PDA

View Full Version : Metal thread

SymphonicX
18-Feb-2008, 04:49 PM
thread to discuss your favourite metal and recent purchases... :)

Last album I bought was by a Finnish band called pagan's mind (they may be norwegian but I dunno really) - its very very good, extremely listenable and well produced...!!

Mike70
18-Feb-2008, 05:00 PM
the metal bands that are permanent features in my itunes:

slayer
overkill
death
kreator
flotsam and jetsam
testament
anthrax (among the living, spreading the disease)
megadeth (peace sells and rust in peace)
sepultura (the stuff with max. the rest is trash in my opinion
obituary
mercyful fate
helstar
voivod
possessed
nuclear assault
metallica (the stuff from "kill em all" to justice-the rest is garbage. although the new record sounds good.)
apocalyptica - four classically trained celloist who totally rock out. if you have never seen refuse/resist by sepultura or creeping death by metallica (with the guitar solos) played on the cello, you are missing out.

what the hell here you go for anyone that has missed apocalyptica
dvy5I2yHZTs

as you can see i like the stuff from the 80s early 90s. i think that rocks the pants off modern metal, which i really cannot stand.

Danny
18-Feb-2008, 05:10 PM
i got a dragonforce mix disc off a freind wit the song:

operation ground and pound
soldiers of the wasteland
heart of a dragon
gods of ice
through the fire adn flames
storming the burning fields
fury of the storm
fields of dispair
cry of the brave
above the winter moonlight
dawn over a new world
valley of the damned
black fire
and were dragons rule

ive had it in my cd player on and off for about 4 months and im still tapping my foot and nodding my head to it, in a metal way of course. :lol: but yeah its one of the few bands lately were the novelty hasnt worn off.

SymphonicX
18-Feb-2008, 05:25 PM
i used to hang out with Herman Li - never really had a deep convo with him but at one point he was in my circle of friends - very nice guy actually.

As for megadeth, dave Mustaine sent my gf a birthday card when she was 13 or something...her mum used to manage all the big acts, elton john, george micheal, david bowie etc (funny story: david bowie walks into my gf's mum's office, sits in her chair and says to her "so, do you think I make a good receptionist?" to which my gf's mum picked up his leather jacket, put it on and said "so, do you think I make a good rockstar?!")

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 05:32 PM
I love old Metallica but I find it hard to be enthusiastic about them now.

I also like:

Cathedral
Entombed
Akercocke
Overkill
Mayhem
Mastodon
Carpathian Forest

etc.

Mike70
18-Feb-2008, 05:43 PM
I love old Metallica but I find it hard to be enthusiastic about them now.

same here. BUT i have a rough mix of the new record and hiring slayer's producer has definitely made a vast improvement in their sound. it isn't so glossy or FM radio sounding as the pieces of garbage know as the black album, load and reload. it even has guitar solos...

SymphonicX
18-Feb-2008, 05:45 PM
I stole Akercocke's girlfriend....fact!! One of the guys was going out with this Ukrainian girl and me and my then girlfriend stole her away and did nasty things to her....

man that was fun!

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 05:49 PM
same here. BUT i have a rough mix of the new record and hiring slayer's producer has definitely made a vast improvement in their sound. it isn't so glossy or FM radio sounding as the pieces of garbage know as the black album, load and reload. it even has guitar solos...
I really hope so because a return to their hard rocking roots is a good 17-18 years overdue.

I caught a couple of the new tracks on PooTube some time ago and while it definitely rocks, Hetfield's voice has noticeably deteriorated and lacks the roar of old. Fingers crossed mate.

I stole Akercocke's girlfriend....fact!! One of the guys was going out with this Ukrainian girl and me and my then girlfriend stole her away and did nasty things to her....

man that was fun!
You slippery little bugger, you. :sneaky:

_liam_
18-Feb-2008, 08:33 PM
AKERCOCKE SLAY WHOLE CONTINENTS OF ASS

It's funny how they hit the scene the exact year cradle of filth went ****

SATAN PASSED THE TORCH

Which one from akercocke did you steal the girl off?

Anyone heard the stench of redemption by deicide?

That's proper sh*t your guts out in sheer terror metal

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 08:45 PM
AKERCOCKE SLAY WHOLE CONTINENTS OF ASS
Damn. C**ting. Straight. :evil:

Danny
18-Feb-2008, 08:58 PM
oh, another one ive been listening to lately is turisas, though everyone else i know hates em :lol:

_liam_
18-Feb-2008, 09:15 PM
Funnily enough i just pointed Capncnut in their direction, i saw them at donny last year and thought they were top entertainment

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 09:20 PM
They ain't too bad actually. Commercial sounding but good.

Mike70
18-Feb-2008, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=capncnut;132848

Overkill
[/QUOTE]

ever seen these guys live? i've probably seen them more than anyother band - it would be them or testament (about whom i have a couple of interesting stories).

best metal show i ever saw was overkill opening for slayer 26 oct 1986, reign in blood tour at bogart's in cincinnati. it was a zoo.

2nd best would be slayer again on 25 aug 88. this one was awesome but got kinda ugly- barricades got torn down, bouncers got beaten up (not that that's bad), a riot damn near broke out- all because of me. quite touching in fact that so many people came to my aid when a couple of bouncers 3 times my size decided to act like dickheads and try to throw me out. tom araya and jeff hanneman managed to restore order though.

3rd - testament in 1990. chuck billy of testament darn near started a riot a bogart's. more problems with bouncers - bad ones this time. chuck billy stopped testament mid-song looked down at the worst offending bouncer (this is frozen in my memory) and said, "let me tell you something, fu**er. this sh*t isn't gonna happen. next one of our fans you dicks manhandle, i'm coming down there and we'll see if you can kick me out of here."

ah good times. to be a kid again.

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 09:33 PM
ever seen these guys live?
No, but I have many bootlegs. E.vil N.ever D.ies is one of my all time faves. :cool:

Mike70
18-Feb-2008, 10:01 PM
No, but I have many bootlegs. E.vil N.ever D.ies is one of my all time faves. :cool:

i think that "deny the cross" is my favorite tune by them.

MikePizzoff
18-Feb-2008, 10:33 PM
Stuff I've been listening to the most lately...

FIST
Tygers Of Pan Tang
Crumbsuckers
Gospel Of Horns
Merciful Fate
Morbid Angel (Alters Of Madness is always on heavy rotation)
Judas Priest (also ALWAYS on rotation)

I feel like I'm going to throw up every time I hear/read people talking about metal and someone brings up friggin Dragonforce. I can't stand any of those wimpy "fantasy metal" bands. I don't know why, but they piss me the frig off!!! :mad: On that note, my friend is moving in with Sam from that band... kind of gross considering she's 18 and he's like 30...

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 10:37 PM
kind of gross considering she's 18 and he's like 30
<keeps quiet> :D

Mike70
18-Feb-2008, 10:38 PM
Tygers Of Pan Tang

DAMN!

now there is a name i havent' heard in many, many moons.

speaking NWOBHM- i have been listening to diamond head a lot lately.

_liam_
18-Feb-2008, 10:51 PM
You guys like NWOBHM?

i've been constantly spinning the venom reissues from a few years back - the f*ckers have like twelve bonus tracks (ie nightmare, die hard etc) - plus the come in nifty slipcases - get them if you havent already.

also Metal Black by venom is better than you might think! new album soon, more excited about the tour tbh.

check dis
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/10/1576381/totallygayyq2.gif

Mike70
18-Feb-2008, 11:18 PM
You guys like NWOBHM?

yes sir i certainly do. the roots of the great thrash bands that came after.

Merciful Fate

"magic circles drawn after midnight
around graves to be opened.
he'll used a wand to raise the body
he'll ask the questions then burn the remains."

damn awesome tune that along with evil, black funeral, a dangerous meeting is easily one of fav songs by them.

MikePizzoff
19-Feb-2008, 12:53 AM
You guys like NWOBHM?

****in A right, I do. Along with the American/Canadian heavy metal bands that were totally influenced by the NWOBHM such as Anvil, Kulprit, and especially Witchkiller.

Mike70
19-Feb-2008, 01:08 AM
oh and there is one thing i forgot to mention in my posts on the crazy/great shows i've been to:

i was at a king diamond show in 1988 where a dude got killed in a fight. he got punched and fell back and cracked his skull on the floor and ended up dying in the hospital.

MikePizzoff
19-Feb-2008, 03:10 AM
i was at a king diamond show in 1988 where a dude got killed in a fight. he got punched and fell back and cracked his skull on the floor and ended up dying in the hospital.

Jesus.

One of the times I saw Maiden, back in I guess 03, my crew rolled up on a bunch of nazi's that were at the show. Mind you, it was a Tweeter Arena, so half of the show is under a roof, the other half is just free-roaming on a huge lawn. So we were on the lawn and battled a ton of racist assholes; full on brawl, must've been seriously about 50 people in all, fists flying everywhere while Dio's drummer was doing a drum solo...

Needless to say 1 of us went to the hospital for a broken nose... but we sent at least 5 of them to it with way worse injuries. None of them died, though, as far as I know...

EDIT: I forgot to add that those of the rednecks that weren't sent to the hospital were promptly kicked out of the show by a mob of security. Afterward, we were hunted down and thanked.

Mike70
19-Feb-2008, 03:37 AM
Jesus.

One of the times I saw Maiden, back in I guess 03, my crew rolled up on a bunch of nazi's that were at the show. Mind you, it was a Tweeter Arena, so half of the show is under a roof, the other half is just free-roaming on a huge lawn. So we were on the lawn and battled a ton of racist assholes; full on brawl, must've been seriously about 50 people in all, fists flying everywhere while Dio's drummer was doing a drum solo...

Needless to say 1 of us went to the hospital for a broken nose... but we sent at least 5 of them to it with way worse injuries. None of them died, though, as far as I know...

EDIT: I forgot to add that those of the rednecks that weren't sent to the hospital were promptly kicked out of the show by a mob of security. Afterward, we were hunted down and thanked.

like i posted above a bit ago, i precipitated a rather sizable brawl at a slayer show. i'll attempt to be brief.

i was crowd surfing. i got close to the barricade and this ass bouncer instead of pushing me back into the crowd (in accordance with all accepted practice at metal shows) tries to pull me over the barricade. well some of the folks up front try to pull me back a big tug of war starts (with me as the rope). one of this bouncers buddies comes over and i go over the barricade.

bouncer 1 screams in my ear "you're f**kin out of here." well unfortunately for these two cretins to throw someone out of bogart's they had to leave the safety of the barricade and head for one of the downstairs doors through a thin part of the crowd at the extreme side of the stage.

well i am fighting like a cornered animal. throwing punches, lashing out with kicks but these dudes are like 3 times bigger than me and they've got me. out of the corner of my eye i see my friends sasquatch (that ought to let you know how big he is) and roger (another huge dude) blasting their way through the crowd. they reach us and sasquatch lands one of the most tremendous punches i have ever seen on the bouncer holding me. lays the dude out flat.

while sasquatch turns his attention to the other bouncer ( while a couple of other bouncers are moving in on the brawl, roger picks me up like a baby and carries me into the dead center of the huge raging pit going on. he yells in my ear "no matter what stay close. if they follow us in here its going to be a fu*king meatgrinder."

we can see sasquatch battling like mad with like 3 dudes (he had already put 2 guys flat out on the ground at this point) and other folks are startiing to come to his aide. some of the bouncers foolishly enter the pit after roger and i. roger yells in my ear again "here we go. stay close." so these bouncers entering the pit just get mobbed. dude there's like 30 or 40 people (maybe more) battling it out in the pit with bouncers and roger is kicking ass and taking names. i;m throwing punches like mad too. the whole pit has descended into one giant fist fight - and the bouncers are losing.

my little brother (who was only 15 at time) was one of the folks who went and joined in the sasquatch segement of the brawl and ended up landing some shots of his own.

so at this point slayer stops playiing and tom araya and jeff hanneman are just screaming at the top of their lungs over the mic at the bouncers - stuff like "leave our fu*king fans alone you pigs" and all other manner of stuff.

meanwhile some of the dog brothers up in front decide to create even more chaos and start trying to rip down the barricade. so now the bouncers have more than they can handle. tom araya and jeff hanneman stop the folks from ripping down the barricade and the bouncers retreat back behind it.

there was a brief pause while the management threatened to call the police and slayer told them that if that happened they would never play bogart's again. slayer started playing again, finished the set and everything went back to normal (for a slayer show).

we got invited backstage afterward. got to smoke a fat one with jeff, kerry and tom and laugh about the whole thing.

the final score:
sasquatch- 3 bouncers laid out flat cold. a couple more driven off.
roger - at least 2 bouncers disposed of in the pit fight and untold punches thrown at others.
me -i ended up with a shattered pair of glasses, a black eye, a busted chin, a huge number of landed punches and kicks and we all got to party with slayer.

sasquatch was the best insurance policy ever. 6ft7 several hundred pounds of solid muscle and did not believe in fair fights. if you messed with one of his friends, you messed with him and that was your ass.

a grand night. ah to be 18 again.

acealive1
19-Feb-2008, 04:02 AM
<keeps quiet> :D

:lol::lol:

Irony.

MikePizzoff
19-Feb-2008, 12:56 PM
Scipio, that story was great. The detail you put into it made me picture it very vividly and seemed almost familiar.

Ah, I can't stand the bouncers at certain places that go on power trips. A friend of mine was once at an Exodus show and got beat up by bouncers simply for headbanging while against the barrier.

When I was a young teenager going to shows at this place in Philly called The Troc (watch Ultimate Revenge II with DEATH/Forbidden/Dark Angel/Raven to see the place) I was a really small kid so when the pits would get crazy I'd always try to seek refuge next to the huge biker bouncer dudes... but they'd always either pick me up and throw me into the middle of the chaos or shove me away from them and I'd get deck and sucked into it all. Dickweeds.

Mike70
19-Feb-2008, 01:14 PM
Scipio, that story was great. The detail you put into it made me picture it very vividly and seemed almost familiar.

Ah, I can't stand the bouncers at certain places that go on power trips. A friend of mine was once at an Exodus show and got beat up by bouncers simply for headbanging while against the barrier.

even after 20 years this is frozen in my memory and is somehting that my friends and i still talk about when we see each other. in fact one of the most vivid memories of my life is roger and i standing next to each other in that pit and fighting like mad.

tom araya said it best afterwards- "that's one for the good guys."

yeah it does seem like bouncers vary a lot from place to place. i've been to lots of shows where everything was laid back, the bouncers were actually letting folks have fun. BUT bogart's was always one of the worst. a lot of the bouncers there came from UC's football team and they thought they were hot sheyat and too cool for words. so you mix these idiots with thrash or punk fans and there could be certain, uh, problems.

_liam_
26-Feb-2008, 12:40 AM
The only trouble i've ever had with the beef patrol is being chucked out of the Purple Turtle for being pissed.

Today i've been listening the crap out of "Streetcleaner" by Godflesh. I see this record as a sort of spiritual sequel to "Scum" by Napalm Death.

It's SO RELENTLESSLY BLEAK, I love it. There's something so bleak, nasty and dirty about Thatcher era British extreme metal.

Slayer and Akercocke and King Diamond rule with their phantasmagorical trappings and all, but there's something all the more unsettling about the gritty, down to earth realism of Streetcleaner.

I think that's ultimately why the Metallica/Pantera type of band wiped out Fantasy stuff (eg Dio) and Cock Rock as major commercial forces - it goes back to the basic delta blues tradition of singing about day to day things, which is something that resonates with people more readily than songs about dragons and ****, and as such lends greater gravity to the songs.

I'd love to do a horrible, bleak heavy metal project with bulldozer (plugged into a distortion pedal) bass, a tinny drum machine & distorted Napalm Death/Godflesh style vocals, singing songs about how **** England is.

SoCalLoco
26-Feb-2008, 04:39 AM
Stormtroopers of Death, baby! Billy Milano + Scotty Ian = Pure, frothing thrash with some good humor and right wing politics thrown in. You can't go wrong with songs like **** the Middle East, Speak English or Die & Kill the Assholes. S.O.D. reigns supreme.

Anthrax (with Joey Belladonna)! N.F.B. (Dallabnikufesin), I'm the Man, Startin' Up A Posse, Bring Tha Noise = 'Nough said.

Metallica = Master of the Puppets, Ride the Lightning & And Justice only. Kill 'Em All occasionally. Black album and beyond is pure, frothing ****.

Megadeth! Up to and including Countdown to Extinction.

Venom = I don't really like them, but they are fun to listen to around old people. That's always good for a giggle. Slayer had some bad stuff. Several buddies of mine used to rock out to South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss. But not really my bag. I hear they still have a pretty big underground following.

Hmm, that's about it for me when it comes to metal. Thrash & punk (along with the old stuff) is where it's at. Whatever happened to bands like King Missile & M.O.D. & The Dead Milkmen? Hell, for that matter, what happened to all that skate-punk **** from the 80s, made famous by Suicidal Tendencies & others?

blind2d
26-Feb-2008, 12:08 PM
I just bought a new 23 necklace.

Mike70
26-Feb-2008, 12:24 PM
i've just gotten my hands on a few cool DVD/videos:

slayer- still reigning, rock am ring 06 and 07, and a decent quality bootleg from the south of heaven tour in 88.

testament - live in london. this is awesome. the classic lineup playing nothing but old songs and alex skolnick shreds it up in this. the guitar playing in this vid is top notch.

overkill - wrecking everything. this is flat out awesome too. overkill in their hometown playing a set packed with old tunes from the 80s and early 90s.

MikePizzoff
26-Feb-2008, 01:18 PM
Anthrax (with Joey Belladonna)! N.F.B. (Dallabnikufesin), I'm the Man, Startin' Up A Posse, Bring Tha Noise = 'Nough said.

What?! Come on, man, that stuff is okay, but what really thrash are Spreading The Disease and Among The Living. Also, Fistful Of Metal (with Neil Turbin on vox) is great, too.

Metallica = Master of the Puppets, Ride the Lightning & And Justice only. Kill 'Em All occasionally.

In my opinion, Kill Em All takes far precedence over Master and especially Justice.

Hmm, that's about it for me when it comes to metal. Thrash & punk (along with the old stuff) is where it's at. Whatever happened to bands like King Missile & M.O.D. & The Dead Milkmen? Hell, for that matter, what happened to all that skate-punk **** from the 80s, made famous by Suicidal Tendencies & others?

Haha, nice! I'm friends with Joe from The Dead Milkmen. Check out his new band, The Low Budgets... they're catchy/poppy 60's-esque rock and roll with a punk attitude. Cool buddies of mine.

As far as skate punk goes, there are thousands of bands my age (and younger... and way older for that matter) that are still doing that sound and putting out records. For starters... Bones Brigade, Common Enemy, Concrete Facelift, Fruit Salad, etc.

Mike70
26-Feb-2008, 01:35 PM
yeah anthrax after among the living is a band that i don't care for at at all.

_liam_
26-Feb-2008, 03:58 PM
Kill Em All is the best Metallica album for just balls out have a beer and headbang metal madness. It's relentless, has a great atmosphere and a sort of mischievous quality to it (you know what I mean).

Puppets is the serious, more refined version - fewer songs, but longer. No silliness like jump in the fire - tunes about Kesey and Lovecraft novels, there's no "wowwwz" or "yeah-ee-yeahhhs" in the vocals - which are abundant in Kill Em All and the Black Album.

I can never decide which is better to be honest!

Ride the lightning and Justice are good albums, but ultimately both are just inferior versions of Master of Puppets - Lightning has a couple duff tracks and the vocals arent quite worked out yet, Justice is too bloated & a bit hollow.

Some people really hate Metallica for doing the Black album,but to be honest i don't see where else they could have taken it - they basically did the same album 3 times with lightning/puppets/justice.

However when it comes to taking the thrash metal formula and streamlining it for the mainstream WITHOUT compromising the heaviness, i think Megadeth won that battle hands down - Black album gets old after the first 5 tracks, Countdown to Extinction is solid all the way through.

Mike70
26-Feb-2008, 04:18 PM
Ride the lightning and Justice are good albums, but ultimately both are just inferior versions of Master of Puppets.

i totallly agree with you about justice. there is way too much going on on that record and it sounds way too big - if you know what i am getting at.

but ride is one of my favorite thrash records. i have a real soft spot for it because it was one of the first records that a certain 14 year old latched onto and began his addiction to thrash with. the second side (sorry when i was a kid vinyl was still kicking it) rips - trapped under ice, escape, creeping death and the call of ktulu. damn good run of tunes.

i am not really trying to argue that ride it is objectively better than master - the production on master is far superior to ride and master has some of the seminal metallica tunes on it. i am just saying that subjectively i like ride more.

MikePizzoff
26-Feb-2008, 09:36 PM
Black album gets old after the first 5 tracks, Countdown to Extinction is solid all the way through.

I agree. I don't like the Black album, but Countdown is a kickass album.

(sorry when i was a kid vinyl was still kicking it)

It's still kicking for me; unless something is really hard for me to find, I strictly buy/listen to vinyl.

blind2d
27-Feb-2008, 01:30 AM
Is Black Sabbath metal? I have one of their "best of" discs.

Mike70
27-Feb-2008, 01:35 AM
Is Black Sabbath metal? I have one of their "best of" discs.

are you being serious? i hope not but you never can tell.

It's still kicking for me; unless something is really hard for me to find, I strictly buy/listen to vinyl.

jesus mike that is old, old school. so i guess bands still put out limited pressings in vinyl? man i haven't bought a vinyl record since like 1987 or 88.

wow.

MikePizzoff
27-Feb-2008, 02:24 AM
jesus mike that is old, old school. so i guess bands still put out limited pressings in vinyl? man i haven't bought a vinyl record since like 1987 or 88.

wow.

I don't listen to many bands that have come out since the early 90's, but the ones that I do listen to almost always press to vinyl... some exclusively press vinyl.

I've got this one awesome Nunslaughter inverted cross shaped picture disc 12"...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/TraderInDeath/nunslaughter.jpg

Mike70
27-Feb-2008, 02:30 AM
I don't listen to many bands that have come out since the early 90's, but the ones that I do listen to almost always press to vinyl... some exclusively press vinyl.

I've got this one awesome Nunslaughter inverted cross shaped picture disc 12"...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/TraderInDeath/nunslaughter.jpg

man that is one thing about vinyl that i do miss - picture disks. i am going to have to (someday) dig out the live undead picture disk that i have (hopefully i still do) and put it up.

yes one of these days rather soon i plan on waxing poetic on my myspace blog about how superior the metal in the 80s and early 90s was to the stuff today.

i just got my hands on kreator's discography - including the tormentor demos from way, way back.

MikePizzoff
27-Feb-2008, 04:37 AM
Mind you, that Nunslaughter 12" isn't just a picture disc... it's actually SHAPED like an inverted cross. That black background is not part of the wax, just the cross that you see. Because of it's shape, it only has 3 songs so it works more as a 7"

man that is one thing about vinyl that i do miss - picture disks. i am going to have to (someday) dig out the live undead picture disk that i have (hopefully i still do) and put it up.

I have that picture disc, also.

i just got my hands on kreator's discography - including the tormentor demos from way, way back.

I used to have the Tormentor demos downloaded. My favorite album by them is Extreme Aggression (which, of course, I own on vinyl).

Haha I'm feeling a bit pompous, but I don't care so... my record collection is in the hundreds... probably 500-600.

Mike70
27-Feb-2008, 06:15 PM
Haha I'm feeling a bit pompous, but I don't care so... my record collection is in the hundreds... probably 500-600.

nothing pompous about it. after 25 years or so of collecting stuff i also have a gianormous amout of music too.

i have just been looking through the vinyl records that i do still have - don't have anything to play them on but still have them - and i came across some things i had almost forgotten i had -- the slayer "postmortem" maxi-single with postmortem and the remix of criminally insane on one side and the alt. version of agressive perfector on the other. i also found the maiden live import "maiden japan" along with the first two trash metal records i ever bought - Ride the Lightning and Don't Break the Oath.

i had to search part of the garage and two closets before i found them but i finally did...

MikePizzoff
28-Feb-2008, 12:00 AM
Right on! I've also got Maiden Japan, Kill Em All, and Don't Break The Oath on vinyl... KING RULES!!!

If you ever feel like you need to get rid of any of your collection, you know how to contact me... :D;)

_liam_
22-Aug-2008, 10:44 AM
New Metallica song has appeared "the day that never comes" or something. Bit of a hilarious title considering were all waiting for them to put out a good album again.

Anyway, the tune is alright, a bit unforgiven ish. It's very "Load" for the first 5 minutes though.

However!

It kicks off around the 5 minute mark(it does actually fly by though), there's a bloody amazing solo & this recurring lead guitar motif- which i'm pretty sure is stolen from an iron maiden song, but ah well

all in all, 7/10, way better than the other new song "Cyanide".

Trouble with those two songs (and the song "new song/death is not the end") is that it has bits that kick serious ****ing arse, and then just boring bits. Instead of the 3 ok-ish songs with amazing bits, can't they edit them into one epic or something.

But aye those two tracks and a new cover of maiden's remember tommorow are on their Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/metallica

SymphonicX
22-Aug-2008, 11:04 AM
Recent purchase: Threshold - Wounded Land and Clone.

Awesome music...
"angels calling at my door..I don't know what scares me more..."

Mike70
22-Aug-2008, 11:40 AM
New Metallica song has appeared "the day that never comes" or something. Bit of a hilarious title considering were all waiting for them to put out a good album again.

Anyway, the tune is alright, a bit unforgiven ish. It's very "Load" for the first 5 minutes though.

However!

It kicks off around the 5 minute mark(it does actually fly by though), there's a bloody amazing solo & this recurring lead guitar motif- which i'm pretty sure is stolen from an iron maiden song, but ah well

all in all, 7/10, way better than the other new song "Cyanide".

Trouble with those two songs (and the song "new song/death is not the end") is that it has bits that kick serious ****ing arse, and then just boring bits. Instead of the 3 ok-ish songs with amazing bits, can't they edit them into one epic or something.

But aye those two tracks and a new cover of maiden's remember tommorow are on their Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/metallica

i'm pretty much in total agreement with you here. i've had a copy of the new metallica record for a bit now and the entire record is like this. it has lots of moments of brilliance interspersed with lots of boring parts. i still think it will be viewed as the best thing they've done in years but that really isn't saying much.

hey, at least there are guitar solos on it.

capncnut
22-Aug-2008, 12:26 PM
i'm pretty much in total agreement with you here. i've had a copy of the new metallica record for a bit now and the entire record is like this. it has lots of moments of brilliance interspersed with lots of boring parts. i still think it will be viewed as the best thing they've done in years but that really isn't saying much.

hey, at least there are guitar solos on it.
I read a lengthy review with James and Lars in The Sun this morning and the overall vibe of Death Magnetic seems quite good. I'll certainly have a listen when it comes out next month.

They were saying that it's their best record since Justice.

SymphonicX
22-Aug-2008, 01:34 PM
I read a lengthy review with James and Lars in The Sun this morning and the overall vibe of Death Magnetic seems quite good. I'll certainly have a listen when it comes out next month.

They were saying that it's their best record since Justice.

Yeah they would say that....

But in truth? We'll see. I haven't liked a single Metallica song in their entire history and I don't see myself bowled over by anything from this CD either, but will reserve judgment until I hear some stuff.

Tricky
22-Aug-2008, 02:31 PM
never really been into metal myself!seems to go hand in hand with most living dead fans though!:lol:

_liam_
22-Aug-2008, 03:17 PM
I reckon ACDC is an honorary metal band!

Hey capn did you hear about Wes Borland joining Marilyn Manson? it just gets weirder

Tricky
22-Aug-2008, 03:29 PM

Aye i guess they count!although i reckon they'd give us a bollocking & say "we're hard rock,not metal" :lol:
I definitely like the 'DC :D

capncnut
22-Aug-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey capn did you hear about Wes Borland joining Marilyn Manson? it just gets weirder
Indeed, I did and I'm quite stoked about it. Dunno if you saw any of the footage from ETP but Borland nailed that solo in 'Sweet dreams' like a demon. Setlist was a smasher too.

SymphonicX
22-Aug-2008, 04:20 PM
Wes Bore-land playing a solo? Gimmie a break!!!

Of course AC DC is a metal band....no question of that.

capncnut
22-Aug-2008, 04:31 PM
Wes Bore-land playing a solo? Gimmie a break!!!
Well, I will agree that Limp Bizkit were sheyat and that Borland isn't the most talented guitarist on the planet but his riffs do cook on a bubblegum level. As for his performance at ETP with Manson, I think he pulled it off personally.

SymphonicX
22-Aug-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, I will agree that Limp Bizkit were sheyat and that Borland isn't the most talented guitarist on the planet but his riffs do cook on a bubblegum level. As for his performance at ETP with Manson, I think he pulled it off personally.

Oh man, Limp Dick**** were just terrible....awful...what happened to Fred Durst anyway? God I hated that band. HATED.

that aside, I didn't see the performance so I can't say...but I always drew up comparisons between Bore-land and putting hot pins in my eyes...haha

My hate for this man was realised when he won "best guitarist" in Metal Hammer above Kerry King from Slayer and Dimebag Darrel from Pantera....GRRRRR ****ing teeny goth mutha****as, voting for that ****.

Anyway, *rant over*
hehe

capncnut
22-Aug-2008, 04:46 PM
what happened to Fred Durst anyway?
He's a movie director now. :lol:

Other than that, you might find him scoffing burgers in the nearest s**thole.

SymphonicX
22-Aug-2008, 05:05 PM
He's a movie director now. :lol:

Other than that, you might find him scoffing burgers in the nearest s**thole.

You serious?!?!?!

*hangs self*

Tricky
22-Aug-2008, 05:48 PM
as **** as bizkit were,borlands riffs were quality!and i think "break stuff" rings a chord with most people at some point!

capncnut
22-Aug-2008, 06:15 PM
as **** as bizkit were,borlands riffs were quality!and i think "break stuff" rings a chord with most people at some point!
I agree and when Borland bounces them Bizkit choruses, it's a f**king moshfest. As s**t as the band was.

Yes, before you peeps interject, I know Slayer and Pantera rule. I'm just saying...

MikePizzoff
22-Aug-2008, 09:18 PM
AC/DC is not a metal band; they're just dirty, bluesy, rock & roll... not to mention possibly the catchiest band in history.

Also, the song "Cyanide" by Metallica SUUUUUUUUUCKS. I couldn't make it all the way through. :mad:

SymphonicX
23-Aug-2008, 07:10 AM
Well that means Black Sabbath aren't metal....they fit that criteria.

ACDC write loud, anthemic rock songs based around solid beats and distorted guitars, they're a metal band. The very least you could call them would be "Hard Rock"....but then Judas Priest have fit that criteria and have always been thought of as a metal band.

I agree and when Borland bounces them Bizkit choruses, it's a f**king moshfest. As s**t as the band was.

Yes, before you peeps interject, I know Slayer and Pantera rule. I'm just saying...

You know Bore-land only plays a riff once, then dupes it over and over in pro-tools for recording?

MikePizzoff
23-Aug-2008, 04:03 PM
Nooo... you can not compare Black Sabbath and Judas Priest to AC/DC; the music isn't even remotely similar. I suggest you go listen to an album by each of these bands, then you'll realize the two are metal and the one simply isn't.

SymphonicX
23-Aug-2008, 04:40 PM
Nooo... you can not compare Black Sabbath and Judas Priest to AC/DC; the music isn't even remotely similar. I suggest you go listen to an album by each of these bands, then you'll realize the two are metal and the one simply isn't.

heavy blues - ACDC (any album)
heavy blues - Black Sabbath (any album)
heavy blues - Judas Priest (who change every album but in particular Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings of Destiny)

Just because ACDC don't use the "magic three" (the three notes used in War Pigs by BS - which is a staple of heavy metal music) doesn't mean they aren't metal...the very least you could call them would be heavy rock...but that's a bit of a push. Deep Purple are heavy rock...Jimi is standard "Rock"...ACDC are metal, they play fast, blistering riffs, anthems, and just look at their audience!!

which if you think about it...Kiss would be more "heavy rock"....ACDC are heavy man....just not thrashy....not brutal, but still very metal...

But any band that uses Gibson SGs and plays to an audience of leather, denim and stud wearing rockers are a metal band....IMO!!

MikePizzoff
23-Aug-2008, 10:28 PM
Bah, we extremely disagree. No offense, but, that post completely null in voids anything you have to say about metal to me.

My even bigger gripe? The fact that you say Deep Purple ISN'T metal...

SymphonicX
24-Aug-2008, 10:59 AM
Bah, we extremely disagree. No offense, but, that post completely null in voids anything you have to say about metal to me.

My even bigger gripe? The fact that you say Deep Purple ISN'T metal...

Why cos they use double bass drumming once on one album? You gotta let go of the skin man, it's what's inside. How can deep purple be more metal than ACDC?!?

lol that's bizarre!!!

Back in Black vs Fireball = Back in black is metal!!! Fireball is just a fast rock song, although defo a blueprint for early metal...

MikePizzoff
24-Aug-2008, 04:55 PM
I told myself I wouldn't argue with you any more on this, but I can't resist...

Speed picking is also a huge part of being metal. How many songs do Deep Purple speed pick on? Countless. How many songs to AC/DC speed pick on? I can't think of one...

Now, I'm not saying that's the only thing that makes one metal and one not, but it's just another point in my case.

Tricky
24-Aug-2008, 07:25 PM
I know they arent metal,but ive got right into spiderbait lately,not a bad little band really!
KYRYWtNCJ5Q :)

SymphonicX
26-Aug-2008, 07:13 AM
I told myself I wouldn't argue with you any more on this, but I can't resist...

Speed picking is also a huge part of being metal. How many songs do Deep Purple speed pick on? Countless. How many songs to AC/DC speed pick on? I can't think of one...

Now, I'm not saying that's the only thing that makes one metal and one not, but it's just another point in my case.

Yeah I'll give you that.

But how much speed picking in Sabbath? Not much :)

hehe I guess we can wrap up the discussion like this...

You'd find ACDC in the metal and the rock sections of HMV....

You'd also find Sabbath in both sections...

and probably Priest....

so yeah...it can be both, for all intents and purposes...but you're wrong though :) hehehe

you know I love you MikeP :D

capncnut
26-Aug-2008, 08:10 AM
Mmm, Highway Star by Deep Purple is defo metal.

Just like Uriah Heep is metal - all the way! :cool:

SymphonicX
26-Aug-2008, 08:55 AM
Mmm, Highway Star by Deep Purple is defo metal.

Just like Uriah Heep is metal - all the way! :cool:

ahhh Uriah Heep...haven't thought about them in years!!

MikePizzoff
26-Aug-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah I'll give you that.

But how much speed picking in Sabbath? Not much :)

hehe I guess we can wrap up the discussion like this...

You'd find ACDC in the metal and the rock sections of HMV....

You'd also find Sabbath in both sections...

and probably Priest....

so yeah...it can be both, for all intents and purposes...but you're wrong though :) hehehe

you know I love you MikeP :D

Okay, you're probably right. I guess it really comes down to each persons preference... and what the band themselves say (AC/DC says they're NOT metal :D).

I love you, too.

PS:
I am going to see CARCASS in a week and a half in NYC!!!

_liam_
27-Aug-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm seeing Carcass in November, the last ever show :annoyed: yessssssssssss

Berzerker & Napalm Death are also playing the same show, it's going to be a wee bit of a large one

But yeah, I wasn't saying ACDC were metal, I just mean they hit the metal spot in the brain & are pretty metal in many superficial ways, but they are still a classic rock band with an honorary metalhood

Indeed, I did and I'm quite stoked about it. Dunno if you saw any of the footage from ETP but Borland nailed that solo in 'Sweet dreams' like a demon. Setlist was a smasher too.

That was in fact the very video I was thinking about, it was ****ing great, they need to come back to the UK soon, the setlist & lineup is great

_liam_
29-Aug-2008, 05:08 PM
update, damnation fest now looks like this

Sigh (WTF! japanese black metal, first uk gig in 15 years)
Cathedral (YES! ex napalm death/rise above records owner's british doom band)
Berzerker
Carcass
Napalm Death
Taint

and a bunch of others (well over a dozen death/black/punk bands)

leeds, november, 29 quid advance

GET ON

Also Metallica is playing the 02 on september 15th, and it's a fiver - but only if you have the hookup ;) secret show like

capncnut
31-Aug-2008, 06:03 AM
That was in fact the very video I was thinking about, it was ****ing great, they need to come back to the UK soon, the setlist & lineup is great
I have always thought of Borland as a riffster and not a soloist but damn, that solo was schweet! :cool:

Chic Freak
31-Aug-2008, 11:52 AM
Also, the song "Cyanide" by Metallica SUUUUUUUUUCKS.

It certainly does. Metallica should be banned from using the word "suicide" in their songs, nothing good seems to come of it.

I am going to see CARCASS in a week and a half in NYC!!!

Awesome, I'd love to see Carcass! I've seen Archenemy two or three times now and they were probably among my favourite shows to date :D

MikePizzoff
11-Sep-2008, 06:40 PM
So, I saw CARCASS (!!!) two nights ago. Wow, they were amazing. I'm too lazy to type a full show review including setlist, crowd/atmosphere, etc... but, those of you who are planning on seeing them - get ready to be blown the fnck away!

They played for about an hour and a half. Lots of stuff off Heartwork, 4 songs off Necroticism (my favorite album), a few off Symphonies, a few off Reek, and one off Symphonies. Jeff Walkers vocals were supreme and basically exactly the same as ever. Watching Bill Steer play his solos was nothing short of amazing... and when he did his vocals on the few Symphonies and Reek songs, WOW was it fncking cool to see/hear live. The new drummer, filling the shoes of Ken Owen, did a great job. Michael Ammott, however, was plagued with technical difficulties throughout the entire set AND he was not "on spot" when it came to his solos... slightly disappointing on his part.

Anyway, DON'T MISS YOUR LAST (OR ONLY) CHANCE TO SEE THEM, EVER!!!

capncnut
11-Sep-2008, 11:47 PM
Anyway, DON'T MISS YOUR LAST (OR ONLY) CHANCE TO SEE THEM, EVER!!!
I'm in talks with someone now to obtain two tickets for the final gig so it looks all rosy on that front. Heartwork is an absolute masterpiece.

MikePizzoff
12-Sep-2008, 11:41 PM
Heartwork is an absolute masterpiece.

I completely agree. But don't let the "true" fans hear you say that... I get crucified for it all the time, and it's annoying. I can't stand the Reek Of Putrefaction elitists.

MikePizzoff
03-Oct-2008, 08:53 PM
On Tuesday I'm going to be seeing Obituary and UNLEASHED!!!

Mike70
09-Oct-2008, 04:45 PM
On Tuesday I'm going to be seeing Obituary and UNLEASHED!!!

obituary was a damn good band back in the early 90s. are the tardy brothers and co. still kicking it old school?

on another note: i think this new metallica record is more of a bust than anything else. sure it's better than the black album, load and reload (not saying much there, racoons fighting in a garbage can would sound better) but it seems they are trying way too hard to be something they aren't anymore.

the one thing i will say about it on the positive side is this: at least it does have some decent guitar solos.

MikePizzoff
09-Oct-2008, 09:25 PM
obituary was a damn good band back in the early 90s. are the tardy brothers and co. still kicking it old school?

Yeah, John and Donald are still pretty much running Obituary. Their newer stuff [obviously] isn't as good as the first two albums (when does that ever happen?), but it's still pretty decent and very listenable... especially live. They were good the other night, but were better when I saw them in 2005.

UNLEASHED, however, tore the place apart! It was great finally getting to see them (they're one of my favorites) and they're not just great musicians, but they're performers (whereas Obituary aren't). By performers, I mean they really made the crowd feel like as if we were all a part of the band and put on a very FUN stage show.

capncnut
09-Oct-2008, 09:56 PM
Judas Priest, Megadeth and Testament just announced for February at Wembley. Noiiiicccee!

MikePizzoff
10-Oct-2008, 11:36 PM
Judas Priest, Megadeth and Testament just announced for February at Wembley. Noiiiicccee!

Fookin lucky!

capncnut
11-Oct-2008, 01:20 AM
Fookin lucky!
And yeah, I'm fooking going! :D

SymphonicX
11-Oct-2008, 11:03 AM

And I'll be there right after Megadeth and Testament... :D

_liam_
21-Dec-2008, 05:53 PM
I broke into the rise above records 20th anniversary party the other week (because I rule).

I saw grand magus, taint, gentleman's pistols, and the mighty ELECTRIC WIZARD! who were awesome. tuned down to z and played at 2 miles an hour. heavenly.

I also got very very pissed on snakebite & guinness, and harassed members of carcass/arch enemy & orange goblin. Later on I went to big red on holloway road, got a big round of jaegers in, but one girl didn't want one, so i tapped this dude on the shoulder and said merry xmas, have a jaeger etc, he said cheers, necked it, and we had a discussion about hammer horrors which culminated in me doing vincent price & charles gray impressions, strangely to some acclaim.

the fella went for a piss, and while he was gone, my mate said "do you know who that is?" and i was like nope, who is he? turns out it was lee bloody dorrian, ex napalm death frontman, cathedral singer & boss of rise above records :lol:

So yeah, had a few more drinks with that lot, got a kebab and haven't shut up about it since! wayheyyy

MikePizzoff
21-Dec-2008, 10:21 PM
the fella went for a piss, and while he was gone, my mate said "do you know who that is?" and i was like nope, who is he? turns out it was lee bloody dorrian, ex napalm death frontman, cathedral singer & boss of rise above records :lol:

:eek: Son of a bitch! How come things like that never happen to me?!?!

_liam_
21-Dec-2008, 11:15 PM
Move to Britain! you can go to sleep every night knowing that you are within 3 hours of most of the greatest metal bands in the world...

Mate if you do a pilgrimage to britain i'll show you the bars where all the death/doom bands hang out, the crobar is particularly surreal, watching to see who gets to the bar first, orange goblin or akercocke :lol:

capncnut
21-Dec-2008, 11:37 PM
Move to Britain! you can go to sleep every night knowing that you are within 3 hours of most of the greatest metal bands in the world...
I'll second that. :cool:

_liam_
15-Jan-2009, 03:05 AM
Bands I am liking at the moment

Electric Wizard

(Doom/Doom/Doom/Drugs)

Electric Wizard have been hailed by many as the heaviest band ever. However, unlike most metal bands, instead of getting faster, they went slower & tuned lower. Until it actually sounds like you're drowning in tar or something.

Mainman Jus is noted for his prodigious cannabis intake & in depth knowledge of horror films.

Here's an example from "Dopethrone" (2000) A UK underground (ish) classic, frequently hailed as their best. It sounds like Black Sabbath were trapped in a room together for a year, fed drugs & deprived of sleep. IT'S AMAZING

Play it as loud as you can

sO7VP34n2Ps

Their newest album is a lot more accessible, but still great, old stuff is better in some ways and new stuff is better in others, not many bands are like this
6tNyra2qZT8

Here's the same song live.
Sound quality is terrible, but this is when I saw them live a month ago, it gives you idea of how shit yer pants good they are live, just crushingly loud & low, people pass out & throw up at wizard shows, they play all guitars through big cheap bass amps NSFW!
mT2n4l5QcVA

Ted Maul

(Death Metal/Jungle)

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking when oh when is somebody going to combine jungle music with death metal, well the wait is over.

I like Slipknot, but they sound like Slipknot with serious Death Metal balls. They really pull it off live as well
_1xvlITtFX0

Dissection/Cardinal Sin

(Blackened Death Metal/Early Melodic Death Metal?)

OK now Dissection rule, its very brutal, but also extremely accessible & melodic blackish death metal. It's bloody great stuff, they were in with all the early 90s norway gang too so extra tr00 points if you're into that sort of thing

If you like anything metal upwards of metallica, give this a go, it's hard on the ears in places but stick with it, it's really good
rNOVgsYqsZk

But! The guitarist, who wrote a fair chunk of the album, left the band, did an ep & disappeared (as far as I know)

the EP is VERY hard to get hold of, but some kind soul has made a myspace with the whole thing on it, it's pretty good stuff, if you like the first dissection album you will almost certainly like this

http://www.myspace.com/cardinalsinswe

MikePizzoff
22-Jan-2009, 06:19 PM
Liam, I've got many friends into Electric Wizard and stuff like that... but as much as I listen to it, I just can't get into doom/stoner stuff. Not even really a big fan of old Sabbath (I prefer Dio Sabbath... go ahead and crucify me). I guess Candlemass is probably the only doom band I actually like and will listen to on my own. Not to say I knock the genre, though; I do appreciate their musicianship and whatnot.

Lately I've been listening to:

Nunslaughter - Aquaintances of mine. Mike, they're from your neck of the woods. I highly recommend them! Liam, I know you'll LOVE this tune.
wmRADlvg2BA

Abscess - Great death metal with an extremely high influence of punk. (For some reason the only video of my favorite song by them is put over CGI footage of some GI Joe cartoon I've never heard of.)
Wck6KOsdhDU

SPAZZ - I know they're not technically metal... they're powerviolence. But they have some songs that definitely delv deep into black, or death, or even sometimes doom.
viUMqw5L8v4

Mike70
22-Jan-2009, 06:29 PM
i enjoyed a couple of candlemass' records. epicus doomicus metallicus, nightfall and ancient dreams aren't too bad. nightfall is probably my fav of the three.

the only other doom/stoner metal bands i ever really listened to were st. vitus and trouble. to be honest, i never really paid that much attention to either of them, though saint vitus does have some records that are damn good if you are in the right mood.

mike- i agree with you about maiden and power metal, though maybe for different reasons. to me maiden, at least the old stuff, is NWOBHM. they came along with the rest of those bands and even though their sound is a bit different than most of them, i'd still say they go in that category.

the band Spazz reminds me a lot of early DRI, like "dirty rotten LP", "dealing with it" era DRI. well, at least the 30 second clip you posted reminds me of old DRI.

krakenslayer
22-Jan-2009, 06:52 PM
Kraken, I don't know if this is what you were doing, but Maiden isn't really lumped into the power metal category.

Yeah, sorry, I know I didn't make it very clear - I was trying to show that I liked trad metal (which was referenced earlier in my post) too, but it didn't quite come out like that. I'd say Maiden is NWOBHM, which IMO is just an early-80s offshoot of traditional metal.

Electric Wizard are good fun - they remind me a lot of Hawkwind. My old boss used to be in Hawkwind! If you like these bands, you should listen to some Litmus:
2LC47sP0F_0

Oh, and with regards power metal... is this the most epic song ever performed?:
r2X4PLNoV8k

_liam_
22-Jan-2009, 07:34 PM
Good music in here!

Maiden are NWOBHM, or at least they started out that way & just expanded the sound. Venom pwn Maiden's new albums though

29NT5lGz8l4

However, Venom never bloody tour, and I've heard they're crap live, whereas seeing Maiden live is like the end of close encounters or something

Mike70
22-Jan-2009, 07:48 PM
Venom pwn Maiden's new albums though

However, Venom never bloody tour, and I've heard they're crap live, whereas seeing Maiden live is like the end of close encounters or something

holy shit! there's a name i haven't heard in ages. way back in the day i used to dig venom. their early records, "black metal", "at war with satan" (which believe it or not actually fucking charted in the UK) and "welcome to hell" were cool as fuck or at least i thought so in 1986. i haven't listened to them in ages and to be honest i don't know if i'd still like them. i saw them live way back in like 85 or 86 and nothing about the show really sticks out in my mind as being good or bad. then again, i saw so many bands back then that it is hard to pick out any one particular show. i'll have to dig through my old ticket stub collection and see if i can find the one to the venom show.

i read somewhere that their first demo was recorded for £50.

krakenslayer
22-Jan-2009, 08:08 PM
Venom pwn Maiden's new albums though

I dunno, Venom are good and everything, but unlike most metal fans I've never been able to get properly into thrash. I like songs here and there, but I think generally the whole thrash style of riffing lacks the fluidity that attracts me so much to power, trad and even black metal.

capncnut
22-Jan-2009, 09:21 PM
way back in the day i used to dig venom. their early records, "black metal", "at war with satan" (which believe it or not actually fucking charted in the UK) and "welcome to hell" were cool as fuck or at least i thought so in 1986. i haven't listened to them in ages and to be honest i don't know if i'd still like them.
Funnily enough I dug out At War With Satan not too long long ago but put it back in the pile thinking 'f**k that'. I may have to give it blast sometime now that you've just mentioned it.

:lol:

Mike70
23-Jan-2009, 12:13 AM
Funnily enough I dug out At War With Satan not too long long ago but put it back in the pile thinking 'f**k that'. I may have to give it blast sometime now that you've just mentioned it.

i think i might head over to youtube in a bit and look up some old venom tunes. i really don't think i've any of their stuff on CD anymore. i am sure if i dug through one of my closets i'd probably find some old cassette tapes with venom on them.

having talked about doom/stoner metal a bit earlier made me look up some candlemass tunes. i was surprised to find nightfall up in its entirety on youtube. i hadn't heard anything from that record in years upon years. i think "well of souls" is still a pretty damn cool tune. hell, now that i've listened to nightfall in its entirety for the first time in probably 10 or 15 years, i think the whole record kicks ass. i might just have to get my hands on a copy of it. they were a damn good show back then too.

bSSv2WO5Yto

6tNyra2qZT8

this is kinda cool. it reminds me a lot of saint vitus.

ah dammit liam, you are sending me off a doom metal kick.

_liam_
23-Jan-2009, 09:31 AM
Wino has a new thing out soon

Anyway

DOOM ATTACK

Acid Bath PWN (nola doom pwns) good atmospheric melodic stuff
UnpKJs6zHL8

Down isn't really doom but they kick ass
CRA3VgO3Vz0

Crowbar rules, heavy going stuff but hits the spot for me
457-Y8GYVtg

And finally, what do you get when you worship at the altar of DOOOOM, whilst inside the Cathedral of PROG?
XeSwal4jqyk
you get BORIS

This is a very uplifting yet slightly sad sounding song, with big heavy bits that crash in and out.

krakenslayer
23-Jan-2009, 10:00 AM
Great stuff there _liam_... I'm loving Boris.

What this thread needs now though is some motherlovin' WINTERSUN!!

Beautiful Death:
kuQc3BnQK-o

Starchild:
lc4WFzl-6Xs

I'll be seeing them at Bloodstock this year, I'm so excited!

capncnut
23-Jan-2009, 12:07 PM
CRA3VgO3Vz0
Absolute f**kin' tune! I posted this one in another thread a little while ago, Nola is a brutal album and 'Bury Me In Smoke' is my favourite song from it.

cm28YAvY8Kg&feature=related
Akercocke, someone pass this dude a lozenge.

UsHtMCs6Lww&feature=related
Always loved a bit of Cathedral, slow going but epic as fook.

Mike70
23-Jan-2009, 12:27 PM
back to electric wizard -

i got copies of "dopethrone" and "witchcult today" last night and listened to both in their entirety while playing some games. i have to say, i am rather smitten by both. i haven't really latched onto any particular tune yet and it might be the case that electric wizard becomes one of those bands that i like to have on in the background (i went to an open school and consequently abhor silence) while i am doing something else but we'll see, we'll see.

MikePizzoff
23-Jan-2009, 04:38 PM
I dunno, Venom are good and everything, but unlike most metal fans I've never been able to get properly into thrash. I like songs here and there, but I think generally the whole thrash style of riffing lacks the fluidity that attracts me so much to power, trad and even black metal.

But Venom helped creat the black metal wheel! I take it you're a fan of the newer black metal bands?

However, Venom never bloody tour, and I've heard they're crap live

I saw Venom like 2 or 3 years ago. The show was like $36 and I couldn't afford it so I just sat in the alleyway behind the club and got drunk, begging bands to get me in. I sat out there for hours with no success. Then, just before Early Man hit the stage, their singer came out and told me I was on their guestlist! Anyway, Venom was pretty awesome to me. Although it was just Cronos and two backing dudes, they killed it. There was cool pyrotechnics and a HUGE pentagram backdrop... lots of fog, and tons of red strobe lights. They were even dressed slightly MORE overthetop than this:

http://members.cox.net/spedqueen/venom1.jpg

Mike70
23-Jan-2009, 04:57 PM
I saw Venom like 2 or 3 years ago. The show was like $36 and I couldn't afford it so I just sat in the alleyway behind the club and got drunk

$36! dear god how things have changed. i went through my ticket stub collection (i've kept just about every one) and thought i'd share this with you guys:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/mikemor70/Photo43.jpg?t=1232733272

king diamond and megadeth at bogart's in cincinnati for $3.50.

krakenslayer
23-Jan-2009, 05:04 PM
But Venom helped creat the black metal wheel! I take it you're a fan of the newer black metal bands?

I'm not a fan of black metal, per se. I'm just saying I find a lot of it to be more accessible than thrash metal.

I think that a lot of people are attracted to the jagged style of thrash, with the multiple sudden changes in speed, riffing, etc. But it just doesn't hit my aural g-spot like power/melodic stuff does.

MikePizzoff
23-Jan-2009, 10:36 PM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/mikemor70/Photo43.jpg?t=1232733272

Ho-ly-shit. :stunned:

I think that a lot of people are attracted to the jagged style of thrash, with the multiple sudden changes in speed, riffing, etc. But it just doesn't hit my aural g-spot like power/melodic stuff does.

That's understandable. I hope you don't think I'm knocking you or your styles of metal. I'm very open to other people's musical tastes... but I am also very out-spoken about my own; some people take it as me givin them crap. To each their own.

No matter what genre of metal a person listens to, chances are we'll get along... unless it's NSBM or Nu-"metal".

Mike70
24-Jan-2009, 04:30 AM
Ho-ly-shit. :stunned:

i thought you'd get a kick out that, dude.

Liam - here is one that will give you a chuckle for sure. i was listening to electric wizard (i am quite taken by this band and getting into them quite a bit) and doing some shots this evening. i had my headphones on and had it cranked all the fucking way up. get this - it blew my damn headphones up! the right speaker just couldn't fucking take it and gave out like it had a coronary or something. all attempts to resuscitate have proved futile. i had to switch to another pair.

now that is about as metal as it gets, at least when you are talking about listening at home.

_liam_
24-Jan-2009, 12:50 PM
:evil: The Wiz don't fuck about mate, live appearences are rare so grab the chance if you get it. It's proper BASTARD loud, I remember it being slightly unpleasant (but I got into it, once I got used to MY CHEST CAVITY VIBRATING UNDER MY HAND)), definitely some health & safety stuff being violated there, maybe that's why they don't play often.

There's a new tune out on a split with Reverend Bizarre (who had an album called In The Rectory of The Bizarre Reverend :lol: ), you can only get it on vinyl, and I think the vinyl was only sold at the rise above records 20th birthday bash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Wizard/Reverend_Bizarre

However, a few of my mates bought copies so expect rips to appear magically about the place

That's a pretty epic ticket too, KD & dave for 3.50. Not 3 bad. Lurking in The Dark by King Diamond is one of the best tunes ever, I like to do loud King Diamond impressions when I've had a few & pretend that everyone finds it funny. Have you seen that bit in Clerks II where totally out of the blue Jay bursts through the drive thru window singing a King Diamond tune, I nearly pissed myself laughing

Mike - That Venom show sounds badass to be fair. I'm not sure who they have on guitar at the moment, last I checked it was Mike from Carcass/Cathedral, which is pretty badass, respectable.

Speaking of which Carcass have some dates booked in America in March/April, but haven't announced anything officially, so you lucky bastards are probably getting another tour

One more thing, any fans of death/black or in particular (you guessed it) Akercocke, check out Skaldic Curse

http://www.myspace.com/skaldiccurse

I bumped into Scanlan (ex Akercocke lead guitar) a few months back in Camden, and he told me about some gigs coming up the new band he was in were playing, and they are pretty good if you ask me, saw them at the Unicorn & they were top, it's like the 2nd Akercocke album with more more black-ish vocals, very chaotic sounding & slightly creepy

Mike70
24-Jan-2009, 03:48 PM
That's a pretty epic ticket too, KD & dave for 3.50. Not 3 bad. Lurking in The Dark by King Diamond is one of the best tunes ever, I like to do loud King Diamond impressions when I've had a few & pretend that everyone finds it funny. Have you seen that bit in Clerks II where totally out of the blue Jay bursts through the drive thru window singing a King Diamond tune, I nearly pissed myself laughing

ahem, i've been known to do a king diamond impression or two as well, which usually only end after either threats of violence and/or sleeping on the couch from my wife. now, if a couple of my old friends and i get together and get in the mood, we can proper shatter glass with a group rendition of "a mansion in darkness" or "the family ghost."

the funny thing about about that king/megadeth show in 86 was that unless my memory has failed me completely (it was over 22 years ago) megadeth was opening up that tour. i don't think "peace sells" was released until like oct or nov of 86 (after capitol records got their paws on it), so megadeth hadn't hit it big yet and king being from mercyful fate was a more "established" act. although, unless my mind is really softening up, i clearly remember dave introducing songs from their "new record" and playing them.

i saw king diamond on everyone of his tours in the 80s and into the early 90s. he put on a great show and usually a cool opening act along with him.

krakenslayer
24-Jan-2009, 03:55 PM
No matter what genre of metal a person listens to, chances are we'll get along... unless it's NSBM or Nu-"metal".

Heh, no worries there! :D

What about National Socialist Nu-Metal? Someone's gonna do it sooner or later! :lol:

FOREFATHER:
IDNvPeO9nnk

Honest opinions now. Is it considered racist to like a "true Anglo-Saxon metal" band?

I mean I've never heard them actually sing anything that was outright anti-black or Nazi or whatever, but I worry that maybe they're a little TOO much into the whole "land of our fathers" thing NOT to be BNP voters... :confused:

MikePizzoff
24-Jan-2009, 04:57 PM
Speaking of which Carcass have some dates booked in America in March/April, but haven't announced anything officially, so you lucky bastards are probably getting another tour

This is awesome news. I'd love to see them again; last time they blew me the fuck away! Although, now I'm not going to get to rub in my friends face that "I was at Carcass' final tour ever and you weren't."

What about National Socialist Nu-Metal? Someone's gonna do it sooner or later! :lol:

:lol: I'm sure somewhere in Kentucky, or something of the like, there are plenty of those.

ahem, i've been known to do a king diamond impression or two as well, which usually only end after either threats of violence and/or sleeping on the couch from my wife. now, if a couple of my old friends and i get together and get in the mood, we can proper shatter glass with a group rendition of "a mansion in darkness" or "the family ghost."

Sounds all too familiar. Get my friends and I at a party where there's music being played, and surely we'll crank up Black Funeral and sing along to it. It's always great to see the horrified looks on normal people's faces when we scream the "All hail Satan... YES, HAIL SATAN!!!" part.

Mike70
24-Jan-2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds all too familiar. Get my friends and I at a party where there's music being played, and surely we'll crank up Black Funeral and sing along to it. It's always great to see the horrified looks on normal people's faces when we scream the "All hail Satan... YES, HAIL SATAN!!!" part.

:lol:

"her blood is still hot, so let it out."

lyrics guaranteed to raise eyebrows.

i saw a vid on youtube of therion (a band i don't really know much about) doing a pretty damn good cover version of "black funeral."

Mike70
30-Jan-2009, 04:01 AM
i've been listening to probot a bit here recently. for those of you that don't usually follow this kind of music, probot was a side band that dave grohl of the foo fighters put together. each track on the record had a different vocalists from some well known and not so well known metal/thrash acts.

based on the music he's done with the foo fighters (which i can't really tolerate), you'd never guess grohl was a metalhead at heart. i was dubious (come on, it's dave grohl from nirvana and the foo fighters) a few years ago when this came out but once i heard who he was working with i thought "shit, this dude really knows his metal." max cavalera, king diamond, eric wagner from trouble, lee dorian, cronos, eric belanger from voivod, etc.

this is the video for "shake your blood." it has grohl on drums, lemmy on bass & vocals, and wino (from saint vitus) on guitar.

UDyF2GBdU2U

_liam_
30-Jan-2009, 04:31 AM
Weird, I was pimping probot to a mate of mine last night...

I never knew it was WINO on guitar though! he's got some new stuff out soon

Jesus, Dave Grohl can be fucking cool when he wants to be. That album has CRONOS on it.

CRONOS

Mike70
30-Jan-2009, 04:37 AM
liam and mikeP these are for you dudes. this fucking floored me when i came across it on youtube. this dude has done a shitload of these. his neighbors must love him.

WBkz-Xh8G5A

K4gd1aQTOiw

now back to probot. this is a performance of "my tortured soul." grohl on drums, wino on guitar, greg anderson (goatsnake) on guitar, eric wagner (trouble) on vocals and i think that the bass player is one of the foo fighter's guitar techs.
cP0Tn4IDxlE

MikePizzoff
30-Jan-2009, 09:26 PM
That dude should learn how to increase his lung capacity so he can sing both parts (without having to record them separately) and start a Mercyful worship band... or at least a King tribute group.

capncnut
30-Jan-2009, 10:35 PM
Saw Mercyful Fate at the Big Day Out with Metallica in 1999. They opened the event at 11am and played to a big open gap...

Mike70
30-Jan-2009, 11:39 PM
Saw Mercyful Fate at the Big Day Out with Metallica in 1999. They opened the event at 11am and played to a big open gap...

11 am is a rough spot. too bad, people missed out. i saw mercyful fate a couple of times in the early 90s when they first got back together and they kicked ass.

now onto even sadder news: the end is extremely fucking nigh based on what i've just come across on youtube. metallica's fall from grace has brought them to an all time new low. this is a vid of them doing a cover medley of popular songs for some MTV celebration. it was painful to watch.

dgSutRJxIxw

capncnut
30-Jan-2009, 11:47 PM
dgSutRJxIxw
What the f**k was that shit about (I nearly uncensored my f**k on bullshit factor alone)?

WTF? :stunned:

Mike70
31-Jan-2009, 12:03 AM
What the f**k was that shit about (I nearly uncensored my f**k on bullshit factor alone)?

i'm right there with you. don't get that one at all and frankly, i find it rather embarrassing for them. i immediately went and listened to "orion" cranked up to cleanse my ears of that abomination.

and a different and funnier note, the bit mentioned by liam in clerks II (yes, i am really trying to forget that metallica clip)

.mzKWXrBNAYc

since we've been talking about doom/stoner metal recently here is a bit of wino with saint vitus. i saw these dudes live a couple of times. one show sticks out in my mind, it was like july or aug and hot as shit. the show was sweaty, heavy, loud as fuck and i'd been smoking hash oil. ah, to be 17 again...
ZLELoVlJyWo

krakenslayer
31-Jan-2009, 11:35 AM

I didn't think it was that bad. I don't see how this is anywhere near as bad as the whole Napster furore, etc. I'm not a big Metallica fan but I always find metal covers of pop songs amusing.

I think I might have posted this one here before, not sure:

sImzKqFtd4I

MikePizzoff
31-Jan-2009, 07:00 PM
now onto even sadder news: the end is extremely fucking nigh based on what i've just come across on youtube. metallica's fall from grace has brought them to an all time new low. this is a vid of them doing a cover medley of popular songs for some MTV celebration. it was painful to watch.

Keep in mind, that video is over 5 years old. I'm sure they've done worse since then. :annoyed:

Mike70
01-Feb-2009, 03:12 AM
Keep in mind, that video is over 5 years old. I'm sure they've done worse since then. :annoyed:

undoubtedly, but here is something that proves that they still know how to rock it out at least to mercyful fate. this a pretty good quality vid of them performing with king diamond on 9 aug 08. the version of "evil" they do is completely and totally smoking hot.

UTgNo6Fb9_g

_liam_
01-Feb-2009, 02:49 PM
Last Metallica album was inoffensive & they put on an amazing show. Yep they did a trilogy of gash albums, but I forgive them, still Metal Gods. Sabbath did more than 3 bad albums & people like them so much they tour with 2 lineups

Mike70
03-Feb-2009, 02:53 AM
I didn't think it was that bad. I don't see how this is anywhere near as bad as the whole Napster furore, etc. I'm not a big Metallica fan but I always find metal covers of pop songs amusing.

I think I might have posted this one here before, not sure:

sImzKqFtd4I

thanks. i'd never heard that and i thought it was pretty damn good. here is one of my fav covers by a metal band. iced earth doing "burnin for you."

9ZrD-GUISTc

krakenslayer
03-Feb-2009, 10:01 AM
thanks. i'd never heard that and i thought it was pretty damn good. here is one of my fav covers by a metal band. iced earth doing "burnin for you."

9ZrD-GUISTc

Yeah, I think I have that on a weird Russian-imported Horror Show/Tribute to the Gods split album. I think the distorted guitars really fit the song well, I love it.

MikePizzoff
04-Feb-2009, 12:28 AM
I have a hell of a spring to look forward to...

Kreator (whom I've always managed to miss) with Exodus playing Bonded By Blood from start to finish... I know I know, Baloff is dead, but it'll still be awesome to go nuts and scream along to this album live.

Destruction is coming back. Sadly, this time I don't get the pleasure of being the opening band like last time (RULED!).

Maryland Deathfest is going to be great this year. The bands I'm looking forward to most include (but is not limited to): Aura Noir, Pestilence, Abscess, Immolation, Athiest, Birdflesh.

And finally...

CARCASS is coming back to the states!!!!!!

Mike70
04-Feb-2009, 12:40 AM
I have a hell of a spring to look forward to...

Kreator (whom I've always managed to miss) with Exodus playing Bonded By Blood from start to finish... I know I know, Baloff is dead, but it'll still be awesome to go nuts and scream along to this album live.

now this is one tour that just might lure me out of concert retirement. both kreator and exodus were totally kiss ass shows back in the day. i know that (or at least last i heard) exodus had had some major lineup changes and the only members from the classic line up still in the band were gary holt and tom hunting. please correct me if i am wrong about that.

kreator could flat blow a place to pieces and have folks hanging from the rafters at their shows, at least the 5 or so times i saw them.

Mike70
17-Feb-2009, 03:25 AM
ok. for whatever reason, call it inherent good taste or whatever, my son loves this song. we regularly rock it out all over the house to this tune, saint vitus (the boy seems to like his stuff heavy) and metal/punk in general. funny thing is, i was a causal listener of saint vitus, i liked their stuff and had most of their records but hell, i've got like well over 1,200 or so CDs; having their discography isn't anything special. now, i'm starting to love them because for some reason, Nick has latched onto that heavy, grinding sort of sound, so i put this up on youtube for him:

FkKRBNHeTEo

note: i just realized how metal this was and it damn near brought a tear to my eye. i'll save that for the first time the boy blows something apart with a shotgun at a range or down in georgetown but anyhoo, while lot's of parents put up uber cute shit of their kids doing funny stuff, i put up a vid of my kid's favorite saint vitus song.

MikePizzoff
08-Mar-2009, 06:04 PM
This Friday I'm going to see CARCASS again!!!

Mike, I think you'll dig this: on April 17th, I'm going to see the ANVIL documentary followed by a Q&A with the band... followed by a live performance!

SymphonicX
08-Mar-2009, 06:10 PM
So you like it fast?
You like it heavy?
You like it loud?
Oh...but you want melody?
Technicality?
Harmony?

SYMPHONY????

How about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcP3uIAXE6k

Mike70
08-Mar-2009, 07:05 PM
Mike, I think you'll dig this: on April 17th, I'm going to see the ANVIL documentary followed by a Q&A with the band... followed by a live performance!

there's an anvil documentary? holy sheep shit, i didn't know that. that would probably be damn interesting.

let us know how it turns out.

_liam_
29-Mar-2009, 04:24 PM
Saw Metallica at the 02 last night, had big smoke & a few drinks, and went off to the dome.

First off I have to say, seeing Metallica at the Milennium dome is a bit of an experience in itself & i'd recommend it highly.

Basically the actual arena (which is HUGE) is about a 3rd of the overall size of the thing. There was about a dozen huge bars, all blasting metallica (one had the s&m dvd playing on about 20 flatscreens, one had a metallica guitar hero competition onstage, etc), and everyone there was mad for it, the atmosphere was palpable.

The stage was in the centre of the crowd, like the black album tour, and lar's kit would rotate throughout the show. They had a HUGE lighting rig suspended above them like a giant industrial looking chandelier, with these 4 massive black coffins that rotated and fired lasers and stuff (I dropped some mdma during machinehead's support slot, so suffice to say I was pleased with all that)

So yeah, they hit the stage, and this isn't the right order, but they played

harvester of sorrow
one
and justice for all (whole thing, epic)
master of puppets
hit the lights
seek and destroy
that was just your life
end of the line
day that never comes
the outlaw torn (I know right?)
fight fire with fire (epic pyro, i was down the front, heat made me wince)
enter sandman
sad but true
nothing else matters
my apocalypse
broken, beat & scarred
The Judas Kiss
Overkill (motorhead cover)

Kirk riffed on Sails of Charon for a bit, which was cool.

Sound was superb, Hetfield's voice was actually excellent! he's dropped that yodelling danzig thing largely, and has his old growl back, which was excellent.

but possibly the highlight of the evening occurred thusly ;

So I was standing with my mate monkey by one of the exits, and we were talking to these kids who'd never seen Metallica before, when suddenly their faces drop & they point behind us...

It was bloody James Hetfield, just walking by with his personal ninja, loads of people ran up and were like "james sign this sign that, james lemme take a picture james james james", and he was like "havent got time to do everyone guys, sorry" and kept on walking, the mob dispersed.

Undeterred, me and monkey ran up to him at a speed that got his bodyguard pulling some sort of defence stance :lol: James keeps walking, Monkey says "hey Jim, no cameras no bullshit, we just wanna shake your hand mate"

He stops dead, walks over to us, I was really fucked to be honest so I just remember us being like safe mate safe cheers for the music, come back anytime etc, shook his hand (really leathery), he said "cheers guys, thanks for comin out, see you again"

and he walked off into the sunset (or whatever) :cool:

krakenslayer
29-Mar-2009, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a good night. :D But... *meh*tallica :lol:

MikePizzoff
29-Mar-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey Liam, that's pretty badass, dude. Now you just gotta shake Mustaine's hand at some point in your life.

_liam_
30-Mar-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah man, that's definitely one for the list. I got a bet with the guy on the counter in metal militia in camden regarding who can meet all of metallica first.

He got off to a good start by meeting everyone except James after that Jools Holland session, but i'm catching him up :D

Dude I was with has met bloody everyone though, met Dave a few years back, then there's this

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v241/195/17/676776539/n676776539_801321_3522.jpg

epic

Mike70
02-May-2009, 01:30 AM
necromancy time.

i meant to post this last night but i forgot. seeing that it is that 30 apr/ 1 may time of the year, it is appropriate.

K7GqS--2U5s

April thirtieth, the souls of the risen
are leading the way. The first of May.
Black magic night, witches holiday,
their torches glow.
Eternal evil, it summons
the lords of hell, just once a year,
compel and beware the spell of the jackyl.
Can't break the spell,
won't break the spell,
the spell of the shadowless man.

The witches fornicate, the demons dance,
black mass romance.
In hellish praise
round Brocken they prance,
their numbers grow.
A harpy chants, fire fountains glow,
virgin of snow burnt by the torch
of the one with no shadow.
I saw his face, I've seen him before,
the face of the shadowless man.

As dawn breaks through the trees,
lonely town falls to their knees,
a solemn belfry begins to toll.
The mass begins sing familiar hymns,
man in black has his back to the crowd.
Spreads his wings and turns around,
as my heart begins to pound.

Because you, you're the one I
saw in flight, at Walpurgis Night.
You've betrayed and cursed the light,
at Walpurgis Night.
You're the one I saw in flight,
at Walpurgis Night.
At the setting of the sun.

MikePizzoff
26-May-2009, 05:35 AM
Just got back from spending the weekend at Deathfest. Among the bands that played were:

Aura Noir, Bolt Thrower, Destroyer 666, Atheist, Birdflesh, Abscess, Absu, Napalm Death, Asphyx, Immolation, Mayhem, Hail of Bullets, Brutal Truth, and TONS of other bands.

I snuck my way backstage last night and spent the night hanging out with Aura Noir and Destroyer 666!!! :cool: I'll be posting a picture of me ON STAGE with Aura Noir as soon as I get it!

_liam_
17-Jul-2009, 05:51 PM
/\ :eek: Sounds like a decent one. Can't mess with bolt thrower & look forward to hearing what weird stuff Atilla got up to on stage.

Tuther night I saw NIN at the 02 (you KNOWS IT capn, I always find a way)

Pretty excellent stuff, one of the highlights was Gary Numan joining them onstage for a couple of songs

capncnut
17-Jul-2009, 05:57 PM
Tuther night I saw NIN at the 02 (you KNOWS IT capn, I always find a way)

Pretty excellent stuff, one of the highlights was Gary Numan joining them onstage for a couple of songs
They weren't bad as it happens. I got there halfway into Jane's Addiction's set. Not as good as when I saw them in 99 on the Fragility tour but yeah, Metal and Cars with Gary Numan was the highlight. I might have to do Sonisphere now.

MikePizzoff
18-Jul-2009, 05:15 PM
They weren't bad as it happens. I got there halfway into Jane's Addiction's set. Not as good as when I saw them in 99 on the Fragility tour but yeah, Metal and Cars with Gary Numan was the highlight. I might have to do Sonisphere now.

NIN did CARS and had Gary Numan come on with them?!?! SHIT I HOPE THERE'S A VIDEO OF THAT!

EDIT: Found a great quality vid of it. They did a stand up job of covering it!!!

FjsDc23-J7I

krakenslayer
05-Aug-2009, 07:17 PM
Off to Bloodstock next weekend. Surprisingly, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing these old bastards:

(song starts at 0:59)
RdVxQRkFy_Q

MikePizzoff
05-Aug-2009, 11:58 PM
Can you give us a full list of the bands playing that?

I'm playing Filth City Fest in a couple of weeks with tons of underground crust and metal (and some hardcore) bands. Some of the bigger acts are Ludicra, Asshole Parade, and Pulling Teeth.

capncnut
06-Aug-2009, 12:31 AM
NIN did CARS and had Gary Numan come on with them?!?! SHIT I HOPE THERE'S A VIDEO OF THAT!
It was okay. Not as good as this...

5L340enpj_w

krakenslayer
06-Aug-2009, 01:29 PM
Can you give us a full list of the bands playing that?

At Bloodstock? I'm accessing HPotD from my phone right now so I can't copy past a link but off the top of my head there's Katatonia, Candlemass, Arch Enemy, Blind Guardian, Municipal Waste, Sodom, Turisas, Apocalyptica, Carcass, Entombed, Enslaved, Blitzkreig, Battlelore, Cradle of Filth, Europe, Satyricon, Amon Amarth, Sabaton, Million Dollar Reload, Saxon... and loads more I can't remember, plus a bunch of smaller and unsigned bands on different stages. It's over three days so there're a lot of acts on the bill.

krakenslayer
07-Aug-2009, 06:42 PM
Here's the complete Bloodstock listing:

Friday 14th August

Main Stage

11.00 - 11.30 MILLION DOLLAR RELOAD
12.00 - 12.30 BLITZKRIEG
12.55 - 13.35 INSOMNIUM
14.00 - 14.40 DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER
15.05 - 15.50 MUNICIPAL WASTE
16.20 - 17.05 KATATONIA
17.35 - 18.20 SODOM
18.50 - 19.50 SAXON
20.25 - 21.40 ARCH ENEMY
22.15 - 23.30 CARCASS

BLOODSTOCK UNSIGNED STAGE

11.30 - 12.00 VENTFLOW
12.15 - 12.45 BISON HAMMER
13.00 - 13.30 BLOODSHOT DAWN
13.45 - 14.15 LEFT TO BLEED
14.30 - 15.00 DIVINE CHAOS
15.15 - 15.45 SNAKEBITE
16.00 - 16.30 ALTERNATIVE CARPARK
16.45 - 17.15 BLINDFOLDS ASIDE
17.30 - 18.00 GODS OF HELLFIRE
18.15 - 18.45 GREEN RIVER PROJECT
19.00 - 19.30 VALLENBROSA

SOPHIE LANCASTER STAGE

11.00 - 16.00 GUITAR HERO FREEPLAY
16.05 - 18.00 4 DJ’S OF THE APOCALYPSE
18.00 - 18.40 GODSIZED
19.00 - 19.40 XERATH
20.00 - 20.40 MALEFICE
21.00 - 21.40 PYTHIA
22.00 - 23.30 4 DJ’S OF THE APOCALYPSE plus guest DJ’s
23.30 - 01.30 BLOODSTOCK KARAOKE

Saturday 15th August

Main Stage

10.30 - 10.50 UNCLE ROTTER
11.10 - 11.40 BATTLELORE
12.00 - 12.30 WOLF
12.50 - 13.30 THE HAUNTED
13.55 - 14.35 ENTOMBED
15.00 - 15.45 CANDLEMASS
16.15 - 17.00 ENSLAVED
17.30 - 18.15 KREATOR
18.45 - 19.45 APOCALYPTICA
20.20 - 21.35 BLIND GUARDIAN
22.10 - 23.25 CRADLE OF FILTH

11.30 - 12.00 THEY WILL RISE
12.15 - 12.45 NEFARIOUS
13.00 - 13.30 NIYAH SKY
13.45 - 14.15 SWITCHBLADE SCREAM
14.30 - 15.00 INTERNAL CONFLICT
15.15 - 15.45 SANCTORUM
16.00 - 16.30 INNER EDEN
16.45 - 17.15 OMT
17.30 - 18.00 SOLSIKK
18.15 - 18.45 HUNTED
19.00 - 19.30 SEVERED HEAVEN
19.30 ANNOUNCE WINNER OF M2TM’S WACKEN SLOT

SOPHIE LANCASTER STAGE

11.00 - 16.00 GUITAR HERO FINALS
16.05 - 17.55 4 DJ’s of The Apocalypse
18.00 - 18.40 CELESTY
19.00 - 19.40 ARTHEMIS
20.00 - 20.40 ABGOTT
21.00 - 21.40 THE ROTTED
21.40 - 23.30 4 DJs of the Apocalypse Plus special guest DJs*
23.30 - 01.30 Bloodstock Karaoke
01.30 - 02.00 4 DJs of the Apocalypse

Sunday 16th August

Main Stage

11.00 - 11.30 BEHOLDER
11.55 - 12.25 SABATON
12.50 - 13.30 GIRLSCHOOL
13.55 - 14.35 EQUILIBRIUM
15.05 - 15.50 ANATHEMA
16.20 - 17.05 TURISAS
17.35 - 18.20 MOONSPELL
18.50 - 19.50 AMON AMARTH
20.20 - 21.20 SATYRICON
22.00 - 23.30 EUROPE

11.30 - 12.00 EIBON LA FURIES
12.15 - 12.45 AGONYST
13.00 - 13.30 ANNWN
13.45 - 14.15 TRIAXIS
14.30 - 15.00 LONG TIME DEAD
15.15 - 15.45 PRIMITIVE GRAVEN IMAGE
16.00 - 16.30 SOWER
16.45 - 17.15 BIOMORTAL
17.30 - 18.00 NIGHTMARE WORLD
18.15 - 18.45 INTO THE WOODS
19.00 - 19.30 NYA

SOPHIE LANCASTER STAGE

11.00 - 16.00 GUITAR HERO FREEPLAY
16.05 - 17.55 4 DJ’s of the Apocalypse
18.00 - 18.40 ANTERIOR
19.00 - 19.40 DARKNESS DYNAMITE
20.00 - 20.40 TRIBE
21.00 - 21.40 EDEN'S CURSE
22.10 - 23.30 4 DJs of the Apocalypse
23.30 - 01.30 Bloodstock Karaoke
01.30 - 02.00 4 DJs of the Apocalypse

Quite looking forward to it! :D

EvilNed
07-Aug-2009, 07:05 PM
Dio is about as hardcore as I dare to venture. :p

Purge
09-Aug-2009, 06:31 AM
Got my ticket to the Thrash And Burn tour yesterday. Devildriver, Despised Icon, My Children My Bride, Veil of Maya, For the Fallen Dreams, Oceano, Periphery, and Thy Will Be Done will be playing. I'm mainly going for Devildriver; I heard one song ("Pray For Villains") on the radio and I was sold.

MikePizzoff
23-Aug-2009, 08:36 PM
Not our typical style (we're more death/thrash), but here's new track from my band:

uJoRUa8DaPc

capncnut
30-Aug-2009, 02:01 PM
Awesome, Pizzo. I'm tired as hell right now but that shit got me moshing.

Okay, I need a beer...

MikePizzoff
01-Sep-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks, man! Glad you liked it.

Once our new CD comes out, I'll send you a copy; it's going to have both 7inches, the cassette, 3 new songs, and a whole live set.

capncnut
02-Sep-2009, 09:06 AM
That would be great. I've listened to the track a few times since yesterday - fucking frantic stuff. I'll add you when I'm on MySpace later.

Mike70
02-Sep-2009, 12:42 PM
Not our typical style (we're more death/thrash), but here's new track from my band:

uJoRUa8DaPc

love the music in that tune - it's totally rocking.

Exatreides
02-Sep-2009, 04:26 PM
Damn mike its nice to see another thrash/grindcore fan on here.

Birdflesh is the shit, I have them on my new phone/mp3 player. Went and watched PLF a few months ago and they kicked ass.

Here's some classical metal for you guys.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YzOF9w8kG-c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YzOF9w8kG-c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The cover these three chicks is bad ass enough to be metal in its own right
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMKmQmkJ9gg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMKmQmkJ9gg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

MikePizzoff
02-Sep-2009, 06:16 PM
Went and watched PLF a few months ago and they kicked ass.

Hell yeah, man. Where are you from? PLF are buddies of ours and we've played with them a few times, the last time being out in Texas.

Exatreides
02-Sep-2009, 07:32 PM
Northern Indiana, went and watched them at the hole in Chicago. My friends play in Chicago a lot Stuckinarut/massive bastard with ADXM and flux capaciter. Often head up to chicago for shows in various places.

Mike70
10-Sep-2009, 12:35 PM
30 years in iron maiden is still making it funky enough. i think the stuff they've done in the last few years (brave new world, matter of life and death) is pretty darn good and some of the individual songs, like brave new world, hold up against their earlier stuff.

brighter than a thousand suns
tHY2qZhKMng

i know this is several years old now but if this isn't straight out of iron maiden's classic playbook, i've gone totally deaf.

brave new world
7B-r2sEBSyE

Purge
10-Sep-2009, 08:49 PM
You guys heard Devil Driver yet? Some of the best stuff I've heard in years.

-JS1r8dZeh8

3_z5L3tYXsw

krakenslayer
10-Sep-2009, 09:27 PM
30 years in iron maiden is still making it funky enough. i think the stuff they've done in the last few years (brave new world, matter of life and death) is pretty darn good and some of the individual songs, like brave new world, hold up against their earlier stuff

They're doing recording this winter, apparently, so be on the look out for a new album early next year! :hyper:

Mike70
15-Sep-2009, 02:24 PM
y'all might find this interesting. paul di'anno and his band playing "remember tomorrow."

QDkaRdqvuHs

capncnut
15-Sep-2009, 04:28 PM
His appearance is quite shocking when you compare it with this video from the early 80's.

oteIujb8yoY

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41003000/jpg/_41003964_buster_cheeks_203.jpg

Fucker looks like Buster Bloodvessel now. :lol:

At the end of the day though, this dude should be in Iron Maiden now. I know Bruce has a good voice and all that but everything past Powerslave is complete and utter gash IMO.

MikePizzoff
16-Sep-2009, 03:42 AM
Oh my god, that's Paul Di'anno?!?!?!?!

Mike70
16-Sep-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh my god, that's Paul Di'anno?!?!?!?!

yep. i think it's safe to say that paul's let himself go bigtime.

Mike70
25-Jan-2010, 11:22 PM
necromancy time.

anybody else heard the new slayer record, "world painted blood?"

MMeGZ89GARk

triste realtą
26-Jan-2010, 04:05 AM
No, although I heard that song once, I am too busy being old school and finding some lost gems like a track left off Metal Church s/t:

rjxcj8P60Ww

I did really like the new Voivod album Infini though.

Hopegiver
26-Jan-2010, 04:36 AM
The cover these three chicks is bad ass enough to be metal in its own right
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMKmQmkJ9gg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMKmQmkJ9gg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Now that was worth listening too...nice!

Tricky
30-Jan-2010, 06:19 PM
How about these guys, they play on cello's, pretty impressive!
0tN6_1dJveM

krakenslayer
30-Jan-2010, 08:44 PM
How about these guys, they play on cellos, pretty impressive!

They are incredible live. Seriously, if you ever get a chance, do it.

Their original stuff is even better than the Metallica covers they're most famous for:

4G3Ny7ACtqM

They're actually members of the Finnish National Orchestra and are considered world-class cellists in classical circles, but the get special dispensation to go and tour with their own band when they need to.

Rancid Carcass
30-Jan-2010, 10:10 PM
necromancy time.

anybody else heard the new slayer record, "world painted blood?"

MMeGZ89GARk

Bride of the Monster FTW!

Purge
31-Jan-2010, 04:56 PM
Brand monkey-spankin' new Fear Factory in a week:

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanize-Fear-Factory/dp/B00319ECHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264960475&sr=8-1

:hyper:

Tricky
31-Jan-2010, 06:03 PM
More hard rock than metal but i love these guys, booked my ticket to see them in April when they come to the UK :D

DO_X_7cJOkQ

krakenslayer
31-Jan-2010, 06:08 PM
At the end of the day though, this dude should be in Iron Maiden now. I know Bruce has a good voice and all that but everything past Powerslave is complete and utter gash IMO.

Come oooon man!: :p

7YC9bPK8Z_k

Although, I agree that Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son (so sue me maiden-geeks), No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark and Virtual XI were all sub-par albums (I removed The X Factor from this because it's a total departure and can't really be compared to any Maiden albums before or after), but every one had at least one decent song.

MikePizzoff
31-Jan-2010, 09:02 PM
That new Slayer track is leaps and bounds better than anything they've done in 2 decades.

Attending some sweet metal shit very soon:

-Cannibal Corpse, DRI, Voivod (!!!), Magrudergrind, Absu, and Brutal Truth for free in Columbus, OH (Mike, you better be there) on March 13th.

-Megadeth, Exodus, and Testament in Baltimore on March 16th. Megadeth will be playing Rust In Peace in it's fucking entirety!!!!!!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

-Maryland Deathfest May 27-30. This one's fucking insane. AUTOPSY, OBITUARY, GORGUST, ENTOMBED (!!!), SODOM, POSSESSED, ASPHYX (caught them last year and they were fucking great), POSSESSED (seen them a couple times, not so good live), EYEHATEGOD, PESTILENCE, IMPALED, BIRDFLESH, DECEASED, PENTAGRAM, DRI, and about 50 more. I don't think I've seen any of you ever mention having been to any of the Deathfests, but I highly recommend going; it's so much fucking fun. Plus the distros/vendors always have awesome/rare DVD's and shirts.

MikePizzoff
23-Feb-2010, 11:46 AM
Next Thursday I'm seeing mother fucking KREATOR and VOIVOD!!!!!!!!! Not to [re]mention, I'll be seeing Voivod again the following weekend, along with a slue of other greats!

Purge
06-Mar-2010, 07:31 PM
How do you guys like the new Fear Factory?

G1BTe_BstkY

MikePizzoff
28-Jun-2010, 10:08 PM
Here's a picture of me and my buddy hanging out with Orvar Safstrom at Maryland Deathfest. He's the singer/guitarist of Nirvana 2002 and was once in Entombed (did the vocals on the Crawl EP)! He's also "the Roger Ebert of Sweden", hosting a weekly movie review show. Very awesome/friendly dude - had a great time hanging with him.

Will have a picture of me with Jeroen from Pestilence, soon, as well!

krakenslayer
15-Jul-2010, 02:05 PM
Epic new sci-fi themed Iron Maiden video:

7oIGP0BUt8s?hd=1

SymphonicX
15-Jul-2010, 03:21 PM
I love the new fear factory!!!!!

Purge
15-Jul-2010, 11:44 PM
I love the new fear factory!!!!!

Saw them a month or so ago. Awesome show.

Since you guys brought up Voivod, what do you think of their Angel Rat album?

krakenslayer
26-Aug-2010, 09:48 PM
What do you guys think of Amon Amarth?

Feel the POWER:

JnT4VEaOALc

krakenslayer
10-Dec-2010, 07:44 PM
Overall, I think this new version is even better than the original. That's CHRISTOPHER LEE AT 2:25! How badass is that?

rqXTR1N1pLA

Yes, even better than Orson Welles (although his voiceover on Defeder is irreplaceable, methinks).

Mike70
11-Dec-2010, 11:40 AM
Overall, I think this new version is even better than the original. That's CHRISTOPHER LEE AT 2:25! How badass is that?

rqXTR1N1pLA

Yes, even better than Orson Welles (although his voiceover on Defeder is irreplaceable, methinks).

these assholes are still at it, huh? good for them, keep living that dream.

tell me, are they still on about "death to false metal" and "let every note i play be an arrow of death into the heart of false metal, etc.?"

"some call me the Warlord 'cause i'm a god damn bad machine."

man, their lyrics have always cracked me the fuck up.

oh and why is it that every other metal band out there now has a Sindarin name?

shootemindehead
11-Dec-2010, 12:29 PM
HEY!

They're the kings of metal!

Mike70
11-Dec-2010, 12:31 PM
HEY!

They're the kings of metal!

and they tell it to anyone who is listening.:D

MoonSylver
11-Dec-2010, 03:58 PM
Other bands play...ManO'War kills...;)

(& yeah Mike, from what I understand they're pretty huge in parts of Europe & South America. Google some of their Youtube videos & the festival crowds they're playing to are fucking MASSIVE.)

Mike70
11-Dec-2010, 05:57 PM
Other bands play...ManO'War kills...;)

(& yeah Mike, from what I understand they're pretty huge in parts of Europe & South America. Google some of their Youtube videos & the festival crowds they're playing to are fucking MASSIVE.)

i've checked some of those out. the crowds in germany, in particular, are humungous. i saw these guys a couple of times back in like 87-88ish. loud as a band of snow monkeys at it during the spring thaw and, of course, a completely over-the-top stage show/presence.

MoonSylver
11-Dec-2010, 08:32 PM
Well they ARE "the loudest band in the world". ;) (a fact that they're inordinately proud of :lol: ). I was quite impressed at how GOOD they sounded live as well though. If you're a fan of the albums, I thought they translated well live.

MikePizzoff
25-May-2011, 11:38 PM
Well, it's that time of the year again. Time for me to head down to Baltimore for 5 days of debauchery (sorry, liver). I'm heading down tomorrow afternoon and this time around I'll be catching the following bands:

Coroner
Voivod
Neurosis
Nuclear Assault
Corrosion Of Conformity
Doom
Cathedral
Tragedy
Exhumed
Nunslaughter
Aura Noir
Repugnant
Dropdead
Cianide
Flesh Parade
Lack Of Interest
Machetazo
Malignant Tumour
Noisear
Pulling Teeth

And maybe I'll catch some of the other gazillion bands playing, but I'll probably be too busy raging. I'll try to give some sort of report June 1.

Purge
28-May-2011, 10:04 PM
Any Killing Joke fans in the house? One of the best bands ever, IMO. The new album is solid.

HN6k8_q_Ofg

T869Obl03oE

Tricky
18-Oct-2011, 10:14 PM
Up and coming Brit rock band to keep an eye on!
3cfrTkAYGiQ

:cool:

Darksider18
01-Nov-2011, 03:30 PM
I havent been able to buy anything metal related lately so instead, ive been using myspace and youtube for my metal fixes. ;). Im also a metal guitarist so ive been playing alot of BvB, trivium and slipknot aswell. Has anyone heard Jeff Loomis? Hes pretty damn godly! lol.

Mike70
01-Nov-2011, 09:06 PM
W.

dude, remember when we were talking about record collections? i got rid of some of stuff and made a mint. i've never been destructive, so all my stuff was in damn awesome shape. got rid of a slayer postmortem maxi-single and first pressings of "killers", "maiden Japan", "the number of the beast", "piece of mind", "don't break the oath", and "ride the lighting." i was very happy when i left the record shop.