PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabia on a Witch Hunt?

Doc
24-Feb-2008, 06:39 AM
I know the world is degrading a fair bit in some areas, but are we going to have a repeat of the bloody middle ages?! :rockbrow:

SAUDI Arabia's religious police plan to behead a woman accused of being a witch, a human rights group says.

Human Rights Watch has asked the country's king to intervene over "absurd charges that have no basis in law".

Fawza Falih was arrested and interrogated in the northern town of Quraiyat two years ago and sentenced to death.

The judges who convicted her relied on her forced confession and the statements of witnesses who said she had "bewitched" them.

One man claimed he became impotent after Ms Falih cast a spell on him.

Witchcraft is considered an offence against Islam in Saudi Arabia.

Ms Falih retracted her confession in court, saying it was extracted under duress and she could not understand the document because she is illiterate.

The death sentence was lifted on appeal, but reimposed in the name of "public interest" soon after.

Human Rights Watch's Middle East director Joe Stork said: "The fact that Saudi judges still conduct trials for unprovable crimes like 'witchcraft' underscores their inability to carry out objective criminal investigations."

SymphonicX
24-Feb-2008, 09:07 AM
****ing hell.....how do the Saudi Government expect to be taken seriously with **** like that? I mean...c'mon....hanging people in public is bad enough, doing it for little to no reason is just bizarre and evil....

Tricky
24-Feb-2008, 09:25 AM
Bloody hell i hope these lunatics never get control of britain :( (a lot of people think they will within the next 50 years or so as they are outbreeding the native population)

EvilNed
24-Feb-2008, 10:44 AM
Bloody hell i hope these lunatics never get control of britain :( (a lot of people think they will within the next 50 years or so as they are outbreeding the native population)

So all muslims are just "lunatics", now? (Altough you know my view on religion in general...)

Tricky
24-Feb-2008, 12:53 PM
So all muslims are just "lunatics", now? (Altough you know my view on religion in general...)

No,but the ones making the rules in saudi obviously are!

Neil
24-Feb-2008, 07:52 PM
I know the world is degrading a fair bit in some areas, but are we going to have a repeat of the bloody middle ages?! :rockbrow:

Absolute nonsense! Just do the 'float test'! That'll sort it!

Marie
24-Feb-2008, 08:04 PM

At the risk of sounding bigoted, they haven't degraded, at least not since the Middle Ages. They just apparently stoped developing. This is just another way to keep women "In their place" like forbidding them to drive or forbidding them a place in paradise except to serve men.

Get it?

M_

Legion2213
25-Feb-2008, 01:22 AM
Islam is rooted in the middle ages, that's why no Islamic countries have ever really progressed from the middle ages.

This is the most dangerous religion on the planet IMO, and I make no apologies for holding those veiws.

As for this poor woman, God help her.

kortick
25-Feb-2008, 01:42 AM
I wouldn't go calling these people lunatics
or living in the dark ages.

English Witchcraft Laws
Until 1951, England had laws strictly prohibiting the practice of witchcraft. When the last act was repealed, Gerald Gardner began to publish his work, and brought witchcraft back into the public eye without threat of prosecution.

It wasn't so long ago England behaved similarly.
Not exactly, but close enough.

Give these people a chance to come around
Its horrible incidents like this that invoke change.
Unforunately many times death is the price we pay for progress.

Neil
25-Feb-2008, 08:23 AM
that's why no Islamic countries have ever really progressed from the middle ages.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Dubai_night_skyline.jpg

Legion2213
25-Feb-2008, 09:08 AM
Built with oil money and by foriegn contractors.

Still a primitive, middle age society that treats women like second class citizens, hangs homosexuals, tries people for witchcraft, etc.

So, nice pic, but it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the fact they have oil to sell...what else do muslim countries produce by their own hands (bar suicide murderers)?

Neil
25-Feb-2008, 09:25 AM
Built with oil money and by foriegn contractors.

Still a primitive, middle age society that treats women like second class citizens, hangs homosexuals, tries people for witchcraft, etc.

So, nice pic, but it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the fact they have oil to sell...what else do muslim countries produce by their own hands (bar suicide murderers)?

Dude! Calm down a bit please... You're getting into dangerous territory making such sweeping accusations...

This is sort of appropriate I guess - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programme.shtml?day=today&service_id=4224&filename=20080225/20080225_2100_4224_27801_60