PDA

View Full Version : Congresional Term Limits?

SRP76
03-Feb-2008, 12:14 PM
For mostly U.S. posters, but I'm sure international posters will have an opinion, as well (and could apply it to their own legislatures):

The Chief Executive (that's "the President", to you) is saddled with a two-term limit. 8 years, NO MORE. This ensures that the Executive branch of our (U.S.) government has plenty of turnover in power.

On the other hand, you have the House of Representatives and the Senate (which is where the real power is, in the first place. These are the people who make the rules and spend the money, not to mention require their approval in all moves made by the Executive branch). These jokers have NO term limit; theoretically, you can have "Senator for Life" labels.

Senators serve 6-year terms. Representatives serve 2-year terms.

I firmly believe that these people should have the same limits imposed upon them. For a Senator, 2 terms is enough. For a Representative, 4 terms is plenty. That's 12 years and 8 years, respectively. If a President can "live with it" only being in power for 8 years, than I think they can, too.

What do you think? Term limits, or let them stay forever?

Marie
03-Feb-2008, 02:21 PM
I firmly believe that these people should have the same limits imposed upon them. For a Senator, 2 terms is enough. For a Representative, 4 terms is plenty. That's 12 years and 8 years, respectively. If a President can "live with it" only being in power for 8 years, than I think they can, too.

What do you think? Term limits, or let them stay forever?

Okay, not that I don't agree with you, because I DO agree... but how are you going to get that bill past congress itself? They passed the Presidential term limits in responce to FDR's four terms, and would have to pass term limits on themselves. Think theyd do that or table it away?

M_

Khardis
03-Feb-2008, 02:25 PM
Absolutely! Case in point, Ted Kennedy!

SRP76
03-Feb-2008, 02:28 PM
Okay, not that I don't agree with you, because I DO agree... but how are you going to get that bill past congress itself? They passed the Presidential term limits in responce to FDR's four terms, and would have to pass term limits on themselves. Think theyd do that or table it away?

M_

Oh, of course I know it'll never actually happen.:D

I'm just asking if people think it should be.

....actually, there is hope! They finally did pass the Constitutional Amendment preventing them from getting the raises they give themselves during their current term.....it only took 210 years to ratify it.

MaximusIncredulous
03-Feb-2008, 03:30 PM
Absolutely! Case in point, George Bush!

Khardis
03-Feb-2008, 04:34 PM
Absolutely! Case in point, George Bush!

He's talking about congress, presidents already have a term limit. Follow along please.

SRP76
03-Feb-2008, 05:04 PM
I did some checking to see how many deadweight Congressmen there are. Meaning, the number of them that have already gone beyond the proposed 12 year (Senators) and 8 year (Representatives) limit.

The results are ridiculous:

42 Senators (that's 42% of the entire Senate)

243 Representatives (that's 56% of the House)

285 total (that's 52% of the entire Congress)

People love to bitch about Presidents, when they actually have marginal power. Here's the real problem.

You have more than half the damned lawmaking body of a country existing SOLELY to get themselves re-elected. They aren't tending to the business of helping the citizens of their country.

That leaves only 48% of Congress to actually....ahem....WORK!! How the hell do you expect anything to get done in this environment?!

Simple answer: you don't. The result is an impotent heap of useless crap that does nothing but spend our tax dollars on blowjobs and champaign.

And the alarming thing is, nobody seems to want to hold them accountable. Nobody pays any attention to them.

MaximusIncredulous
03-Feb-2008, 05:24 PM
He's talking about congress, presidents already have a term limit. Follow along please.

Whoops! My bad. Sorry :o

Nonetheless, considering the idiots that Washington seems to attract, term limits are definitely a good idea.

Mike70
04-Feb-2008, 12:24 PM
i am all for term limits. no reason that these people should get comfortable forever or rot in place like old strom. i am all for making way for newer, younger blood.

i also feel that there should be an upper age limit, beyond which you can no longer stand for public office -sort of like mandatory retirement ages that are in place in a lot of places. granted a the elderly population is going to do nothing but go up but i think there is a point at which the old can no longer represent the younger elements in the population they are representing - in short they become of of touch.

Publius
06-Feb-2008, 01:47 PM
I used to oppose term limits as undemocratic (let the people elect whom they want), but now I think the advantages of incumbency are just too great. In California we just yesterday dodged a bullet by defeating a ballot proposition (Prop 93) that would have extended term limits for most state legislators. With one vote I got to make sure that this year is the last year in office for forty-something of the most corrupt and useless state legislators -- more than a third of the total.

acealive1
06-Feb-2008, 02:40 PM
Whoops! My bad. Sorry :o

Nonetheless, considering the idiots that Washington seems to attract, term limits are definitely a good idea.

amen to that

Terran
06-Feb-2008, 07:09 PM
We should really be celebrating something that we all agree on....!!.....so far

clanglee
08-Feb-2008, 09:00 PM
We should really be celebrating something that we all agree on....!!.....so far

For real. I am amazed!! :stunned:

Arcades057
12-Feb-2008, 08:10 AM
Yes, yes, yes, GOD yes.

Let's get some new people into Congress. Hell, it couldn't get any worse.

SRP76
13-Feb-2008, 11:13 PM
More idiocy from the Congress!

Today, in addition to having Roger Clemens testify about alleged steroid use on his part affecting his BASEBALL career, Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter (another clown that's been in office WAY past the proposed term limit) is spending his time bitching and moaning and demanding an appearance from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, because he wants a full-blown Congressional investigation of FOOTBALL.

Now, tell me - I f*cking DARE anyone to tell me - that the United States Congress has nothing better to do than try to micromanage SPORTS!! Please!

Here's an idea for our so-called "lawmakers":

How about you do your f*cking JOB, instead of trying to tell others how to do theirs. The highest legislature in the country shouldn't be all over the sports news networks. What, there's no problems in this country that need fixing, you have to worry about baseball?

Congressmen = jackasses. Of the highest order.

ZombiePrototype
14-Feb-2008, 01:38 AM
I voted yes that members of congress, housed and senate, should have term limits because it would be nice to see if any of the newly elected officials could get anything important done but I have a strong feeling that they would just end up doing the same things as their predecessors who are wasting time on things like the congressional hearings for sports instead of taking care of important things.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

bd2999
14-Feb-2008, 11:40 AM
Without question they should. I think one of the things really wrong with the Congress overall is there is to much try to get people to vote for you and once they have they can do little. Not to mention that some of these guysh ave been in Congress since WW2 or something, its crazy! Not that there is anything wrong with old people but at times they are to stuck in their ways and not as willing to listen (not that young people areb ut I think they are more prone to hearing someone else).

I think a set term limit would be great to be honest with you. It would ensure that once someone got elected they would have time to do stuff before they went out again and they had an option or two for reelection and then they are done regardless. I think that would help things out a bit, because to me it seems like the system we have is notw orking. Although I am not sure at the moment if thats due to anything specific in the Constitution or if its just becuase the tw party system sucks.