PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother Bollox Britain...

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2008, 10:42 AM
The insanity continues, this just in from Labour:

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/awwb.htm#Detention_Record

All 14 year olds will have their school records online and publicly viewable, and it is thought this will be another back door attempt to force people into getting an ID card. :mad:

...and...

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/awbb.htm#Labour_to_Dismantle_Democracy

Positive Discrimination made legal to deny white politicians in certain constituencies to socially engineer the make-up of parliament.

I've no problem what colour an MP is, or where they choose to stick their winkies on the weekend, but surely it's the best man/woman for the job. Being a certain colour doesn't automatically make you a great fireman, MP, teacher or whatever - surely it's about being the best candidate for the job.

You can't have positive discrimination without DISCRIMINATION.

So, the absolutely idiotic garbage continues to flow. :mad:

Neil
19-Feb-2008, 11:26 AM
Have no issue with the first one...

Yes, the second one seems crazy! They say do away with racism in one sentence, and then go and highlight race in the next... Seriously, if we didn't make any hooha about race & colour of skins for a generation it would all just sort itself out... But the more we highlight racial issues, the more of an issue it becomes as we train the next generation to simply not ignore it. It's a self-fullfilling-prophecy...

Legion2213
19-Feb-2008, 11:52 AM
You can't have positive discrimination without DISCRIMINATION.

Word. :mad:

Danny
19-Feb-2008, 12:21 PM
see, its **** like this that makes me want to move to toronto or something when my degree finishes.

Neil
19-Feb-2008, 12:41 PM
see, its **** like this that makes me want to move to toronto or something when my degree finishes.

The ever escalating cost of living here, and my concerns that ever more of it is simply be wasted makes me consider Vancouver!

To think if I sold up (gave up) here I'd have over half a million canadian dollars to my name!!! While here, I've even had to stop paying into my pension to keep afloat!

Council tax, road tax, tax on earnings, VAT, stamp duty, death duty, fuel tax.... FFS! And sooo much of it just wasted away no doubt!

Danny
19-Feb-2008, 12:57 PM
Im not joking im seriously considering moving to canada when my degrees done, i was saying to some freinds the other day i just dont see myself buying a house in england and living here, its a beautiful country but the people and the goverment seems to be leaning heavily onto the ****e side of the good bad ratio.

Mike70
19-Feb-2008, 12:58 PM
The ever escalating cost of living here, and my concerns that ever more of it is simply be wasted makes me consider Vancouver!

To think if I sold up (gave up) here I'd have over half a million canadian dollars to my name!!! While here, I've even had to stop paying into my pension to keep afloat!

Council tax, road tax, tax on earnings, VAT, stamp duty, death duty, fuel tax.... FFS! And sooo much of it just wasted away no doubt!

or if you really want to hang onto your money - move to new hampshire. no income tax and no sales tax...

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2008, 03:44 PM
hehe, perhaps hellsing, Neil and I can all move in together then, cos I was thinking of bunking off for Canada ... mind you, I can't even afford to support myself in the UK, so I couldn't even afford one plane ticket over...still though, thoughts in the bank you know. At the very least I wanna go to Canada some day.

Anyway, the first one is an issue because it's the thin end of the wedge - like all the other daft ideas (e.g. that internet thing, their Dangerous Pictures Act, etc) - all thin ends of the same wedge, which all add up. If you let one slide, another will slide and then it becomes a landslide in itself.

Heck, we're the most surveiled and tracked people in the modern world, we put America to shame with our obsession with CCTV (which just records your death at the hands of happy slappers, rather than a copper in size 12 boots who'll chase them down and cuff the c*nts).

Thin end of the wedge. Also - what the crap are referees for on your CV? At most it should be something in your Record of Achievement (do they still do those things?) and an employer should ask for it, if you don't produce it, you don't get the job or it certainly does you no favours - but why again with the super computer database?

These schmucks have proven time and again they're useless at keeping data secure. 25 million people's details lost in the post, laptops getting stolen left-right-and-centre by idiots who leave them on the passenger seat of their car, filled with personal data and so on and so forth.

You have to challenge that sort of data collecting and surveillance because before you know it, it literally will be 1984. Heck, we're far too close already.

Chic Freak
19-Feb-2008, 04:18 PM
I think the first one is a good idea. I'd have been much likely to bunk off school if I'd know my parents could have got a look at my records online.

I didn't read the second one, but am generally against so-called "positive" discrimination. It is a shame that society is still prejudiced against certain groups of people, and therefore that a need for positive discrimination arises, but I think it causes more bad feeling than anything else.