PDA

View Full Version : English majors/professors/aficionado's - HELP!!!

MikePizzoff
19-Feb-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm doing horrible in English Comp I. It's an online class with no book so I'm barely learning anything. When I submit my essay's they're sent back to me filled with nothing but bad remarks from the teacher on things I did wrong.

Is there anybody here that would, out of the kindness of their dead hearts, feel like proof-reading some of my 500-word essay's when I write them and help me correct them?

I can't really think of any sort of reward other than appreciation, since I'm flat broke.

Mike70
19-Feb-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm doing horrible in English Comp I. It's an online class with no book so I'm barely learning anything. When I submit my essay's they're sent back to me filled with nothing but bad remarks from the teacher on things I did wrong.

Is there anybody here that would, out of the kindness of their dead hearts, feel like proof-reading some of my 500-word essay's when I write them and help me correct them?

I can't really think of any sort of reward other than appreciation, since I'm flat broke.

i'd be willing to help you out with that mike. i have more formal education that is probably good for me. i have taught before (not english though) and the last job i worked at before taking up full time parenting was as an editor.

Eyebiter
19-Feb-2008, 10:43 PM
Once you have written down the essay go back and read it out loud. Make changes as necessary. Then read it again. You will be amazed how many errors you catch this way.

AcesandEights
19-Feb-2008, 11:18 PM
If it's your native language I suggest you learn it, live it and love it.

Start small by printing some simple rules off the web and using them to check your work. Another good thing to do is take note of how your fav authors structure their sentences, especially their longer sentences.

One example of a decent online guide. (http://www.english.uiuc.edu/cws/wworkshop/writer_resources/grammar_handbook/grammar_handbook.htm)

Many links. (http://www.rong-chang.com/grammar.htm)

slickwilly13
20-Feb-2008, 01:10 AM
I minored in English.

Chic Freak
20-Feb-2008, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't mind doing it. I'm completely anal about correct grammar, spelling etc and got an A in English Lit at A Level :)

My email is contact@anitadebauch.co.uk.

slickwilly13
20-Feb-2008, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't mind doing it. I'm completely anal about correct grammar, spelling etc and got an A in English Lit at A Level :)

My email is contact@anitadebauch.co.uk.

Me, too. Eng 1301 was an easy A for me.

MikePizzoff
20-Feb-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks a lot, guys. I'm good with my spelling and punctuation for the most part. The stuff he seems to be really anal about is omitting many phrases and words that are deemed unnecessary that I would never even realize were.

Danny
20-Feb-2008, 05:16 PM
contrary to my poor typing skills, english was my forte' at school, see what you should be thinking is your asking these guys to teach you, but getting pissed when they point out your faults, there there for you to learn from ,not to sugar coat your mistakes.
harsh i know, but this honky speaks the truth.

slickwilly13
20-Feb-2008, 08:24 PM
Dude, just send it to me and I'll look at it. I actually took a Jr level course that taught how to grade English papers. I won't promise and A, but your grade will be better than what it is. Also take note on which type of essay you must write. You don't want to write a cause and effect paper when you are supposed to write definition essay.