PDA

View Full Version : Now I've lost my faith in Ghost Hunters (TAPS)...

Neil
18-Feb-2008, 09:40 AM
We have a series here in the UK call 'Most Haunted'... Much of it (early) on came across as being legitimate so I was a big fan. However, it soon became apparent that some of it was being faked...

My attention then went to the US show 'Ghost Hunters'. Now this appeared to be far more 'for real'...

However, ONE clip got me worried. Infact it was a scene where on of the crew debunks some footage caught in one of the sessions. In a hotel a static camera in a room showed the bed clothes being pulled down. Amazing stuff! But as one of the more junior members pointed out, you could see a jump in the footage where the camera was being paused/stop-started.

Now, I would imagine the only people who would think of doing this is someone who is familiar with the hardware in question, which means on of the crew involved! If they attempted to fake this, what else :(

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 10:28 AM
Now, I would imagine the only people who would think of doing this is someone who is familiar with the hardware in question, which means on of the crew involved! If they attempted to fake this, what else :(
Neil, all of these shows are a load of old cobblers. If there was ever to be a real ghost show it would be incredibly boring; just a camera filming an empty room all night.

SymphonicX
18-Feb-2008, 10:39 AM
I know people who've worked on these shows....

here's a quote from one of them:

"nothing ****ing happens....we trawl through hours and hours of ****e only to cut into the bit where someone screams to make it feel scary...literally its so ****ing boring you wouldn't believe it"

Neil
18-Feb-2008, 10:57 AM
I know people who've worked on these shows....

here's a quote from one of them:

"nothing ****ing happens....we trawl through hours and hours of ****e only to cut into the bit where someone screams to make it feel scary...literally its so ****ing boring you wouldn't believe it"

Well, I still have some faith with 'Ghost Hunters'...

They seem to have come from a legit back ground, rather than Yvette Fielding (Most Haunted) who is basically just prostitute herself - ie: Selling here integrity and lying about her show for money... She really REALLY needs to be rediculed for the stupid antics she and her hubby pull...

Danny
18-Feb-2008, 10:58 AM
However, ONE clip got me worried. Infact it was a scene where on of the crew debunks some footage caught in one of the sessions. In a hotel a static camera in a room showed the bed clothes being pulled down. Amazing stuff! But as one of the more junior members pointed out, you could see a jump in the footage where the camera was being paused/stop-started.

cameras aint THAT hard to figure out, you dont have to be too tech savvy to get that stop and record do just that y'know, i mean why point it out if they did it?

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 11:13 AM
Yvette Fielding (Most Haunted) who is basically just prostitute herself - ie: Selling here integrity and lying about her show for money... She really REALLY needs to be rediculed for the stupid antics she and her hubby pull...
Well, she's an ex Blue Peter presenter so what do you expect. I'd watch what you say about her hubby Karl 'cos I hear he's a fully trained Samurai. :lol:

But I do understand what you mean with some of these shows. There are moments where some clips look legit but the thing is, it's always time lapse footage or something so far away and insignificant that it would be hard to tell what it is.

Neil
18-Feb-2008, 11:13 AM
cameras aint THAT hard to figure out, you dont have to be too tech savvy to get that stop and record do just that y'know, i mean why point it out if they did it?

Hmm.... Yeh....

Eyebiter
18-Feb-2008, 01:01 PM
It's basically a travel show. Free tour of the interior of great locations. Best one I've seen so far was the Winchester house in California. Always wanted to visit that place.

SymphonicX
18-Feb-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, I still have some faith with 'Ghost Hunters'...

They seem to have come from a legit back ground, rather than Yvette Fielding (Most Haunted) who is basically just prostitute herself - ie: Selling here integrity and lying about her show for money... She really REALLY needs to be rediculed for the stupid antics she and her hubby pull...

honestly mate, its all faked...

Neil
18-Feb-2008, 02:34 PM
honestly mate, its all faked...

So you recon ALL of 'Ghost Hunters' is fake?

SymphonicX
18-Feb-2008, 03:49 PM
just purely based on these shows and the types of producers they entail....I'd put money on it...!!!

Mind you I'm a huge sceptic in terms of the afterlife and ghosts...so take from that what you will!!!!

Neil
18-Feb-2008, 03:57 PM
Mind you I'm a huge sceptic in terms of the afterlife and ghosts...so take from that what you will!!!!

Me too...

BUT, 'Most Haunted' was an idea conceived by TV folks, and they clearly lie and cheat during the program in order to get their Aston Martins back at home...

'Ghost Hunters' is about a bunch of people who've been doing this for a while...

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 04:00 PM
At the end of the day, the very nature of the show makes it spurrious. You know, I can't say that everything about Ghost Hunters is false because there has been some truly compelling evidence but for every ounce of good footage is a ton of crap.

Sometimes the quotes they make are contradictory too. Like, "we're here to capture the evidence of life after death" and then say five minutes later, "we could have a ten ghosts do a Mexican wave in front of the cameras and no one would believe it."

So why bother? :rockbrow:

ZombieGrrL
22-Mar-2008, 10:34 AM
At the end of the day you have to remember that these shows are entertainment only. That includes Ghost Hunters, Most Haunted, Paranormal State, Dead Famous etc.

I believe that there's something "strange" out there but honestly, paranormal activity is rare - especially when there's cameras around. Most of the time absolutely nothing happens. If anything comes up on camera, most things you see can be explained.

At least Ghost Hunters don't "Ooooooh" at every orb captured. I like that.

With so many people involved in a production, it doesn't surprise me that something funny might happen. Accidentally? Perhaps. Intentionally? Probably. They have to get ratings, to make money for their Networks - otherwise the show(s) will be pulled and something that works will replace it.

99% of the shows is emotions, feelings, politics (fighting). But that's entertainment for you.