PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil: Extinction

Suicycho
23-Feb-2008, 02:15 PM
So I just watched the DVD this week.

It wasn't a bad movie, but what really struck me was just how much of a re-hash of Day of the Dead it was, particularly the Umbrella corp scenes.

The fence encircled compound surrounded by zombies. Expedition to the surface to round up zombies for experimentation.

The attempts to civilize the zombies.

The last few survivors escaping in a helicopter as the zombie horde closes in.

A good drinking game could be made while watching RE:Extinction. Everytime you see a direct Day of the Dead rip-off, you take a shot.

Mike70
23-Feb-2008, 03:03 PM
So I just watched the DVD this week.

It wasn't a bad movie, but what really struck me was just how much of a re-hash of Day of the Dead it was, particularly the Umbrella corp scenes.

The fence encircled compound surrounded by zombies. Expedition to the surface to round up zombies for experimentation.

The attempts to civilize the zombies.

The last few survivors escaping in a helicopter as the zombie horde closes in.

A good drinking game could be made while watching RE:Extinction. Everytime you see a direct Day of the Dead rip-off, you take a shot.

i thought pretty much the same. not a bad movie but not a great (or even really good) one either. a rather inoffensive way to kill 90mins or so why you catch a buzz and that is about all that can be said about it.

i thought the whole undead birds thing a bit much and it reminded me of another great movie - the birds by hitchcock.

there do seem to be whole sections of the movie lifted from day. the compound surrounded by the undead being one of the more blatant ones.

damn it suicycho, now that this thread has me thinking about it, i am considering watching this again and listing all the day-rape moments - and it is all your fault.:lol:

Yojimbo
23-Feb-2008, 03:39 PM
I totally agree that this one was a blatant DAY rip. They even had a "Bub" like character who they had playing around with household items. I halfway expected them to ask him to say hello to aunt alicia.

That being said, I kinda enjoyed watching this piece of crap though I hate to admit it. Of the Resident Evil series, this one pissed me off less than the others- not saying much since the others are on the level of House of the Dead = Not fit to smell my poo. But, yeah, on a comparative basis, not as bad as the previous films, but not good enough to go out an buy, except as a used $1.00 item, and even then the dollar would be better spent on a pack of chewing gum.

Suicycho
23-Feb-2008, 07:13 PM
They even had a "Bub" like character who they had playing around with household items. I halfway expected them to ask him to say hello to aunt alicia.

:lol::lol::lol:

Legion2213
23-Feb-2008, 09:29 PM
Why didn't they just stick with the source material?

There is half a dozen games worth of things to work into a movie there...loads of cool moments IMO.

bd2999
24-Feb-2008, 03:54 AM
I was actually disappointed in this movie. I really liked the first 20 minutes or so of part 2, RE 2 was my favorite video game and 3 was not far behind but I really don't like Alice. Anyway, this movie seemed like it lacked to much direction. Not that the acting was bad or anything but the script just seemed empty to me.

There was the nod to Day in the first film, and as you guys are saying this is really close to it with underground basis and the world basicly overrun by undead. I didn't think the whole Mad Max idea was that creative though and I still don't understand how the world was turned into a desert by the T virus. Granted, it is a nasty thing but it usually did not destroy life, it mutated it or brought it back from the dead. So things would keep on living more than just dieing off as they should have. And if that was just that part of the world, than why would you pick the desert?

My dislike of Alice and the whole Mad Max (I like Mad Max I just did not like how it was done in Extinction) thing aside the movie was probably average. I think it was the worst of the bunch, the bird attack was cool but did not really add anything. The super zombies were sort of pointless IMO and the old doctor was just sort of there and got to be there for a boss battle at the end. Did not really add a whole lot.

Just sort of aside, and not to knock any of the movies for this, but come on. How does Umbrella get investors to go for this sort of thing? I saw a flash cartoon along these lines a while back that was pretty funny. I mean the hazard ratio is crazy, and they seem to higher really smart staff that are criminally insane and higher stupid underlings. Bad buisness.lol

axlish
24-Feb-2008, 04:50 AM
I've been doing reviews for deadpit dot com (http://www.deadpit.com) and I recently posted my thoughts on this gem there (http://www.deadpit.com/blog/?p=300).

MissJacksonCA
25-Feb-2008, 02:03 AM
And suddenly I'm wishing my drinking buddies could stomach watching a zombie movie...

It was a bit of a rip off of Day but similarly... I think a lot of zombie movies in the future are going to have a lot of similarities to the holy three that were if for no other reason than because what else are you going to do? I mean if zombies strike wouldn't we try to barricade? Wouldn't our next steps include something like testing on zombies and trying to 'solve' what's going on? Just because someone shoots an idea first doesn't really make everything else a rip off if its a conceiveable inevitability imho.

The birds turning was a bit 'the birds' ish but meh... what irked me was in Dawn of the Dead the remake when Chips didn't get devoured (or those horses in 28 Days Later)... why dont animals become a target and then turn?

ZombieGrrL
11-Mar-2008, 01:56 AM
RE:E wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. As soon as I saw the scene with the cell phone guy I, like most of you, thought immediately of DOTD & that put a bad taste in my mouth. I know it was essential to the plot but could it have been more blatant?!

Danny
11-Mar-2008, 08:12 AM
i actually really enjoyed it, it wasnt trying to adapt a game for once and was smore stand alone and the plot, what there was was allright, the film itself was pretty tight, there werent any scenes you could take out and leave the story complete, and it was nice to see the zombie crows, a reisdent evil staple finally make there appearing halfway through the third bloody movie!:mad:, but thats just a little gype, the ending kinda sucked and it would have been better without alice but wesker finally made an appearance so maybe some other characters will.
overall i enjoyed it, though my podcast cohost didnt care for it one bit and had to be repeatedly told "shut the hell up, im watching this" during the movie when he tried to stirke up conversion in the theatre.
its not the best zombie movie but by far it aint the worst. definatley better than the piece fo **** that is the origional, better than two?....i dunno resi 2 was my favourite and the outbreak scenes in 2 rocked.

Mutineer
16-Apr-2008, 11:12 PM
I remember being such an RE junkie and anticipating the original film and being really let down; the lack of pzombie action in particular pissed me off.

Part 2 was unwatchable and I wrote off the series.

Then

I started watching RE3 and to my surprise, not too bad. I haven't finished it yet but so far, I am not complaining if even a B movie.

It's fun.

Doc
17-Apr-2008, 01:53 AM
Resident Evil 1- Quiet decent imo. Not great but not that bad.

Resident Evil 2- Crap. The only thing enjoyable was all the cops in the city fighting the zeds but other than that, this film is not something I want to see for a while.:barf:

Resident Evil 3- Meh I still like the first one better, but this is better than awful part 2.

Isn't there a Resident Evil 4 planned?

axlish
17-Apr-2008, 01:55 AM
Isn't there a Resident Evil 4 planned?

There is a feature length CGI film on the way.

Mutineer
17-Apr-2008, 02:04 AM
CGI ?

But why ?!

Choas
17-Apr-2008, 03:04 AM
It was a good movie.It was a rip off of Day.

Zombill
17-Apr-2008, 05:57 AM
CGI ?

But why ?!

To finally tie in the games with the movies is what I've heard

Legion2213
17-Apr-2008, 11:00 AM
The birds turning was a bit 'the birds' ish but meh... what irked me was in Dawn of the Dead the remake when Chips didn't get devoured (or those horses in 28 Days Later)... why dont animals become a target and then turn?

Because everything would be zombiefied in a few days, one nip off a lill' zombie mouse while you sleep and BAM, you are the new Bub. We can easily barricade against "big" humans, but try making a place mouseproof, or insect proof...wouldn't leave much time or scope for stories, and I also believe that it would de-claw/hamstring the threat of human zeds, one minute they have you surrounded, the next they are all shufling off after a cat or something.

Zombies are threatening because they eat only living human flesh, no dead stuff, no animals....just you and me...and if they corner you, they never get distracted or go away

Mutineer
17-Apr-2008, 07:06 PM
Finished last night

Overall enjoyable but I do tend to tune out when the Bio Monsters enter the picture. I like a zombie film that centers around the zombie outbreak, not the Umbrella Corp coverups and bio mutant storylines.

I also don't dig the martial arts crap in these films. I like to keep my films plausible not full of comic book bull****

Still, I was entertained if even I wont watch it again.

2.5 Out of 5 Stars

Loneshambler
18-Apr-2008, 08:06 PM
The "zombified" crows are very normal for the Biohazard/Resident Evil universe, and are staples of the series. They've become somewhat iconic, as they're featured in every single BH game thus far. I know not everyone is that familiar with the series, but I'm surprised to see so many comments on them as if they didn't with the movie or something.

As a die hard Biohazard fan, I was very let down with this film. The first film was actually slightly decent, for being a zombie flick based off of a video game that was inspired by Romero's work. The 2nd film, while horrible, at least had that really hot actress playing Jill Valentine, who was distracting enough to make the film tolerable most of the time.

This film just lacked the sense of dumb, innocent fun that the first two films had. It tries to be a little more serious, but just ends up coming off as extremely boring. And what is up with Alice's super powers? They take it WAY too far in this film, and it just comes off as extremely cheesy, if anything. I can forgive them for raping the BH story/timeline, seeing as I expected that to happen with the big screen adaption, but this film really just took things too far.

1.5 out of 5. The film loses a half point just for having such an incredibly awful actor portray Wesker. *shudders*. So bad...

The new CGI Biohazard film is being developed by CAPCOM of Japan, and will be canon with the rest of the story line from the game series. Many of the main characters form the series will be present, and it has been hinted a lot of things will be revealed, along with the upcoming Biohazard 5 for the 360 and PS3.

Danny
18-Apr-2008, 10:02 PM
Just rewatched it and the extras and its easily my favourite of the three.

first off they made a zombie movie in the desert in daylight, now thats a brave move for one that most people dont even think is that special, FINALLY the zombie crows are on screen, an iconic bad guy form the series and overall it was good as a "what if?" story ,instead of trying to adapt a game, wich never works, they used the biohazard mythos to make a sotry of there own, so rather than the proposed adaption of code veronica i think it turned out pretty good.

and whilst its not everyones cup of tea what pisses me off is people bitching about it haveing b movie kung fu and bio weapons.

....THE SERIES IS CALLED "BIO-HAZARD"!, its based on cheesy action horror games based on cheesy B-movies, they never attempted to be anything more, so if you dont like the bioweapons angle or the b movie action why are you watching this and then complaining about it, this isnt just sticking up for this movie, im talking about the whole thing in general of openly disliking soethign, then going to see something with that in it and then complaining it wasnt very good because of said reasons.

UndeadGuyX
19-Apr-2008, 05:05 PM
This movie is terrible. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. I didn't think they could make a movie worse than RE: Apocalypse but they somehow pulled it off with Extinction.

It doesn't help that I am a HUGE fan of the games and this doesn't relate in any way to them. Having the Alice character with her "Force Powers" is bad enough. Its like putting Superman in the original Night of the Living Dead. Doesn't fit in wit the source material AT ALL. :annoyed:

jim102016
19-Apr-2008, 07:33 PM
Zombie crows? Similar to the dogs in the second installment? Should have made those dogs angry french poodles that were coming back from the groomer when the plaque hit!

The series is different than GAR and doesn't belong in the same universe, but I guess if you like seeing video games come to life these movies should choke your chicken. If it comes on TNT or Sci Fi, I might watch a minute of it while the paint is drying on my cat's ass.

UndeadGuyX
19-Apr-2008, 11:44 PM
Zombie crows? Similar to the dogs in the second installment? Should have made those dogs angry french poodles that were coming back from the groomer when the plaque hit!

The series is different than GAR and doesn't belong in the same universe, but I guess if you like seeing video games come to life these movies should choke your chicken. If it comes on TNT or Sci Fi, I might watch a minute of it while the paint is drying on my cat's ass.

Thats the point of my post though, the movies have nothing to do with the games. Its a completely different genre for one thing. Games = survival horror, Movies = mindless action.

Zombie Snack
21-Apr-2008, 12:38 PM
yea it "borrowed" a few ideas from Day...but I thought it was okay...better than RE2 and visually it had a pretty cool apocalyptic look and feel. Burn down...twice ...and enjoy it for what it is...i did

Rottedfreak
21-Apr-2008, 05:45 PM
Now they can't use plagas since they destroyed the world.

Danny
21-Apr-2008, 07:01 PM
Now they can't use plagas since they destroyed the world.

you never know, alices blood is the cure, theres loads of her, alaska might be fine, and therefore other areas, and whilst japan was full of zombies it wasnt a desert so i dont think the whole world was like that just the american midwest.

UndeadGuyX
21-Apr-2008, 09:26 PM
...and enjoy it for what it is...i did

And what is it exactly?

Zombie Snack
22-Apr-2008, 12:22 PM
And what is it exactly?

well that will vary from person to person, ....I am not a FAN of the video game, never ever played it, so for me personaly it was a FUN entertaining hour and a half on a tuesday evening, sitting back enjoying a few adult beverages and smoking some fine green, with my sexy wife and her very sexy girlfriend...It was a good choice for visualy stimulating background fodder while we all laughed and chatted and enjoyed the movie. I'm sure some really liked it for their own independant reasons and some just spew venom at it for specific reasons...I neither LOVE or HATE the film, but enjoyed the 1/12 hours we sat and watched it.

UndeadGuyX
22-Apr-2008, 06:12 PM
so for me personaly it was a FUN entertaining hour and a half on a tuesday evening, sitting back enjoying a few adult beverages and smoking some fine green, with my sexy wife and her very sexy girlfriend...

That would make any crappy movie fun...

Yojimbo
22-Apr-2008, 06:48 PM
That would make any crappy movie fun...

I was about to say!

Hell, with that set up you could watch "Thats So Raven" and not want to kill yourself.

Zombie Snack
23-Apr-2008, 12:42 AM
Thats so raven!!!....I believe that would require breaking out the pharmacuticals and the good $h!t.....
Burning down now and gonna go watch Hells Kitchen with the sexy wife....she is a chef by profession....so it's off to go watch Gordon Ramsey beret and belittle some schmuck in the kitchen..........

UndeadGuyX
23-Apr-2008, 12:46 AM
All this really proves is that Resident Evil: Extinction is still a crappy movie...

Bill-117
23-Apr-2008, 02:44 AM
But it did have one good thing!

Zombie crow flocks.

...do crows flock? Herd? Flight of crows, maybe?

Rottedfreak
23-Apr-2008, 06:23 AM
A murder of crows is the right phrase.

Next up: the survivors find Alaska has been taken over by the Plagas.

SymphonicX
23-Apr-2008, 12:11 PM
Saw this movie the other night. What a complete and utter pile of rubbish. Still, adter two sequels they haven't understood how to create believable characters....even worse, this movie overstepped the "homage" line and completely ripped off many movies...even the crow scene resembled The Birds...underground bunkers, domesticating zombies, mad max style vehicles...seriously not one original idea in this whole crap-fest...AND HOW MANY TIMES DO WE NEED TO SEE THAT BLOODY CGI ANIMATION OF THE UMBRELLA BASE? Christ it popped up like 7 times in that whole film...yeah it looked pretty in the first one, but its ****in' old now.

What a waste of 100 mins.

ProfessorChaos
06-Jul-2008, 02:00 AM
so this is on tv right now, and holy crap...what an unoriginal piece of garbage. from what i've seen, it reminds me of mad max trying to rip off day (i swear, some of the lines used in the research facility were pulled straight from day of the dead)....and now all of the sudden the zombies in this run and scream like dinosaurs?!?! oh wait, this came out after dawn 04, so there's ANOTHER movie that this one rips off.

all the characters are cookie-cutter morons, and this movie has fu(k-all to do with anything resident evil.

i don't even think i'm gonna finish watching this, as i've got a million and one other things to do to occupy my time other than watch this crap-fest. soooo glad i didn't pay anything to suffer through this.

Wyldwraith
06-Jul-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't get it,

Yes, the movie had some irritating qualities. I can't imagine how the T-Virus could possibly affect climate. That aggravated me. I was also bothered by the idiocy displayed by Wesker and his bodyguard. ("Gee, I've been infected by a super-upgrade of the T-Virus, I think I'm going to inject myself with horrendous amounts of anti-virus containing the T-Virus itself.") Or the bodyguard: "Gee, I know my boss has been infected by the super T-Virus and is in his lab injecting himself with God-knows-what. I think when I decide to shoot him I'll put a single bullet in his chest. I mean, that ALWAYS stops a zombie, right?"

Where does Umbrella FIND these guys!?!?!

All that aside however, I judge a movie by one simple pass/fail standard, Ie: "Did this movie provide an entertaining experience on the whole?"

For me Extinction did just that. Yes, I can pick bits of it apart, but overall it did what it set out to do. It was a zombie/mutant post-apocalyptic flick that jammed a bunch of violence into a loose narrative and set the whole thing loose.

What I REALLY don't get is how people can dislike Alice. I've often wished I could transplant a character that behaved/thought like the Alice character (minus the massive psi-powers) into good survival horror films. She behaves pragmatically, thinks fast on her feet and doesn't break down and blubber while in mortal danger.

Anyways, I liked the flick.

acealive1
06-Jul-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't get it,

Yes, the movie had some irritating qualities. I can't imagine how the T-Virus could possibly affect climate. That aggravated me. I was also bothered by the idiocy displayed by Wesker and his bodyguard. ("Gee, I've been infected by a super-upgrade of the T-Virus, I think I'm going to inject myself with horrendous amounts of anti-virus containing the T-Virus itself.") Or the bodyguard: "Gee, I know my boss has been infected by the super T-Virus and is in his lab injecting himself with God-knows-what. I think when I decide to shoot him I'll put a single bullet in his chest. I mean, that ALWAYS stops a zombie, right?"

Where does Umbrella FIND these guys!?!?!

All that aside however, I judge a movie by one simple pass/fail standard, Ie: "Did this movie provide an entertaining experience on the whole?"

For me Extinction did just that. Yes, I can pick bits of it apart, but overall it did what it set out to do. It was a zombie/mutant post-apocalyptic flick that jammed a bunch of violence into a loose narrative and set the whole thing loose.

What I REALLY don't get is how people can dislike Alice. I've often wished I could transplant a character that behaved/thought like the Alice character (minus the massive psi-powers) into good survival horror films. She behaves pragmatically, thinks fast on her feet and doesn't break down and blubber while in mortal danger.

Anyways, I liked the flick.

i think you saw the movie with your eyes closed. the virus came into contact with humans. and that made them kill other humans. without us here to maintain things, like street bridges and harbors, it'll all eventually turn back into swamp or desert land.

Wyldwraith
07-Jul-2008, 07:59 AM
No,
In the prologue at the beginning when Alice narrates the introduction she specifically mentions that "The T-Virus mutated, altering the climate" or something to that effect. It's during the visual of showing the earth from a high-orbit view, with the land masses looking much lighter brown than normal (their representation of desert I surmise)

Yes, without humans to maintain all the structures we've built to affect the environment a ton of bad things would happen. The Discovery channel did a what-if style documentary called something like Earth Population Zero. Starts from day 1 as if all of humanity just vanishes and goes to 100 years in the future I believe.

Interestingly the documentary said that the last power grid in the western hemisphere to go offline would be Nevada's. Apparently the Hoover Dam can continue operating at up to 70% capacity for 3-5 years with no human intervention. It finally goes offline when the bearings burn out around the 6yr mark.

I take your meaning to a large extent though. The Mississipi would blast through the levies and envelope its ancient flood plain again etc.

I don't think that the absence of man would turn the US into a desert though.

Danny
07-Jul-2008, 08:48 AM
not the climate, the virus in extinction destroyed vegetation and almost all sea life.

acealive1
07-Jul-2008, 06:21 PM
not the climate, the virus in extinction destroyed vegetation and almost all sea life.

thanks for the backup,homes

Wyldwraith
09-Jul-2008, 05:31 AM
Point conceded,
I didn't consider the fact that the oceans' algae provides like 40% of the carbon dioxide-to-oxygen exchange for the planet. If the T-Virus wiped out all the algae blooms then yea, that would probably make the climate much more arid. A shortage of "free" oxygen atoms would mean less water.

That was an excellent point. Of course that factor would also lend itself to a phenomena that would over time dramatically thin the zombie population. Superstorms. The movie The Day After Tomorrow is an excellent example of what you can expect to see when the greenhouse effect eventually melts enough of the poles to dump enough fresh water into the Atlantic to stop that tremendous heat-exchange process the mid-Atlantic current is responsible for.

Flash-frozen T-Zombie-Popsicles anyone?

Wooley
12-Jul-2008, 06:25 PM
I saw Re:E in the theater, and liked it. Yes, it wasn't some magnificent masterpiece of filmmaking, but then again, I held no expections as such.

I went to see cute women, with big guns, and one liners, blast formerly living people, and I got that.

"Climb the Effiel Tower with a high powered rifle. A few years ago, that'd have caused quite a stir."

slickwilly13
12-Jul-2008, 10:17 PM
I saw it last night for the first time. Not too bad. Part 2 was worse. Btw, the Tyrant at the end should have been in the first movie. Do you think he would have slaughtered everyone if he wasn't betrayed, fired, and shot in the chest? He appeared to be fully aware of what he was doing and even showed fear after Alice drove a blade deep into his right shoulder.

jim102016
25-Jul-2008, 05:07 AM
I always give Resident Evil movies hell, finally saw Extinction tonight. I'll have to admit, the begining wasn't bad, it shared some interesting parallels with GAR's Day. Time it got to the attacking birds scene followed by Vegas, I was bored.

I don't understand why this Umbrella Corporation didn't have more than just a single chain link fence guarding the entrance to such an extensive underground facility? Maybe they should have put the entrance on top of a mountain.

Bub666
25-Jul-2008, 05:24 AM
I just saw it the other day,not bad.It's not the greatest,but I've seen alot worse.

CornishCorpse
29-Jul-2008, 01:50 PM
Saw it the other day and it was one hell of a stinker. The first film is the best out of the three but that also stunk, caught it in cinema the first 18 flick I snuck into see and big RE fan and it fell on its face. Two was worse wtf to Nemesis fighting alice and the third one was a clusterscrew.

Stay away from this, you should all know better.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2008, 01:59 PM
Stay away from this, you should all know better.

Now I want to see it! :lol:

CornishCorpse
29-Jul-2008, 02:02 PM
Gah have a couple mates round and a couple of cans to ease the pain. Bright side its not as bad as house of the dead

JasonEdw
08-Sep-2008, 05:38 AM
I agree with the observations of the similarities. I actually thought (from how RE2 ended) that Alice was going to get her revenge on Umbrella in the 3rd. I guess that's the 4th one.
But speaking of Milla Jovovich movies, I thought Ultraviolet should have been the Aeon Flux movie...