View Full Version : My thoughts on Diary of the Dead

DjfunkmasterG
13-Feb-2008, 01:12 PM
Ok, we are less than 2 days away from Diary otD hitting theaters (Romero's 3rd Dead movie with a D in the title). So far I have watched the clips and the trailers and I am honestly more impressed with Diary just from the trailers than I was with Land based on the same content.

Now I was really looking forward to Land because it had been 20 years and the master was bringing us another dead flick, well to some of us he let us down, and to other he met expectations, but the overall feeling is Land did not deliver.

Now Diary, I walked in with very low expectations, and once some things started getting through I noticed that this has the look and feel of Romero's original Dead films. The trailers have looks great, the clips have been decent and I am proud to say that I am looking forward to this flick on Friday morning. I just hope it comes through and delivers.

I will post my review Friday afternoon once I get back, and the nice part is I am taking the girlfriend who has become an uber zombie fan, Shaun being her favorite film.

So I hope George pulls it off, and brings back the dead with style.

Deckard
13-Feb-2008, 02:07 PM
This board is still going to go into a flame war. I see the biggest problem being the college kids (Land it was the intelligent zombies). I don't know if Romero is marketing this to young adults and under, but the fanbase of his films is a little older. I want to personally see mature discussions like in Dawn and even Day. However, from what I hear so far, it could be quite the contrary. This is the one area I think most people who are fans will have a problem with. For what it's worth, I believe this movie will be better than Land (Big Daddy EH!) which I thought was ok. I am expecting less than Dawn, and Day. Come on George, prove me wrong!

3pidemiC
13-Feb-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey, I've turned my girl into a big fan too. ;)

I'll be there in Vegas on Friday. I took the day off.

I'm going in with an open mind.

Monrozombi
13-Feb-2008, 04:17 PM
This board is still going to go into a flame war. I see the biggest problem being the college kids (Land it was the intelligent zombies). I don't know if Romero is marketing this to young adults and under, but the fanbase of his films is a little older. I want to personally see mature discussions like in Dawn and even Day. However, from what I hear so far, it could be quite the contrary. This is the one area I think most people who are fans will have a problem with. For what it's worth, I believe this movie will be better than Land (Big Daddy EH!) which I thought was ok. I am expecting less than Dawn, and Day. Come on George, prove me wrong!

In regards to the college kids, George could be trying osmething different and have the zombie outbreak seen through the eyes of younger people. All of his other films have involved middle aged people (above 30) as the main protagonists.

Diary is a film of firsts for Geogre, the younger protagonists and the 1st person POV. This film seems to have him going back to basics and not trying to out do the last film in the series and I applaud him for this. This film should be classic Romero and I cannot wait for this film.

DubiousComforts
13-Feb-2008, 05:14 PM
This board is still going to go into a flame war.
There will be a huge flamewar over DIARY. No way there will be a positive consensus over this film. Undoubtedly, someone will go in with expectations of a zombie-epic-masterpiece and come out sorely disappointed. It just takes one person to start the bitching, label the film with a derogatory alternative title and all hell will break loose. It is inevitable.

bd2999
13-Feb-2008, 05:35 PM
I wont get to see it in theaters sadly but still looking forward to it alot. I sort of liked Land, except Big Daddy and the ending really (the zombies just walk off?). Anyway, I think it looks closer to the original dead films than Land was, and I think that is better off because it has humanity still going and has not become sort of a corrupt future where things become more fantasy.

Anyway, I can see the young people causing a bit of anger on some peoples part, but I am not sure that it should make that much of a difference. Romero just seems to be trying knew things. Land had mostly older folks and it did not seem to be everyones favorite. As long as the story is good and things work out I am all for it. The clips I have seen seem to make it look good to me so far. The only thing I can say against it is I don't like whatever camera is being used to film it. Sort of the generic camera anymore it seems but I always liked the grainier old stuff more, but that is just me and I will not hold that against the movie itself.