PDA

View Full Version : Alien Poll

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 06:06 PM
I was watching the 'assembly cut' of Alien 3 recently and I was blown away by how superior it was to the official release. So with that in mind, I have decided to make an Alien Poll. The Alien vs Predator films are excluded because I think neither are as good as any of the original four.

I went with the first film. I think the whole series ranks pretty much in order of release.

Mike70
18-Feb-2008, 06:09 PM
i went with the first one as well. a straight up scifi/horror movie and a classic.

the second one is too actiony and too james cameron (don't care for him at all).

the third one is good but a bit grungy and too industrial looking for me.

after that one i lost iinterest i the series.

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 06:17 PM
Obviously I agree with you Scip, the first film hasn't aged a single bit and I never tire of it.

I think Aliens was a superb action movie with many quotable lines of dialogue. The project as a whole was incredibly ballsy - it was bad enough with one of those things chasing after you but thousands?

As I said, the assembly cut of Alien 3 was waaay better than the official version released but I just wish they went along with Vincent Ward's original vision. Monks? A wooden planet? Far out but interesting.

Alien Resurrection sucks cock as far as I'm concerned. :dead:

SymphonicX
18-Feb-2008, 06:24 PM
Actually I am probably the only person who likes 'em all! They do indeed get worse after aliens but generally I think they're all pretty decent. I still love Aliens, one of the best sequels ever made...!!!

acealive1
18-Feb-2008, 06:49 PM
Aliens

why?

because they actually werent being slaughtered and had a chance to fight.

Mutineer
18-Feb-2008, 06:49 PM
Aliens

Simply awesome.

bassman
18-Feb-2008, 06:59 PM
I wish I could vote for two of the choices....

I love the first two equally but for totally different reasons. I had to go with Aliens. I thought there was much more to Ripley's character and the marine aspect made it one hell of a thrill ride. More so than Scott's original, imo. The tagline summed the film up perfectly: "This time it's war":cool:

I would love to see what David Fincher's original vision of Alien 3 was. I hear that the assembly cut is the closest to it, but it's still not what he wanted. He absolutely denounces that film and even begged the studio to take his name off of it. Of course....they didnt...

acealive1
18-Feb-2008, 07:01 PM
I wish I could vote for two of the choices....

I love the first two equally but for totally different reasons. I had to go with Aliens. I thought there was much more to Ripley's character and the marine aspect made it one hell of a thrill ride. More so than Scott's original, imo. The tagline summed the film up perfectly: "This time it's war":cool:

I would love to see what David Fincher's original vision of Alien 3 was. I hear that the assembly cut is the closest to it, but it's still not what he wanted. He absolutely denounces that film and even begged the studio to take his name off of it. Of course....they didnt...

killing off newt and hicks made no sense.

EvilNed
18-Feb-2008, 07:05 PM
First one. Still creepy. Still awesome. The one I re-watch the most. Tho I do like them all.

bassman
18-Feb-2008, 07:05 PM

Yeah. Maybe if we could have seen where the film was originally supposed to go it would have made more sense. Apparently the studio just changed things around during filming.

I heard that Michael Beihn got paid more money for his image being shown once in Alien 3 than he did for Aliens.:lol:

acealive1
18-Feb-2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah. Maybe if we could have seen where the film was originally supposed to go it would have made more sense. Apparently the studio just changed things around during filming.

I heard that Michael Beihn got paid more money for his image being shown once in Alien 3 than he did for Aliens.:lol:

:lol::lol:

i'd have liked to see a USCM sequel

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 07:19 PM
Yup, true. At his request and out of spite for killing off Hicks. :D

I think Alien 3 is underappreciated. I know I'm a fan of the movie but it would've been a fitting end to the trilogy if they used the assembly cut. What the hell possessed them to re-edit and add an alien bursting from her stomach at the end is beyond me.

In the assembly cut, the Sulaco plays a much bigger role and the deaths of Newt and Hicks are more justified.

bassman
18-Feb-2008, 07:27 PM
Yup, true. At his request and out of spite for killing off Hicks. :D

I think Alien 3 is underappreciated. I know I'm a fan of the movie but it would've been a fitting end to the trilogy if they used the assembly cut. What the hell possessed them to re-edit and add an alien bursting from her stomach at the end is beyond me.

In the assembly cut, the Sulaco plays a much bigger role and the deaths of Newt and Hicks are more justified.

This makes me want to buy that SE of Alien 3.

The bad thing is, I bought Alien and Aliens in that edition when I should have got the entire series set. The "Quadrilogy" as they called it.:rolleyes:

MinionZombie
18-Feb-2008, 07:34 PM
I voted Aliens, Cameron's film is just a masterpiece of sci-fi-horror. I dare you not to get totally wrapped up and all heart-racy during the two key action sequences (in the hive at Sub-Level 2 when Ripley goes all Colin McCrae with the APC) and the operations room shoot out - SUPERB. The music was great during those sequences, after seeing the film countless times, it still gets me on the edge of my seat.

Alien would be second for me, I recently got the 2-discs for Alien, Aliens and Alien3 and really grew a large appreciation for Alien (no, not in my pants! :p). It's a superb film and you really appreciate it much more with the background story of its making.

Alien3 - the assembly cut - is fookin' brilliant I say. Way better than the original version, which I initially didn't like, but then ended up liking quite a bit (way better than Alien 4, which was just a bunch of people running around a space ship, it was all rather average - although certain stylistic elements, or invented technology moments were spiffing).

Anyway, the Assembly Cut of Alien3 is a must-see for all Alien series fans. It really feels much more like a David Fincher film, it just feels ... classy ... it feels artistic, you really appreciate what Fincher was trying to do to the best of his ability at the time with that film. It's just a shame that it seems all the films have had troubled productions...it seems that Scott, Cameron and Fincher all got bitching left, right & centre through their respective productions...but they're all great films, but Alien 3 comes third for me because the story was a bit wonky here and there ... and killing of Hicks is inexcusable - HICKS WAS AWESOME!

I still like to think of Alien3 as in a different universe, like an alternate reality of something, cos it's just harsh that Hicks goes through all that - being so heroic, manly and awesome (the dude jumps through a f*cking window - that is pure MAN right there) - and then gets crushed by a pillar. :rolleyes:

Still though, Alien3 assembly cut - noiiice. But Aliens and then Alien come before, for me.

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 07:36 PM
This makes me want to buy that SE of Alien 3.
Get the fuggin' Quadrilogy!
The assembly cut is like watching a completely different movie. There's so much that's wrong with the official version. Apart from the stuff that I've already mentioned, the way the Alien makes its appearance is much more satisfying and the character Golic (Paul McGann, whose character was cut down significantly in the theatrical and just simply vanished without explanation) is a major player in the story, lasting a good twenty minutes longer. Ach, I don't wanna spoil it for ya so I'll shut my trap on the spoiler front.

But the Fiorina setting is awesome; the rubble, oily seas (hence why Ripley looked so dirty when revived), the lice, everything is on a much more grander scale. I believe its a good 15-20 minutes or more before a single word is uttered!

Buy it, download it, do what you will.

Still though, Alien3 assembly cut - noiiice.
You know it makes sense, Rodders. :D

slickwilly13
18-Feb-2008, 09:14 PM
I read there was also major problems between Weaver and Beihn. I read one script in which Hicks was the main character. If I remember correctly, there was more than one Xenomorph.

bassman
18-Feb-2008, 10:27 PM
Get the fuggin' Quadrilogy!

What I meant is that I already have the Alien and Aliens discs of the quadrilogy set and I need to also get Alien 3. Alien Resurrection can burn in hell as far as im concerned.:mad:

AcesandEights
18-Feb-2008, 10:43 PM
I went with the first film. I think the whole series ranks pretty much in order of release.

I agree. Alien is a classic film and Aliens, I feel, is awesome and happens to be my fav blockbuster film of the 80s.

bassman
18-Feb-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree. Alien is a classic film and Aliens, I feel, is awesome and happens to be my fav blockbuster film of the 80s.

You take that back and say Ghostbusters right this minute young man!:p

3pidemiC
19-Feb-2008, 12:03 AM
Aliens to this day is still considered by me to be the greatest film ever made. I absolutely love everything about this film. I even dedicated a piece of my shoulder (Pvt. Hudson tattoo) to it.

Alien and Alien 3 are also some my favorite films.

Alien: Resurrection can suck it.

Terran
19-Feb-2008, 12:20 AM
From the testimonies here about the Alien 3 special edition I decided to watch it tonight....because I have never seen this version of the movie.....and wow...its like a different movie altogether......I never "hated" Alien 3 before hand....but this version I can actually say is good....wow totally surprised at how different it is..

acealive1
19-Feb-2008, 12:24 AM
Aliens to this day is still considered by me to be the greatest film ever made. I absolutely love everything about this film. I even dedicated a piece of my shoulder (Pvt. Hudson tattoo) to it.

Alien and Alien 3 are also some my favorite films.

Alien: Resurrection can suck it.

nice way to show your love for the movie,bro.

alien resurrection had the right dark feel just like aliens but the whole alien love thing didnt work so well. also the alien saying "mama" was cheezy

Eyebiter
19-Feb-2008, 12:35 AM
"In 1979, we discovered in space, no one can hear you scream. In 1992, we will discover on earth, everyone can hear you scream." And Fox wondered why Aliens fans were disappointed in the third film?

Legion2213
19-Feb-2008, 11:42 AM
I was watching the 'assembly cut' of Alien 3 recently and I was blown away by how superior it was to the official release. So with that in mind, I have decided to make an Alien Poll. The Alien vs Predator films are excluded because I think neither are as good as any of the original four.

I went with Alien - For it's sheer terrifying atmosphere, Aliens was a great action movie, some wonderful stuff in that one.

I also agree that the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3 is far, far superior to the original, very enjoyable.

The less said about "Resurection", the better.

BTW, I assume all you guys have the "Alien Quadrilogy 9 Disc Box Set"?....Superb DVD package!

capncnut
19-Feb-2008, 12:57 PM
I assume all you guys have the "Alien Quadrilogy 9 Disc Box Set"?....Superb DVD package!
Certainly do, everything from the film extras to the menus and packaging is perfect. £15 in HMV if anyone from the UK is interested.

Neil
19-Feb-2008, 02:45 PM
Aliens

Simply awesome.

Stunning production! Everything looks usable and real and COOL!

The dialog was great! The characters was great! And most importantly it didn't rape/dishonour the original in any way, but built on it perfectly!

Even what they cut out for the cinema cut was great! Putting it back in made the film even better!

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2008, 03:46 PM
Certainly do, everything from the film extras to the menus and packaging is perfect. £15 in HMV if anyone from the UK is interested.
I got Alien through Alien3 with the 2-disc versions (the Quadrilogy split up by the films for separate purchases). I feel a bit of a schmuck for buying those three separate now, but meh...didn't really plan it initially. Bought the Alien3 one on a whim, so I was kinda tied to that route...plus Resurrection sucks. :D

SRP76
19-Feb-2008, 10:27 PM
The first one. No need for stupid bells and whistles and videogame-style violence. It stands as is, unlike the others, that need gimmicks to hook the audience.

AcesandEights
19-Feb-2008, 10:56 PM
You take that back and say Ghostbusters right this minute young man!:p

It's funny, but I suppose it's because of the style of Ghostbusters that I don't consider it to fall into a blockbuster mold in the manner that I choose to think of blockbusters, though I suppose you bring up a good point. However, Ghostbusters was my fav childhood movie and I used to know every single line :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
20-Feb-2008, 10:19 AM
Gimmicks?

One of the key selling points was the Alien itself in the first film, and the insane, never-before-seen design of Giger's world.

Doc
08-Dec-2008, 10:28 PM
Alien- Was one of the best simply because, off how little you saw the creature and the suspense was used in place of special effects and a groundbreaking, film that set the standard for science fiction films to follow.

Aliens- Better than the first in some ways, Locations changed and more characters. Although..to me atleast it set the series into a confusing path with complicated terminology and confusing scenerios.

Alien 3- I personally though this one is alittle underrated. Although it further confusion when Ripley has an alien queen growing inside her. But what they cease to explain is how and when it got there, when it was very clear there was nothing on board the Sulaco at the end of the second film.

Alien: Resurrection- By far the most confusing in the series. At the end of the third film, Ripley is seen killing herself by jumping into molten lead...and right before she hit, the alien inside her bursted out, quickly being killed. In this film, they somehow recover her body from the lead (impossible, even in the ALIEN universe) and clone her. Not to mention at the end, a NEW alien is born without explanation, looking completely different from any other alien in the series.

clanglee
08-Dec-2008, 10:36 PM
Alien is the scariest to me. But Aliens is a childhood favorite for me. I've seen that movie more than any other. So Aliens would be my favorite mostly. . . .
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/Aliens-newt.jpg

. . .mostly

AcesandEights
08-Dec-2008, 10:42 PM
Alien is a classic and a landmark film, but Aliens was great and I do mean spectacularly great fun! Somewhat scary when you're a kid, tense, great action, awesome set design & good effects and eminently quotable!

http://www.automopedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/illpaxton.jpg

Game over man! Game over!

Edit: Duck and cover for an incoming Bassman reminding us this poll was just done earlier this year! ;)

capncnut
08-Dec-2008, 11:13 PM
Click (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=9845&referrerid=716). :rolleyes:

My original vote still stands.

ProfessorChaos
08-Dec-2008, 11:19 PM
it's tough to top the original, altough aliens is pretty close.

say, that gives me an idea for a new thread....:lol:

capn, maybe you should lock this thread or merge it with the "remake":|

capncnut
08-Dec-2008, 11:29 PM
capn, maybe you should lock this thread or merge it with the "remake":|
Done. :D

Yojimbo
08-Dec-2008, 11:47 PM
Aliens was a nice action flick ride, and very entertaining, but I have to go with the OG Alien. It was a landmark sci-fi/horror film, and (perhaps it was because I was in grade school at the time) it was the scariest film ever! That chestburster moment -like helicopter zombie and Wooley's tenenment headshot zombie in DOTD - altered horror forever.

DawnGirl27
09-Dec-2008, 01:54 AM
Aliens (mayhaps my sig gives that away? :p) - great action, catchy one-liners, good characters, and more or Ripley kickin' butt. Alien is right behind it, though. Like 'em both, but gotta' go with Aliens for my #1...

Bub666
09-Dec-2008, 03:19 AM
I voted for Aliens,it was a great movie.

Doc
09-Dec-2008, 04:18 AM
Click (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=9845&referrerid=716). :rolleyes:

Oops. Sorry, boss.:annoyed:

I agree! You have to understand that Fincher was a first-time director that was working without a finished script under insane pressure from Fox (the trailers were already out with the release date when they were filming). Still, it has a great atmosphere of a dark future.

3pidemiC
09-Dec-2008, 04:52 AM
Aliens is my favorite movie of all time. Notice anything similar between Hudson and my arm?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/trioxin/tattoo/tatt11.jpg

I'm also a very big fan of the original Alien and Alien 3. I really don't want to talk about that other film...

wayzim
09-Dec-2008, 12:39 PM

Preachin to the choir.

As a fan of the first two films, I dutifully went off to see Alien 3 only to be mightly ticked off by what was on the screen, mostly because I'd already read the follow up graphic novel by Dark Horse comics ( with a teenage newt and badly scarred Hicks. )

Later I warmed to it, after writing my own script change in which Ripley's sleeper unit is isolated at the first sign of alien infection and ejected from the ship. Later she'd sacrifice herself (as in the film)to save the spacecraft from it's decaying orbit and kill the alien within her.

Alien Resurrection made no sense whatsoever. Where did they get the genetic material from? She fell into a blinkin blast furnace.

I actually liked parts of Alien Vs Predator, but it felt somewhat like a botched edit job.

Wayne Z

MinionZombie
09-Dec-2008, 12:56 PM
AvP?! That was ATROCIOUS! And it neutered TWO R-Rated franchises in one go, the sequel, while regaining the gore, was also complete sh*t - an awful script, rubbish acting, and the camera was too shaky and the image too dark during the battles, so you couldn't see a damn thing.

In Alien Resurrection, wasn't the genetic material blood samples or something, no doubt taken by the doctor in Alien 3?

Have you seen the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3 - the version closest to what David Fincher intended? It's so much better than the theatrical cut, and you suddenly realise just how incomprehensible the theatrical cut was.

Despite being a smidge rough around the edges (being an assembly cut), it's far better, makes more sense, and really feels like a David Fincher film, it almost feels artistic - in the best sense. Highly recommended.

bassman
09-Dec-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh come on, MZ. The second Alien VS Predator was miles ahead of Paul Anderon's suck fest. True, it still isn't the AVP film that we SHOULD have and it had many problems, but it put Anderson's to shame. Anderson is quickly approaching suck levels equal to that of Boll.

Speaking of the Predator franchise....does anyone here consider Predator 2 to be better than the first? I've had someone tell me that before...

3pidemiC
09-Dec-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I really appreciated Alien 3 a lot more when I saw the "Assembly Cut" (assming that's what you mean by the cut in the Quadrilogy pack). I especially like the Morse throat-slitting scene to let the alien back out. Truely shows what a crazy f*ck he really was.

Oh, and did you watch the full "Making of..." for this film? Talks about how the original idea was going to be on a man-made wooden planet. Where men live as monks to escape all technology and live primitive lives? Very intriguing.

slickwilly13
09-Dec-2008, 05:00 PM
The alien/predator hybrid was cool looking. Other than that. I didn't care for the movie. It didn't follow the rules of the previous movies. But I was glad they made it R and it was better than the first movie.

MinionZombie
09-Dec-2008, 05:07 PM
3p - aye, I watched all the making ofs for the Alien 1 through 3 double disc DVDs (I got those separately, rather than the quad boxset, which I explained about earlier in the thread a while back, long story).

Anyway, yeah, a wooden planet ... erm, NO. :lol:

Interesting idea - but it would have sucked balls and just been too silly, especially for the Alien franchise.

As for the 'PredAlien' - the name sucks, and is as clunky and obvious as the hybrid itself, which was so damned obvious it just underwhelmed all over itself - like "let's pick these identifying features, cram them together like a toddler might with a Mr Potato Head, and go with that", it was a whole bucket of gimmick is what it was.

AvP2 was better than AvP1 ... but BOTH were absolute SH*T. Fetid sh*t, in fact. I mean ... they're so goddamned awful it's undeniable.

As for Predator 2 - I really dig that flick, really takes me back to my youth, but Predator 1 is definitely the better of the two, no argument, hands down fact-juice all over your face, running off into a fact-puddle at your feet, all sticky and such. :D

Exatreides
09-Dec-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm actually quite fond of both Predator films. The first one was just a classic, Arnold at his best IMHO.

The second, I just loved the atmosphere of the decaying LA, the crazy news reporter, the train ride. It was a great flick.

Alien was good...
Aliens was better..
Alien 3 Theatrical(Only seen that) was...bad
Alien resurrection was...badder

AVP=Suck
AVP2= Haven't seen.

capncnut
09-Dec-2008, 05:35 PM
Oh, and did you watch the full "Making of..." for this film? Talks about how the original idea was going to be on a man-made wooden planet. Where men live as monks to escape all technology and live primitive lives? Very intriguing.
Yup. That was from Vincent Ward's script, which I enjoyed immensely.

3pidemiC
09-Dec-2008, 05:55 PM
I almost walked out during AvP2.

Probably the worst dialogue/acting that I have seen in a theatrical movie in a long time.

Exa,
Watch the directors cut of the third film, it may change your mind.

SRP76
09-Dec-2008, 05:59 PM
I'll still stick with the original. Aliens was just a rehash with a bunch of shooting and explosions thrown in. Cool movie, but not necessary once you've seen the first. Everything after that belongs in the trashcan. I'm ashamed to have watched them.

ProfessorChaos
09-Dec-2008, 09:06 PM
yeah, the original predator rocks the motherfukken house beyond belief. easily one of the best films of the eighties, imo. i'd say without hesitation that the original predator is a far superior film to alien.

maybe we should start another poll about which of those two films is preferred amongst us.:rockbrow:

3pidemiC
09-Dec-2008, 09:58 PM
Although I absolutely love the original Predator (and have since I was a wee kid), I don't think it can hold a candle to the filmaking, atmosphere, plot, acting, and tension of the original Alien.

Doc
09-Dec-2008, 11:34 PM
AvP2 was better than AvP1 ... but BOTH were absolute SH*T. Fetid sh*t, in fact. I mean ... they're so goddamned awful it's undeniable.

Hmm...I haven't seen those yet but, after what you said...I guess I'll stay away.

RustyHicks
19-Dec-2008, 07:51 PM
It was hard to choose between Alien and Aliens,
but I went with Alien...Aliens was so close behind though.
Alien is a classic, sci fi horror movie that really was intense
the first viewing...Never see the alien until the end, kind of like
Jaws, never see the shark until the end

I was peeved off when I went and saw Aliens 3 at the show and
found out they killed off Hicks, I thought he was so cool, plus to have
a character have the same last name as me was also cool...but after
buying the nine disc box set and seeing the directors cut of Alien 3,
I've learned to appreciate it more.

Won't even mention Wionna Ryder and the fourth film

MinionZombie
19-Dec-2008, 09:56 PM
I think Alien 3 ever only actually works in the assembly cut. After seeing the assembly cut, you can't imagine how you ever watched the theatrical cut - which is comparitively a giant mess.

Hicks was f*cking awesome - when playing with mates, you'd always end up fighting over who got to play Hicks - or indeed, who got to play as Reese if you were playing Terminator. Indeed.

3pidemiC
20-Dec-2008, 03:51 AM
Not me man. Hudson all the way!

Dachan-da
29-Apr-2009, 12:07 PM
Firstly, I did a boo boo. I didn’t look hard enough in the forum and set up a thread for Alien(s), it wasn’t a “pole”, but there really wasn’t any point in setting it up with this thread being here.
Here’s (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=13608) the link for it anyway

Ok, so here I go again….. (well copy and paste again)
I love the alien I’m a huge Alien fan, a ‘Fan-boy’ in fact (as I believe that’s what the kids on the net call it these days). The Alien franchise is the sole reason I got into horror films, art and in a funny way, zombies.
The first film I saw when I was about 7 years old, and it made me wet my self, literally! It still stands the test of time as a fantastic horror film, and is still pulling new fans constantly. Riddly Scott made a beautifully shot film that will hold its own against most modern horror films.
Aliens (James Cameron) just blew me away, it’s a monster of an action science fiction film, it managed to do the first film justice and didn’t destroy the story line.
Alien3 again was, in my eyes, awesome, and somewhat romantic oddly.
Alien resurrection…… well, I like it because it’s part of the alien films, but all in all I feel it was a failed attempt to expand the story.

I do love the AvP films (due to my love of the Predator, or Yautja as it’s sometimes referred to) but I don’t feel that they were a ‘valid’ addition to the Alien films.
Oh, I voted for Alien, it was a fight between the first two, but I went with the one that ‘showed me the way’ lol

bassman
29-Apr-2009, 12:30 PM
What ever happened to that stylized Marines cartoon that popped up a year or so ago? :rockbrow:

Dachan-da
29-Apr-2009, 12:52 PM
What ever happened to that stylized Marines cartoon that popped up a year or so ago? :rockbrow:
Never heard of it. There is something like that in the GTA game for the Xbox/PS3 on one of the tv shows, it kinda parallels the marines in a way

DjfunkmasterG
29-Apr-2009, 12:55 PM
Need we even have a poll on this? Everyone knows Camerons Aliens is the best frigging one of the series. :elol:

Dachan-da
30-Apr-2009, 06:57 AM
I love the director’s cut of Aliens; it’s such a more satisfying viewing experience. But Alien is still top dog in my books