PDA

View Full Version : The most pointless code in a game ever?

Neil
27-Feb-2008, 01:14 PM
Really what is the point of this???

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/22593/PC/Far-Cry-2

What's next computer generated paint drying?

Mike70
27-Feb-2008, 01:37 PM
Really what is the point of this???

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/22593/PC/Far-Cry-2

What's next computer generated paint drying?

that does seem to be ridiculously pointless doesn't it? if someone gets this please let the rest of us in on the joke.

Skippy911sc
27-Feb-2008, 03:10 PM
I think it is just showing the destructible environment with in the game. Then how the game restores these environmental object again. No joke just a stupid vid.

Neil
27-Feb-2008, 04:51 PM
I think it is just showing the destructible environment with in the game. Then how the game restores these environmental object again. No joke just a stupid vid.

But why bother? Are you really going to be in an environment long enough to notice?

Terran
27-Feb-2008, 08:30 PM
I think its cool....even if it is just garnish

Mutineer
27-Feb-2008, 09:15 PM
But why bother? Are you really going to be in an environment long enough to notice?

No no no

This is great; computers are advancing exponentially. One day, our game environments will be completely immersive with toal destruction of all elements

Imagine being in a firefight in the jungle (In a game) and unloading on some shrubbery the enemy has crouched in and just laying waste to the landscape ...

This is good. Seems pointless now, but 10 years from now ? It'll rock.

The goal is total realism (virtual)

Neil
27-Feb-2008, 09:18 PM
No no no

This is great; computers are advancing exponentially. One day, our game environments will be completely immersive with toal destruction of all elements

Imagine being in a firefight in the jungle (In a game) and unloading on some shrubbery the enemy has crouched in and just laying waste to the landscape ...

This is good. Seems pointless now, but 10 years from now ? It'll rock.

The goal is total realism (virtual)

No one is talking about that, it's the tree growing back that is utterly a waste of time surely? Why would you bother standing their watching it grow over X virtual months/years?

Danny
27-Feb-2008, 10:15 PM
No one is talking about that, it's the tree growing back that is utterly a waste of time surely? Why would you bother standing their watching it grow over X virtual months/years?

for the same reason people climb everest to see whats up there.

because we can and we like it that way.

SRP76
28-Feb-2008, 05:25 AM

Don't know why they do it, but some people actually would stand there and watch a virtual tree grow.

Neil
28-Feb-2008, 08:07 AM
for the same reason people climb everest to see whats up there.

because we can and we like it that way.

So you're comparing climbing everest with standing at a monitor for tens of hours/days just watching a virtual twig get an inch longer... Hmmm...

Who said human endeavour was dead!

clanglee
28-Feb-2008, 08:15 AM
cant really be time lapse anyways, has to be real time. the grass is waying real time and the tree is growing fast while the gun moves around real time. Kinda um. . . well. . it's. . .well. . it's a video all right.

MinionZombie
28-Feb-2008, 10:06 AM
"time laps" eh? Now there's an exciting race. :lol:

I think it's pretty cool, obviously the tree is sped up, they won't re-grow that quick in the game, but then you wonder if they could grow slowly and be worth it? So therefore there'd have to be an explanation to cover the fast-growing trees - not that fast as seen in the time lapse video, but still.

It reminds me of something GTA really could use - being able to blow up buildings, or drive your car or truck into a coffee shop and cause a load of damage. Then be able to see the fire department come, ambulances and the cops setting up a road block as they process the crime scene, then you see builders coming along and re-building the coffee shop, which will then have a slightly different scheme to it (i.e. different colour paint or something) - now THAT would be awesome.

Craig
28-Feb-2008, 10:09 AM
So you're comparing climbing everest with standing at a monitor for tens of hours/days just watching a virtual twig get an inch longer... Hmmm...

Who said human endeavour was dead!
I hope we never see the day a 'Virtual Everest' is put into development.

Neil
28-Feb-2008, 10:51 AM
I hope we never see the day a 'Virtual Everest' is put into development.

Maybe the virtual railway simulator that was released a few years back is as close as we want to get to this!

Danny
28-Feb-2008, 11:09 AM
^what about that penn and teller game were our driving a bus for 8 hours without stops or even a pause function down a highway to vegas with the bus swaying to the left or right every so often. :lol:

Andy
28-Feb-2008, 12:55 PM
Ha ha this whole topic reminds me of when i first got my xbox360 and i was playing dead rising, and telling my mate about the acheivements, and i mentioned the 7 day one, where you have to play the game constantly for 18 hours in endurance mode (cant quit and come back), and my mate was just like, why would you want to do that? and i said, becuase you get 20 points and a pair of boxers for frank :|

lol good times.

MinionZombie
28-Feb-2008, 03:21 PM
Jesus, 18 hours? You'd have to have a whole bank of fans blowin' hardcore on that mofo to get that...:eek:

I'm glad I'm not an achievement chaser, otherwise I'd do nothing but...but I like them as a little bonus. :)