PDA

View Full Version : Upon second viewing...

thxleo
15-Feb-2008, 02:04 AM
I still didn't like it. And the camera drives me crazy! Monrozombi really liked it though. I think I might be the exception on this film. I don't care for it, but I think most of you will.

axlish
15-Feb-2008, 02:22 AM
I have no idea when I will see this. The nearest showing is in Orlando and I don't think I can bring myself to drive four hours to see it. I'll have to hold out hope that it shows up in our arthouse theatre here. :(

3pidemiC
15-Feb-2008, 06:19 AM
There is already an official thread for reviews.

Neil
15-Feb-2008, 08:10 AM
I still didn't like it. And the camera drives me crazy! Monrozombi really liked it though. I think I might be the exception on this film. I don't care for it, but I think most of you will.

If you want to do a bit more of a review use the review sticky (at the top of this forum).

And/or you can rate it in that thread...

Griff
15-Feb-2008, 11:41 AM
Wow, Lee, I didn't realize that you hadn't enjoyed it a first time. Perhaps you should watch the DAY remake and THEN reassess DIARY. I guarantee it'll add two or three stars to your evaluation.

Me? I totally went for it. As always, this is not the Romero zombie film you may have in your mind's eye. But I think it is the most innovative, resourceful, creative, humorous, clever and, perhaps most importantly, daring of the new wave of zombie films which, granted, ain't saying much when the competition is the RESIDENT EVILs and the simple-minded remakes, but for all its experimental teething troubles and lack of grace, its level of substance and sheer spirit is currently without peer. I've read many cheap shots at its production values and acting but considering it was made for about a quarter of HOUSE OF THE DEAD's budget, I don't see them as faults but merely as your standard budgetary restraints, neccessary compromises if you will, and certainly not vital make-or-break it ones at that. Not unless that 'Hollywood sheen' is what the viewer values most, in which case they were probably out of their element watching this flick in the first place.

But anyway, that's my take on things.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Feb-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow, Lee, I am shocked... you usually dig Romero's zombie stuff. I am not trying to be sarcastic, but I am truly shocked you didn't like it.

Danny
15-Feb-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow, Lee, I didn't realize that you hadn't enjoyed it a first time. Perhaps you should watch the DAY remake and THEN reassess DIARY. I guarantee it'll add two or three stars to your evaluation.

to be fair you shouldnt have to, a film should be judged on its own merits, odds are with damn near everything you can say "yeah but compared to such and such its great" but that still doesnt alter the calibre of movie your trying to alieviate any faults thats been found within it.

thxleo
15-Feb-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow, Lee, I am shocked... you usually dig Romero's zombie stuff. I am not trying to be sarcastic, but I am truly shocked you didn't like it.

Well, I don't think it's horrible. To me a so-so Romero film is light years beyond any other genre film. I just felt that Romero was repeating himself to a great extent. I'm not bashing the film at all. It's a very clever little movie and there are many things in it that I do like. Especially the hospital scene...it brought back some great memories of being on the set that night. It just was not what I wanted from George. But I'm glad that he takes chances and tries stuff like this though. Again, I think most fans will like it. The jerky camera stuff just takes me out of the movie. I hate that style of filmmaking. I really do. But that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
15-Feb-2008, 06:56 PM
Well sorry you didn't like it because I loved it. Romero REDEEMED is what i say. This is everything Land of the Dead should have been but was not. I loved the suspense, the story, the characters.... sure there were moments of ham fisted lines, but I thought it was well done considering how small the budget was for the flick.

Solid B+ 7.5 out of 10

Monrozombi
15-Feb-2008, 11:34 PM
upon second review I think Lee needs another review j/k.

I was surprised when you told me you didn't like it, it was surprising but then again not everything Romero does will appeal to everyone. and I agree w/ the comparison that a so-so Romero flick is head and tails better then about 95% of "horror" films today. I use the term horror lightly in that sense.

Griff
16-Feb-2008, 07:25 AM
to be fair you shouldnt have to, a film should be judged on its own merits, odds are with damn near everything you can say "yeah but compared to such and such its great" but that still doesnt alter the calibre of movie your trying to alieviate any faults thats been found within it.

I was actually joking but since you brought the point up, I think it can be argued that its impossible not to let other films influence your response to a movie. I believe that when Lee checks out DAY08, it will cast a slightly more favourable light on DIARY for him. Unless, of course, he actually likes DAY08 - in which case and quick and painless death would be the best thing for him.

Monrozombi
16-Feb-2008, 06:57 PM
I was actually joking but since you brought the point up, I think it can be argued that its impossible not to let other films influence your response to a movie. I believe that when Lee checks out DAY08, it will cast a slightly more favourable light on DIARY for him. Unless, of course, he actually likes DAY08 - in which case and quick and painless death would be the best thing for him.

if anybody watches and likes Day 08, their death should be anything but quick and painless