PDA

View Full Version : Roy Orbison?

Terran
04-Feb-2008, 08:04 AM
I was watching this documentary the other day about the Traveling Wilburys.....

I never knew Ray Orbison was such an intersting character and cool person....*shrugs*....great voice too....bum hand delt to him as well...

Maybe this should be in the lounge though...since its less about "media" and more of just a random thought....mods move...*dance puppets dance*

capncnut
04-Feb-2008, 08:38 AM
"Candy coloured clown they call the sandman, for me Ben..." :D

On a serious note, I know what you mean. I saw a biographical documentary many years ago and felt bummed by his troubles 'cos he seemed such a nice guy, he was alive back then. The personal melancholia he felt was heavily reflected in his music and lyrics.

Terran
04-Feb-2008, 08:48 AM
What kindof bothered me...was that Lynch loves him as well....so I wondered do I only like him because of Lynch used this music in many of his movies.....or does Orbison fill similar psychological roles …or do I only like Lynch because of his use of Orbison ...but that cant be the case cause I hate the movie Pretty Woman...and if you have some imagination you can imagine how this thought process proceeded....soon I was wondering All sorts of bizarre things and comparing completely unlike things as if they were intrinsically linked...but anyways…..yeah Orbison was great….
his voice was effortless….died relatively early too….

capncnut
04-Feb-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I think if songs like Pretty Woman weren't attached to crap movies then such mindbending thought processes wouldn't be required. But it does help if an artist you like has a cool song that goes along with a cool film. Another one of Roy's I liked was 'Life Fades Away', which was the closing theme to Less Than Zero with Robert Downey Jnr.

Did you ever see Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black & White Night? It had Roy team up with some of his best friends, notably Jackson Browne, T. Bone Burnett, Elvis Costello, Billy Idol, Kris Kristofferson, K.D. Lang, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, on top of a whole bunch of others. It was one of the last things he ever did and the performance was absolutely top notch.

Terran
04-Feb-2008, 10:34 AM
Crap I hate Bruce.....but the rest sounds alright....Ill have to look into it...do they ever play it on TV ...or do you think my only chance is DVD/TORRENT/YOUTUBE.....?

capncnut
04-Feb-2008, 10:37 AM
At the time, it was one of the biggest TV studio concerts aired. I imagine you wont have much trouble buying/downloading the concert. There should be much footage on YouTube.

bassman
04-Feb-2008, 12:09 PM
I love the Wilburys. Good stuff. There's a nice little short section about them. on that Tom Petty doucmentary, "Runnin Down A Dream". Good watch.

capncnut
04-Feb-2008, 12:12 PM
I love the Wilburys. Good stuff. There's a nice little short section about them. on that Tom Petty doucmentary, "Runnin Down A Dream". Good watch.
I love the Wilbury's too. I want the box set that was released last year.

kortick
04-Feb-2008, 03:37 PM
Roy Orbison was great

Its really a cool thing that at the end of his life
he was getting the respect and recognition
he deserved.

And it was funny when they interviewed a bunch
of the wilburys after his death, when they were deciding
who would sing which parts any time they said "lets hear Roy sing it"
they rest would go " oh come on! nobody can sing it like he can"

And Lynch just has great taste thats all
He has always known how to use music wisely