of the recent marvel or dc releases and then buy anything wrorth buying but theres nothign there right now, ive gotten really tired of the walking dead as its gotten steadily more mad maxish, i think invincibles the ony comic i go out of my way to get every issue for now y's finished.

SuprJoinT
22-Oct-2010, 03:36 PM
I KNOW this is an old thread, but I also LOVED this book and cannot say enough about it. I have read the script for the film and must say it is HORRIBLE, imo.